Bradford, PA
University of Pittsburgh-Bradford

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Pittsburgh-Bradford

Marie

Have faith in yourself. Enroll in college now. You do have the ability, and you will be successful. Make your education your top priority. You won't regret it later in life, I promise. I know because I am there, in your future, right now. Looking back, I wish you had gone to college sooner. Why wait? Working hard in college will give you self esteem and confidence, those qualities you lack. More than anything else, you will gain independence through education. Who knows what challenges life will bring. You will be better prepared to handle life with an education. No one can take your education away; it is life long, a worthwhile investment. Those years will pass by anyway; you might as well be working toward your goals...starting right now. Take the first step, and don't wait. There is nothing more important. Do it for you.

UPB is very small, allowing for close relationships between students and with professors. The faculty are top-notch, accessible and genuinely concerned with student success. I felt comfortable there. The buildings and classrooms are new and clean. The education I received was excellent. It was home to me for four years, and I have been homesick ever since.

I found nothing to be frustrating about UPB except trying to find a parking space on a weekday.

Meghan

My classmates are very helpful, polite and would do anything for anybody.

My classmates are very helpful, polite and would do anything for anybody.

The advice I would give myself is high school prepares you for the schoolwork, the studying etc... but it does not prepare you for the peer pressure. Peer pressure in high school was nothing compared to college. I was not a drinker during my high school years and my second semester in college I started drinking heavily and weekly making my grades drop and eventually I dropped out. Now that I have realized you can't make it today without a college degree especially the area I live in I wish I could of known them drunkin nights did nothing for my future even though i might of created a couple friends along the way but was is more important friends or a college degree?

The professors are very helpful along with the small classroom size.

Desmond

My classmates typically like to party when they don't have anything to do. They are friendly and helpful, and they take some of the stress out of the adjustment period.

The class sizes are small and that means better access to professors. The upper-classmen are very helpful and don't typically haze freshmen and sophmores.

I would tell myself to apply in-state. Because the tuition will ad up over time and you don't need that extra stress. Also, be serious about your work at all times. Aleays try to get the best grade possibe. Partying and hanging out with friends is not as important as gettig the highest grades possible. Always ask questions in class. Don't ever be enbarrassed about asking a question because a couple of laughs from others is not as important as understanding the material that is being taught. Make sure you meet people that do the right thing, and that are willing to hlep you when you need it. After all, your success is most important.

Rebecca

I would tell myself to make sure I interact with my teachers when the opportunity is available. Having a good relationship with professors is always a plus when it comes to not understanding something. Studying can seem like a waste of time when others are out having fun, but it helps out greatly. I would also tell myself not to get sucked up into the typical college lifestyle, which I have successfully done thus far, and that it does not matter if I am one of the people that party every weekend. One mistake that I made at the beginning of the year was not being as social as I should have. Being a freshman, everyone is in the same boat you are. No one knows each other so take advantage of meeting new people, be outgoing. College is what you make it, if you isolate yourself you'll get bored. Be social yet be responsible at the same time.

The classes and teachers. Each class is relatively small, the largest I've had thus far has been of 30 people. The teachers actually care about their students and with small class sizes there is more student-teacher interaction.

It's the complete opposite of my hometown, there's nothing really around to do for fun. The movie theater only plays one movie at a time, there's not a mall that's close. The campus is just in the middle of no where.

Josh

I have attended UPB for the past three years, and I can tell you that this was one of the best experiences of my life. The campus itself, situated in a valley surrounded by the Allegheny forest, is one of the most beautiful campus I have seen in this country. The "small campus" setting provides a sense of community and belonging amongst the students, and because it is small, you get to know almost all of your fellow students, your professors and your administrators. Although the town of Bradford does not have as much to do as would a big city, the Student Activities Council on campus provides plenty of opportunities (comedy shows, concerts, games, seminars) for students to get out of their dorm rooms and work off some of the stress that comes with college coursework. I have really loved my time here at UPB and I have met friends that have become best friends, have been given plenty of opportunities by members of the staff and faculty to be successful, and have had a some of the best times of my life along the way. If you are someone that wants to succeed (at school and in life), enjoys the small town setting but also likes to have fun, and would like a lot of help and encouragement along the way, then UPB is definitely for you.

The student body at UPB is exceptional. We here just love to have fun (while maintaining good grades of course). We also have a ton of diversity at Pitt Bradford, so you are able to get to know a lot of different cultures and backgrounds. Students at UPB are interested in a variety of different things from sports to politics to business and everything in between. My best friends at college all were in different majors and we all have similar likes and dislikes. It is really easy to make friends and get to know a little bit more about the world around you from our diverse student body. Also, since we have so many clubs on campus, it is very easy for students to find a club (or clubs) that interests them and make friends, learn and have fun.

