Philadelphia, PA
University of Pennsylvania

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Pennsylvania

Fixed  rate loan

Additional Loan Options

Fixed  rate loan

Bianca

Congratulations on being admitted to college! This summer vacation will seem very long, so to ease back into the mental state of learning, I would recommend skimming through your college textbooks over break. When selecting classes, plan ahead by looking at prerequisites for courses you would like to take during later semesters. Be outgoing and explore the surrounding metropolitan area during orientation week. You will likely feel homesick at times, but remember that your family is only a phone call away. Once school starts, focus on doing your best instead of stressing about the curve, and form study groups with classmates. Also, don’t forget to visit professors during office hours to discuss the course material, ask questions, and build relationships. In addition, seek opportunities outside of the classroom like research positions and internships, and get involved with extracurriculars to pursue the things you are passionate about and make friends. Time management will be very important so be aware of assignment deadlines and exams well in advance, and work productively in between classes. Finally, do not forget about the world beyond the campus. Watch the news regularly to stay up to date on politics, the economy, and breaking global developments.

Penn is a great school for students who have a true desire to learn and are passionate about their academic interests. Even though there are four distinct undergraduate schools, the interdisciplinary focus encourages you to take courses in many different fields and broaden your horizons. It is not the best school for students who are solely focused on maintaining a high GPA and test scores to be admitted to an Ivy League school. It is also important to be intellectually curious in order to appreciate the broad range of opportunities such as research and liberal arts seminars that Penn offers.

The University of Pennsylvania does a great job at identifying what is best for its students so it is very difficult to think of something that is frustrating. One suggestion I would make is for Penn to adopt a course “shopping period” like the ones offered by several of its peer institutions. It would allow students to try out different classes for the first two weeks of each semester before enrolling in them.

Christopher

I'd say there are 4 different stereotypes of penn students, depending on which school you're in; Wharton, the College, Engineering, or Nursing. "Whartonites" are known as the cut-throat profit driven, win at all costs type of people. They're the ones setting the curves, going to office hours, and fighting for every last point on every exam. In the college of arts and sciences, we're more laid back, well rounded students. Often indecisive, and prone to complain about class, while staying up til 4 a.m. in van pelt to finish off the 15 page paper due tomorrow. Penn is known as the "social ivy", and students in the college have no problem living up to that name. It's not unusual to see students out at parties as early as thursday night. Engineering students pretty much don't exist outside of the engineering buildings. Their work ethic is different than Wharton students, in that it's not so competitive or money driven, as it is just genuine interest in learning the material, and passing with an A+. Consequently, between 7 class schedules and back to back to back all nighters, engineers pretty much stick to themselves. Nursing students are the soft, nice people who always say hi, and never seem to be too stressed about anything. They seem to live laid back lives, only ever complaining about 7 a.m. clinicals. While of course not every person in these respective schools is a member of these stereotypes, on the whole, they seem to be pretty accurate in capturing the personality of the schools. Thats perhaps why one of the first questions a penn student asks another penn student after first meeting is, "which school are you in?"

Sonali

The best thing about Penn is definitely the people or the students. All students are motivated to do well, but also passionate about multiple interests. The amount of diversity you encounter is tremendous. It is the perfect blend of a campus life located in a city and the perfect example of a school with well-rounded students. Penn is also known for its research and professional resources. No matter what career you are considering Penn is the place to be. It is the school with the highest percentage of students with internships. There are numerous opportunities to get involved in research. One complaint might be that the culture is too pre-professional, but Penn has a great liberal arts program as well. It has some of the best programs in linguistics, psychology and urban studies. Penn is a campus where innovation and research is encouraged and fulfilled. Furthermore, it is one of the best colleges in terms of engaging and serving the community.

The typical Penn kid usually lives a double life. They work hard during the day and week, but make time to go out Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights...sometimes even more. Most Penn kids are pre-professional. You have the whartonites looking into consulting and IB, the pre-meds, engineers and lawyers. The great thing about Penn students though, is that despite being highly academically and professionally driven, they are passionate about many things. Penn is great for diversity. Only here would you find an Asian Computer Science major that is in the campus Hip Hop dance team.

