University of Oregon

« See more reviews of University of Oregon

Once you are in the upper division classes, teachers actually get to know you as long as you make an effort. Almost all of them are extremely approachable and easy to have a real conversation with.

They are like any typical college's academics. Some classes are challenging, some extremely easy, and some professors are idiots. It just depends on your class and what level you're in.

I have actually been engaged by my classes. The feeling of excitement to learn is new to me. My classes have actually turned me onto much more than I ever expected.

The U of O has an outstanding psychology department with brilliant professors.

Professors are nice. Good for them. Stupid hippies

They are great. I like them.

If it wasn't for the honors college, I would have been frustrated with my academic experience here. My advice would be to choose a major that the school is strong in, and not just something that interests you, because there are definite differences in program strength here. My honors classes made up all of my undergraduate requirements and never have more than 25 people in them, are discussion based, and can sometimes result in an end-of-term dinner at the professor's house. Students are largely non-competitive which is WONDERFUL (I wanted to go to an East Coast school and can't tell you now how glad I am that I didn't) and everyone takes their academics pretty seriously. The most unique class I've taken was 19th Century German Poetry and Song: it was taught by two professors, and had 7 kids in the class. I learned so much random stuff but was exposed to a whole new kind of learning experience. I won't ever forget that class. In addition to twice a week meetings, we had to attend a concert, and then had a dinner party at one professor's house where we talked about our final papers. We actually didn't talk about our papers at all and just enjoyed our professor's culinary skills and each other's company.

As a music student, I have yet to be in a music class that exceeds 50 people. My experience in the music school has been especially great, not only because the class sizes are small, but because my relationships with the professors are personable and interactive. I get the sense that each one of my professors is dedicated in helping me succeed throughout my college career. Being a music major can be tough. We are required to take the core classes such as theory, aural skills, keyboarding and music history, all within our first and second years of undergrad. I remember thinking to myself, is this possible? Am I going to fail miserably? Will I still enjoy music as much as I did in high school? It took some getting used to during my first couple of week, but as the term progressed I was able to get to know my professors, who helped me immensely every step of the way. By the end of the year I was getting A's and B's in all of my music classes, solely because I was committed to my passion in music and because my professors were committed in me.

The academics at the University of Oregon are very well rounded. Lecture classes consist of around 300 students, while regular classes consist of 20 to 30 students. It is very easy to gain a close relationship with your professors. All of the professors I have had so far have been very intelligent and very well educated in their fields. They are all very enthusiastic and passionate about their teachings as well which makes class more interesting and engages students. Students in classes are very engaged during class as well as outside of class. Making appointments with teachers outside of class is very easy, and professors have certain hours required to open their office doors for students to visit with questions or concerns. The professors at the University of Oregon are very invested in the success of their students.

3 out of my 5 professors this term know my name. I love my oceanography, we get to watch deep blue. My journalism class is really hard...you get an automatic F for any spelling commas, or fact errors on any assignment. I study about 2 hours a night. Class participation is common depending on the class... more class participation in a literature class.... very little in a huge lecture. Yea we have intellectual conversations outside of class. My roommate took a tree identification class.