Philadelphia, PA

Penn

Great school

Pleasantly surprised

Pleasantly surprised

As a first year at Penn, I honestly didn't know what to expect. The Ivy league stigma definitely exists here. Plenty of kids are smart, but there are also tons of rich kids from around the world. I feel like Penn is big enough so that you have a healthy variety of people. There's the artsy group, the nerdy group (go Penngineering!), the fratty group, etc. Besides the food, there really isn't anything disappointing about Penn. All in all, a very good top-tier school.

Malia
Best Decision I've Ever Mde

Best Decision I've Ever Mde

Coming to Penn was the best decision I could have made for myself. I remember a few years back when I was applying to colleges I read every Unigo review to help with my decision. In the end I don't remember why I chose Penn all I know is that I am so happy I did. I can honestly say that this campus has the perfect work/social life balance. If you like to work hard and play hard then this school is for you. There are always social events going on so it's easy to get distracted but if you learn how to prioritize you will end up having the time of your life here.

Sonali

My classmates were, honestly, either Pre-Med or Business students, and almost ubiquitously involved in Greek Life. They were really friendly and enthusiastic when we worked in groups or got coffee or frozen yogurt, but it was hard to really connect with them because I was none of those three things: a Cognitive Science major that wanted to go into the film/documentary industry.

I would strongly suggest going to a different school. I chose Penn because of the pressure in my high school to go to a prestigious college for validation and because it was the only Ivy League school I got into. I did no research into the social life/academic advising at Penn, and I honestly was not a good fit for Penn. I would tell myself that, over the next four years, I was going to find myself as a person, and be able to validate myself because of the difficulties in my family I would go through, and so I should go to a school that was going to make my life easier and more exciting, where I could make lasting friends who thought like me.

How different I am from the rest of the Penn population-- where they are a little snooty about the reputation of Penn, I prided myself on being open-minded and understanding of the merits of all colleges, no matter their ranking!

The amount of diversity Penn has, the strength of Wharton, its business school, and the location. I came into the application process knowing I wanted to attend an undergraduate business program so Wharton was at the top of the list. But Penn really comes together because it is right in the heart of the city, which really adds to the experience at the school.

It's okay to be lost and it's okay not to be the best in everything you do. High school offers a very structured education system: take these classes and you'll graduate, and room to ascend to the top of the class in regards to academics and extracurricular activities. I knew what I was doing. But now in college, in a place where it's supposedly time to figure the rest of your life out, there are so many high stake decisions to be made. Don't be afraid of them. No matter how impressive others might seem, they are still floundering as well. We're all lost and trying to figure ourselves out. At the same time, with thousands of other high achievers, there will always be someone who is more assertive than you, who has a more impressive resume, who just understands economics better. Don't be afraid of them either. College is a time to learn and explore and without someone like that around, how are you supposed to grow? To gain attributes you like about them? In college, everyone is finding themselves so don't be afraid because you are not alone.

The lack of diversity in regards to the business program, and how openly pro certain causes the school is due to the demographics of its students.

Kerry

My high school years were a dark time for me. I had grown up in a dysfunctional family, and the dysfunction was at its peak. I was living in a state of deep depression and anxiety. A lot of this anxiety was focused on what my future life would be like, and if things would ever get any better for me. While I wanted to go to college, I was so insecure and unsure of my own abilities that I doubted it was something that I had any chance of succeeding in. This insecurity led me to putting off college for four years while I worked miscellaneous jobs around my small home town. My advice to my younger self would be not to give up, and to trust that college is something that I can not only handle, but excel at. I would say that while attending college, I would meet people more accepting than I had imagined people could be, and that they would change my outlook of the world entirely. I would tell myself that there was a way out of the environment I was living in, and that there was hope for the future.

The thing that I wish I knew before I started here was how important it was to get your time management worked out right out of the gate. As soon as classes begin, and you have your syllabi with the dates of your tests, what papers you will need to write, etc… Add all of these to your calendar and keep on top of them. Start studying for that test two weeks ahead of time, start that paper maybe even a bit earlier. The key is time management.

