University of Phoenix-Southern Arizona Campus Top Questions

kameisha

The advice I would give to myself is to be patient, I am stringer than I know!

Many high school students do not know what career they should follow once they graduate. If I could go back in time I would tell myself to get to know who I am outside of school and my immediate circle of friends. This would help any student be more decisive on their career choices. Many students change their majors at least once while they are attending college. Getting to know one’s self and really understand the numerous careers that can be obtained with different degrees would also be helpful on deciding what the student would like to major in.

Kala

If I were to go back to my highschool self I would definitely tell myself to take harder classes. To take the college course classes and get the credits before you pay outrageous prices for them. I would tell myself to explore all my college options before jumping into just one and setting my mind on only one because all my friends are going there. I would tell myself to search for scholarships, day in and day out. To search for grants and use the school counslers to provide me with tons of scholarship/grant information. I would tell myself to make good decisions, and to not jump at the first "best" oppertunity that comes my way. I would tell myself to save every penny, so when I decided to move out, it wouldnt be so tight on money. At last I would tell myself to enjoy highschool, because the next step is the biggest most tiring step of them all, and you can never go back to your highschool years with someone guiding you everystep, so take advantage of that. Use all the resources you can and never give up. There's always something out there for everyone.

Sheryl

The retrospective advice to my high school self would have been to stay in college right after high school. At that time, I had obtained a full four year academic scholarship to the University of Arizona. Had I stayed in college, I would have pursued the opportunites for advanced education, such as a doctorate. Additionally, if I had known I would be financially required to work both a full-time and part-time job for more than 20 years, due to lack of a degree, only to find myself even more financially buried to attend school now; I would have made it clear to myself that staying in school straight from high school was the smartest option for the future.

Make the jump. You can spend your whole life waiting for that epiphany to come and it will never happen. You do not know what you want to do with your life because you spend too much time dissecting every decision until you forget what the purpose is. If you see a door open, walk through the door. You will not be young forever, and dragging out education into your 30’s is not the best choice for your life. You may not like this field, but that is because your real calling in life is to follow God and to have a family. The fact still remains, you need an education. You need to study, even when you feel like giving up. You need to apply for scholarships, even if you feel unworthy. You need to open your eyes to the reality of life. Life is hard and you need a degree. Study the material, believe in yourself. Just because your mother did not even finish middle school, and your siblings will spend years of their life trying to finish college and never succeed, does not mean you are destined for failure. You will graduate.

I would have told myself to buckle down and get into a good college right out of high school. I would have said it won't be has hard as you think it will be. It won't be has much money as you think. You could do so much good in your life. You could become a Doctor if you just apply yourself and study. Take advantage of just finishing school, with your knowledge still fresh in your mind. If you wait to long it may be hard for you to get back in the groove of school. You may have to relearn some simple things like math and grammar. It won't be as bad as you think, just do it!

Shenna

One piece of advice I would give myself is that your parents are one hundred percent right about everything. You will understand as you start to experience your adult life. My mother always told me to get good grades to ensure I had a good GPA. That is another thing I wish I could go back and do over. While I graduated with a decent gpa, but I could have done much better. GPA is something colleges look at prior to acceptance. The biggest advice I would give myself is to learn to be a responsible adult. A college education is important. It helps us gain the required knowledge to succeed in the workforce and also make a decent financial living. I would tell myself that the most important thing right now is not boys, but your education. Because if you get your education now, you won’t have to cry about not having it later. There are just so many regrets now and not going straight into college when I’d just graduated is one of them.

There is nothing I would have told myself from the past. I have lived a wonderful roller-coaster ride of a life, and would not change a thing about it.

School is expensive. Make sure that you look for help to pay for college. Dont wait till you have three kids and school is much more expensive since you have to pay for child care on top of tuition. Make every class count. They more you put into the more you will get out of it. Some people dont get the oppotunity to go to school so take advantage!

Skyler

If I could go back in time and talk to my highschool self, I would say "Embrace lifelong learning." My highschool self and his peers often see educational pursuits as a "hurdle" which must be navigated in order to get to the "real world". The truth is that the most successfull employees/business owners are lifelong learners. The cessation of high school and/or college does not mean the learning stops, or at least it shouldn't. Throughout life, we will all here people say that we don't have enough college degrees or the right ones. The ultimate goal then is to look at education as a process rather than a one-time event. Learning things on-the-job and exploring certification programs does nothing but help you. Staying enrolled in college programs even if you already have a degree can keep you sharp and competitive in your career. Education is not just a "right of passage" - it's a lifestyle. You've already started, be prepared to continue on!

Brenda

If I could go back in time and talk to myself, as a high school senior, about college I would strongly advise myself not to be afraid. College is challenging yet rewarding. You only get once chance in life; take the 'bull by the horns' and give it your best shot. Afterall, I deserve it!

