Philadelphia, PA

The most frustrating aspect of the University of Pennsylvania is the segregation that occurs amongst students. Despite the fact that most students are accepting of people from different backgrounds, there is an established culture which causes students to immediately flock to their classmates who are of a background similar to theirs once they arrive on campus. Unfortunately, this takes away from the schoool's efforts to open students' eyes to the wonderful differences that exist in all Penn students. This university would rise to an even greater level of excellence if students no longer segregated themselves along racial lines.

There are two very frustrating things about my school. Firstly, the competitiveness is frustrating because it seems to be unwarranted and a bit overboard at time. There are times when it is completely unneccessary to be so competitive. People dont understand that grades arent always a zero sum game; meaning if I do well doesnt mean that you will do poorly. Secondly, the pre-professional nature of the school can be annoying at times. The Wharton School is the best undergraduate business school in the country and thus has much influence over the rest of colleges at Penn.

The University of Pennslvania doesn't have many flaws in their system. Other than the school system, the most frustrating thing about my school is probably the inconvenient hours of operation for the gym and the campus cafeteria. As an Ivy League school, I would have thought more students would be up late studying and when students are studying, in my own opinion, I would want to take a break and get a midnight snack or meal. Besides that, I think University of Pennsylvania is a great school.

The University of Pennsylvania does a great job at identifying what is best for its students so it is very difficult to think of something that is frustrating. One suggestion I would make is for Penn to adopt a course “shopping period” like the ones offered by several of its peer institutions. It would allow students to try out different classes for the first two weeks of each semester before enrolling in them.

There are a lot of cliques, but that's characteristic of any college. I feel like the cliques are especially prevelant in the Black community. If you don't live in the all-Black dorm, then it feels like you're treated like an outcast i nthe Black community. It's unfortunate that this happens, and that Doctor King's legacy of integration isn't taken to heart as much as it could be.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the amount of work I have to get done in a specific amount of time. TIME is a virtue, and frequently I feel pressed for time when I'm studying for a test. It seems as though no matter how hard you study here, the exams are always a challenge. The professors challenege each and every one of the students.

The most frustrating thing about my school would probably be some of the extra requirements that had to be fulfilled such as Writing Seminar and the Language Requirement, but I think in the end both will be beneficial.

The most frustrating thing about Penn is the emphasis on high fashion and that people are sometimes more interested in making "connections," rather than making real friends.

The dining hall food is pretty bad, especially at 1920's Commons, and they often run out of important items like milk for cereal, especially during weekend brunch.

The meal plans are not very good, and are very expensive for their value. The food is not bad, but the diversity and flexibility of a meal plan isn't very good.