University of Oregon

« See more reviews of University of Oregon

About 99% of the student body is middle to upper class and moderate to very liberal. There are a few gays and the student body is very accepting of all sexual orientations. Most students don't dress up to go to class. Many are in sweatpants and look like they just rolled out of bed. The beginning of my freshman year a group of girls from LA all wore their heels to class for about a week but that was about as dressy as it got. The vast majority of students are from the Portland area, followed by California and Seattle. The only real cliques formed are the Greeks and the jocks. Other than that there are groups of friends from class and and dorms. Since UO tends to be so liberal it's kind of difficult to take the conservative stance. I'm a Democrat and also pro-life. Last year I spoke up about that in one of my classes and everyone rolled their eyes or started shouting at me I eventually just said I didn't have anything else to add and sat silently while they bounced ideas they all agreed with off of one another. I left UO after one year because it felt too much like high school. Two hundred fifty kids from my graduating high school class attended and three girls and a boy were in my building of forty five rooms. You may hear "It's such a big campus, you'll never see anyone you know" but that isn't true. Everyone from out-of-state absolutely loves it though. Most students are pretty relaxed when it comes to academics. Most are driven to earn B's, not A's and most aren't very career minded, at least not yet.

Here at the University of Oregon we have a very diverse student body. One of the great things about the dorms is that you are exposed to so many different types of people. You are then given the chance to become friends with some people that you might not have become friends with if you had not been living in the dorms. My friends include those involved in the LGBT community, the women's center on campus, the student government, fraternities and sororities, the band and other various organizations. I think that students at the University of Oregon can be open about who they are without feeling judged. Since I have been here I have really gained a sense of home here at the University of Oregon. Most students that attend the U of O are from Oregon, California, Washington and Hawaii but there are also a lot of students that are from other regions of the country. I am from Texas, my roommate is from Missouri and I have friends from South Dakota, Alabama, New York, Illinois and Colorado. At the University of Oregon there is a spot for everyone. The school is large but you often run into the same people which can make it feel small at the same time. I have made some of my best friends here, all with diverse backgrounds.

Most of the students at UO are from Oregon, so when I get asked where I'm from I usually say "West Linn" or "the Portland area". The majority of out-of-state students are from along the West coast. A lot of people I know don't have a lot to spend on school, so staying close to home is a good way to save money. Many students are on financial aid, so it's nothing to be embarrassed about. Student clothing depends a lot on what term it is. It rains a lot in Eugene, but many of us don't use umbrellas. (It's only water!) In the fall and winter, I see a lot of people in sweaters and jackets. In the spring, there's a lot of sun, so people love to put on their shorts and study on the grass. In the business school, I also see a lot of people dressed up to give presentations for their classes. At UO, just like in Oregon in general, there are a lot of white people, but minorities are definitely accepted. There are several student clubs and activities on campus to promote diversity. As an employee at UO Disability Services, I think UO does a good job of accommodating students with disabilities. I work with students who have difficulty hearing lectures, and they are generally quite successful with their classes.

The students at my school are very diverse and tend to be very passionate about different subjects that they believe in. There is many organizations on campus for different groups including LGBT, Fraternity and Sorority Life, different ethnic groups, intramural sports, etc. I can't think of any student I would see feeling out of place at this school because basically every different group and stereotype is represented. Most students tend to dress nicely for class at the beginning of the terms, wearing jeans or a nice top, but once the rain starts to fall students tend to wear sweats and Ugg boots. Different types of students interact when group projects are involved, people are involved in the same organizations, and people want study buddies. However, there is a slight division when it comes to choice of who people hang out with. Foreign students tend to display having a lot of money, for example driving around in Mercedes and BMWs, but most students tend to come from the suburban middle class. There is political activism on campus, predominantly for the left side. However, not so much that you feel overwhelmed. Overall, it is a very diverse and open campus!

University of Oregon is very diverse and has students and administration from all sorts of backgrounds. There are so many groups and clubs one can join depending on their background, which allows them to meet students who are similar to them. I don't believe any student could be out of place at this school, because I have seen every kind of person on campus at one point or another. The diversity adds character to the university and allows for people to learn about different kinds of students. Though most students are from Oregon or California, there are many students from all over the nation and all over the world. Last year one of my roommates was from China and the other from England, and this year I have a different roommate from China, which shows how common exchange students are here.

The students at the UO are a very diverse group. Anyone can find a niche here- whether your looking for a particular click or you're a free floater like me and talk to almost anyone, you'll do fine. Most of the students in my classes are very relaxed, not in a hippie-bohemian way (though we have those too), generally in a cool, welcoming, calm sort of way. Most of the time, students show up in yoga pants or sweats- though when there is nicer weather we do like to throw on the shorts, tank-tops and sundresses. As for being politically aware, the student population does a good job of keeping their peers very aware. There is a law school on campus and many political clubs you can join if your interested. And of course, the athletes are the stars of the school.

There is a place for everyone here. There are clubs for different races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, general interests, and more. I've noticed that girls usually wear boots and leggings or some sort of yoga pant to class. Boys vary considerably on what they wear, from skinny jeans to athletic shorts. Most of the students here that I've met seem to be from California or the Portland, OR area. I would say that most students are from middle class families, but the people I've met don't really talk about it. Many students are very politically aware and active. I would say that most of them are left, but there is also a good portion that are center, too. They are also very active about issues involving the school and community.

There are many different student run organisations on campus and they are all well formed and influential. Any student who wants to participate has a great opportunity to thrive at this school because there are so many ways in which to get involved. Most students in the UO tend to be from Oregon or the Bay Area, with exceptions for international students and others from out of state. Everyone tends to interact equally in the school environment and there is a friendly atmosphere with most people. Eugene is one of the friendliest places I've ever been to - where sometimes the locals are nicer to the College students than the students are to each other.

University of Oregon is a predominately Caucasian school. Most kids come from middle class families from outside of Portland or California. At the same time, everyone at U of O is very welcoming and warm so it is not like if you don't meet those credentials you would feel uncomfortable. Most people would be more excited to meet someone from a different area or background than the typical ones. Being such a relaxed school most people don't dress up for class. Girls usually wear yoga pants and a jacket to class while guys will wear pants and something like a flannel. We do have a lot of Asian exchange students so you will see them all over campus too.

The LGBT community is SMALL. Granted, because it's a university campus it's bigger than smaller towns, but it's nowhere near as diverse as it should be. In spite of this, the LGBTQA seems like a good enough group for networking and support, though I've never actually been associated with it. Wear what you want to class. If you don't care, professors probably won't. Students here seem mostly politically left to moderate, but as a result, those who are to the right are extremely to the right. Do students talk about how much they'll earn one day? You're bound to find a bunch who do in Lillis. But that's the exception rather than the rule.