Pittsburgh, PA
University of Pittsburgh-Pittsburgh Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Pittsburgh-Pittsburgh Campus

Chrissy

Well I go to a branch campus of Pitt which I feel is really helpful to the type of student that I am. I know at our campus there is a lot more hands on with teachers and almost all of the time your teachers are always there to help you. I think that when I tell people I go to Pitt they look at me with high standards, meaning like it's a very good school to attend so the person I am speaking to is impressed by what they hear. I don't really hear many student complaints which I think is tremendous. As far as school pride goes that is one thing I am very proud of. Even being on a branch campus I still feel so involved with all the major Pitt activities.

I do not see any problems on my campus with any of our student body. I honestly feel so comfortable on my campus with anyone.

I truly love the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown and would recommend it to just about anyone!

My professors thus far are so wonderful. They have all helped me in their own way more than I would have ever expected in college. My favorite subjects are those that deal with my major which is psychology. There is a lot of help offered to us all outside of the classroom which I use quite frequently. I feel with all the knowledge I am entitled to knowing at Pitt, I will be able to get the job I desire after school.

I would say at our Johnstown campus the most popular activities are athletics. Although, our frats and sororities are very big and very involved with our campus as well. There are a lot of restaurants and things to go to around campus that are really fun so you can enjoy to get away with friends.

I'm not really sure I have actually heard any stereotypes that pertain to Pitt students. Pitt is probably one of the fewer school's that actually aren't frowned upon (to my knowledge) in the state of Pennsylvania.

Alex

Pitt is great, because it is in a fun part of town. There are things to do at all hours of the night for the most part (food, parties, etc.) It is a big school, but once you get involved in things and make friends the campus doesn't seem that big anymore. I see people I know all the time! While Pitt is a great school and a safe campus, it is still a city, and living off campus isn't exactly safe. But the off campus living is generally highly populated with students and is pretty safe during the daytime. I've only known one person that came to pitt and didn't like it - so people are pretty satisfied with it. And the food is actually really good! Most of my college friends complain that the food on their campus is poisoned or something it's so bad, but the main food place on campus is better than the food I get at home. Pitt is all around a great school and I love it so much. I would recommend it to everyone.

The Sig Ep fraternity drugs girls. Pitt cops are great when you have a problem. It rains a lot. Pitt's airport is really nice. When the weather is nice, there are 2 places to go and hang out and play in the grass or hang with friends if you want to!

I don't think Pitt can be wrapped up into a nutshell kind of statement. There are lots of different people, from all walks of life. If there are any stereotypes, they aren't accurate.

Pitt is a big school, but if you communicate with your professors on a regular basis, they will know your name (which can be very helpful later on). Not all of the classes at Pitt are over 100 either. Spring of my sophomore year all of my classes were gen eds and they had 30 or less in all of them. Students study pretty much all through finals week, and it's pretty scattered during the week. There are quiet hours at night time, but depending on which residence hall you live in, it's unlikely to be quiet no matter what time. I got lucky freshman year but some people don't. it depends on the RA and whether they tolerate that kind of thing. Pitt students are very diverse too so you are pretty much guaranteed to find anything and everything on campus and off. The education at Pitt is geared towards learning for its own sake. Pitt strives to develop its students into educated adults that are successful in the real world, not simply getting a good job, which is also good.

Pitt doesn't really emphasize sororoties and fraternities terribly much but they are definitely there if you are interested. if you want to go out on a weekend and not drink i recommend going to eat n park (like denny's) or going to squirrel hill and seeing a movie. there's a movie down at the waterfront too which is amazing and reasonably priced for what it offers.

