University of Oregon

« See more reviews of University of Oregon

Eugene is a small college town, and it's hard to network, intern, or find jobs after college because there is not much in the immediate area. I looked hard but unfortunately could not find any internships related to my major in the area and had to relocate for a term. Even though my internship was with an accredited Fortune 100 Company including it's own university on site, Oregon's academic advising discouraged the internship because it set me back from my graduation date. However, I believe internships should be considered a step forward towards my career.

The sports culture is disgusting here with our last President having recently been paid off to the tune of 900k because he covered up a rape scandal involving UO basketball players so they could participate in the playoffs. Phil Knight and the people who only come here because of our football team are the reason that academics have gone down as our athletic rankings have gone up. We also unfortunately have way too many unqualified wealthy international and out-of-state students here because they can pay so the gap between the haves and have nots is profound.

Everybody drinks or does drugs and the facilty doesn't seem to care about these problems. If you have a conservative mind-set, you are looked down upon by EVERYBODY-students, falcuty, staff. The fact that I am a Republican, and some proffessors knew it, significatly lowered my grades last quarter. It is SICK how this school pretends to be accepting, but in fact, is not at all. I had to transfer from UCSD because of financial issues. I would transfer back in a heartbeat if I had the money. UofO is nothing compared to UCSD.

I've gained tons of hands-on experience in the Journalism field, so not much specifically about my school, but more about the price of college. I wasn't super involved in High School. I had a good GPA, but since we have a large student body, I got no scholorships. Here I am my senior year and one of the most recognized students in the journalism school, and still all I've gotten is $1,200 from the school and I'm thousands in debt. It's rediculous. I should have went to community college for two years.

The most frustrating thing about the University of Oregon is definitely the payment system. It would almost be worthwhile to take a class on the nonsensical compilation of numbers and references to dates, cycles, and different renditions thereof. I would recommend sitting down with one of the school's financial advisors and getting explicit instruction concerning the payment system, unless you've got extra money to waste on surprise fees and interest.

Study abroad opportunities are only granted after meeting the school's rigorous academic standards and not the abroad campus/company's standards. Since a year study abroad is cheaper than a year of out-of-state tuition, it seemed these school standards were created so that out of state students who have the possibility of not graduating in four years (lower GPAs) will be paying full price and staying in the US and missing amazing opportunities.

Because UO has such strongly-opinionated students, faculty and staff, it can at times become overwhelming. Some organizations toe the line between presenting an idea to you so you are able to weigh the pros and cons and make an informed decision on your stance, and forcing their idea of what is right on you. They will not accept no for an answer and can continue to badger you to the point where it becomes quite frustrating.

I would say that the most frustrating thing about my school is that it lacks a sense of diversity, however as a native to the state of Oregon, I feel that the entire state lacks a strong sense of diversity, and the majority of inhabitants seem to be mostly caucasion. In contrast, I have never felt that at the University of Oregon there has ever been any form of discrimination or racial inequality in my own experience.

Probably that it is a really political campus, and is easy to get distracted from school work and priorities and join a political cause. This can be a good thing, but is very distracting as an incoming freshman, especially when it is a good way to meet people. Consequently, there are always rallys and stuff on 13th street going right through campus, which is annoying when you are hustling to get to class on time.

Like most state schools, my university has a very strong culture of partying on weekends, as well as weeknights. In addition, I often felt like my classmates were not taking their education seriously, while I was constantly studying and striving to succeed. This atmosphere made me sometimes feel like my education was worth almost nothing. I would have preferred to have a way of escaping from this atmosphere.