University of Oregon

« See more reviews of University of Oregon

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

There are a number of common stereotypes about the University of Oregon student body. The first is that everyone in Eugene, and therefore everyone at UO smokes pot, and is a 'hippy'. Like with most stereotypes, there is certainly some truth to this, but it's overly exaggerated. A fairly large portion of the student body smokes. However, I haven't experienced any pressure for me to smoke, nor have I noticed much 'typical stoner behavior' on campus. Additionally, by next year, the whole campus will be smoke free (including cigarettes, obviously). As to the hippy part of it, there is a certain liberal feel to Eugene, and the UO. We have a great recycling and compost program, and each new building on campus is more sustainable than the last. So, it is obvious that the student body, and the University care about the environment. As for the no bathing, dreadlocks sort of business, that isn't seen much among the student body. Now, if you go downtown, that's a different story. Other common stereotypes are that the University of Oregon students tend to be preppy, and that there is a really big Greek party scene. Again, partial truths. Most of the students here tend to be fairly clean cut. Not necessarily preppy, but you don't see many 'goths' or 'punks' on campus. One great thing about this campus is that it is very open and accepting, and the stereotypes really don't matter all that much. As for Greek life and party scenes, it is a choice. There is plenty if you want to be a part of it, and if you don't, it's easy to avoid. (It all centers in a few square blocks off campus, so if you don't want to be a party-person, you can just not live in that few blocks).

The University of Oregon has been stereotyped as being a "hippie" school for quite some time now. Hearing the terms "stoners", "granola munchers", and "tree huggers" was not uncommon for me to hear when people were describing the University to me when I first applied. However, I am from a small town in Idaho so most people there usually see every more liberal state as being this way. I am proud to say, however, that I believe the University of Oregon has a very diverse student body. Yes, it has its fair share of hippies, but along with these there are jocks (obviously, we are the Ducks after all), greek life members (including myself), punk rocker kids, etc. The diverse student body is great because it causes one to branch out of their normal group of friends. Within my sorority in itself there are many hippie girls, Asians, preppy girls, and more!

A lot of people think that University of Oregon (UO) students are hippies. To be quite honest, the UO has such a vast number of students (about 20,000 undergrad) that it would be impossible to label them with a single stereotype. Within the crowd that attends the UO you will find any kind of person--from young to old, from redneck to hippie, from American to Asian, from science nerd to football player. The students at UO are extremely diverse--yet recognizable. They have a sort of laid-back coolness about them, like every day is a good day, no matter what. You can point them out of the crowd as they will be decked out in Duck gear, and perhaps sporting Birkenstocks. It may rain on them a lot, but they manage to keep their spirits up no matter what the weather!

The predominate stereotype about the University of Oregon is that the student body consists of a bunch of "pot-smoking hippies." Oregonians usually contrast the University of Oregon with Oregon State, a more conservative agricultural school. The U of O is definitely a more liberal school but it does not define us as a student body. Although you can find people who enjoy smoking and who are quite liberal, that is not all the campus consists of. The University of Oregon is also well known for its great education, athletics and various organizations that one can join. Many people choose to join the Greek system, to join in on intramural teams or to join in on the student government.

The University of Oregon is most known for their athletics, mostly their accomplishments in football. While our sports are superb, we are more than just a football school. Every department at the university is filled with distinguished professors and students alike. The diversity around the school adds to the great dynamic that fills the campus. I have yet to have a negative experience here, and I love every moment I'm here, whether I'm in class, walking around campus, or even going to a football game. There is more to this university than sports, it just takes overcoming the stereotypes to see the University of Oregon at its full potential.

University of Oregon is a school that is heavily funded by Nike and the Knight family. Due to these ties many of the students at the UO are very health orientated and like to keep in shape. This does eliminate some of the "Jock" stereotypes of the school as many people enjoy working out and there is no day on campus that you will no see someone wearing a gym kit. On the other hand, there are also students who are very politically orientated and have strong activist beliefs and enjoy bringing these ideas to the rest of the student body. UO is an extremely liberal school where people are accepted pretty much as they are.

A lot of people think University of Oregon is filled with stoners. Although there is some of that around, it is not as prevalent as people believe. There are so many people that go here that have never even smoked in their life! There are places you can go or people you can hang out that aren't involved in smoking. In addition, people that do smoke rarely pressure other kids into doing it. If you don't smoke, no one judges you or thinks differently about you. Oregon is really accepting of all types of people!

The stereotype of students at the University Oregon are that they are very kind, laid back, and a good amount of them are stoners. Eugene, Oregon is popular for marijuana usage, and from my observations, the stereotype of students being stoners is pretty accurate. I also believe that the students are kind and laid back, as previously mentioned. People always hold doors open for others, smile and say hello to strangers, and don't cause drama (for the most part).

Some common stereotypes of the students at the University of Oregon are mainly hippies and hipsters. Oregon is a very "go green" campus, so there are a lot of students who dress and act the part of tree-huggers, and although there is a lot of diversity at UO, this stereotype for the most part is accurate.

The stereotype of students at my school is that we are "Jocks" and more concerned with athletics instead of academics. This stereotype is not accurate; for example, I am an accounting student and am much more focused on my academic performance than on my school's athletic performance.