Philadelphia, PA
University of Pennsylvania

Raquel

There will be times when you do not do well on tests or feel like you do not belong to the university or college you attend. But know that if you remain motivated and use all the available resources you have to your advantage, there is no way you can't succeed! College is a time when you are exploring and figuring out who you are as a person and what you want out of life; if your plans for you future change, that is okay! Take this time to figure out what you really want, not what your parents or others around you want you to be. College is filled with distractions, it is important to balance fun and work. Have a good time, meet new people, and explore the city or town your campus is in, but always remember that your academics are important and should always come first. Enjoy every second of college, make connections, and take advantage of all the resources and opportunities you have available to you, because before you know it your freshman year will be over, then your sophomor year, then you are walking across the stage, earning your degree!

I think the best thing about my school are the faculty members that are helping me succeed and enjoy my experience at University of Pennsylvania. The professors are all leaders in nursing, making remarkable changes in healthcare and research. They are all very approachable and want us to succeed, even if that means staying a few minutes after class or in lab to teach and demonstrate anything I am struggling with or do not understand. I do not think many students in other programs have the chance to work with such remarkable and influential people.

Someone who is very motivated and has a passion for learning and caring. The school of nursing wants individuals who have a voice and want to be leaders and advocates for their future patients. The school is located in West Philadelphia, which has a very diverse population to serve health care to. Students learn and volunteer at the top hospitals and clinicals in the country, where they learn and experience everything they need to be an excellent nurse. A Penn student should also be ambitious and outgoing, and have a passion for learning and experiencing new and different environments.

Mercedes

My school is best known for being the social Ivy League. We have several traditions that continue from when the school was founded in the mid 1700s, like throwing toast on the football field or dressing up for Hey Day. My school is also known for its diversity and for being an inner city university.

I never knew exactly what I wanted to do with my life and I still don't know exactly where I'm headed. The thing is, most people don't have everything planned out, and if they do, their plan is so likely to change. I would give anything to tell my high school senior self not to worry so much about the future, that everything will fall into place as long as you work hard and focus on what you love to do. Ultimately, passion is what keeps you going, it's the fuel that propels you to make a difference in your field and in the world. Yes, college is more difficult and yes, sometimes it can be overwhelming, but you will make a support system of friends that will stand by your side and you will find what you love even if you haven't found yourself yet. College is about the journey, it's about networking, about learning to love yourself and what exactly you love to do. I would say: Don't worry, the journey ahead is difficult, but rewarding--enjoy the ride!

Someone who is not hard-working, social, or open-minded should not attend this university. You have to work hard to get ahead here, we are always having parties, and we have one of the top LGBT centers in the nation.

Jake

The best thing about this school is the academic spirit that permeates it and the support UPenn provides its high-caliber students. Right now, UPenn is putting a lot of funding into its sciences.

The biggest group on campus is by far the Hillel. Many students are involved in fraternities or student government or the student newspapers. For the past few semesters student life on Penn's campus has exploded with the introduction of many new choral groups.

Penn gives plenty of financial aid to its students. However even though they say there's zero aid, most students still take out Stafford/government loans.

Students study all the time, and often people consider taking time off. But the consensus is students totally love it here. One thing that students don't like is the student newspaper and the administration which seem to always have a tremendous presence on campus.

Bryana

academically charged and career oriented.

academically charged and career oriented.

As a high-school student, I experienced a lot of frustration about my “mediocrity”. I wanted to excel at something, but could never find my “one thing” that separated me from the rest. And then my life was flipped upside down during my senior year. In September 2010, I was diagnosed with advanced Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. In the blink of an eye, I went from my “normal” college application process and resenting my “normality”, to the ICU and longing for normality. I’m currently almost three years in remission, and having cancer made me understand things that I wish I understood beforehand. If I could tell my high-school self one thing, I would say to appreciate all of my blessings, despite how “average” they are. Normality is subjective. I didn’t understand that, until all I wanted was normality. In hindsight, I should have been thankful for my “average” life. Although I’m now in remission and I now understand how lucky it is to have even just a “normal” life, there are still thousands of people right now who crave normality and stability in their lives, and I was lucky to have all of my blessings, mediocrity included.