jennifer

In so far as the atmosphere of Pitt, the 'big picture', the feeling one gets from walking around campus, it is full of pride. I love the campus, because I like the urban setting, and I LOVE the fact that I am not in a 'college town' that there is a whole city, plenty of things other than just school going on everywhere around me. READ: Oakland is NOT New York City. It is a decently sized city, with lots of things to do, but it is not New York City. I've actually heard complaints that Pittsburgh is too small, or there's nothing to do. They usually come from people from New York or Philadelphia, meaning, they haven't taken the time to look around. There is a thriving arts scene. Whatever your tastes in music, art, food, name it, you can find it. But it won't be thrown in your face. Yes, you will have to explore. Exploring is easy too. Until I tried to get around other cities without a car, I never realized what a truly wonderful public transit system Pittsburgh has. And it's FREE. A student ID from Pitt= FREE buses. They really pushed that when I came on a tour when I was looking at schools. It didn't seem important at the time. IT IS HUGE. You cannot afford to park a car here. I don't care how rich you are, a car is a waste of money here. With the public transit system here, you do not need a car. The city life is wonderful, the whole urban ambiance, makes the Pitt experience so much more rich.

Pittsburgh is a liberal city. Pitt is a liberal school. There are numerous student organizations on this campus representing that fact. Any group one can think of, probably has a club at Pitt, and if it doesn't, it can easily form one.

In part. The CMU stereotype is funny, it sometimes makes students here feel inadequate, especially since they are easily able to see some of the extra perks student at CMU receive that those at Pitt do not...however, they are plenty of brilliant students here, who would rather not pay at least double the tuition...some could make the same argument for the branch campuses, that the students there simply want to save their money...and I cannot speak for a majority...however, from what I've seen of the students who have matriculate from those branch campuses, it appears that they were there because they were in no way academically prepared for the main campus, and oftentimes, still aren't after coming to the main campus.

Pitt is a large school. Enormous even. That being said, yes, there are going to be some lectures with 200+ students in them; some people cannot learn without one-on-one attention, without someone holding their hand....this isn't high school. Personally, I don't find it bothersome. I think it encourages people to take more challenging courses; the only classes with that many students are usually lower-level, introductory classes....upper levels, at least in my majors (political science and history) tend to have 35 or less students, and in that setting the professors usually get to know everyone's names, encourage participation and class discussions are common. The academic departments themselves are nationally recognized, enormous resources are available to students, and the professors are top-notch.

I would like to minimize the so-called "Greek" impact on Pitt's campus, since it is one of the few aspects of Pitt of which I am ashamed, but almost 20% of the student population is involved in some Greek organization. Many of these are academic in nature, and perfectly respectable. However, there are around 20 or so more "traditional" fraternities and sororities which many people join. Not that all Greek organizations are bad, but some are, luckily, if you aren't so big on the loud music, sexual assault, underage drinking scene, there are plenty of things to do, because as I've said, Pittsburgh is a great city, and relatively safe, as cities of its size go. There are lots of cool places to go on dates, lots of great food, especially after 11pm, when many of the Oakland restaurants offer their food for half price.

Since Carnegie Mellon University is so near, there is a tendency to think that students at Pitt are dumb, because they are at Pitt instead of CMU...there is a similar tendency to think that since none of the branch campuses are far away, the only reason a student would go to them is that s/he could not get into the main campus.

Julia

The best thing about Pitt is that it is in the city. You are not confined to just those in your school but yet it is easy to be around them. There are different areas of the city to go to if dirty Oakland isn't your vibe for the night. Also, although South Oakland is dirty and maybe alittle scary, there are amazing little stores and restaurants that people do not find out about until they move into South Oakland. Some good places to check out are the Indian place on S. Bouquet and the little Italian market on Bates Semple.

I don't know if any student would feel out of place at Pitt. I think that if you are willing to go out and interact with people then you can find a niche for yourself. Alot of people however feel freshmen year that fun activities should just come knocking at their door. They dont, and it took me till the end of sophomore year to really seek out what I wanted to be involved in and to just do it. Something that bothers me about Pitt is that students generally do stick with their race, religion and or sexual preference. While there are many exceptions, groups walking around on campus are primarily of the same race. I thought with a city school thing would be more integrated but this isn't necessarily the case.

Most of my professors have no idea who I am. I'm a psych major and all of my classes are pretty big. However, I have noticed that when the initiative is taken to get to know the teachers most are very receptive and very nice. The psychology advising department is amazing. They are so willing to help and so incredibly responsive. I also have to say that for the sociology department which counted many of my classes while i was abroad that really shouldnt have been counted. Class participation is not common in big classes. In fact, dont raise your hand at all in big classes, no one appreciates it.

