Philadelphia, PA
University of Pennsylvania

I would tell myself not to be nervous about college. When I went in first semester, I was pretty scared about being on my own and in a whole new place. I would make sure I knew that there are so many opportunties at college. No matter what happens, you will find your place and you will succeed. It is also important to be open to new experiences, and not stress too much about school work. School work is a very important part of going to college, but the experience of college is also necessary to grow. Though it may seem scary now, being afraid will just hold you back from the potential success you could have at college. Basically, I would want my high school self to know that it is okay to have fun at college. School is important for success, but so is personal happiness.

Andrea Giovanna

Some classmates are very hardworking and friendly, others are unfriendly and competitive.

Volunteer at a hospital as soon as possible. Take AP statistics, chemistry, biology, and physics! Take calculus BC! Apply to more scholarships! Do something really great for your resume after graduation. Do more research about the colleges you get accepted to, so you can make an informed decision. Become a member of HOSA so you get more medical experience before going to college. Think about how hard it’s going to be to leave home, and don’t assume that you’ll feel the same way all throughout college. Explore your hometown, because you might not be able to later. Read as many books as you can, because you might not have time to read for pleasure in college. Research more about the weather at each school so you won’t struggle with it too much. If you decide to go North, BUY WARMER CLOTHING. Think about what it might be like to leave Texas, and decide whether or not it’s something you really want to do. Become as involved as you can in your high school community, because you know they really need your help, and you’ll be too busy to help during the next four years.

How diverse it actually is, which is much less than I thought.

Anastasia

I would tell myself to not try to take too many classes and join too many organizations at once, but to start out slow in order to make the transition process into college less stressful. I would advise myself to focus on making friends and building a community I'm comfortable in during my first semester of college to avoid isolating myself and compounding the stress. I should also have taken the time to adjust to my surroundings and understand the complicated changes I'm going through, allowing my identity and sense of self to unfold instead of being anxious about the changes. Another important piece of advice would be to not try to committ myself too early to any one major or academic and career path, but instead allow myself to explore my options and discover where my interests lie. This way I could have avoided taking unnecessary classes that I didn't enjoy simply to get a requirement I thought I needed out of the way. On a related note, I would advise myself to explore early on the vast number of internships available from the university as they can be an invaluable resource in future career selection.

I wish I knew that most of the LGBT community is comprised of cis gay men and can often be alienating and exclusive towards transgender and non-monosexual people.

Very academically motivated as well as interested in getting involved in the community.

Rebecca
Carissa

There are a few regrets I have towards my first year in college. Things that I wish I could have done differently if I had the chance. If I could go back in time and speak to my younger self before I started attending college, I would tell myself how important it is to stay focus and work hard through the whole semester. Slacking off can become an easy habit in college, so I would advise myself to stay on top of completing any homework within a timely manner. If extra credit is available, take the time to do it because it can never hurt you. Apply for scholarships every chance you get. Doing so will prevent less stress when trying to figure out how you will pay for your education. Pick your teachers wisely because your teacher determines how well you understand the material. Choose to study for a test or quiz instead of going out with friends, it will be the better choice in the long run. Interact with classmates, it’s easier to be in class for an hour or two with acquaintances opposed to being all alone.

Raquel

There will be times when you do not do well on tests or feel like you do not belong to the university or college you attend. But know that if you remain motivated and use all the available resources you have to your advantage, there is no way you can't succeed! College is a time when you are exploring and figuring out who you are as a person and what you want out of life; if your plans for you future change, that is okay! Take this time to figure out what you really want, not what your parents or others around you want you to be. College is filled with distractions, it is important to balance fun and work. Have a good time, meet new people, and explore the city or town your campus is in, but always remember that your academics are important and should always come first. Enjoy every second of college, make connections, and take advantage of all the resources and opportunities you have available to you, because before you know it your freshman year will be over, then your sophomor year, then you are walking across the stage, earning your degree!

