University of Oregon

« See more reviews of University of Oregon

A person should not attend the University of Oregon if they are inflexible by nature. University of Oregon has a reputation for being quite liberal, but speaking as a person who tends to be more conservative, I can safely say that regardless of your political or cultural views, you can be happy here (I know I am) if you are willing to listen to others and respect different perspectives. This requires inner flexibility. You have to be the type of person who is open to change when the situation calls for it and relishes new experiences when they encounter them.

Anyone who is not open to new ideas should not attend the University of Oregon. The campus is so diverse that if you are not comfortable with or completely oppose ways of thinking that differ from yours, then you will feel extremely out of place. Even though people may not agree 100% on everything, everyone is given an equal opportunity to express their thoughts, opinions and ideas. Though they are free to express these things, they are also prepared to accept and contemplate differing views. If you are not willing to be open-minded, then UO is not for you.

I don't think there's anyone who "shouldn't", but there are types of people who probably wouldn't fit, like someone from a really conservative background, close minded, extrememly Republication and radical, country-folk mindset, someone who's racist, ect... UO is very liberal. People say we're "hippies" and "tree-huggers" and mostly Democrat. (I work for the student newspaper and we stuggled to find one Rebulication to speak about the election. There's one small group of students). This isn't true for everyone, but that's the mentally you get on campus.

The UO is a larger school with much to offer, but if you are the type of person who learns better in smaller classes or enjoys knowing more of the people you pass on campus throughout the day, I would not suggest attending the UO. For those who want to live in the warm sunshine would also frown upon the idea of more precipitation throughout the school year. The UO is a largely populated school, which means that it takes some adjusting for those who come from small towns. I know people who would not excel in such an environment.

I think this school is good for almost anyone. There is adequate variety and quality of all the programs. Both art and science majors will find classes that are excellent. Other schools may specialize in science or arts more, but this school has it all. Maybe if a person disliked a school with a friendly and enthousiastic atmosphere, helpful professors and staff, large and diverse student populations, variety of class and social options, and green attitude, then maybe this school isn't for them.

I attend the honors college within UO and it is a great fit for me but I think prospective students who struggle with being independent learners can have a very difficult transition because of how large the school is. You have to be self-directed to be able to succeed and be willing to explore the hundreds of clubs, organizations, and events we have to offer so you can find your people. I originally planned on going to art school and I found my community of artists and writers but it took time.

I think that any student should attend the University of Oregon. We are a very diverse and accepting school. We have programs for the studious, artistic, social, and again "diverse." The university has groups, organizations, and programs for any type of student with any desires and goals. I think that the only person who shouldn't attend the University of Oregon is one who doesn't have or want to have any school spirit or be proud of the school that they attend.

Well first of all I really do not like to be a person to judge who comes to this Univerity and who doesn't, but I would not want to see students who are not willing to commit and work in their studies to continue on. In addition other students who just want to party all the time and mess around with other students to distract them from their studies.

An antisocial person shouldn't attend University of Oregon because the college is more of a community. With the teaching staff that is ready and willing to support the students needs with office hours to answer any student's questions, as well as the surronding area supporting the athletes and school itself.

The kind that wants a university with a large enrollment, but individual colleges within that university that are small communities. The student that wants to feel connected and included, and is also for helping the environment. The student that wants to live in a city just the right size.