The cost because attending an Ivy Leage College is a huge financial responsibility, not only for me, but for my family. The cost of participating in extra curriculars, such a fraternities and soroties can be costly.

Penn is the best of both worlds -- it is both academically and socially stimulating. There are so many amazing academic opportunities, and the professors are really willing to help their students. Additionally, there are many clubs and activities on campus filled with diverse groups of students.

I wish I would have known how to balance my time better. People on campus juggle school, clubs, sports, and work. You have to be good at time management to take full advantage of all the opportunities.

Marissa

In high school I wasn’t a bad kid. I wasn’t particularly motivated and I wasn’t particularly driven, but I wasn’t a bad kid. I liked to be friendly, social and outgoing. Rather than focusing on my future, I was focusing on my present. I guess most people would advise themselves, if given the chance, to try harder and to focus more on what matters like school work and grades. If given the opportunity, this is not the advice I would give. No, the advice I would give myself would be so much simpler than that. I would sit myself down and ask myself, “Are you proud of what you have accomplished?” I don’t think it is necessary to tell myself what I could do or should have done different. Instead, I would rather I give myself the opportunity to think it through a little more. Maybe I would append that to the advice as well, “Take a moment and consider Marissa, really consider. Are you ‘accomplished’?”

bethany

I would definitely tell myself that being organized and on top of everything is one of the most important things you can do. Not just in college, but in life. You really need to have a positive outlook & attitude to succeed. You need to have that "I'm going to graduate" mentality in your mind at all times. Also, always be on time to class and take your assignments seriously. Budget your time out so you have plenty of time to study and actually absorb information. Don't be afraid to ask questions and never make assumptions ever. Having a budget and planning ahead is really important and also making a schedule so that you can manage work, school, personal time, family, etc. Also, if you're going to take loans only take out the minimum - what you REALLY need. Taking out more loans than necessary is foolish and will only cost you more money and stress than you want.

Chandler

I would go back and tell myself to take your time and do things fully and to the best of my ablility. By this i mean to take classes more seriously and try my very hardest at every little and big thing that I will do in school. Every piece of paper that you do in school will affect your future indefinately. Its not worth skipping out on homework just to hang out with some friend for a little bit. the grades you get in high school are extremely important and will follow yhou onto college and can be seen by pretty much any college professor. So all in all STOP, slow down, take you time and do things the right way the first time because trust me if will pay off in the future.

Don't be afraid to work after high school instead of going straight into college. Find an entry-level position or internship in a field you're interested in, and work in that field for a while. This will help you learn if it's really the right profession for you! If you're not sure yet what field you might like to pursue, use this time to explore different areas. Be adventurous! Take that summer position leading horseback tours in Equador. Volunteer your time at an orphanage. Apply for the internship at the bank. Buy a study guide and attempt some Microsoft certifications. Join your community garden co-op and learn to grow your own food. Find out what you do and don't like spending your day doing, and what your time is worth to you. This experience will help you start to learn what direction you would like to go in a career, and you'll be earning money instead of spending it on tuition as an undeclared major college freshman. Plus, there's nothing like working a low-paying job for a year to motivate you to pursue a degree!

James

As a high school senior I knew I wanted to go to college, but I did not know what I wanted to pursue. I was indecisive and made a hasty decision to explore a degree/career in Biology and eventually attempt Medical School. In two weeks I had it all figured out; I would get my Biology degree from the College of Charleston and my medical school would be completed at the Medical University of South Carolina. I went through with this plan for two years at C of C just getting by with my grades, before I realized that I hated everything I was doing and was hemorrhaging money in the form of student loans, especially since I lost my $5,000 state scholarship after my second semester. I made the tough decision to leave C of C and pursue my already existant interest in the Automotive industry and am now in a two year Automotive Technology associates degree program. So if there was anything I could tell myself before I left high school, it would be to pursue what you enjoy and what you're good at and let it pay off for you in the long run.

University of Pennsylvania administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.