Philadelphia, PA
University of Pennsylvania

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Pennsylvania

Fixed  rate loan

Athena

People enjoy being here but it can be very competitive. Just amke sure to choose your friends wisely andbe open to change.

Understand that change is inevitable. We learn and we grow. Positive intensions are the only way to live life to the fullest, but they must be tempered with self-reflection. Take time to listen to what your self is telling you. Work hard and strive to achieve your goals but contantly make sure to check up on yourself. You must give yourself time to develop your dreams fully and be open to change from the original path you laid out for yourself. So be open. Step outside your comfort zone and know that there are many paths before you, and it is your privilege to choose. Finally, be appreciative. Recognize your privilege and the blessings life has given you. It is easy to smile at the world, but it is harder to admit that our ability to smile came from others than yourself. We are not islands in this life, but part of a community. Be grateful that you ahve those around you who can, and will, support you wherever and whatever you become you.

The school is liberal with conservative tendancies.

Kirsten

Starting college is an exciting time, while also a little overwhelming, so I would suggest first of all taking a deep breath because there's no need to be anxious about all of the things you have to do. Also, asking questions is important, preferably from an upperclassman, but advisors are also helpful. Don't be afraid to ask! People at your college or university are there to help you and act as a resource because they remember what it was like to be in your shoes. Coordinating with your roommate/s is wise as well even though it seeems weird to talk to someone new that possibly lives a few states or countries away, but it will make your move-in a lot smoother. Also, it will allow you to have an introduction before meeting each other on move-in day. I'd even say try to meet up with your roommate/s for coffee or something if possible. Another little tip is don't buy new books unless your professor says that it's absolutely necessary. Trust me you want to say as much money as possible, so buying used books or renting books is a great option!

Penn is in a great urban location where the students have access to many opportunities on campus, in the local community, and beyond. The faculty at Penn is awesome and willing to help students in any way that they can. There are always fun things happening around campus to help lighten the stress that comes along with college life. There's also a wide array of class choices which makes it a lot easier to find a class that you enjoy. Along those lines, Penn also presents many different opportunities for its students to prepare themselces for the future.

The most frustrating thing about my school would probably be some of the extra requirements that had to be fulfilled such as Writing Seminar and the Language Requirement, but I think in the end both will be beneficial.

Terence

Compared to other schools I considered as well as my own upbringing, Penn's urban environment was unique. I had never lived in a large city before, and I did not take full advantage of the opportunities to get involved with the community outside of Penn as much as I had hoped to.

I would tell the high school version of myself to not worry so much about what other people thing. High school can be so focused on image and getting the attention of certain groups and people. But in college, there's a community for everyone. So I would tell the high school version of myself to not see college as a chance to relive high school in a different status, but instead as a chance to explore a new life and new direction. The other advice I would give to my high school is to not waste time. College will be over before I know it, and it's never too early to think about careers, post-college plans and how to achieve my goals. College is an opportunity for everyone to find out what is unique about him or herself, and the sooner one discovers that, the sooner one knows his or her own strengths and offerings. The final advice I would instill upon my high school self is that it's ok to take risks whether it's socially, academically or professionally. And failure only makes us stronger.

I wish I had known what it really meant to be an adult making my own decisions. When I started college, I expected classes and activities to be decided for me like in high school. Having to make these decisions on my own was not something for which I was prepared. I feel that if I had truly understood this aspect of being in college, I would have discovered my true interests much sooner in my life.

Zahra

College is undoubtedly an amazing experience, however it is very easy to get caught up in the excitment of it all and forget that the institution is a large part of your future. Besides the stimulating social aspect of college, it is easy to get caught up in the plethora of academic opportunities. Everyone tells you to try new things and explore your options, and with good reason--without trying new things how can you be sure of what you want to do in life? However, it is also important to remember that as fascinating as astromony is, or as much as you would love to take a course on the politics of third-world countries, there is an end goal to your education. Exploring different and varied fields is great but eventually you will have to pick something to focus the rest of your college years on. That is, while you should be enriching and expanding your intersts, you have to graduate at some point. Therefore, my greatest struggle in college, and advice to my high school self would be, balancing my personal intersts with my career goals.

The difference in income between some students can be potentially uncomfrotable.

