University of Pittsburgh-Pittsburgh Campus Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Pittsburgh-Pittsburgh Campus

Serra

Pitt is a great intersection of all things. I think that literally anyone could find their place here. It is a huge campus in the middle of the city and is surrounded by the culture of Pittsburgh and multiple other colleges. Our sports are great for those who are into them, but not everyone has to do that. Greek life is present and contributes a ton to the school, but it is entirely possible to have a life without it! The activities you can get involved in are literally countless. The facilities are generally pretty nice and constantly improving. Academics are great and classes and programs become more specially refined as you get deeper into your major. Academic opportunities in general are pretty diverse, especially the developing international opportunities. Our study abroad programs are amazing. Housing isn't the greatest ever but it also isn't the worst - but seriously what dorm is? Once you get into apartment style housing as an upperclassmen it's really nice. Off campus housing is alright depending on how hard you look and how much you are willing to pay. Overall, Pitt was my sixteenth choice for schools, until I somehow landed a full scholarship to be here and couldn't say no. And you know, I really really have loved my time here and I will be sad to leave. I think this is exactly where I needed to be.

Alison

If you are interested in any career in the health field, Pitt is for you. Not only do they have programs ranked in the top 25 in the nation (1st in Physical Therapy, 4th in Occupational Therapy, 13th in medical schools), but there are plenty of opportunities around the city to volunteer (there are at least 3 hospitals on campus). Pre-health classes can be challenging, but most professors are very accessible and friendly. Dorms are fairly nice though some don't have A/C. The dining halls have plenty of options, but you WILL get tired of it very quickly. Luckily, there are many restaurants on Forbes Avenue. The campus is split into upper and lower. Upper campus houses a few dorms (including Honors housing) and the fraternity houses along with wonderful athletic facilities. The Honors College is not exclusive and anyone can take an honors course. About halfway between upper and lower is the Medical School/hospital which is a great place to study, especially if you live on upper campus. Lower campus is where most of the dorms and all academic buildings, including Cathy (Cathedral of Learning) are located. Campus has almost anything you can ever want and if you can't find what you're looking for, it is likely a short bus ride away (students ride free on public transportation). There are hundreds of clubs that cover every topic under the sun and a great activity fair at the beginning of each semester. Greek life isn't a big thing on campus. The sororities don't have houses and fraternity parties are closed. Freshman can rush during their second semester. Like most schools, partying happens on the weekends, but there are plenty of other things to do if you are not interested (just avoid South O). My top suggestions would be: apply for honors housing, take the opportunity to explore Pittsburgh when you have the time, buy football season tickets ($25 for students), buy your textbooks from the facebook page (it's much cheaper than the bookstore), and enjoy your time as a panther. HAIL TO PITT!

Jenna

Pitt is a super fun campus to live on and we have direct access to the city as students. Learning is always encouraged in every aspect of school life. We get to go to all of the local museums for free along with public transportation. The food could be better and the on campus housing is bearable and fun. I love being able to walk to everything I could want. I wouldn't change my Pitt experience for the world. I love going to Pitt football games at Heinz Field!

Julia

The University of Pittsburgh is a well rounded education in an urban campus. The housing and food options are livable not lovable. Class sizes are generally quite large with an occasional class of 30. Sports are large on campus. People everywhere are striving for success.

Renee

There are literal ups-and-downs (living on upper campus may be nice, but the commute isn't), and the weather may be unpredictable, but overall Pitt's Pittsburgh campus is in a really nice location with cool shops and restaurants a bus ride away. There are a lot of resources on campus, and the academics are good too. There are tons of activities and organizations to join, and there's always an event going on somewhere. It's not hard to make friends or find your place at Pitt.

Min

Coming from a town where the graduating class is 38 students, I was terrified of the transition of a huge university. Not knowing whether or not I would like the food, fit in, the whole nine yards. But everything changed when I stepped foot onto the campus. Greeted by a smiling pathfinder every which turn, grabbing Market with floor-mates, there was never a part of freshman year I wanted to change. I knew I was home.

