Philadelphia, PA
University of Pennsylvania

Brandi

The cultural diversity and support for research and independent projects are unparalleled. They say having a Penn degree allows you to do anything in this world, and it's because Penn will allow you to do anything as an undergraduate. They really provide any resources or funding you could ever need to accomplish anything-see the world, start your own non-profit, etc.

The most valuable thing I've received from my college experience is the confident assurance that I can do anything, coupled with the knowledge and skills to figure out how to make my dreams happen. Success and drive are unparalleled at Penn, and you come to expect more of yourself and the people who surround you. The world is a smaller, interconnected place, and you act accordingly. You rid yourself of doubts that you can't fund your projects, that you can't accomplish something because you're not good enough. Through its immense resources and support, Penn enables you to launch your career and a life-long process of developing yourself as a world citizen. I never knew the extent to which my advisors would be patient and advocate on my behalf. I didn't realize that literally EVERYTHING was at my fingertips. I also didn't realize the extent to which it would matter that I'd made friends from around the block and from around the world. I've gained a sense of myself, a committment to fully utilizing all resources to make change in the world, and a passionate desire to open those opportunities to others!

The lack of sufficient financial aid considering how expensive an Ivy League education is. Also, I think groups tend to separate culturally too much since there are many opportunities to do so.

Katherine

The University of Pennsylvania is an enthusiastically open-minded institution which encourages a pragmatic and holistic approach to learning in a diverse, urban setting.

To look back on my senior year of high school brings forth a tangled mix of emotions. Unfortunately, my primary memories of that year are clouded by stress and anxiety, and to recall this now truly frustrates me. The regret that I have is not for what I accomplished, for I was accepted at my first choice of schools, but for my general outlook throughout that journey. In all honesty, I allowed myself to become entirely consumed by my pursuit of perfect grades, perfect applications, and acceptance into the "perfect school." There's no way to disguise the fact that I had made myself miserable. My parents knew it, I knew it, but I honestly couldn't shift my focus. I was working incredibly hard in school, maintaining two varsity sports, plus working a part-time job, and instead of taking pride in my accomplishments I was gritting my teeth and waiting for my admissions decisions to arrive. I let the numbers and the grades rule my life, and that was a mistake. If I could rewind and speak to my former self, I would take myself by the shoulders and simply say "BREATHE."

The size of Penn can be viewed as both a positive and a negative feature. While the size of each undergraduate class allows for a wide variety of cultural backgrounds and the expansion of a student's world views, it becomes easy to simply get lost in the crowd/ However, Penn's multifaceted student body also gives rise to copious amounts of student organizations. Therefore, the number of enrolled students can be approached differently by each individual; it's easy to become another student buried in academia, but it's just as easy to become someone of consequence.

Christina

The advice I would give to my high school senior self would be to not start withdrawing. As a senior who was already accepted into colleges, I just wanted the school year to be over and to continue into college. What I didn't put into consideration was that college would be another four years of the same thing, learning. I would tell the past Christina to keep working hard and to expect to work harder in college. There will never be an easy way out of school, so the best thing to do is to study and to relax. Stressing out will only make matters worse, especially in a tough situation. The last thing I would tell myself would be to just be happy and to not hold back on what I want to do. I recently just learned that my future is not to be successful, money wise, but to be successful in happiness.

I think anyone who is willing to work hard is capable of attending University of Pennsylvania, an Ivy League. Anyone who has a dream, a goal, or has full commitment should attend UPenn. I think the students who want to take on a career in something they love, not what their family or friends push them to do, should contine their education at a prestigious school like UPenn.

The University of Pennslvania doesn't have many flaws in their system. Other than the school system, the most frustrating thing about my school is probably the inconvenient hours of operation for the gym and the campus cafeteria. As an Ivy League school, I would have thought more students would be up late studying and when students are studying, in my own opinion, I would want to take a break and get a midnight snack or meal. Besides that, I think University of Pennsylvania is a great school.

Christopher

Breathe. Learn to maximize your high school experience by finding the right balance of work and play. While college is very important, it is not important enough to sell your health just to reach too high for the stars. Dream big. Don't dwell aimlessly in the past. Look towards the future, and believe. However, don't dream too big because when reaching far out of reality's realm can be detrimental to mental health later. Sometimes it'll hurt when you can't seem to grasp what you want, but there's always something else to dream big on. Explore. Assess all the options that you can take, but always keep in mind that there is a countless number of paths you can follow later. Science or math--not your friends? There's others waiting. "See feelingly". Don't always see through your "eyes". Learn to become empathic and become more in tune with the rest of the world. Stay modest and accept what you have, and don't hesitate to reach out for something else. Learn to "see" things in another light. Don't just graduate to a higher level of academics but to a better person.

I wished I was told the importance of high school before college. Great colleges are very competitive nowadays, only taking the brightest. When I graduated from grade school, I just aimlessly entered into any random high school. Little did I know that the school wasn't incredible. I go to college now, and I feel very behind compared to anyone else. My family are immigrants from Hong Kong, and I was born here. Our family was not in tune with the rest of the United States yet as they have been always working.

I think those who did not develop empathy or sympathy to a certain degree should not go to college. I feel like to graduate from high school, you should not only graduate to a higher academic learning, but also social learning. I think people should learn the reality of how most parts of the world do not have it as lucky as the United States do. Just being able to apply to college, stand, actually breathe, laugh, and smile, they should just feel blessed and reap the most out of life instead of criticizing it endlessly.

