Johnstown, PA
University of Pittsburgh-Johnstown

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Pittsburgh-Johnstown

The advice that I would give my high school self is to be more open to the new experiences. With school work and a job, it can seem impossible to actually keep a social life with clubs. Joining clubs was the main way I made friends and helpful people who were in my classes. I was extremely fearful coming into the university just because I was worried about being a failure. When you have those thoughts in your mind, it can seem impossible for you to have an enjoyable experience at college. I would tell my high school self to enjoy these moments of your Freshman year just because they will never come back. College can be pretty stressful and tough at times, but to not let the bad times mess with my head.

My school is best known for their outdoor campus and their name. This name is known in many places and gives you the same chances as other universities.

There are many oppurtunities that proceed this school. People who want to have a small class size along with the idea of a beautiful outdoor campus. There are many activities and it is very easy to make friends since it is a small school with big possibilites.

Katie

UPJ is a small, fairly descent, academic intitution set in the middle of a small, woodsy town.

Someone who needs a lot of independence and seeks a big city and a lot of opportunities.

Doyle

They are all very helpful and nice.

They are all very helpful and nice.

My Friend, College really isn't as hard as you think. All the fear inside is mostly stranger anxeity, and not stress of the transition from high school to college. If you studied hard in high school then don't worry. Use whatever you have been doing before college. The more stressed and overworked you are, the chances are you are not going to survive in college. Always keep a calm, level head. Most importantly though, make as many friends as you can. They help boost your self- worth and confidence. Both are the keys to a successful college career. One more thing, do not change yourself to fit in with others. College is about accepting who you are, and not forgetting who were. Bad thing may have happened in high school, but it does not matter now. There is no from high school where you're going. Good luck with your new world.

Really, it doesn't matter who you are to be here. However, you shouldn't be here if you're not going to take everything here seriously.

Brynn

I would tell myself to aim higher because I could have gone to a better school and not be in the perdiciment I am in today. I would also tell myself to go for what I really want instead of just trying to please everyone else. A higher education is up to you, and if you aren't happy with what you are learning in college, then you aren't going to be happy in that career. I would tell myself to go for what I want and enjoy life at college.

The housing contract. You have to keep it the whole year unless you transfer to a different school. It is not fair.

Allison

The school is best known for its commitment to teaching the students the best way to learn, and go about learning. Extra help is always available either by faculty or by tutors.

I would tell my high school self that college is going to be okay. Even though I have gone through three majors I am now on the right track and know what I want to do with my life. College is not as bad as you thought it would be, and you are happy with the decisions you have made. You have made some great friends and have been living life fully and you are loving every minute of it. Your job is great and you are volunteering as a coach for your high school softball team. Life is good for you and you have a great support system in your friends and family.

The campus can be very dead on the weekends. I go home every weekend because I live close, but I have heard from many people that the parking lots are empy on weekends.

Alyssa

UPJ is a cozy, well organized school with a lot of character. If you are looking for a school with just the right amount of students and prefer a smaller classroom size then this is the place for you. The teachers here are very available to their students and genuinely care about them, unlike what one may experience at a larger school. Overall, UPJ is a wonderful branch campus of the University of Pittsburgh and continues to become the best of all of them with its rising student body, state of the art fitness center, and growth of academic programs.

If I could go back to my senior year and tell myself some words of advice it would have to be to never limit my dreams or aspirations, as cliche as that may sound. Back in the eighth grade before I understand who/what I wanted to be, I took a vocational placement test. My results indicated that I would best be suited for a teacher/counselor position. Needless to say, after playing teacher throughout my childhood, and then to hear from some test and my family that it was best for me, I decided as a senior to settle upon the "good" or "safe" decision and major in secondary education social studies. However, after getting deeper into my education classes, I realized that teaching was not at all what I wanted to do! I realized that my true passion was and had always been history and that that is what would truly fulfill me, no matter what anyone else told me. Therefore, in late January 2010, I withdrew from my program and took on a dual major in history and communications, and I have never looked back since!