I would tell myself not to be nervous about college. When I went in first semester, I was pretty scared about being on my own and in a whole new place. I would make sure I knew that there are so many opportunties at college. No matter what happens, you will find your place and you will succeed. It is also important to be open to new experiences, and not stress too much about school work. School work is a very important part of going to college, but the experience of college is also necessary to grow. Though it may seem scary now, being afraid will just hold you back from the potential success you could have at college. Basically, I would want my high school self to know that it is okay to have fun at college. School is important for success, but so is personal happiness.

Andrea Giovanna

Some classmates are very hardworking and friendly, others are unfriendly and competitive.

Volunteer at a hospital as soon as possible. Take AP statistics, chemistry, biology, and physics! Take calculus BC! Apply to more scholarships! Do something really great for your resume after graduation. Do more research about the colleges you get accepted to, so you can make an informed decision. Become a member of HOSA so you get more medical experience before going to college. Think about how hard it’s going to be to leave home, and don’t assume that you’ll feel the same way all throughout college. Explore your hometown, because you might not be able to later. Read as many books as you can, because you might not have time to read for pleasure in college. Research more about the weather at each school so you won’t struggle with it too much. If you decide to go North, BUY WARMER CLOTHING. Think about what it might be like to leave Texas, and decide whether or not it’s something you really want to do. Become as involved as you can in your high school community, because you know they really need your help, and you’ll be too busy to help during the next four years.

How diverse it actually is, which is much less than I thought.

Anastasia

I would tell myself to not try to take too many classes and join too many organizations at once, but to start out slow in order to make the transition process into college less stressful. I would advise myself to focus on making friends and building a community I'm comfortable in during my first semester of college to avoid isolating myself and compounding the stress. I should also have taken the time to adjust to my surroundings and understand the complicated changes I'm going through, allowing my identity and sense of self to unfold instead of being anxious about the changes. Another important piece of advice would be to not try to committ myself too early to any one major or academic and career path, but instead allow myself to explore my options and discover where my interests lie. This way I could have avoided taking unnecessary classes that I didn't enjoy simply to get a requirement I thought I needed out of the way. On a related note, I would advise myself to explore early on the vast number of internships available from the university as they can be an invaluable resource in future career selection.

I wish I knew that most of the LGBT community is comprised of cis gay men and can often be alienating and exclusive towards transgender and non-monosexual people.

Very academically motivated as well as interested in getting involved in the community.

Rebecca
Carissa

There are a few regrets I have towards my first year in college. Things that I wish I could have done differently if I had the chance. If I could go back in time and speak to my younger self before I started attending college, I would tell myself how important it is to stay focus and work hard through the whole semester. Slacking off can become an easy habit in college, so I would advise myself to stay on top of completing any homework within a timely manner. If extra credit is available, take the time to do it because it can never hurt you. Apply for scholarships every chance you get. Doing so will prevent less stress when trying to figure out how you will pay for your education. Pick your teachers wisely because your teacher determines how well you understand the material. Choose to study for a test or quiz instead of going out with friends, it will be the better choice in the long run. Interact with classmates, it’s easier to be in class for an hour or two with acquaintances opposed to being all alone.

Raquel

There will be times when you do not do well on tests or feel like you do not belong to the university or college you attend. But know that if you remain motivated and use all the available resources you have to your advantage, there is no way you can't succeed! College is a time when you are exploring and figuring out who you are as a person and what you want out of life; if your plans for you future change, that is okay! Take this time to figure out what you really want, not what your parents or others around you want you to be. College is filled with distractions, it is important to balance fun and work. Have a good time, meet new people, and explore the city or town your campus is in, but always remember that your academics are important and should always come first. Enjoy every second of college, make connections, and take advantage of all the resources and opportunities you have available to you, because before you know it your freshman year will be over, then your sophomor year, then you are walking across the stage, earning your degree!

I think the best thing about my school are the faculty members that are helping me succeed and enjoy my experience at University of Pennsylvania. The professors are all leaders in nursing, making remarkable changes in healthcare and research. They are all very approachable and want us to succeed, even if that means staying a few minutes after class or in lab to teach and demonstrate anything I am struggling with or do not understand. I do not think many students in other programs have the chance to work with such remarkable and influential people.

Someone who is very motivated and has a passion for learning and caring. The school of nursing wants individuals who have a voice and want to be leaders and advocates for their future patients. The school is located in West Philadelphia, which has a very diverse population to serve health care to. Students learn and volunteer at the top hospitals and clinicals in the country, where they learn and experience everything they need to be an excellent nurse. A Penn student should also be ambitious and outgoing, and have a passion for learning and experiencing new and different environments.

University of Pennsylvania administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.