Freshmen year in towers is where I met all my closest friends to this day. I think it can be generally said that the people that you live with and around freshmen year, are going to be the people that you will spend your college years with. It's hard to live on a floor with 40 other people (especially girls) but you learn to live with each other and you learn who and who you cannot get along with. People generally go out every weekend, but much more freshmen year. It's ok, just do it cause its the easiest year of your life. While it's tempting to go out with 16 of your new closest friends, please dont all leave at one time. You look foolish hahah. Go to the frats but not too often, stick to South Oakland house parties. But also please go to plays and concerts that are around the city. I always complained felt that there wasnt anything to do but go to parties on the weekend freshmen year but then sophomore year i realized that i just wasnt looking.

Some say that Pitt is a party school...it is.

Ryan

City of Pittsburgh: The city of Pittsburgh is certainly one of the more underrated cities which gets a bad rap as an old dirty steel city. That has changed drastically in the last 20 years and Pittsburgh is now a medical, financial and business center with the 5th most Fortune 500 companies in the USA. Pitt is wonderful because it is located in the city and you can acquire connections to extremely top-class corporations that all recruit here (PNC Bank, PPG, US Steel, Bayer, Dicks Sporting Goods, ect.) It is a wonderful school if you are a business/finance major. School Size: About 16,000 but the business undergrad school is probably around 1,500 so you get to meet many people of your own major within the larger school. Reputation: Pitt for the last decade has been drastically climbing in the school rankings and is now a Top 25 public university and Top 60 overall University. It is closely approaching schools like Michigan and Indiana, and by international rankings Pitt is Top 50 in the world and getting better every year. Admission has therefore been getting more selective on a yearly basis. Athletics: A big attraction is that Pitt Basketball and Football are good year in and out. The school is more of a Basketball school and the Oakland Zoo (student section) is full almost every game since Pitt is a perennial Top 25 team. The Football team has seen some tough times lately even though we have had some great talent and the students are much more fair-weather-fans. Tailgating is always fun though!

Everything about Pitt's student body is very middle of the road. Pittsburgh is not an extremely diverse city so the student body is largely white middle class. I have never seen any problems because the majority of the students are left leaning/central and are accepting of anyone no matter where they are from.

Pitt is has a great reputation academically and is getting better every year. If I had to do it all over again I would certainly come back. Here is certainly the most accurate college advice I have heard: CHOOSING A MAJOR: If you want to get a good job, make good money, and not work too hard in college, major in business. If you want to make a ton of money and are willing to work your butt off in college, study engineering, law, or medicine (but not nursing). If you want to love what you do and coast through college, (but always be on the hunt for a job after graduating, while having to work your butt off just to make ends meet): study writing, journalism, religion, fine art, theater, or broadcasting. This is also an excellent road to travel if you eventually want to become a sad, broken down college professor some day. If you're just in it for the tail and want to meet lots of hot babes, study nutrition, fitness, or broadcast journalism. You won't make a ton of money, but you'll always work with a lot of women with hot bodies in the industry.

Yes, most students I have met are of a high caliber intellectually even though there are a few that that you have to wonder how the hell they got into this school.

The Finance department has an amazing group of professors all of which I enjoyed. Many have spent years researching and have published well known papers in the Journal of Finance mostly regarding Financial Theory. The Finance curriculum is challenging and is on par with Accounting for difficulty. For business majors, accounting and finance students largely are dedicated to their academics and therefore find excellent jobs post graduation. Marketing and General Management majors have less attractive but much easier degrees and many of them slack off/don't go to class/don't study. The education is more geared towards a great overall education, but Leadership Development helps with getting a job. You will do team work and see everything that you would have to know in order to get a top entry level position.

South and North Oakland is the part of Pittsburgh where the vast majority of off campus students live (The U of Pitt is in between S & N Oakland). North Oakland is home to many frat houses and south oakland is mostly houses/apartments. It is approximately a 5-10 minute walk from the majority of apartments to campus. Freshman and Sophomore year most students venture out to Frat and House parties. Junior year is when most students move off campus and start throwing parties and Senior year everyone is 21 and goes to bars. Bars: Oakland is home to around 10 bars some of which are more popular than others. The South Side, Shadyside, and Station Square are the other areas Pitt students frequent and they are all within 4-5 miles of Oakland ($10 cab ride). Those areas have more older post-college professionals while Oakland is almost exclusively college students.