Brandi

Look into colleges before you decide which one you will attend. Don't make impulsive descisions and don't try to be Wonder Woman. Take into account working full time and volunteer hours when looking at the time commitment needed for each university. Take into consideration financial expenses, including tuition, books, food, and parking. Get your degree in not only something you're good at, but something you enjoy doing, that will make your classes that much more enjoyable. Finally, make your college experience all you want it to be, don't second guess yourself. Volunteer, be a part of clubs and sports groups. Succeed in the classroom while making new friends and setting the foundation for your adult life.

As a high school student I was never one to pay attention, that would've all been different now knowing how difficult college is. My senior year in high school I was always the kid to talk while my teacher was lecturing the class or be writing a note. If I could go back now, I would've changed so many of my bad habits. I would have payed attention and took noted of EVERYTHING & saved my gossip conversations for lunch hour. I would have tryed my hardest to get superior grades in all of my classes. In doing so than, would have prepared myself for college life. College is not joke, it's up to yourself to do everything, if I don't listen, than I'm basically only hurting myself. If I could give advice to the high schoolers now it would be to try your hardest, don't slack, give all of you homework your all, and be the best succeeder you can be.

Scholarship Essay If I could go back in time and see myself as a college student I would definitely tell myself how important it is to stay in school and attend my classes. I graduated high school but I definitely had some problems, mainly with attending my classes. After being in a college setting and seeing how important attendance and participation is I am kicking myself for not attending my classes how I should in high school. I went from being a District Honor Roll student to a high school Senior who barely squeezed by. I feel that if I had gone to my classes when expected to I would have been in a much better boat come graduation time. Now that I am a mother of three children, I can see that I need to set a great example schoolwise for them. I have recently started college online and am bound and determined to not only meet the standards but exceed them. I hope that my children will do the same. I would hate for them to end up like that high school Senior that I was. I have changed my outlook on school!

merri

Having the ability to go back in time would be thrilling and to be able to talk to myself would be somewhat hard, because I was quite rebelious in those days so I would have to get my attention. Back in the 60s and 70s the importance of a solid education and being a highschool graduate was not the topic of importance as much as the draft and being a hippie. So explaining the concept in a non-boring manner with incentives attached would be one way to grab my attention. Competition was another, and going over the plan of how to graduate; the credits needed, how to recieve them and a monthly print out of status would be helpful. The aid of other college attending students that are normal as anyone else that could take the time to talk to high school seniors about what's a head of them, show them the choices in the immediate future, let them know what they can choose and how to get there. Make them aware of the funding available and that the burden will not have to fall totally on students parents or on them, that funding is available.

Marcia

Don't let little things stop you from getting where you want to be. The time to do is now, life happens and the future will slip away. You are a dreamer, and building the future starts with a dream.

If I could go back and tell myself one thing it would be not to wait so long. The longer you wait the harder it is to get started again. Going to college is the foundation to life and how you are able to live. Time is a fragile thing to waste, nothing and no one is worth sacraficing your ability to make a better future for yourself. I know now that I need to work that much harder to get where I should. No one is going to knock on your door and offer you a future; you need to set your own path!

If I were to go back in time, I would tell myself to slow down. When I was a high school senior, I was determined to go to a four year college right out of high school. I ended up going to a community college right down the road, and I'm so glad I did. In doing so, I learned that I was no where close to ready for such a big step when I was graduationg high school.

The advice that I would give my high school senior self would be to study hard and get good grades for the year. Apply for colleges early and work on your resumes. Volunteer in the community, apply for scholarships and be much more involved at school. All of these things will help your college career! Your life depends on these seemingly small tasks! If you have to, quit your job at the firm, or decrease your hours in order to volunteer and be involved in school. You must prioritize your life and college is extremely important. You do not want to end up like your mother. This is the advice you must follow to be successful in your academic career.

Filiberto

The University of Phoenix in all its deficiencies is still the one entity that provided me with a bank of skills and knowledge for a person against adversity. Simply, the University of Phoenix is the one hand that stretched down to pick me up and support me towards my goals. There are many improvements to make to the University of Phoenix, but the bottom line is that it stands true to its commitment, the University of Phoenix does provide an opportunity to learn. One thing is for sure, Im no longer a High School grad; I have become a very competent skilled professional in accounting, with excellent writing skills, socially responsible citizen, effective problem solver, informed student and a professionaly acquainted individual. I am the result of the valuable research I conducted, the dozens of books I read, the lectures I listened to, the discussions I participated in, the assignments I practiced with, and the reflections from which I learned; made possible by the University of Phoenix. It deserves my gratitude.

