Pittsburgh, PA
University of Pittsburgh-Pittsburgh Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Pittsburgh-Pittsburgh Campus

Victor

One of the bigger issues with Pitt is the bureaucracy that is implemented by the Administration, its practically impossible to organize any on campus event without filling out pages and pages of paper work, and a part of this issue is Pitt Police .

Pitt has a very diverse community ranging from people of all ethnicities, religious groups, social groups, and beliefs. This makes the Pitt experience quite unique and filled with all kinds of opportunities.

Experience at Pitt was great. And Pitt has professors that are much better than what CMU has to offer, even in the technical departments.

Pitt is great with its focus on getting students ready for real life, be it continuing education and going into academia, or focusing on the industry and progressing towards a career. Most professors are ready to help out and discuss the opportunities and are willing to recommend job placement. Pitt student community also plays a large part in the school, there are multitude of clubs organized for students to take part in, and all the clubs are ready to inspire and assist students on any task. Furthermore, there is a honors college which challenges and provides exiting opportunities for students who are interested and willing to participate in real research.

Engineering department has a number of outstanding clubs including: IEEE, Robotics Club, Radio Club, and many others. All of these clubs are tightly associated with each other, and in many cases officers of one club are members of the others. This allows for easy synchronization of events and better organization. But if being a club member is not your thing there are many events going on that are not associated with any organization, but just a group of people who want to have fun. These events include Lazer Tag, Humans Vs. Zombies, etc.

One of the bigger stereotypes of Pitt is that its a big party school, and people know how to take charge and enjoy their time at Pitt.

Alex

Pitt is just right in size...it's large on paper (the actual number) but I guess by the campus being spread out, you tend to see everyone everyday, which gets quite annoying...how does that happen w/ a big campus?! Pitt tends to have a great reputation as far as companies go. It's gotten better since just being here in terms of popularity and rep. I spend most of my time in the Union. It's a true college town though..it's ghost town during Summer when students aren't here. Which isn't a bad thing. The administration is an interesting bunch. Working not too far removed, I hear quite a few stories and....they have a lot of ideas. Good or bad? We'll see. The biggest recent controversy I can remember is JuicyCampus coming to Pitt (on the site). A lot of students and staff were affected. There is not a lot of pride at all...it's being worked on. I don't know what's unusual about it really...I'll always remember my Pitt Start experience. It was very representative of what to expect once a real student. Most students just complain that things need to be open later around the campus and on campus (food places, etc). Pitt also severely overcharges on EVERYTHING.

Pitt is mostly full of rich, straight, spoiled White kids. You will find other types of students though and they are not afraid to admit they aren't the majority population named up there. Students don't really DRESS to go to class, it's relaxed. Different type of students interact if forced. Most students are from Pennsylvania. Those here don't receive much money from the school and are on loans or Mommy and Daddy pay. There's a mixture of political-affiliations.

Professors try to learn your name, even in larger lectures. I hate most classes in my major (Psy) and not much is available in my minor (Soc). I don't know how often students study...but a lot it gets overwhelming. You tend to not know those in your class outside of class...there's not much discussion that goes on, even if there is high participation--it's responding to the professor's questions. That's it. I've had no unique classroom experiences. The psych department is huge and most don't know you by name--you have to make yourself known. The professors teaching it that didn't go to Pitt even say it would be hard to survive the major at Pitt in great standing. It's based entirely on the premise that research is GOD. Pitt Undergrad preps you for Grad school perhaps, but definitely not "the real world." Academic requirements are better than A LOT of other schools, but the General Ed requirements for A&S are ridiculous..Philosophy? Seriousoly? Art/Music? Boo.

Greeks are big (not really the Black ones). Students in Dorms don't communicate beyond Freshman year unless in a learning community, and even in freshman year that's sometimes not true if you're not in Towers. Athletic events are somewhat popular. It depends on the speaker if that will be a hit. Theatre...not so much, unless it's required. Dating is a "no, no" for me. My closest friends are from student organizations I'm a part of. At 2am on a Tuesday I am probably doing work--you won't find anything to do on campus. There are a few fun traditions--Bigelow Bash, Arrival Survival, Laser Show, Comedy Show, Bonfire, etc. Frats and Sorors are lame. There are things to do that don't involve drinking on Saturday...they have non-alcoholic mini grant events. Most of the fun I have is off campus or in my room.

People think everyone at Pitt is doing research and that they either party a whole lot or have no time for it.

