University of Oregon

« See more reviews of University of Oregon

After having pneumonia, shingles, and chronic strep throat, I wish I had considered my immune system's ability to handle the rough climate, not just mentally coping with it. Oregon strongly discourages cars and purposefully does not have much parking, so it's tough to find someone with a car, or park near the health center without walking. Public transportation is not smart because of illness exposure, and my dorm was a 30 minute walk from the health center. Immunodeficiencies are also detrimental to grades because it's hard for professors to believe that you are "always sick".

I wish I had known more about the scholarships available. During high school, trying to grasp the idea of paying large loans and how much tuition costs doesn't really hit you until you're faced with having to take the loans out yourself. I am only now learning how to search for scholarships and part of that is through the different programs I am going to be going through that have scholarships readily available for those who apply. It would have been more helpful if I had gone straight to my school to see what scholarships they had.

I came from a small town in Oregon, and Eugene was substantially larger in terms of area and population. Before I came to the University of Oregon, I wish that I had known more about the Study Abroad programs, because it has always been my dream to study in Spain, possibly in Barcelona. With living costs going up, I have suspended that pursuit indefinitely to support myself, rent payments, and other living expenses. I knew that living as a college student would be rough at times, but perhaps I underestimated it.

One thing I wish I knew before I decided to attend the University of Oregon would have to the amount of rain Eugene receives throughout the year. I do live in Oregon so rain does not have much of an affect on me however, Eugene's extreme amount of rainfall does get old after awhile. I have learned to make the best out of it so plan events that involve the rain since it is usually around. Mud soccer or puddle jumping are just a few of the things that my friends and I enjoy doing throughout the school year.

During my senior year of high school, I wish that the counselors had showed me what specific classes I would need to complete in order to graduate college. I registered for my classes at college unaware that there was a certain amount of Arts and Letters classes, Social Science classes, Science classes, Multicultural classes, and elective classes that I must fill. It would have been extremely helpful to have known about these pre-requisite classes before registering for my first quarter.

To be honest, this is tough to say. I have had such a great time learning and experiencing new things in life since I came to the University of Oregon. I was not sure how my everyday life was going to be, but the fact that it was somewhat of a mystery before it began has made me more appreciative than ever. But I guess I have to answer the question, so I will have to say I wish I would have known a few more people to make the immediate transition into college a little easier.

I wish that I had known that the dorms are WORST rated for the amount of money they cost IN THE COUNTRY and that the professors do not care about their students. It's physically impossible for them to know their students becuase the average lecture class is 300 people. My freshman year I took 4 classes that were 500 people lectures. I choose not to drink or do drugs, and therefore there is no available weekend social life because literally everyone drinks.

Before arriving at the UofO, I wish I had known about all the different clubs and activities. I did not find out about the various clubs and times or their meetings until after I had chosen class times that interfered with clubs that I really wanted to be a part of. This was very inconvenient for me personally because it was my first term of college and living off campus also hindered my opportunities to meet and get to know more people.

I wish I would of known how unwarranted my anxiousness was long before I started classes. When I realized how attainable my goal of graduating from the Uof O was my heart raced with excitement and tears of joy streaked my face. Starting my junior year at such an outstanding school has not only shown me the value of my hard work as a student, but also the immense possibilities awaiting me as I travel my road of higher education.

I wish I had known how many great friends I would meet and how many awesome classes I would take. I was nervous at first, but everyone at U. of O. was so nice and outgoing, and the school spirit is amazing!! There are so many ways to get involved, from fraternities to sororities, to all other types of student groups, such as Students For Global Health. U. of O. opens up so many opportunities, it is a great school!! Go Ducks!