I think the best thing about my school are the faculty members that are helping me succeed and enjoy my experience at University of Pennsylvania. The professors are all leaders in nursing, making remarkable changes in healthcare and research. They are all very approachable and want us to succeed, even if that means staying a few minutes after class or in lab to teach and demonstrate anything I am struggling with or do not understand. I do not think many students in other programs have the chance to work with such remarkable and influential people.

Someone who is very motivated and has a passion for learning and caring. The school of nursing wants individuals who have a voice and want to be leaders and advocates for their future patients. The school is located in West Philadelphia, which has a very diverse population to serve health care to. Students learn and volunteer at the top hospitals and clinicals in the country, where they learn and experience everything they need to be an excellent nurse. A Penn student should also be ambitious and outgoing, and have a passion for learning and experiencing new and different environments.

Mercedes

My school is best known for being the social Ivy League. We have several traditions that continue from when the school was founded in the mid 1700s, like throwing toast on the football field or dressing up for Hey Day. My school is also known for its diversity and for being an inner city university.

I never knew exactly what I wanted to do with my life and I still don't know exactly where I'm headed. The thing is, most people don't have everything planned out, and if they do, their plan is so likely to change. I would give anything to tell my high school senior self not to worry so much about the future, that everything will fall into place as long as you work hard and focus on what you love to do. Ultimately, passion is what keeps you going, it's the fuel that propels you to make a difference in your field and in the world. Yes, college is more difficult and yes, sometimes it can be overwhelming, but you will make a support system of friends that will stand by your side and you will find what you love even if you haven't found yourself yet. College is about the journey, it's about networking, about learning to love yourself and what exactly you love to do. I would say: Don't worry, the journey ahead is difficult, but rewarding--enjoy the ride!

Someone who is not hard-working, social, or open-minded should not attend this university. You have to work hard to get ahead here, we are always having parties, and we have one of the top LGBT centers in the nation.

Jake

The best thing about this school is the academic spirit that permeates it and the support UPenn provides its high-caliber students. Right now, UPenn is putting a lot of funding into its sciences.

The biggest group on campus is by far the Hillel. Many students are involved in fraternities or student government or the student newspapers. For the past few semesters student life on Penn's campus has exploded with the introduction of many new choral groups.

Penn gives plenty of financial aid to its students. However even though they say there's zero aid, most students still take out Stafford/government loans.

Students study all the time, and often people consider taking time off. But the consensus is students totally love it here. One thing that students don't like is the student newspaper and the administration which seem to always have a tremendous presence on campus.

Bryana

academically charged and career oriented.

academically charged and career oriented.

As a high-school student, I experienced a lot of frustration about my “mediocrity”. I wanted to excel at something, but could never find my “one thing” that separated me from the rest. And then my life was flipped upside down during my senior year. In September 2010, I was diagnosed with advanced Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. In the blink of an eye, I went from my “normal” college application process and resenting my “normality”, to the ICU and longing for normality. I’m currently almost three years in remission, and having cancer made me understand things that I wish I understood beforehand. If I could tell my high-school self one thing, I would say to appreciate all of my blessings, despite how “average” they are. Normality is subjective. I didn’t understand that, until all I wanted was normality. In hindsight, I should have been thankful for my “average” life. Although I’m now in remission and I now understand how lucky it is to have even just a “normal” life, there are still thousands of people right now who crave normality and stability in their lives, and I was lucky to have all of my blessings, mediocrity included.

The cost because attending an Ivy Leage College is a huge financial responsibility, not only for me, but for my family. The cost of participating in extra curriculars, such a fraternities and soroties can be costly.

Penn is the best of both worlds -- it is both academically and socially stimulating. There are so many amazing academic opportunities, and the professors are really willing to help their students. Additionally, there are many clubs and activities on campus filled with diverse groups of students.

I wish I would have known how to balance my time better. People on campus juggle school, clubs, sports, and work. You have to be good at time management to take full advantage of all the opportunities.

University of Pennsylvania administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.