Sasha

The best thing about Pitt is how cheap everything in the city is. I would change the campus to make it a bit more secluded, so it can feel more like a campus while still being a part of the city. People don't have any distinct reaction to me going to Pitt. I spend most of my time on campus in classes or the computer labs in Sennott Square, David Lawrence, Posvar, and the Cathedral. Pitt is somewhat of a college town because there isn't really a lot going on for young people outside of the campuses in the city. Pitts administration is good. The biggest recent controversy I heard about is; the 'wetback wednesdays' sign outside some bar (I think Town Tavern), but then again things like that happen all the time in Pittsburgh, but usually don't get that much attention. Oh, and juicycampus.com, but I haven't been to the site, so I don't know whats so controversial. I think there is a lot of school pride, but I'm not really involved in things like that. I have a lot of experiences I will always remember, but I can't say any of them are a direct cause of Pitt. The most frequent student complaint (at least as a commuter) is safe rider. Oh, and the wait times at the computer labs can be pretty bad.

I have had interesting experiences with Pitt's student body. While there is diversity among the student body, it is extremely limited. Students from different backgrounds usually don't interact with one another. If there were four tables in a Pitt dining hall, the demographics of each table would probably look like this: International students at one table, Black students at another table, White students a table, and white liberal students (including LBGT students)at another. I think Hispanic students would feel out of place because Pitt is definitely lacking diversity in that area. Most Pitt students are from Pennsylvania, and some are from surrounding states on the east coast. I don't know the financial background of most Pitt students. The majority of Pitt students aren't politically aware/ active in any way.

Most of my professors know my name. My favorite class is any class where I can debate issues that are relevant to me. My least favorite class would be almost all my business classes. How often a student studies depends on the student. Class participation varies by the type of course and the professor. A select few of Pitt students have intellectual conversations outside of class, you just have to find them. Students on campus are extremely competitive. The most unique class I have taken is Philosophy of Religion. I have two majors which are Finance and Africana Studies. I love Africana Studies although the department could be a bit more organized. I don't like Finance, but CBA departments are very organized and efficient. I spend time with very few professors outside of class. Pitt's academic requirements are fine, they give you good general education and core classes, but still leave a lot of room to take other classes you may be interested in.

The most popular students groups/ organizations are athletic teams and fraternities/ sororities. Athletic events are very popular, but other events like guest speakers are popular as well. Theater is also really big in Pittsburgh. It is easy to meet people at Pitt, you just have to attend events and join organizations that your interested in. I met most of my friends freshman year, through some type of orientation event or an organization. At 2am on a tuesday night, I am sleeping. Some annual traditions are a PPC concert, a step show, battle of the bands, and probably a lot of other things I don't attend. People party as often as they want. Last weekend I was at home for Spring Break. Instead of drinking on a Saturday night, you can hang out with friends, go to a movie, attend an organization event.

Aimee

I like that Pitt has a lot to offer. Since it is in such an urban environment, there are a lot of opportunities in the arts and cultural events: on and off campus. It is a large school, but that means that are lots of networking opportunities and lots of people to meet. I spent most of my time at the library or the Cathedral of Learning. There is a decent amount of school pride. There is also a decent amount of student involvement in political and social issues, which is a positive thing.

There are a lot of groups on campus for different races (African Student Org, Asian Student Alliance, Black Action Society, Chinese Student Assoc, etc. etc.) But there are not necessarily a large number of minority students at Pitt. There are a number of organizations dealing with various social issues (refugees, AIDS, literacy, Darfur, hunger, etc. etc) I think that different types of students interact. Many Pitt students are from PA. I think that although much of the campus is apathetic, there is a strong political force. Most students seem to be liberal.

I am a Spanish and Linguistics major. My professors (in my majors) are always accessible and willing to help. Not always the case in bigger gen ed classes. I study a lot, and I think a lot of students do too. Class participation is pretty common. Pitt students have intellectual conversations out of class. In particular the students I know, who tend to be involved in campus activities. The most unique class I have taken is Quechua (an indigenous language of the Andean region). I spent time with my professors. I am the research assistant of one of them and working on an honors thesis with another one. My Spanish classes are mostly learning for its own sake, but linguistics classes are more geared towards real world application.

I'm involved with an organization focused on refugee advocacy and awareness promotion, and I am the president of an organization that tutors/mentors local Somali refugees on a regular basis. Athletic events (football and bball games) are popular, as are guest speakers. Students party a lot on the weekends.