To sum up Pitt-Bradford in one word: amazing. There is enough here to do both during the week and during the weekends to keep all students busy and having fun (when they are not studying). We also have a great faculty and staff that are more than eager to help students with homework or any other issues they may be having. Our faculty here gear students for the work world so that they can be successful after college, and they are always there to help struggling students. Lastly, although our campus is a wet campus (alcohol is allowed in small quantities for those over 21), the campus is extremely safe so there is nothing that new students need to worry about (except doing well in their classes of course).

1. No, many of the students at UPB are from places all around Pennsylvania, and many are from around the country and even around the world. We have a very diverse student body here at UPB. 2. No, many of Pitt Bradford's students are direct applicants to UPB. Our beautiful campus, excellent professor to students ratio, and community atmosphere make Pitt Bradford the number one choice for many students.

Academic life at UPB is probably among the best in the country for a small school. I know all of my professors by name and frequently call on them for advice on my future, the classes I am taking, and just to chat. While at Pitt-Bradford, my favorite class was Introduction to International Affairs. Although I am a Business Management major, I am a nut about politics and foreign affairs, and this class really taught me a lot. In fact, many of my favorite classes and favorite professors have come outside the realm of my major. If you really like to learn about all kinds of different things (and still study a specific topic in which you can start a career), then you are like me and would definitely get a lot out of UPB. In terms of my major's department itself, I have loved most of the classes I have taken and have been presented with a lot of opportunities by the professors that teach them (including my job here at Pitt and an internship). I have noticed that professors in my major are always teaching us the ropes so that we can be successful in the work world and really maximize on our education. I believe that the focus on employment after college by many of my business classes has really prepared me to enter the work force next year and be successful.

Thanks to SGA and Student Activities Council (SAC) and of course the amazing students that attend UPB, there is always something to around UPB. Some of the activities that SAC, SGA and the individual clubs put on annually include: Comedians Poetry Readings Music Concerts Game Shows (college bowl, air band, Pitt Idol) Bonfires Special events (lectures, relaxation nights, etc.) Select Trips (Washington DC, New York City, Gettysburg, Cedar Point etc.) Outdoor trips (Skiing, tubing, white water rafting) Also, the town of Bradford and close surrounding towns offer many exciting activities including great food (something every college student loves and needs), bowling, gaming, and Putt Putt. Apart from the student activities and events on campus and the things to do around town, Pitt-Bradford also has a variety of sporting events that students can attend (basketball games, soccer games, swimming matches, tennis matches, baseball/softball games, and intramural games (football, softball, etc.) Lastly, there are 6 social fraternities and sororities on campus that students can join that usually offer a good stress reducer on the weekends.

1. That the students here at UPB are all from Bradford and attended Bradford high. 2. That students are here only because they were not accepted anywhere else.

Kelly

The truth of the matter is this campus is growing so much, and will continue to grow, because of the great people working here and the technology we offer that you can't get on other campuses. No matter what your major is, you will get hands on experience. And with the small class sizes you get quality time with professors, that in my experience, are genuinely nice people who will go out of their way to help you.

Generally speaking, the most honest thing I can say in regards to the people that go here is that they are all nice. That's one of the first things I noticed when I came here was not only how nice the professors were but the students too. Everybody thats involved in this level of higher learning usually is passionate about a lot of different things, and you can see that with students who go here. Because of the broad education you get, you'll see a broad mix of people too and that makes for a better college experience.

It's only going to get bigger and better :)

As I said above, Pitt- Bradford's student body is a good mix of local people and people who came here from all over.

Professors here really want you to do well. They know your name, they know your story, and that makes for a really great academic experience. As a student in the communications department I've got to be a part of things that I LOVE doing. My classes are always interesting and the professors make learning fun.

I myself don't live on campus but I am involved in the tennis team and thats been a great experience so far. It's a great way to meet new people and stay active. I'm not active in a lot of the clubs and organizations on campus but I know thats probably something I'll regret later on. If I could go back and do it again I would get involved more because there's a lot of worthy causes I'd like to be involved with.

Speaking as someone who is from Bradford, I've heard a lot of people say that the majority of the people that attend this school are from Bradford, or from the area. While yes, a lot of students from Bradford and surrounding areas go to Pitt- Bradford, there are just as many who are from out of state and even out of the country. I think people have a tendency to write this school off immediately because they feel they won't get to know people from different areas and backgrounds, and that's simply not true.

Shelly

Classmates on campus are very friendly, understanding, fun, and non-judgemental.

Try to choose a college that feels like home. It lessens the home-sick feeling a lot!

I think that if you hate snow, rain, ice and really cold temperatures then you shouldn't go to the University of Pittsburgh at Bradford.

Ahmed

Classmates are friendly and helpfully.

Classmates are friendly and helpfully.

There are definitely a lot of things i could mention on this topic, but i feel that they're a few major pieces that should be taken into account. The number one issue should be finances, you should choose an institution that fits your financial background. Think about your career. What are you interested in and do the schools your applying for specialize in that program to insure you receieve the best education possible. Your living background should also be strongly discussed in determining a school. You have to ask yourself do you want to go somewhere that offers the same environment or do you want to experience something brand new. I believe that these issues should be top priority when reviewing school because they ultimately determine the difficulty in the transition from high schol to college. You want school to be the only thing that is on your mind, especially during the first year.

you should not attend this school if you dont like snowy and rainy whether. If you are use to a fast paced city life this wont be an easy transition.