Penn is a school filled with hard working people trying to get the most out of their time here. The classes are difficult, and can give you a very large workload. While it can be intense, the campus also has a lot of fun things going on, so it’s not just stress 24/7. I would say that the only people who shouldn’t come here are people looking for a more laid back atmosphere, and wouldn’t enjoy the intense, fast pace of the school.

Fabiola
Why did you decide to go to this school?

Why did you decide to go to this school?

There's two main reasons I decided to come to Penn 1) It's the best school that I got into 2) They gave me the most financial aid. Story time: I never thought I would end up coming to Penn. Actually, it wasn't my dream school and I only applied because it was a great school and it had all of my potential majors. To my surprise, I got in! I visited shortly after my acceptance and really liked the urban pre-professional feel it had. My final decision came down to Penn, Cornell, and Notre Dame, since they gave me the most financial aid.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

So far the hardest thing has been trying to manage my time effectively. In high school, I had zero problems getting my homework done, studying, etc. Penn isn't so simple. The work load is so intense and it's just so much. Its hard finding the time to do everything you're supposed to do while still making friends, feeding yourself, etc.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The Starbucks under 1920 Commons is a great place to get essays and other homework done. However, if you need to seriously study, Van Pelt library is the place to go

Work hard, play hard. Students at Penn know how to have a good time. They tend to be very outgoing and social. I've actually found the majority to be some what artistic in nature. Quakers are competitive, hard working, very intelligent, and have a wide range of interests. It's pretty hard to describe the "typical Penn student" but something that most student have is a great sense of style.

Athena

People enjoy being here but it can be very competitive. Just amke sure to choose your friends wisely andbe open to change.

Understand that change is inevitable. We learn and we grow. Positive intensions are the only way to live life to the fullest, but they must be tempered with self-reflection. Take time to listen to what your self is telling you. Work hard and strive to achieve your goals but contantly make sure to check up on yourself. You must give yourself time to develop your dreams fully and be open to change from the original path you laid out for yourself. So be open. Step outside your comfort zone and know that there are many paths before you, and it is your privilege to choose. Finally, be appreciative. Recognize your privilege and the blessings life has given you. It is easy to smile at the world, but it is harder to admit that our ability to smile came from others than yourself. We are not islands in this life, but part of a community. Be grateful that you ahve those around you who can, and will, support you wherever and whatever you become you.

The school is liberal with conservative tendancies.

Kirsten

Starting college is an exciting time, while also a little overwhelming, so I would suggest first of all taking a deep breath because there's no need to be anxious about all of the things you have to do. Also, asking questions is important, preferably from an upperclassman, but advisors are also helpful. Don't be afraid to ask! People at your college or university are there to help you and act as a resource because they remember what it was like to be in your shoes. Coordinating with your roommate/s is wise as well even though it seeems weird to talk to someone new that possibly lives a few states or countries away, but it will make your move-in a lot smoother. Also, it will allow you to have an introduction before meeting each other on move-in day. I'd even say try to meet up with your roommate/s for coffee or something if possible. Another little tip is don't buy new books unless your professor says that it's absolutely necessary. Trust me you want to say as much money as possible, so buying used books or renting books is a great option!

Penn is in a great urban location where the students have access to many opportunities on campus, in the local community, and beyond. The faculty at Penn is awesome and willing to help students in any way that they can. There are always fun things happening around campus to help lighten the stress that comes along with college life. There's also a wide array of class choices which makes it a lot easier to find a class that you enjoy. Along those lines, Penn also presents many different opportunities for its students to prepare themselces for the future.

The most frustrating thing about my school would probably be some of the extra requirements that had to be fulfilled such as Writing Seminar and the Language Requirement, but I think in the end both will be beneficial.

University of Pennsylvania administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.