University of Pittsburgh-Pittsburgh Campus

« See more reviews of University of Pittsburgh-Pittsburgh Campus

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

We really don't have a set identity. It's not a "party school" like WVU, or purely a "basketball school" like UNC; it's Pitt. However, if I were to generalize, most of the students on campus are white, liberal, middle-class Pennsylvanians. But that's not everyone. I've seen tons of varieties of students and teachers here; as previously stated, there's no overarching stereotype.

Pitt historically has not been the hardest school to get into. It also tends to be less competitive than its neighbor, Carnegie Mellon. I think, because of that, Pitt students are stereotyped as being dumb, or not as smart as students at several other surrounding schools.

The opinion of the other city colleges of Pitt students is that of (mostly) highly intelligent students who enjoy the social aspect of college more than for example, Carnegie Mellon students.

As a student within the University I am not aware of the stereotypes placed upon us. However, I have heard the Carnegie Mellon girls think that Pitt girls are mildly retarded.

One of the bigger stereotypes of Pitt is that its a big party school, and people know how to take charge and enjoy their time at Pitt.

A lot of people believe that Pitt is full of either athletes or people who couldn't make it into Carnegie Mellon.

People think everyone at Pitt is doing research and that they either party a whole lot or have no time for it.

That we aren't as smart as our CMU counterparts and that we are better partiers than our Duquesne neighbors.

It is a city campus. It is too far away from home (Central and Eastern PA kids).

We work and study hard, party harder, and are extremely resourceful.