Leah

Pitt is awesome. The school is big so there are opportunities to do anything, teach, do research, volunteer, be in any sort of club, study abroad. I can't think of something I'd change. Pitt is quite a large school, but I like it that way. Some people, especially those from around Pittsburgh don't think that going to Pitt is anything special. Others, particularly those who are in the medical field or the sciences, react very positively. I spend most of my time on campus in the library, the Cathedral of Learning or in Chevron (the Chemistry building). Pittsburgh is somewhat of a college town, there are tons of young people in the immediate area around Pitt as well as the surrounding neighborhoods. Pitt's administration is pretty good..some times there is some bureaucracy. I can't think of a controversy, some of our professors have been criticized for being too liberal or expressing their liberal biases. I have never experienced this though. Pitt students have school pride but its not obsessive. Its definitely there though, everyone has Pitt gear, gets excited for basketball etc. Something unusual...Pitt has a great deal of "green space" but at the same time is extremely urban. There are four lanes of traffic on Fifth Ave right sandwiched in between the huge Soldiers and Sailors Lawn and the even bigger Cathedral Lawn. They even converted a parking lot into a park! I'll remember..everything..probably the awesome times I had freshman year. People always find something to complain about, perhaps having a bad adviser or experience with scheduling.

All groups are represented. they might not be as intermixed as one would like. I think latino students might feel out of place, only because the latino popln at pitt and in Pittsburgh is pretty small. Students wear whatever..sweat pants, jeans, dress up...no body cares. Everyone interacts..ofcourse! Many students are from around Pittsburgh or Philly..and east coast. Students are quite politically aware and active..voting is a biggg gdeal on campus..and most are quite liberal. People don't talk about money as much as what sorts of jobs they hope to get.

Not at all. Pitt is an excellent school, particularly for the sciences, philosophy , but also for other humanities. Students are well rounded and quite involved. Further, Pitt is becoming more and more competitive, which each class improving in "stats".

All my professors know my name. Although some classes are very large and you will just be one in the crowd unless you work to get to know your profs. I love all my chem classes. Least favorite..this horrible Africana Studies class, loved the material, hated my prof. Students study alot, the library is always packed around exam time but people have a good balance. Class participation is common in smaller classes but not in lecture style classes. Intellectual convos are common about everything..science, philosophy... Students are not very competitive, I don't know anyone who is "cut-throat" or would do something to hurt someone elses chances of doing well. The most unique class I've taken is "Aesthetics and Science"..really interesting, brilliant HPS professor. I am a Chemistry major and an HPS (History and Philosophy of Science) major. The chem department has tons of opportunities for everything..teaching, research, volunteer work, student groups. Excellent advising, very friendly. HPS..not so much, brilliant faculty, but less acessible. I see professors outside of class during office hours occasionally or just in passing. The academic requirements are pretty rigorous, quite a few gen. eds...perhaps a few to many history/foreign culture. Pitt is def. geared towards learning for its own sake..its a liberal arts school.

Popular groups....Rainbow alliance is big. There are tons of human rights/activist /humanitarian groups. I am president of FORGE...a group dedicated to helping refugees locally and abroad..great group of passionate students, some of my best friends. Doors are always open..for at least 60% of rooms. Football and basketball are huge, more so for basketball. Guest speakers are also a big deal. Theater..not so much, within its "circle," though, very popular. Dating is great..ssoooo many people! I met my friends through living together, class, and student groups. At 2 am on Tuesday, if i'm awake, im studying. every year, there is a concert in the fall and one in the spring..for free with tons of other activities! there is homecoming, light up night, family weekend. If people party, they do so Thursday, friday or saturday..or maybe two of three days. Frats/sororities aren't a big deal, but some people really enjoy them. Last weekend, I went to the Strip district (fresh food, meat, produce) in the morning, did homework, watched a movie and went to a bar. Not involving drinking..tons of possibilities..so many coffee shops open late, movies, theater, comedy, open mic nights, friends houses, on campus stuff. Off campus..i do everything..coffee shops, go shopping, rent movies, go out to eat, go on picnics, go to parks.

I guess some people think that Pitt isn't that great of a school or that students aren't that intelligent.

Jen

Location is the best thing about Pitt, there's so much to do. Pitt is a good size. Definitely "what college town?" I hate the safe rider/bus system. The drivers are all really rude and always late. Pitt has a lot of school pride for sports but other than that I'm not sure I see it. I hate the meal plan system. It is absolutely awful.