Ash

First and foremost, if you are coming to Pitt-Bradford with a closed mind, you will not enjoy yourself. However, if you are open to new ideas and new possibilities, then you will find yourself amongst like-minded people. The campus, as well as the town, may be small but the hearts here are ever growing. The faculty and staff here will go out of their way to help you and make sure you are staying on track. They take pride in their students, and it makes it much easier and rewarding learning from a professor that takes pride in their craft. For the most part, everyone here takes pride in what they do, from the grounds keepers that keep our campus immaculate to the police officers that keep us safe to the students who show their Panther Pride at sporting events.

From the politician’s daughter to the farmer’s son, there is no telling who you’ll be sitting next to in class. The students here seem to mix pretty well. Of course there are individuals that don’t get along, but as far as groups go, you will not see much separation, if you see any at all.

As long as you open your heart and your books, you’ll do just fine here!!

In actuality, many students come here because they prefer small campuses rather than large. Students also come here because they receive a world-renowned degree, and still get the direct attention/assistance they need to achieve their goals.

The classes here are relatively small, I personally have never heard of a class of more than 30 students and even those are the more general classes such as Fundamentals of Mathematics or English Composition, which everyone must take. However, the classes here are smaller in size and most of them are unique in some aspect. My most unique class would have to have been Death and Dying with Professor Stephanie Eckstrom. I remember coming across it in the course catalog and thinking that it had to have been a Life Science course but as I read on, I saw that it was a Sociology course. At the time, I was taking The Family with Professor Eckstrom, so I knew how hilariously satirical she was, so I just had to take a course about death with her. I thought it would be similar to going to a comedy club every week, and I was right. However, I must tell you that every class I ever took with Dr. Helene Lawson was very unique, because that it is simply the best way to describe her. She, to me, exemplifies the student-professor relationship here at UPB. She will go out of her way to help her students with anything and is genuinely concerned with their improvement in the classroom as well as their interests/priorities outside of the class. You will find that you can say this about many of the professors here at Pitt-Bradford.

People always ask, “What is there to do here?” In town we have a bowling alley, movie theatre, mini-golf, Wal-Mart (smile) and a few restaurants, however we try to provide the student body with on campus options as well. We have annual event such as Airband, our lip-synching contest; Sibs and Kids Weekend, siblings and other young family members of the students are invited to participate in a day of fun and are welcome to stay in the dorms with their Pitt-family member; Winter Formal, students dress up in their best and dance the night away; Cultural Festival, a variety of cultures are showcased through song, dance, food and dress; and so much more. We also have at least 1 comedian come to campus every month, as well as a host of other events organized by the Student Activities Council (SAC) and Student Government Association (SGA). If SAC and SGA don’t have it, then another club here probably does, such as the Literary Club, Anime Club, Education Club, African American Student Union, Art Club, etc. Sports are offered here as well, we have: Men’s Basketball Women’s Basketball Baseball Softball Men’s Soccer Women’s Soccer Swimming Men’s Golf Women’s Golf Tennis Women’s Volleyball During basketball games, the biggest being March Madness which starts the season, we have the Dance Team, the Diamond Steppers and the cheerleaders all perform. Bus trips are also offered for some of the Pitt home football games. Of course we have Greek life as well. We have six local organizations; no recognized national organizations as of yet. We have three sororities; Zeta Alpha Chi (I love my sister organization!!), Theta Sigma Delta, and Lambda Xi and three fraternities; Delta Omega Phi, Phi Kappa Epsilon and of course my favorite (smile), Sigma Lambda Chi. For the most part, everyone can find something to do here at Pitt-Bradford, you just have to look!!

The biggest stereotype about Pitt-Bradford is that no one ever chooses to come here; students only come here through the University’s Options program or they are from the area and didn’t want to go that far away from home.

I would tell students and parents to get active now. Your senior year in college should not be the first time you start thinking about where you wanna go and what you wanna do. If you find that you are not happy with your decision later in life it costs so much money to start over and may waste quite a bit of time you could have been using to be productive towards your degree. It is best to talk to students who already attend the school and maybe even have your major to see what their experience is like and see if it sounds appealing to you also. College is about to be a big part of your life. You should make sure you know what your goals are whether they be academically or personally. It is a stressful and confusing decision but in the end going to college and becoming your own person is completely worth it.

The best thing about this campus is being such a small campus. You feel like you are independent and on your own but if you need help there is always going to be someone there for you from the many tutuoring options to counseling availability. This campus can reassure parents their student will be taken care of and they will get a quality education.

The school is a very close community. It is away from the city and a small little neighborhood almost. Recently they have been trying to expand and accept too many students. The cafeteria is often a little crowded and classes fill up faster than usual but it is just a minor set back.

University of Pittsburgh-Bradford administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.