Charmer

Congratulations on getting accepted into college. I'm pretty sure you think now all you have to do is pass your final classes of high school, get that diploma, and move to your new home in September, right? Wrong! Speaking as someone who is in college and ignored a certain opportunity, I'm begging you to take on something that really doesn't sound attractive: summer programs at your university. Now I know that doesn't sound like an attractive thing to do, going to classes (that don't have an effect on your GPA, by the way) during the summer instead of relaxing. It sounded like a waste of time to me too until I realized the impact starting at new student orientation. Those who went through the summer program had a better connection to the campus. They already knew classmates and upperclassmen and knew how to get around campus. Because of this sense of community stemming from enduring classes, they also were more successful in classs during the initial semester because they knew how to get help immediately. Take a summer program and become a freshman that knows what to do before the fall semester starts.

There are two types of people who shouldn't attend this school: those who aren't willing to take on a huge mental challenge and loners. If you're one or both of these types of people, Penn will make you miserable. With introductory classes like Management 100, you're immediately thrust into a class that doesn't judge you by how you perfrom individually nearly as much as it judges you by how you perform as part of a team. Not only are you challenged to perform well, you have to work with others.

I brag most about the fact that this school is a "studious, but fun" school. Although the classes are extremely challenging, forcing you to work as part of a team, there's also a way to have fun on campus or in the surrounding area that is Philadelphia, Pennsylvania every day. Whether you like to party, listen to poetry or music, or discover new cultures, Penn is one of the best places to take on a mental challenge all while having loads of fun.

Janet

My school is unique and unconventional but at the same time very modern in its teaching and beliefs.

My classmates are extremely driven individuals from all aspects of society that excel both in class and outside of class

As a high schooler I was extremely focused and driven, the end goal being college. Now, as a freshman settled into college I wish I could go back and tell myself that college is not the end of the road, rather the beginning of a new journey. As I tell my high school senior friends now, grades are not everything. Even after coming to an Ivy League school, I discovered that a 4.0 gpa isn't what got most of my peers into this school. More than anything it was their passion for learning and their creativity in thinking. I would tell my high school senior self that despite academic success, nothing can replace the memories of the times I had with my friends and family. When I reflect on high school, it is not the 100s I scored on tests, or the report cards that I think about, but rather my three best friends and the overall experience of knowing that we were not yet adults, with the promise of the rest of our lives ahead of us.

Kasey

The history. The University of Pennsylvania has decades of history on most colleges. You can sense this in the feel of the campus environment, in the silly traditions Penn supports, in the aging fraternity houses in the middle of campus, in the world's first computer, in the close proximity to downtown historic Philadelphia, and in the multitude of alumni who return for events and sporting games. At Penn you feel a part of a bigger path of intellectual studies and you recognize the significance of the college you are attending.

Rush a sorority. This sounds trivial and superficial, but I took the road of "I don't need to pay for friends" and chose not to rush. Whether or not you will join a sorority is left entirely to your future self, but my advice would be to at least rush. In rushing freshman year I imagine I would have broken the personal box I built. It probably would have frozen and crumbled standing outside a sorority house in January in a painfully long line. But instead, I chose not to rush and so my box remained until much later than freshman year. I was afraid to rush, I was afraid to try. Rushing is your step one. Rushing will give you a heads up to the multitude of people, groups, and opportunities on campus. Step two will be taking advantage of all those opportunities you learned about in line rushing. You will now be comfortable springing into groups and activities. You'll get involved with a non-profit or a political group or whatever entices your future self. But, by not completing step one, my own step two was delayed. Rushing is Introduction 101 to trying everything on campus.

My classmates are amazing: they hail from all over the world and display their diverse ideas and lively personalities through their engaging discussions about the most interesting topics, anywhere and at anytime.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to worry so much. The transition to college life is overwhelming, especially when you are thrown into an unknown environment and have to learn to be independent very quickly, but you aren't the only one who is experiencing college for the first time. Millions of students just like you, who have been panicking and agonizing over college applications and writing essays that best capture their thoughts and personality, will join you on this experience of a lifetime. College is a place where you can expand your horizons and become engaged in deep philosophical discussions that can last for hours on end inside or outside of the classroom. However, college is also where you can meet new people and develop friendships that can last a lifetime. Even though college is a new place and you may be worried that you won't be able to manage your time well or have enough time to get involved in every activity on campus, just remember that the new friends you meet in college will always be there to support you.

I wish that I had been more aware of the numerous resources that my school had to offer and how accessible they were to all students. I would have also liked to learn more about the various events that took place on campus and how it was possible for students to have the time and energy to engage in so many different activities, while still focusing on academics. It would have also been nice to learn more about how to transition to college life in general and more about living in a dorm.

Paula

Even though Penn has a pretty big undergraduate program (about 2500 kids in my freshman class), it is still a surprisingly warm environment. Both the teachers and the students are friendly, welcoming, and generally happy to be in Penn.

It's happened more often that I'd like to admit: on my way to class, on the main walk of campus, I feel a chilly wetness on my lower back. I turn around and see a trail of water on the brick pathway. I haven't wet my pants; rather, the water bottle in my bag has come open again. In an attempt to be more environmentally-friendly, I purchased a reusable water bottle at the beginning of the semester, and it simply refuses to stay closed. In a perpetual rush, I haphazardly shove the troublemaker into my backpack and dash of to my next lecture, never stopping to think about the last time I made the same mistake and had to leave my notes out to dry overnight. I don't regret buying the sustainable bottle, although it does make my water taste a little weird at times. But my first semster of college has taught me this: take a little time for yourself. Save yourself some stress and walk, don't run, to lecture. You will gain a lot from taking the extra minute to shut your water bottle properly. I guarantee it.

Penn has something for everyone, for the most part. As a university, it has four undergrad programs - Arts and Sciences, Engineering, Nursing, and Business school. There are countless classes and seminars available in almost any topic imaginable. It's difficult to imagine someone coming here and not finding themselves really interested in what's going on.

University of Pennsylvania administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.