Riley

Dear Self, Experiencing everything that I have the best advise that I could give you is don't be afraid, be bold and go for what your heart desires. Always work hard and trust yourself. Dont let anyone tell you that you are less than great. Take every opportinity given to you and experience everything possible, it helps you become a better person. Always be kind to everyone because it builds character and helps you succeed. If times get hard just remember what is the most important in life family and friends. In the end just remember Grandpa's advice "Keep on, Keep'in on".

I studied amongst a diversity of affable students that came from wealthy, educated origins.

As the economic downturn continues and unemployment soars in the United States, I would advise my college-bound self to attend a more economical, state university rather than an Ivy League institution. I would advise myself to keep college costs low and save funds for graduate studies. In reference to college life, I would recommend myself to network effectively in my respective departments and through extracurricular activities, and to be courageous in asking questions ands "putting yourself out there". Additionally, I would tell myself that being proud of your individuality, avoiding peer pressure and challenging yourself through new circumstances will only make you a stronger person.

Before attending the University of Pennsylvania, I wish someone had educated me on the importance of networking and "putting yourself out there" as a college student. Additionally, it would have been helpful if I were aware of potential scholarships available to undergraduates as the cost-of-attendance has led to much debt.

Vanessa

Penn is a mosaic where the best and brightest minds in both professors and students come together and form one cohesive network where everyone can find a place to excel.

College has given me the opportunity to learn from the best and the brightest minds in both professors and peers, as well as the opportunity to explore new horizons, develop a global perspective, hone my leadership skills and, most of all, to be the best that I can be now and long into the future. College has also shaped my views on which career path I want to pursue and the options available for me to get there. It has solidified my passion for the sciences and pursuing a career in medical research, while allowing me to forge strong relationships with future leaders and build professional and social networks. Through leadership positions and local volunteering opportunities, I have become an even more responsible adult both on campus and in my community. I have been able to feed my endless intellectual curiosity and experience the various cultures. I have numerous opportunities with some of the best researchers in the world, which will help maximize my college experience. College is helping me achieve my career goals, be the best in my field, and have a positive impact on my generation.

The type of person who should attend this school is a person who has a strong work ethic. Penn is full of the brightest minds from all over the world, and in order to succeed, one needs to invest a lot of time and effort. The person should also be passionate about what they are studying because their passion will drive them to maximize all of the incredible resources available to them at Penn. Most importantly, the person should be open because Penn exposes one to a wide variety of people, opportunities, and experiences.

Daniel

At Penn, I have learned that one's academic pursuit ultimately is an independent endeavor. The resources are all available, but they aren't useful unless one goes out to find them. As a student on the medical career track, I feel well-equipped to succeed in medical school. Penn's balanced culture of academic, social, and extracurricular activities has helped me lead a balanced lifestyle. That was one of the main reasons that I wanted to go to Penn, for its balance, and I feel that I have become a more balanced person because of Penn.

It is important to do well on your AP exams in order to receive credit because Penn only honors top scores. Also, if majoring in a science, it is good to commit early because the course load is very stringent for science majors. I wish someone had told me to try challenging courses from freshman year. In hindsight, I think it's far more valuable to challenge oneself from the getgo rather than easing into the more challenging courses after freshman year.

Andi

Penn has a university campus within a major city, and students spend more time exploring downtown Philly after exhausting University City's shopping, restaurants, and bars. Some undergrads also get internships downtown, especially communications majors (eg, with local tv stations, newspapers, magazines, pr firms).

The typical Penn student is white (or Asian), upper-middle class, and from a suburban public high school on the East or West coast of the US. Many people are on financial aid of some kind, including work-study. There is little to no socio-economic snobbery; Penn tuition is a substantial expense for all but a tiny number of students. The financial aid rules leave a window of well-to-do students who are ineligible for work-study but still short of cash, and many of them work in the cafeteria ("dining services"), which is a non work-study job. They include some foreign students who are absurdly wealthy in their home countries but work for spending-money during the school year.

