University of Pennsylvania Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Kateryna

Penn is split up into four schools: the College of Arts and Sciences, the Engineering School, the Wharton School of Business, and the Nursing School. The stereotype is pretty different for all four schools. Wharton kids are always thought to be cut-throat, well-bred, competitive, and ready to eat the competition alive. They will be found studying in Huntsman Hall, in a suit 24/7, and sucking up the latest recruiter from Credit Suisse or Goldman Sachs. The College is made up of two kinds of people -- the pre-meds and the not pre-meds. The pre-meds are usually competitive, work in a lab, and will not help you with anything because they know one point for you is a minus for them. The not pre-meds are known as attending "the College of Arts & Crafts". These individuals usually major in things like Urban Studies or Diplomatic History, carry coffee, and dress like hippies. The Engineering School is far away from the center of campus so the engineers usually are not seen unless they stick their head out of a basement of a mechanical engineering lab. They are said to be usually not the most attractive folk, and the only drink they drink is Java (pun?). As for the nursing school, no one actually sees them ever. There is such a few amount of nursing students that seeing one is like seeing a shooting star. The stereotype is a female that cannot handle being pre-med.

Kateryna

Andi

Pre-professional; Rich; East Coast; work hard/play hard; competitive/cut-throat;

Rich, privileged, Jewish, social Ivy

People want to be here. There are very few students who still can’t get over the fact that they were rejected at their number one school; instead, the vast majority of people chose Penn as their number one. Furthermore, the people who had Penn as their first choice are/were incredibly in love with the school, as opposed to having Penn at the top of their list for non-substantive reasons. While many people tend to think of Wharton as the best thing Penn has to offer academically, that thought couldn’t be more wrong. Penn’s nursing, anthropology, English, psychology, and urban studies are top in the nation as well, though the pre-professional atmosphere can often cloud other non-professional areas of study.

Brilliant; sometimes very competitive; sometime elitist

Penn is the "party ivy", West Philadelphia is coming to get us

Jo

That undergraduates do not mingle across the four different schools (College of Arts & Science, School of Engineering & Applied Sciences, Nursing, Wharton).

That they're all jappy and money hungry

Penn students are awesome and they like parties. Also, some people some people study too much and dont like going out.

Rich, liberal, jappy, Uggs, liberal, parties, less-than-deserving-of-ivy-league-status-students, liberal, associated with Penn State, and i'm not sure if i said liberal

Wealthy Jewish kids, love to spend money at clubs, smart but love to party

We're supposed to be snobby, affluent, liquor-guzzling and vapid.

Carson

"social ivy"

Upenn is stereotypically Jewish and Asian. The girls are Harvard-Westlake girls (rich Cali girls) in Uggs, Burberry, and Seven Jeans. The business school is stereotyped to have a lot of Indians and the engineering school to have a lot of East Asians. And within the University different schools stereotype each other. Wharton is rich and stuck-up, Engineering is nerdy an overworked, nursing is all girls and disconnected from all others, and the College of Arts and Sciences is lovingly referred to as the College of Arts and Crafts. Also, Upenn is considered the "Party Ivy" in that we are supposed to party harder and/or more often than other Ivy League Schools.

either all Jews or all asians

Royce

Rich, snobby, smart, Jewish, superficial, pre professional

West Coast Transplant

Jappy, smart, rich, international, spoiled kids. Penn is also considered the "social ivy."

Terry

Well, when I first thought of Penn, images of groupies of WASPs with popped collars and baby blue polo shirts would flood my mind. I had always thought Penn was way too preppy and full of people who were too full of themselves.

Ali

Penn (which by the way is the correct way to refer to it, not UPenn) is generally referred to as the "Social Ivy", although among Ivy League schools we probably have a reputation as being less prestigious. Among schools near us (like Drexel, Villanova, etc), Penn kids are known as being really preppy and kind of stuck up.

Rory

We are generally stereotyped as preppy/rich, work hard and play hard (lots of parties), smart, and career-minded. And Jewish.

they're all smart

some people call us the "Jewniversity of Pennsylvasia"; we're known as the "party Ivy";

Snobby rich kids from Jersey going to Wharton to sell their souls now and buy their yachts later, or the Jap from New Jersey getting her psych or PPE major and a ring.

Nellie

WIth Wharton most of the stereotypes are about how business-oriented the students are. Also that there are a lot of rich, jewish students. Also that Penn has a "work hard study hard" dynamic, and that we're the "party ivy."

Jody

...we didn't get into H.Y.P., where the letters H. Y. P. represent certain schools (here to be nameless) in Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New Jersey.

Most Penn students are a diverse group of people who are down to earth, helpful, and have a great balance between work and fun. The rest are in Wharton or Engineering.

Margo

Extremely motivated and career-driven All of the students are Wharton students interested in Finance