Most Pitt students are from either Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. Pitt students are definitely politically aware/active, predominantly liberal. Most students just wear regular clothes to class, i.e. jeans and a tshirt. Of course different types of students interact.

Not at all. I'm going to be in debt for the rest of my life.

I don't like that Pitt doesn't allow you to get dual degrees unless you take 30 extra credits. I don't like that Pitt doesn't offer a Spanish minor or a Psychology minor. I would say that students study every day for at least 1-2 hours. Class participation is very common. Cross-cultural communication is the most unique class I've taken. I don't spend time with professors outside of class unless I need help.

Fraternity/sorority life has the most members percentage-wise on campus. SGB is pretty popular too, which is composed most of greeks. Athletic events and guest speakers are very popular on our campus. Every Pitt student has been to at least one of each. Students always leave their doors open. MOst people are very friendly. The dating scene at Pitt is pretty good as far as I'm concerned. There are a lot of inexpensive and creative ways to hang out.

Pitt students are all rich upper-middle class students who can afford anything.

Alex

Pitt's administration can be a complete pain in the ass. The Financial Aid dept doens't have a clue and looses everything. They're really good at giving you late fees for no reason and then when they realize it's their faul, which they always do, it takes six months to get your money back. They're particularly bad at handling government grants. The biggest complaint that I'm aware of from anyone who isn't an engineer, med, business or pharmacy student is that Career Services doens't do anything at all. I've been there several times seeking help and they just revise your resume over and over and over and don't actually do anything to help you find a job. Bottom line: if you are an arts and sciences student at Pitt, expect to make your own way into the job market, because the university doesnt' care about you once you stop paying tuition. I find myself spending most of my time on campus in the student union. It's a comfortable place that is conveniently in the middle of everything. I've also been the president of a student organization for a while and all student organizations operate out of the union so that might influence me. My greatest memories at Pitt are of walking around with a big group of friends late at night from place to place with no particular destination or time frame to worry about. Pittsburgh is a really nice place to make recreation out of long walks. I've never felt like Pitt was much of a party obsessed campus so there are a lot of really fulfilling and different things to do as long as you're creative. The entirety of the city of Pittsburgh is a college town. There are something like 8 schools downtown, so everything is really college friendly if not directly geared to college students. School pride at Pitt doesn't really ezist, not like Penn State or Ohio State or UVa or Rutgers. No body really cares too much about sports or anything enough to make a big deal or expend any extra effort.

I always thought Pitt was a really diverse collection of people who, as far as I know, get along really really well together. I've never felt like race was a big issue at all. I also think that most Pitt students have a generally good fashion sense. My girlfriend who goes to UVa has commented that Pitt is collectively well dressed compared to UVa and the College of Charleston where the used to attend. I don't think anyone would feel out of place at Pitt except maybe republicans. There are a small number of republicans at Pitt but overall it's a disgustingly liberal place, and I say that as a liberal. Pittsburgh has always been a very liberal city as well. Students at Pitt are very politically conscious and active and we like to talk about politics a lot. Not just the PoliSci majors etiher. I like to think that most Pitt students aren't super wealthy so the campus and the student body has a really down to earth, slightly egalitarian, blue collar feel to it.

I don't think we're mediocre at all. Pitt has some really cool stuff going on academically, and the resources we have as students are unbelievable. It's big enough that it attracts some real quality faculty and as long as you make an effort to build relationships with them, whcih most people don't do, you have complete access to their knowledge and experiences. One great opportunity here at Pitt is to work personally with a faculty member on an independent study.

Professors will know your name and will be willing to work with you and help you as long as you make an effort, go to their office hours, send them an email from time to time, and just generally let them know you actually care about their class. Class participation isn't super common, so if you participate it will definitely set you apart and often influence your grade and a professor's willingness to cut you a break. I would venture a guess that Pitt students study more than the average college student, but not too much. We always save time for having fun and what college student is a huge procrastinator anyway. Students only really seem to have three modes. Either you're a slacker, or you're competitive, or you're ridiculously, unnecessarily competitive. Every program has it's share of people who are so competitive that it pisses everyone off, even their professors. Arts and Sciences, particularly PoliSci and History, seem to have a lot of these people. I'm a PoliSci and Russian major and both are really great departments. We definitely end up spending a good amount of time outside of class with our profs in the Russian Dept and to a lesser degree the PoliSci dept. I've always felt that at Pitt the general education requirements are meant to be more difficult than the courses in one's major, at least that's the way it's been for me. I think the education at Pitt, as cliche as it sounds, is really what you make of it. It's such a big place with so many different opportunities that you have a lot of freedom to pave your own way. If you're dead set on being job ready, then there's a way to do that here, and if you just want to expand your horizons, you can do that too. I've been pretty successful at doing both. I'm really happy with my education from Pitt. I feel well prepared for grad school and a career after that.

