University of Oregon

« See more reviews of University of Oregon

It's all about sports! We love our football, basketball, baseball, everything! That doesn't mean everyone attends every game, or knows every player. I could walk right by a star football player and not even realize it. Although I'm not present at all the games, I do watch many of them, and I do keep up with the current stats of our teams. It's impossible not to! On flyers, in the newspaper, and in conversations humming around campus you hear the latest sports news. Me personally, I'm more involved in the sciences. As a member of an evolutionary biology lab at the UO, I get to rub elbows with post-docs and professors, I get to feed and count worms, and I get to be a member of a research team that is actually publishing new findings (not to mention how cool it is that I have keys to some of the science buildings and labs). As a transfer/post-bac student, I have no idea what dorm life is like at the UO. I grew up in Eugene, moved away, and ended up at the UO, back in Eugene after several years. My close friends I have had since pre-school. I have however made a lot of friends at the UO. But since I have my close circle of friends and a serious boyfriend, I'm not knowledgeable about the UO dating scene. Although, I have more than one acquaintance who married his/her UO college sweetheart. People at the UO party as much or as little as they want to. I'm over 21, so sometimes I go to the bars. Taylors, Rennies, Max's, and the new Webfoot are all fun, and friendly with delicious bar food! I especially like Taylors', because during the summer you can sit outside, get a cheap pitcher, and watch the game or tv from on the porch--the people watching from this perch is also excellent. Taylors is also good for dancing. Rennies has delicious bloody mary's. and Max's has been here since my mom graduated from the UO in 1969--the drinks are good, the popcorn is free, and Max himself still lives above the bar. I have heard that the greek life students will party a lot, but as for the group of students I know, we go to bars or hang out at home. The newest fun thing is karaoke. O Bar, near student housing, has an awesome pajama karaoke night. We went yesterday and it was amazing.

In my opinion, one of the most popular student organizations is Fraternity and Sorority Life (FSL), partially because I am in this organization. There are so many different student groups on campus that it is hard to distinguish one as being the most popular. But in terms of overall members, I believe FSL dominates this. The student government, ASUO, is also very popular. The dorms are popular for freshman, and students tend to leave their doors open and be social if they are in a freshman dorm. However, though I was freshman age I came to the University with credits so was put in an upper-division dorm. This was not a pleasant experience for myself because most the students within this dorm were not very social. Athletic events are extremely popular, particularly the football games. Getting student tickets tends to be quite challenging. The University of Oregon tends to be a party school, but not on the level of ASU or other Pac-12 Universities. On the weekends though that is the primary activity. If a student doesn't want to drink, there are many activities on campus or around Eugene to partake in, including shooting pool, bowling, etc. Being a member of a sorority, I usually end up going to parties on the weekends. If school is becoming more difficult, however, I'll do other sober activities with friends, like going to the movies.

Football, basketball, and Track are really big here, but all sports get recognition. It kinda depends on what team is hot at the time. Club sports are big, from snowboarding to cycling, there is a club sport for you! Dorms are really fun, with tons of activities for the complex. You WILL meet tons of people, whether you like it or not! Each hall is like a small family it seems like. Rec sports are also big, you can just get your friends together and make a team to play. The athletic facilities are high end, and with constant support from Uncle Phil Knight at Nike, we stay on top of any University in the country. Hands down! The Library is sweet, that is all I can say about it. You don't have to be a party hound here at Oregon, and there are tons of fun things to do in town without drinking. Greek life is here but not huge, known mostly for throwing crazy, non-alcoholic parties for any UO student. Usually broken up because of Fire Code violations. Lots of dancing and fun in Eugene. Last weekend I played beach volleyball and went to the movies.

I think that one of the most popular student activities to participate in are the football games. Sitting in the student section is an experience of its own and you can't help but feel proud to be a Duck. It helps when your team has done really well the past couple years, too. The only downside about football games is the ticket distribution system. Sometimes it can be difficult to get tickets but it is worth it if you do. There are always events to go to. The University puts on events every once in a while like the condom fashion show, the burlesque show, the drag show, plays from the theater department and concerts by the music department. Eugene also has a couple venues to go see bands live. The opening of the Matt Knight Arena (basketball stadium) has brought events like Professional Bull Riding, Elton John, Circ de Soleil and other concerts. If you want to get out of Eugene the coast is about an hour away, the mountains are about an hour away the other direction and Portland is only two hours away.

People tend to only live in the dorms their freshman year. The majority of students live off campus in houses or apartments, but some people continue to live on campus. Even though it's been almost two years since I left the dorms, I am still friends with a lot of the people I lived with. In terms of UO athletics, I would have to say football is the most popular sport to watch, but basketball is also very popular. I have yet to go to a basketball game because I always seem to be working when tickets are distributed, but I've been to some football games and they are extremely fun. Autzen Stadium is off campus, but many students and Eugene residents meet on campus and walk together. I always get excited every time I go to a game. Some people don't like to go unless they're drunk, but I personally have a great time without drinking.

Most students leave their doors open, except for the token hall hermits. Athletic events are popular always, especially this year. Not too big on the dating scene, wish I had more time. My closest friends came from high school and the hall that I lived in freshman year. Also, I have formed some pretty strong bonds through my major. I am always awake Tuesday at 2 am becuase it's always the night that I am completing an epic biochemistry assignment thats due the next day! Parties are easy to come by, but not always fun. Last weekend I stayed in like I have every weekend so far, I'm a little bitter about it. But aside from this term I usually find at least one night to go out or do something other than study. On Saturdays, I usually just chill out at the house with the roommates.

Club sports and intramural sports are very popular, we are a very active campus. The dorms are great places to meet friends, my entire hall is a close knit community, doors are always open and bong always in circulation. We part hard all the time, but on individual terms. Greek life is present, but by no means dominates the social scene. Last weekend i went to a benefit party hosted by the Campbell Club-- a student run housing co-op. On any given Saturday night there are concerts downtown as well as university sponsored events, nothing requires drinking.

Only about 12-15% of people are involved in Greek Life at UO. This is a small amount of the student population, but I still found all but a very few of my closest friends through activities involving Chi Omega and other Fraternities and Sororities. I have truly met many lifelong friends as well as many others that I would have never had the opportunity to meet. Joining a Sorority was the best decision I made in college, and I would recommend at least participating in recruitment to everyone. The other place I met people was the dorms freshman year.

The school is so diverse that clubs, fraternities/ sororities, and other organizations are equally as popular. The most important events of the school are the Football games, by far! The stadiums are always full and on Game Day Eugene is FLOODED with people (so if you need to drive anywhere leave early, expect delays on some bus routes) We just got a new basketball arena so those have been pretty popular as well.

ASUO is the most popular student organization on campus (Association of Students at the University of Oregon). I am involved in the International Student Association. Athletic events are very big. People really want to line up when the favorite team is playing. People party a lot. Thirsty Thursday and during the weekends. Off campus activities, I usually go to Portland or just hang out at my friend's house.