University of Oregon Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

The most common students are athletes, frat kids and intellectuals.

Elisabeth

Hippie.

I'm not sure.

Most people are athletes, athlete obsessors, or athlete wannabes. Most students are partiers as well, and the ones that aren't are usually hiding away.

The stereotype of students at the University Oregon are that they are very kind, laid back, and a good amount of them are stoners. Eugene, Oregon is popular for marijuana usage, and from my observations, the stereotype of students being stoners is pretty accurate. I also believe that the students are kind and laid back, as previously mentioned. People always hold doors open for others, smile and say hello to strangers, and don't cause drama (for the most part).

Addison

A lot of people think University of Oregon is filled with stoners. Although there is some of that around, it is not as prevalent as people believe. There are so many people that go here that have never even smoked in their life! There are places you can go or people you can hang out that aren't involved in smoking. In addition, people that do smoke rarely pressure other kids into doing it. If you don't smoke, no one judges you or thinks differently about you. Oregon is really accepting of all types of people!

Audra

Common stereotypes at the University of Oregon are athletes, hippies, and greeks.

Tanner

I do not know for certain if University of Oregon has a stereotype student body. It is known to hold a lot of international students, and for its crazy sports fans during football season. Most of the talk I hear about University form other students and people outside of the university seem to have accurate information.

The stereotype at the University of Oregon is that we are all hippie athletes who smoke pot. I don't believe that is true, while many students do both, not all of us do.

Beth

Stoners, hippies, liberal activists, and jocks. Not the usual combination. There are plenty of them, but there are also plenty of people that don't fit into these stereotypes.

There is no stereotype that can fit every student at the University of Oregon, and that's one of the best things about this school. The diversity that the school boasts makes it inevitable for incoming students to find their niche.

M

_

There are two distinct stereotypes of students at University of Oregon. First, there are the football fanatics. The Duck football team is well known for its success, Rose Bowl championships, and star athletes. Autzen Stadium is packed for every home game. When people think of U of O, they think football. Critics of the program may also think about the tremendous amount of money spent on the program. However, not every student at UO is a football fanatic. Yes, there are those who party after every game and buy season tickets, but I wouldn't say they are the majority. I know plenty of students who couldn't care less about the football team. If that's what you're into, you'll have no problem finding the football crowed, but that is definitely not all that defines U of O. Secondly, there is the "hippie" stereotype. Being in Eugene, people often associate U of O with liberal environmentalists who preach peace and oppose capitalist ideals. While there are also students who fit into this category, it is not by any means characteristic of the entire student body, and not everyone with these beliefs is the stereotypical "hippie". I would say these two stereotypes are the two extremes at U of O. Most people lie somewhere in between. Everyone finds his/her own niche, which exemplifies the diversity among students at U of O.

Jelve

The common stereotypes at the University of Oregon are being known as a hippie, stoner and frat kids. Yes, the stereotypes are pretty accurate, or at least from what I see. Now there are more california kids than there are oregon. However, the stereotypes do change every year.

The predominate stereotype about the University of Oregon is that the student body consists of a bunch of "pot-smoking hippies." Oregonians usually contrast the University of Oregon with Oregon State, a more conservative agricultural school. The U of O is definitely a more liberal school but it does not define us as a student body. Although you can find people who enjoy smoking and who are quite liberal, that is not all the campus consists of. The University of Oregon is also well known for its great education, athletics and various organizations that one can join. Many people choose to join the Greek system, to join in on intramural teams or to join in on the student government.

The main stereotype at the University of Oregon about its students is that everyone is a liberal hippie who smokes a lot of pot. Although there are a lot of pot smoking liberals who attend the University of Oregon, there are many other types of students who attend the University as well. There are many organizations that a prospective student can get involved in through the school such as intramural sports teams, the student government, the greek system, outdoor groups, and tons of other clubs such as the geology club, the women's center, etc. So although you may have the opportunity to reinforce the stereotype, there are also plenty of opportunities to make your own decisions in building your own character.

Some common stereotypes of the students at the University of Oregon are mainly hippies and hipsters. Oregon is a very "go green" campus, so there are a lot of students who dress and act the part of tree-huggers, and although there is a lot of diversity at UO, this stereotype for the most part is accurate.

The stereotype at the University of Oregon about its students is that everyone is a hippie who smokes a lot of pot. Although there are a lot of pot smoking liberals who attend the University of Oregon, there are many other types of students who attend the University as well. There are many organizations that a prospective student can get involved in through the school such as intramural sports teams, the student government, the greek system, outdoor groups, and tons of other clubs such as the geology club, the women's center, etc. So although you may have the opportunity to reinforce the stereotype, there are also plenty of opportunities to make your own decisions to build your own type of character and individualism.

Anastasia

That they are all hippies. No this is not an accurate stereotype

Amaretta

I'm not really sure of any stereotypes.

There are a lot of fraternity and sorority students as well as a lot of asians but in general I've never heard anyone say we are, as a school, any specific stereotype. We love football at our school I can tell you that. And yes it IS very true that there are a lot of asian foreign exchange students here. It is also an all around joke that are school is made up of mostly californians and that, in my opinion, is very true. In California they jokingly call my university the UC Oregon, which is a play on the whole UC(University of California) system down there. One last stereotype I know of is,yes, the "stoner" stereotype. I personally have never been one but I can see why we might get that stereotype. There are a whole bunch of hippies in Eugene but honestly, every school is a stoner school. It's apparently just the way things are nowadays. Except for Humboldt. That's the ultimate stoner school and everyone knows it.