MonaLisa

1. Pittsburgh is one of the most livable cities - living expenses is so affordable and cheap compared to New York City and Boston. 2. Campus is huge, almost 30,000 students, 400 campus organizations, and pretty diverse students (I was a minority student myself) 3. Best school for medical and health related career - Doctor, nurse, physical therapist, public health professional, pharmacist, social worker, dentist, health administrator, etc. 4. So many majors, minors and certificates for you to choose from, probably over 100 choicese! I was able to switch majors at the end of sophomore year with ease and graduated on time. 5. Students that come to Pitt are very smart - up 25% of the class. I was salutatorian of my high school class, and most of my college friends were top 3 of their high school class too. When finals are coming up, everybody is studying in class, on the lawn, in the restaurant, and on the bus. If you aren't studying, you are not cool!

Erika

University of Pittsburgh is a great university in a great location. There is always something to do in Oakland which is just a short bus ride away from downtown. There is never a shortage of events happening on campus, but it is still easy to get away for a while with plenty to do around the city. Classes can be big or small, but most of the professors do want their students to do well. The campus is nice and compact, so going to and from class is not too much of a trek. The on-campus food options aren't great, but there are plenty of fast-casual and sit-down restaurants within walking distance when you really need it. Overall, Pitt is a great school where you'll never be bored and I do love it here. Hail to Pitt!

Claire

I love going to school at Pitt! It was the only city school I applied to, and I fell in love with the city. Pitt has so many great opportunities right there; top knotch hospitals, research centers, and so many places to intern and volunteer at. The sports are awesome, and the natives are very into them. There is a lot of school pride. On and off campus housing may not be the best, but campus is beautiful and has top knotch academics and a great social atmosphere, so I think that makes up for it. I met life long friends here. If you are bored at Pitt its your own fault. Hail to Pitt!!! #h2p

Erin

I absolutely love it here, the football and basketball games are huge events on campus where a majority of campus is involved. There are plenty of clubs and activities to get involved in on campus- almost everyone on campus is involved in something! There is plenty to do on the weekends since we are directly located in the city!

Gillian

Pittsburgh has changed my life. The thought of me being a student at any other universuty is laughable. Of course I am love the academics and they are an imporant part of being in college but I would be lying if I said that the

Nick

Pitt is awesome. For a big school, they do a great job of giving it a small school feel. Theres a saying at Pitt that if you meet someone new, you always have at least one mutual friend. There are so many job opportunities here, especially for while your in school. I work for Heinz Field selling beer in the stands at Steelers games. People are really academically focused here, not too much were you can't escape it but enough that you can nice intellectual conversations. The city is awesome for college students, there always stuff going on plus its cheap for a city. Great opportunities here overall. I try and get my friends to apply, I would definitely recommend!

Margaret

Pittsburgh is an exciting place, with a host of experiences to be had and opportunities for an individual. Pitt is a well-known research institution and students preparing for medical careers benefit immensely from it's tie to UPMC. It is one of 7 colleges/universities in the area and I have found many like-minded people, even outside my school. The biggest downside is tuition, with in-state now at a staggering 17K-- ridiculous for a state-related institution. In the end, regardless, I go here. I am proud to go here. I get what I need to be successful. No regrets.

Fredrika

The prized possession of the University of Pittsburgh is the Cathedral of Learning. Pitt students are obsessed with Cathy and normally don't mind having class after class in the building. Although the school is in a city, campus feels very safe. The rest of Pittsburgh is easily accessible with free city-bus services, so there's always something to do. Everyone I have met at Pitt love the school, the people, and the city.

Kimberly

I have made amazing memories and wonderful friends at Pitt. The campus student body has a wonderful blend of intellectuals who also enjoy participating in sporting events, extra curricular activities, and social outings. At Pitt, I gained immense academic knowledge amongst fellow young scholars while also enjoying Pitt athletics, Greek Life events, volunteer opportunities, and Pittsburgh's unique night life. I would do anything to go back!