Someone who is looking for a very large school with larger classrooms should not attend UPJ. Also, someone who prefers to live in the city should not look at a school like UPJ. Any football athletes should not look at this school because it does not have a football team and more so focuses on basketball.

Mary

One class too large (psychology), the rest were excellent, with good access to instructors, clear directions on requirements and expectations for a class, beautiful setting.

College is nothing like high school, it is much better. College learning is stressful but it is also much more enjoyable than high school. It's a want to, not a have to, and you learn a lot more than you think that you would. It is actually something that you would enjoy experiencing. Look at what your role-playing as a child consisted of (being a nurse and being a teacher), which you did for hours at a time. That is obviously what interests you the most in terms of a career. Look at what goals you need to set in order to achieve these options and go for it. Don't be impatient, but take it one step at a time, and advance to the next level when you are ready.

Someone who is not willing to work for what they want.

Gabrielle

My school is an excellent learning environment located in a scenic area; the students attending this facility are diverse individuals dedicated to rigorous pursuit of learning.

For many reasons, even the act of valuing an education unfortunately remains an indulgence that many do not attain. I entered the school system in fourth grade, which is tremendously late compared to many students. As one would imagine catching up on years of foundational learning is no simple task. As a result, I developed a hunger and appreciation for education. Having the opportunity to attend college in itself is valuable to me and serves as a testament to my accomplishment in not merely catching up but pursuing a professional degree. College and education have taught me that nothing will come free or easy. The pride I feel and the advantage of working for every ounce of success that I receive has proved to be a valuable part of my college experience. While I realize that I am alone in the fulfillment of my own goals I have learned that building relationships and balancing stress relief are equally important in achieving ones goals. College, in only one semester, has surely begun to equip me with skills that will lead me everywhere I want to go.

The most frustrating thing about school is the added stress of coming up with tution and living expenses on top of balancing my assignments in a timely fashion. It is very hard being away from home and adjusting to "adult life". While I knew realistically that things would never be easy, I never realized how much things would add up on my to-do list. However, the key to dealing with frustration is working to solve the problems causing it. Therefore, I have become more organized and work through my holiday breaks full-time to accomplish my goals.

Mary

High school did not present a challenge for me. I easily passed classes just by showing up and taking tests. The word study did not even exist in my vocabulary. I believed college would be the same way and I would be able to pass just by showing up. However, the University of Pittsburgh Johnstown (UPJ) surpassed many of my expectations. Because I was not aware of how demanding classes were, I did not start off strong. If I had prior knowledge of how challenging the courses were, I may not have struggled as much as I did.

Before entering college, I had no conception of the words hard work. Most things were given to me or came easy. I never studied, yet was able to maintain my grades. My mother, being a single mother of four, drilled into me the importance of a college education because she struggled to provide for my siblings and me without one. She expressed that only through hard work and determination can someone succeed, yet my youthfulness made me ignorant and stubborn. I entered college with the same ideals I had in high school. Finally after years of stubbornness I learned you reap the fruits of you labor. I rarely studied and my grades began to plummet. It was not until I buckled down and exerted effort that my grades began to improve. College taught me the value of hard work because without it, one cannot succeed. Likewise without a college education, acquiring a career is almost impossible. Presently without highrt forms of education, even the simplest jobs will not hire. Furthermore, college provides interactions with people of different backgrounds and creates well-rounded individuals. It serves as a precursor for the real world and opens many doors not present without it.

Although the University of Pittsburgh Johnstowns (UPJ) size has its advantages, it also has disadvantages. Many view it as a lesser school because it is a branch Campus. Although UPJ is small, its size works as an advantage. Campuses with larger class sizes tend to be more impersonal and the pupil to teacher relationship is hard to form due to the overwhelming amount of students per lecture. UPJ not only offers rigorous and challenging courses, but provides the interaction many larger schools lack. However most people see branch campus and immediately condemn it.

University of Pittsburgh-Johnstown administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.