The opinion of the other city colleges of Pitt students is that of (mostly) highly intelligent students who enjoy the social aspect of college more than for example, Carnegie Mellon students.

Lorie

I think Pitt is a good size - it's big enough to avoid people you don't want to see but still small enough to actually meet people. I love the campus because it's basically interspersed with all of the other Oakland buildings, but that is definitely a particular taste. It's not a secluded, collegiate area like CMU or some other private schools. I spend most of my time in the Cathedral because that's where all my classes are, and it's also where I do most of my homework and writing. The only complaint I have is that the extracurricular clubs, etc. tend to be really cliquey.

I don't think anyone could feel out of place at Pitt. There are so many students that you're bound to find at least SOMEone you get along with. Many clubs and groups promote diversity and there are clubs for many ethnic, religious, political, and other backgrounds. The majority of students are left-winged and open-minded. This isn't to say that stupid bros won't use the word "fag" or "bitch" whenever they can throw it into a sentence, however. The Greek scene is kind of obnoxious if that's not your thing, but it's easy enough to avoid with so many other people on campus.

Your classes will be what you make of them. You can choose to take huge lecture classes that you can skip all the time and never really learn anything, or you can take small, intimate classes with only a few other students. In my experience professors are very willing to help students in and outside of class. I've only had two or three profs that I didn't like. Class participation is always encouraged, even in lecture classes. Study time is really up to the individual, although my bio major friends tend to always be stuck studying. The English department is full of amazing professors who really care about their students. The literature major is one of the largest credits-wise, but most of the classes are great. My favorite professors have been David Brumble, Jim Seitz, and Kellie Robertson. The only thing that is terrible about the English department are the advisers - Fiore is a horrible human being and has made me cry.

Pitt's social life is however you want it to be - it can be easy to get lost in the crowd, but with all those people it's also easy to make tons of friends. Most people live in the dorms their first year or two. I met many of my current friends on my floor freshman year. The rest of my friends I've met at parties and through other people. The party scene isn't quite as bad as schools like Ohio State, but there isn't really much else to do on a Friday or Saturday night if you're not 21. You could get half-price food (a lot of the restaurants in Oakland serve a half-price menu late night) or maybe find a show or something, but I've always had the impression that most people are at parties on a Friday or Saturday night. Some popular groups on campus are WPTS (student radio), Habitat for Humanity, STAND (about taking action for Darfur), several literary magazines, sports teams, frats/sororities, and tons of volunteering opportunities. Use your student ID for free bus rides! You can get anywhere in the city and Pittsburgh has a lot to offer outside of Oakland.

That compared to Carnegie Mellon we're all dumb.

Reese

Pitt is a great school, there is always something going on, from sports (pitt bball and football, steelers, pirates, penguins), clubs, city and school events, to parties. Best thing is Sundays during the fall, the city is alive with excitement about the stillers, their results has a profound impact on the city...

The student body at pitt is very diverse, as with many large schools there are some of everyone and everything.

Hail to Pitt...717 fo life...f state penn...

No, Oakland is hardly a city...yet it is always active. No, it is only about 3.5 hours nonstop from lancaster.

Basiaclly all of these questions depend on yourself and your teachers...help is always available to those who seek it and your relationships with your teachers will depend on if you want one to exist or not. The engineering department is geared towards job placement but also focuses heavily on learning.

Social life is good...plently of nondrinking activities...its what you want to make of it...

It is a city campus. It is too far away from home (Central and Eastern PA kids).

Pat

This school is a good mix of people from different cultures and backgrounds. You learn a lot and it's a great opportunity to step out of your own comfort zone. There are many good chances to do some really cool things (study abroad, join a club, etc.) if you put in the effort. Oakland caters to students very well. I do a lot of lifting, wrestling and grappling. I have a pretty close group of friends. There is a lot or pride come basketball season. I think Pitt's administration needs a lesson on how to connect to students. Overall, no one is going to do it for you, it takes YOU buckling down and getting it done.