Mabel

My college experience has allowed me to understand what I want to do with my life career-wise. I have been able to learn more about my chosen area of study and I hope to keep learning. I would like to keep attending college so that I may be able to have a career in the profession that I enjoy. This will allow me to be independant and not have to depend on others for my needs. Attending college will enable me to meet these goals. No one in my family has completed college. I would love to be the first one to accomplish this goal. Learning online has made it much easier to attend all my courses since I do not have to travel long distances to reach my classes or spend money on traveling back and forth. I have enjoyed the whole college experience ; without it I never would have been able to figure out what career I really wanted to do. Through trial and error I have come to realize what I enjoy most which is photography.

During my college experience I have gained an appreciation for all the professions. When I started college I was unsure what I wanted to do with my life. I have changed majors twice so far and think I finally know what course I want to pursue. One of the most valuable lessons I've learned from college is just how important a good education is. In the world today you need to be smart and well qualified to have a job. School is the way we do that. I have grown to enjoy learning and want to be able to help people by going into the healthcare field. I have lots of school ahead of me and I see now that education is the key to a happy and successful future.

Brandi

So far I have gained invaluable knowledge about navigating through my classrooms and online forums. I have also learned time management skills that have been very useful, since I also have a family and am working part time. I have also learned to stay focused on my dream of obtaining a health care career that I have always wanted. It has been valuable to attend because without this degree I would be letting myself and my children down. They are the main reason for doing this. I hope to lead them to the right path to academic success. Our children are the future and without someone leading them in the right direction, they may be lost. I believe that with a health care career that not only will my family and myself benefit, but so will the countless others that I plan to help.

My college experience has provided me with the knowledge I must obtain in order to fulfill my desired career. My classes are small, interactive, and the instructors are full of energy. I believe that because of the possibilities a college education offers, the value of acquiring extended education is priceless.

I will in the spring of 2010 receive my assosiate of arts degree and be on my way to a B.A. of architecture. I have already passed my parents considering they never went to college. I'm enjoying both the learning exprience and knowledge I'm gaining along with the overall experience of going to college. I feel that this is the primary way for me to live a happy and comfortable life by going to college and getting an education.

For me, college has been such an opportunity to explore who I am as a person and to develop clear personal and career goals. In high school, you are grouped with the same people for years and it is most difficult to branch out and try something new. I have learned to be comfortable: working in groups, speaking in front of the class, and taking care of college finances and paperwork on my own. My self-confidence has grown by leaps and bounds. Attending community college has been valuable as I've been able to clarify what types of people I most want to work with as a social worker. I've done volunteer work in several different settings and now know I want to work with adolescents. Also, I have 2 years of college done without going into debt. Going to a community college close to home was definitely the best choice for me. I am now a confident, motivated woman ready to tackle the next stage of my education and I have achieved this without the huge loans many of my friends are saddled with.

My college experience has proven to be invaluable. From International Travel Studies to the basics of communication. I am a better person today because this experience has forced me to expand my mind and think about subjects that are new. Learning is a life skill and one must never stop! Meeting people, adjusting to different professors and learning new ways to study different material make the entire college experience valuable. Expanding and constricting to the great expectation of college is new and exciting. Everything today is preparation for the future. Currently, I am a member of Phi Theta Kappa and will continue to strive for excellence when approaching my Bachelors degree. Continuing my education will prove to be important when I move into the work force.

Mindy

I have learned from the college experience is it is nothing like high school. You have to make sure you study hard for every test, it won't come easy like high school did. If you do not study for a test and fail it, it is hard to bring your grade up in the future. It is valuable to attend to study hard because I want to get the best grade I am capable of.

I would tell myself to work harder and actually take the time to find help to go to school by applying for scholarships? and other ways to pay for school. Also I would have told myself to finish school first and having that piece of paper stating that I have a bachelor?s degree instead of buying a house at the age of 20 and working full-time is more important. Because I did a few things backwards finishing school now is twice as hard as it could have been. I have obligations to working full-time to pay my mortgage and then still wanting to finish school makes stress levels go up. I also would have told myself then to enjoy life instead of jumping into adulthood so fast. Even though being to first child in my family out of five to buy their own house was an accomplishment of mine, it could have waited a few years before reaching it.

Dannae

If I could go back to my senior year, one thing I would have done different is I would have taken general education classes at the community college. The reason for that is because they are more affordable there and I could have transferred them to the University I attend now. Another thing is I would have taken school more serious, such as getting better grades and being involved more. It is easy not to worry about tuition at first, but when you no longer qualify for financial aid and you're looking for scholarships, a lot of them ask about grades and extra curricular activities you're involved in.

Katlin

I would tell myself not to worry about things that did not matter. I would tell myself to take all of the advanced placement classes I could, because those are the classes that would best prepare me for what was to come. I would also tell myself not to worry about the small things, but to focus on the bigger picture. To enjoy my time as a senior and not worry so much about what was to come. I would say that no matter how much I did not believe it then, I would one day look back and miss high school. Finally, I would tell myself to cherish all the special memories of high school, because I can never get them back.

Go into college with an open mind and always finish what you start!