Olivia

I really enjoy this school. The academics are challenging and a priority among students, but most students make time throughout the week to have fun. We have access to many things in the city of Pittsburgh, often for free. Businesses around the city like having Pitt students, so there are many opportunities to experience things in your prospective field.

J

H2P!

Katie

Pitt is all around an amazing school. The campus is beautiful—a mix of city but also some green—and the city of Pittsburgh is an awesome place to explore. I'm an out-of-state student, and even though there are a lot of in-state students, I've never felt so comfortable. The sporting events are fun, the academics are taken seriously (it's a pretty tough school), and there are so many ways to get involved!

Shruti

I was a little hesitant to apply to Pitt because it was far from home and I grew up in a small town. However, I decided to get out of my comfort zone and hail to Pitt and I never looked back after. The academics are challenging but there are many resources to help guide you and the friendships you make last a lifetime.

Kenechukwu

It's a great school that I love and will forever support. The campus itself is huge but it feels really small and cozy after a month or two there. There are plenty of clubs to join and if there is not one you like, you can easily create one you want. There is not a whole lot of diversity but it is possible to find your niche.

Jordan

Campus is in the city so there is always homeless people asking you for money. Theres not really a quad where students can go to hang out. Have fun finding some grass. Cathedral is cool. Plenty of places to eat and easy to get around with the bus system.

Heather

Hail to Pitt--a mantra familiar to all who call the University of Pittsburgh home. This is the chant a student will hear at one of our lively football games, from a fellow Pitt Panther--our peers on campus--on the way to class, or proudly displayed across the acceptance letter to Pitt in the hands of an eager and motivated high school senior. These three words are used often by the students of the University of Pittsburgh, or Pitt as we like to call it, and rightly so. Not only is Pitt a leader in research, medicine, and academics, but all who associate themselves with this great institution have an incredible passion and drive to improve their world through their studies in some way. As a student at Pitt who could not call Pittsburgh "home" before moving onto campus at the start of my freshman year at the university, I can accredit the environment at Pitt as the most welcoming, friendly home away from home that I encountered out of all of the colleges I visited as a prospective student. Not only did I immediately feel a sense of comfort and warmth from all I encountered at Pitt upon my first visit to campus, but after living in the city for almost two years, I have felt this sense of community grow. All that call Pitt home contribute a diverse array of interests and ideas to the university, while sharing the commonality of a great intrinsic motivation to work hard and achieve something that could advance society in some way. As a whole, the students at Pitt are extremely dedicated to their studies, which not only increases my love for the school as a student who desires to thrive academically, but also pushes me to work to my greatest ability. Alongside this passion for study and societal improvement, students are provided with all the tools necessary for success. Professors are constantly willing to meet with students to discuss topics covered in class and even work as a team with some, side by side, in research projects. We are also lucky enough to call the city of Pittsburgh our campus. Because downtown Pittsburgh is only a 10-15 minute bus ride away, the multitude of companies located in the city are just at our fingertips for students interested in volunteering, internships, or lab positions. The possibilities academically seem to go on infinitely for this reason, but it also provides students with a means by which to have fun and explore. The city of Pittsburgh, one of the cleanest cities in the nation, is filled with museums to investigate, delicious restaurants, shops, and venues for concerts and major league sports games, all of which are made extremely accessible to students. Pitt encourages its students to explore by providing us with fare free transportation on the city busses, free admission into many museums, and promotion of the arts by providing us with free and discounted tickets to shows around the city. As a whole, both on and off campus are filled with opportunities like no other academic institution. No matter what one's passion may be, Pitt hears the voices of its students and provides in a variety of ways for those needs. As a proud Pitt Panther, I feel astounded each day to have the opportunity to further my education at one of the most unique and innovative institutions in the world.