Pitt is a melting pot. If you give people a chance, you will learn a great deal about a lot of different people. It really helps you to expand your horizons and grow as a person.

In my major of engineering, and further, civil engineering, you form a brotherhood with your peers. I have a lot of pride in my major because we have all gone through the insanely intense courses. There is no room for laziness if you want to succeed. Being a research school, I would change the fact that Pitt focuses a lot on theory and not enough on practical applications. I'm not a researcher nor do I ever plan to be. I hate theory and I hate bookwork. However, I LOVE applying what I know to the real world. I would suggest that Pitt needs more avenues to let students APPLY what they know and not just write it on a piece of paper.

It's all what you make of it. Be friendly and you will have friends, simple enough.

The frat boys are lame. research professors could care less about students. there is ALWAYS stuff to do in Oakland/Pittsburgh. if you get too drunk and lost, just look up to the horizon and follow the Cathedral of Learning, i.e. the "Drunken Compass." Living is South Oakland sucks, the houses there are straight up broke.

I love Pitt because it's in the city. It always seems like the possibilities are endless if you find yourself with some spare time. It kinda sucks having security guards when you live in the dorms because they make you feel like you're a baby and often times they are more rude than nice. My favorite place to be is at the museums or at Phipps Conservatory. Both are quick walks from campus. There is a lot of Pitt Pride but if you're like me and think people are a little too crazy about sports, they are easy to avoid and it's always nice when almost everyone is at a basketball or football game because it feels like you have the entire campus to yourself.

I think Pitt is pretty diverse, there's always room for improvement but I don't think any single group would feel left out. There are student groups for just about all wants and needs that a student may have. Most students wear exactly what they would wear to high school to class. Ironically enough it really seems like most Pitt Students are from Philly. I wasn't expecting this at all. I come from 30ish miles North of Pittsburgh and it's rare that you find someone that lives that close to Pitt. It seems like most people are from a more "well off" financial background which can be intimidating for me because I'm not. Students are politically aware and it's annoying. It seems like they are quick to jump on the band wagon without much thought. There is a huge Pitt Republican group and a huge Pitt Democrat group. That's about it, which is pretty sad. I never really hear people talk about how much they earn, they usually talk about how wasted they got the night before.

Pitt's fun but you should really know yourself before you go or you're just going to end up being a big partier. If that's what you're looking for though party on.

Pretty much so, occasionally you'll find a cool person.

Most professors don't know your name, a lot do though. How much you study depends on your major. I study ALL THE TIME. If you're thinking about majoring in the sciences at Pitt, be prepared to constantly study to make it on top. Most Pitt students are not intellectual at all. This is probably my biggest complaint about the people that go to Pitt. It's very hard to find intellectually stimulating people and extremely easy to find a party. My major is Ecology and Evolution and I really like it. It's almost exactly the biology major but on a more macroscopic level. This summer I'm going to the Pymatuning Laboratory of Ecology to take my ecology class and I'm extremely excited about it. The academic requirements are very much "doable" here. I went to Pitt because I knew that with a Pitt degree I would be more likely to get a job.

I'm in Free the Planet, which is Pitt's environmental group. I really like it. We take on projects such as recycling at Pitt and creating bike lanes in the city. We've had a little success but it's hard to work around everything that's already set up at Pitt. Most people in dorms do not leave their doors open. Especially in Tower C, it's like completely devoid of a social scene (especially on the girl floors). Athletic Events are extremely popular. Guest Speakers can be popular depending on who it is. Spring term Jerry Springer came and that was a very popular guest speaker event. I think most theater productions at Pitt are not very popular but I really enjoy going to them. The dating scene is pretty cool. I met my boyfriend at a club and we've been together for a year and a half now. If you want to party everyday of the week, you can. If you hate partying, you're not going to be very happy at Pitt. There are plenty of things you can do if you don't drink. There are tons of places around Pittsburgh such as coffee shops, stores, and restaurants. Also, almost every weekend in the dorms the RAs will organize a non-alcoholic event. Those usually don't have a very high attendance though.