I always though that Pitt and Pitt students weren't really well thought of in the academic world, but I've found that Pitt has a really decent reputation, especially internationally. I practically got into grad school based on Pitt's name alone, or at least I think. I don't know of any real stereotypes of Pitt. I've always thought we were mediocre if they though of Pitt at all.

Rob

The best thing about Pitt is its access to the city. Its not too far removed from the city and we're provided free bus passes. If I could change one thing it'd be the registration process, I would make it possible to do everything online. Undergrad advising is garbage. I'll always remember 13-9, the Ramon buzzer beater to beat WV by one, beating #6 Georgetown, super bowl 40 and walking around campus in the spring.

It's a big enough school that every class and race etc is represented although it does seem predominately white. I think students coming from other countries might feel the most out of place. Most kids wear regular clothes, jeans and a tee shirt or sweat pants and a hoodie.. the usual. Four tables at the dining hall would have a couple people having lunch who would leave promptly after eating.. no one chills at those places. Students are for the most part politically aware on both sides, smaller subsets take an active role in the community.

For the most part but kids are going to party at EVERY college.

Some professors, mostly in your major, will learn you name and can offer help and guidance. Rob Ruck's U.S. since 1945, very interesting class taught by my favorite Professor.

Its an urban campus so there are all kinds of things to do on and off campus every day. Kids normally go out with their friends on the weekends, be it to a party in south Oakland or at a friends house, or the waterfront or southside works for a movie or shopping or dinner or whatever you could think of. Greek life at Pitt is a pretty big deal, we do all kinds of events from food and blood drives (not together thats gross), to comedians and talent shows, fundraisers etc.

Party school, cultured, better than Penn State

Jenna

The best thing about Pitt? There isn't just one thing... I love the fact that it is small enough to intimately get to know many of the students and staff, but big enough to be able to avoid seeing that guy you hooked up with last weekend. I also love that it is so closely located to so many great things: other schools (CMU is not even a mile away from my apartment), great museums, good places to shop...and it is also close enough to Ohio and Maryland so that you can take roadtrips to visit your friends at other schools very easily. I spend most of my time in the library, or in the sorority suite when I am on campus. People don't always react well well I tell them I go to Pitt, but I really don't care because in the end of the day I am the one who goes here (and loves it). Pitt is a perfect mixture of a college town and a city environment. There is a campus, yet you still feel like you are in an urban environment. There is plenty of school pride.

I have had mostly good experiences with racial and religious affiliations on campus. There is honestly NO student who would feel out of place here. I can see anyone fitting in here, there is honestly a niche for every single incoming student.

Most of professors know my name, but that is mostly because I always try to get to know them. I have had a few bad professors, but they are at every school. Most students, or the ones I know, spend a lot of their time studying, personally I study about 3-4 hours a day outside of class. Class participation is common in most classes, sometimes it is intimidating though to speak up in a class of 200 people. I am a psychology major, which I have found to be so fun and interesting.

There isnt a "most" popular organization on campus...Greek life is relatively big. I am greek and I love it. Everyone that goes greek that I know is happy that they have done so. Athletic events are popular, especially basketball. There are tons of guest speakers, they just brought Jerry Springer in and had a great turn out. There are so many students here so it ranges as to how much people party. I know people who go out almost every night of the week, and I know some who never go out. You can always find a friend to go out with you, and you can always find someone who wants to stay in. People go to movies, plays, sporting events....you name it, its here. Off campus there are tons of places to go, especially in downtown pittsburgh. I just went to the Andy Warhol museum last weekend with some friends.

Whenever I tell someone from home that I chose U Pitt, they always look really surprised, as if I have chosen to live in garbage dump or something. People stereotype the city of pittsburgh to be dirty and gross, when in reality its one of the most beautiful cities I have been to. Pitt is usually stereotyped to be a bunch of local pittsburghers, but it really isnt, there are people from all over the country here.

University of Pittsburgh-Pittsburgh Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.