Penn has two world-class hospitals on its campus (HUP and CHoP: Hospital of University of Pennsylvania and Children's Hospital of Philadelphia). This doesn't affect the lives of most Penn students, but for those of us who live with chronic health conditions it makes a huge difference to have help literally at our doorstep. I was diagnosed with a major condition during my second year at Penn. Thanks to HUP, I had top medical care and though I could have taken a leave of absence, having HUP on campus meant I could get the help I needed without missing a semester. The College worked with me to rearrange my course-load and contacted my professors to get extensions of deadlines and explain my absence from class. I graduated on time with honors and distinction in my major. Without HUP on campus and helpful administrators, I might not have survived, much less thrived academically and socially.

Patrially accurate, but with 10,000 undergrads there is room for every kind of person. I was part of a more intellectual group of performers and writers, and loved every minute.

Penn's core requirement is a huge strength of the University. No specific classes are required, but even the most reluctant Engineering student will have to write academic papers, and left-brain Theatre Arts majors have to take math and science. Luckily, a wide variety of courses are available, so English majors don't have to duke it out with the pre-meds if they don't want to fight for a place on thre curve. I took a psychology class and a course in linguistics, and loved both. Everyone has to take a foreign language or pass a proficiency test. I can't speak for Wharton, Engineering, or Nursing students, but I found my professors very accessible and easy to approach. Because I went to office hours and took multiple classes with my favorite professors, I had no trouble getting letters of recommendation for graduate school, even though I asked for them several years after college graduation.

Penn's large size means that just about everyone finds a group of friends easily. Many people become close with the friends they make in the dorms during the first weeks of school Freshman year, and those who don't like their hall-mates will meet their social group through extra-curriculars and student clubs. The trick is that you have to seek these groups out, and be willing to spend time at Hillel, the Writer's House, the Newman Center, or whatever extra-curricular "second home" interests you. There are plenty of students at Penn who don't drink alcohol, but people who are offended by the thought or sight of people who drink might feel uncomfortable living on campus.

Pre-professional; Rich; East Coast; work hard/play hard; competitive/cut-throat;

Tara

My peers at the University of Pennsylvania inspired me to think creatively and challenge everything I thought and knew; each person I met was unique and I learned a little bit from each person. It was like opening a giant box of crayons and seeing all of the different colors, each one brighter than the last. It was intimidating, at times.

My college experience was a unique, though not ideal, one. The most valuable thing I learned was to persevere and to believe in myself. During my freshman year, I was diagnosed with a rare disorder that required a Bone Marrow Transplant, resulting in a two year medical leave. My medical complications created a seemingly insurmountable challenge. It was difficult for me because I had been looking forward to attending college for so long, and I hated that once I was there, it would be interrupted. I was also afraid that I wouldn't be able to go back. I did get through my medical issues and I returned to school in what would have been my senior year. It was hard to see all of my friends graduate, but I soon realized that I could still do it, despite lingering health concerns. I had made it this far, so I continued to push. I wanted to get everything I could out of my college experience. I studied, I socialized and I pursued my interests. I learned that no matter how difficult a challenge might be, I would only have to push harder and I would achieve my goals.

The University of Pennsylvania is not a place for the apathetic and lazy student. There is so much to learn and so many opportunities, a person attending this school should be ambitious and hungry for new experiences.

Andrew

I have gotten reassurance in my lifes path. I have finally got to indulge myself with people who have the same interests and not always the same beliefs. But its from those people i have learned new perspectives and outlooks on life. I'm pursuing a career in teaching at the grammer school level. it has been valuable attending college because i can see my dreams becoming a reality. Every semester that passes i feel that I am one step closer in completing my goal of becoming a teacher. My drive and determination of becoming a teacher pushes me harder and harder with each new semester. Knowledge is king.

University of Pennsylvania administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.