There are a lot of fraternity and sorority students as well as a lot of asians but in general I've never heard anyone say we are, as a school, any specific stereotype. We love football at our school I can tell you that. And yes it IS very true that there are a lot of asian foreign exchange students here. It is also an all around joke that are school is made up of mostly californians and that, in my opinion, is very true. In California they jokingly call my university the UC Oregon, which is a play on the whole UC(University of California) system down there. One last stereotype I know of is,yes, the "stoner" stereotype. I personally have never been one but I can see why we might get that stereotype. There are a whole bunch of hippies in Eugene but honestly, every school is a stoner school. It's apparently just the way things are nowadays. Except for Humboldt. That's the unltimate stoner school and everyone knows it.

Sian

University of Oregon is a school that is heavily funded by Nike and the Knight family. Due to these ties many of the students at the UO are very health orientated and like to keep in shape. This does eliminate some of the "Jock" stereotypes of the school as many people enjoy working out and there is no day on campus that you will no see someone wearing a gym kit. On the other hand, there are also students who are very politically orientated and have strong activist beliefs and enjoy bringing these ideas to the rest of the student body. UO is an extremely liberal school where people are accepted pretty much as they are.

I think people view the University of Oregon as a school that caters to hippies and free spirits and to an extent I think this is true. But more so there are just a ton of students who are open and honest and trying to learn about themselves and others.

A lot of people think that University of Oregon (UO) students are hippies. To be quite honest, the UO has such a vast number of students (about 20,000 undergrad) that it would be impossible to label them with a single stereotype. Within the crowd that attends the UO you will find any kind of person--from young to old, from redneck to hippie, from American to Asian, from science nerd to football player. The students at UO are extremely diverse--yet recognizable. They have a sort of laid-back coolness about them, like every day is a good day, no matter what. You can point them out of the crowd as they will be decked out in Duck gear, and perhaps sporting Birkenstocks. It may rain on them a lot, but they manage to keep their spirits up no matter what the weather!

The University of Oregon has been stereotyped as being a "hippie" school for quite some time now. Hearing the terms "stoners", "granola munchers", and "tree huggers" was not uncommon for me to hear when people were describing the University to me when I first applied. However, I am from a small town in Idaho so most people there usually see every more liberal state as being this way. I am proud to say, however, that I believe the University of Oregon has a very diverse student body. Yes, it has its fair share of hippies, but along with these there are jocks (obviously, we are the Ducks after all), greek life members (including myself), punk rocker kids, etc. The diverse student body is great because it causes one to branch out of their normal group of friends. Within my sorority in itself there are many hippie girls, Asians, preppy girls, and more!

Ane

The University of Oregon is most known for their athletics, mostly their accomplishments in football. While our sports are superb, we are more than just a football school. Every department at the university is filled with distinguished professors and students alike. The diversity around the school adds to the great dynamic that fills the campus. I have yet to have a negative experience here, and I love every moment I'm here, whether I'm in class, walking around campus, or even going to a football game. There is more to this university than sports, it just takes overcoming the stereotypes to see the University of Oregon at its full potential.

Ane

Mackenzie

The stereotype of University of Oregon is that it is just a big football school that parties hard. In actuality University of Oregon is much more than that, the academics at U of O are strong and the general education requirements result in a well rounded student who is educated in a wide range of subjects.

M

Traditionally, the U of O is known for its hippie stereotype; however, the jock stereotype is becoming increasingly common as Oregon's prominence in college sports rises. As with just about any large state school, there's plenty of communities you can join: nerds, band geeks, yuppies, hippies, frat kids, etc. I would have to say that the city of Eugene is chock full of hippies - which isn't necessarily a bad thing. On the other hand, the school itself perhaps has more of a meathead edge to it. That may just because they're more obnoxious and loud, though.

The stereotype of students at my school is that we are "Jocks" and more concerned with athletics instead of academics. This stereotype is not accurate; for example, I am an accounting student and am much more focused on my academic performance than on my school's athletic performance.

Gabriella

I would definitely say that students at the University of Oregon are proactive, bold, and outspoken. Most students care about political issues, campus activity, and the global environment so there are always activity on campus which is both great and distracting. At times there will be people protesting for one issue or another and it makes them earn the "hippie" or "peace-protestor" stereotype. Other stereotypes range from sorority girls, frat guys, hipsters, and social activists. We really do have a wide range of people at this university and that's what makes it great. However, I would admit that one stereotype we are missing is the jock one. Even though our football team is known nationwide, the presence of athletes isn't prevalent on campus so I personally have never experienced it.

Michaela

There are a number of common stereotypes about the University of Oregon student body. The first is that everyone in Eugene, and therefore everyone at UO smokes pot, and is a 'hippy'. Like with most stereotypes, there is certainly some truth to this, but it's overly exaggerated. A fairly large portion of the student body smokes. However, I haven't experienced any pressure for me to smoke, nor have I noticed much 'typical stoner behavior' on campus. Additionally, by next year, the whole campus will be smoke free (including cigarettes, obviously). As to the hippy part of it, there is a certain liberal feel to Eugene, and the UO. We have a great recycling and compost program, and each new building on campus is more sustainable than the last. So, it is obvious that the student body, and the University care about the environment. As for the no bathing, dreadlocks sort of business, that isn't seen much among the student body. Now, if you go downtown, that's a different story. Other common stereotypes are that the University of Oregon students tend to be preppy, and that there is a really big Greek party scene. Again, partial truths. Most of the students here tend to be fairly clean cut. Not necessarily preppy, but you don't see many 'goths' or 'punks' on campus. One great thing about this campus is that it is very open and accepting, and the stereotypes really don't matter all that much. As for Greek life and party scenes, it is a choice. There is plenty if you want to be a part of it, and if you don't, it's easy to avoid. (It all centers in a few square blocks off campus, so if you don't want to be a party-person, you can just not live in that few blocks).