Idiotic frat boys and sorostitutes.

I love the University of Pittsburgh. I transferred here my sophomore year from a very small, Catholic college in Erie, PA. What I found most attractive was the size of the campus and the amount of things to do. Not only does Pitt offer you a wide variety of extracurriculars and student activities, but Oakland is full of things to do, as well as the surrounding neighborhoods like the South Side, Squirrel Hill, and Downtown. When transferring I was nervous and anxious, but the administration really made my transition a smooth one. All of my credits transferred and my adviser was very friendly and made herself available to me for questions, even outside of registering/transferring my courses. Pitt offers students a good atmosphere, which is why I think students have such great pride in the school.

I think Pitt has an extremely varied student body. You can find students of every race, religion, sexuality, and socioeconomic status. I've met some really interesting people and i've learned a lot from them about race, religion, politics etc. that I could never learn in the classroom setting. I don't think any student could ever feel out of place at Pitt, because there is such a mix of people, no one is the "outcast". The student body is pretty laid back, the uniform is anything from pajamas to business casual in class and there aren't any "cliques" who don't really converse. Sure there is drama between Greek societies, but you'll have that everywhere. Pitt students come from all over, but there are a lot of students from PA, mainly Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, but those who aren't from PA fit in just as well.

I absolutely love the University of Pittsburgh. Transferring was the best decisions I could have ever made for my academic career. The university has allowed me to meet tons of interesting people and I really do believe that my education is worthwhile.

These stereotypes are not completely accurate. Yes, we have a lot of students who participate in sports, and I'm sure there are students who went to Pitt after being turned down by their first choice school. However, there are plenty of students attending Pitt for the academics and atmosphere. Pitt is full of a wide variety of students, I don't think this University could ever fit a certain type of mold.

When taking into consideration the number of students that go to the University of Pittsburgh, I was sure all of my classes were going to be huge. However, I was mistaken. I have had more classes that hold 30 students than anything, and only 3 classes with more than 100 students. I always make an attempt, regardless of the class size, to let the teacher know my name- and they usually remember. My favorite experience so far was my first semester at Pitt. I took Biology for non-majors and it was a huge class. However, the professor came in and shook everyone's hand and introduced us. He knew we weren't majoring in biology so he even made a course packet so we wouldn't have to purchase an expensive text. It was a nice first class to have when I was so anxious about school starting. I've taken several unique courses like Vampire: Blood and Empire and Indo-European Folk Tales. The variety of courses is another thing I love about Pitt. Yes, they require that annoying core of classes required, however, there are tons of unique classes you can take to fulfill the requirements. It makes getting your degree more fun, and when you take an odd-ball class is can lighten your academic load, which is always nice. It creates a nice balance between education needed for the workforce and education just for learnings sake. The only complaint I have, being a communication major, is that a lot of my professors have been adjunct, which means teaching was their night job. Therefore, they weren't really available outside of class. Its frustrating to have someone teaching you who doesn't want to be teaching. However, I think my academic experience thus far has been pretty good. I've had interesting professors who are good to talk to in and out of class and some interesting classmates who I've had great academic discussions with in and out of the classroom.

There are lots of popular groups on campus. Some of the most popular are Greek Life and the activities committees. I'm involved with WPTS which is Pitt's radio station. It is a small group, but everyone gets along really well. Joining the radio station was a great way for me to meet people when I started at Pitt. Some of the most popular events at Pitt are of course the sporting events, concerts, and the spring and fall fests. Guest speakers also get alot of student attention, especially political figures. Homecoming is always a blast too. There are a lot of parties at Pitt. On any given day there are tons of parties going on. All you have to do is walk through Oakland and look at which apartments have kids hanging around, and you can find yourself a great house party. I'm not big on hard-core partying, but I still have fun on the weekends. There are concerts and plays to see, shopping, museums, etc. And it is still fun to go to parties and not get trashed. There's something for everyone to enjoy as far as social life goes.

A lot of people believe that Pitt is full of either athletes or people who couldn't make it into Carnegie Mellon.

University of Pittsburgh-Pittsburgh Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.