University of Pittsburgh-Pittsburgh Campus

« See more reviews of University of Pittsburgh-Pittsburgh Campus

Being that this university is located right in the middle of a city, a person who doesn't like many people or an urban setting should not attend here. Oakland is always bustling with people, busses, and cars. Additionally, if you're a person looking for small classes with extra special attention, the University of Pittsburgh is not for you. I had a few lectures with 200-400 people. They had recitations which gave an opportunity for discussions. So I should say, if you're a person who wants to ask their questions right then and there, forget about it.

People who should not attend this school are those most comfortable with really small classes, those who are artsy, and those who want more than the status quo academically. Pitt is, besides Penn State, your best choice for a state school in PA. However, as a student who lived in the freshman honors dorm, I know there were a number of students disappointed with the overall quality. You can certainly make it work here, and many do to get the bargain, but if you want the classic liberal arts education, this is not where you'll find it.

For those who like to indulge themselves solely into their studies and not make time to better round their experiances and skills, pitt would be bad choice. Usually students who thrive amongst others and involve themselves in a lot of extracurricular activities do well, while the opposite type end up dropping out or transfering. There are an overwhelming ammount of activities at Pitt, which would be easy to get lost and distracted by, so a good ammount of focus and time management is required to succeed.

Univeristy of Pittsburgh is a busy place. I like that there is so much to do here. If you are someone who doesn't like busy streets and lots of people then Pitt may not be the place for you. There are a ton of museums, places to shop and eat right here on campus but unfortunately there isnt alot of green space. If you like the outdoors and being surrounded by grass and trees, Pitt is the opposite. Its concrete sidewalks and tall buildings. Also the weather is cold and wet for most of the school year.

If you are not hard-working or willing to put the time in to get good grades, this probably is not the college for you. It is also not a good college for people who do not like to get involved. There is so much going on here that it is almost impossible to not join in a club or activity. People who do not join things have a hard time adjusting and making friends because the campus is so large. You really have to make an effort to get involved and meet new people.

You have to like an urban environment to like it here. While we are not in downtown Pittsburgh, there is street noise, crosswalks, and a city atmosphere. You also need to be comfortable with a large amount of people around you most of the time. With a large undergraduate body, you should not attend if you are looking for a small school. So I would say someone who is looking for a rural small town feel, shoud not attend.

People who are shy, are more comfortable in smaller, non-urban campuses should not attend the University of Pittsburgh. The size and sheer numbers of students who attent Pitt can be very overwhelming, especially for someone who is more comfortable in a smaller, more rurual setting. If a student prefers smaller classes with fewer people and more individual attention from their professors, then Pitt is not for them.

Anyone who wants to pursue a career in the performing arts, or anything artistic. There are theater, music, dance, and art programs, but this is really not the place for you if you are serious about any of these fields. Also, it can be hard to find your way here if you don't know what you want to do with your life. There is career counseling, etc, but ultimately no one's going to help you unless you seek help.

If you hope to be at an "enclosed" campus, don't. Pitt is a part of the city and so commerical buildings are interspersed with classes. Also, if you're not used to a faster pace and a cooler climate, you won't feel at home. It's in the city, it is a major hub of pittsburgh so there is always traffic and buses running through. And the dorms are varied,throughout campus, so be prepared to walk.

Do not attend if you do not like big campus, or campuses that are not secluded from the rest of world. Do not attend if you want more personal attention from professors because many classes are big, and in introductary classes teachers will not know your names. Do not come to Pitt if you need to have your hand help.