M

I've had a really positive experience thus far at Pitt. Going in, I was worried about the campus drinking culture (I wasn't planning on drinking or partying much), because at some of my friends' schools, if you don't drink or party, there's not much to do. However, at Pitt, I haven't had that issue, and I think a lot of that comes down to being in a city, and a city that has multiple other universities. Personally, I'm really into theater, so having CMU right there has been great for weekends I don't want to go out, because there's usually a free show there (they have a phenomenal drama school) or something else free or cheap going on in the city. Oakland, the neighborhood Pitt is in, also has the Carnegie museums and library (pro tip: you can study in the library in window seats overlooking the dinosaurs in the Natural History Museum), Phipps botanical gardens, Schenley Park, etc., and we can get into almost all Pittsburgh museums for free, which is awesome if you're a museum person like me. I will say, though, that most people at Pitt are here for sciences (...including me), so arts and humanities related extracurriculars and whatnot can be hard to come by, which is unfortunate. Also, Pittsburgh, though pretty LGBT+ friendly, doesn't have a hopping LGBT+ culture, unfortunately. It can be hard to find other LGBT people, especially if you can't make the Rainbow Alliance meetings. Pitt also has pretty bad food (you'll probably eat a lot of waffles and spinach salads) and a serious lack of study spaces. Cathy--overcrowded, no outlets. Hillman--same. Law building--scary, cold, no outlets. It gets old after a while. Counseling services are also just okay, but luckily UPMC is an excellent hospital system, so if you can't stand their long wait list or 8 session limit, you can always go there. As for academics, I've found that classes are really hit or miss, depending on the professor, but rate my professor is accurate but negative leaning. My professors have also all been really invested in my success in their class or field, which is, honestly, really shocking to me. I expected a lot of profs that were just there for research, but I've had a far more positive experience than that, which is good. Anyways, in conclusion, I've found that Pitt is a big enough school with enough going on for there always to be something interesting if you're willing to reach out. I'm sure you could have a thoroughly mediocre experience if you weren't motivated to do so, but if you do reach out, you'll find support, interesting opportunities, and passionate and driven people (even if we barely know what we're going to major in!).

Brent

It is a rigorous university, especially in the STEM fields. They don't consider it a "public Ivy" for nothing. The campus is relatively small and walking doesn't take much time, but it is hilly. Students and staff are friendly, and there is plenty to do around campus or around the city.

Delilah

I really love my campus! The atmosphere is always exciting and fresh. I'm a part of my school's radio station, have a work study job, and participate in activities on and off campus with other girls from my floor, all within walking distance. This campus is really special because we're right in the middle of the city. There's always something to do and participate in. The sports atmosphere is really fun, getting to go to the professional football stadium to watch the football games and watch my roommate kill it in the marching band are some of my favorite activities here on campus. The one thing I don't love about campus is the dining hall food, which isn't awesome. But there are a ton of on-campus options that take our University of Pittsburgh dining dollars and there's off campus dining options. Class size here is perfect, for me at least. Some classes are huge, for example I have a 300 person chemistry lecture. But, we split into smaller groups once a week that are taught by a TA, and classes that need more focus, like my English Composition class, are much smaller- 15 people instead of 300. I couldn't be happier with my college choice, I love going to Pitt!

Chandrima

When I committed to Pitt, I only did it because my parents insisted on it due to its location. I am so glad I decided on Pitt, because it is the perfect college. It is one of the top schools for healthcare fields, and the location is optimal. It is a 20 minute bus ride away from Downtown Pittsburgh, but it is in its own city: Oakland. The school's campus is not huge, but its not small. Also, we get free bus transport, so I can get away and explore the city anytime I am free. The faculty is kind, and are usually accessible in office hours. The dorms are small, but close knit. Students are friendly, and there is a good balance between work and play.

molly

I love the campus and my classes. I love my roommate and we do a lot of things together I have enjoyed going to the PITT football games I have learned to live the city life The staff are eager to teach and help you as a student My RA is a wonderful person and very helpful

rachel

I loved my time at Pitt. It's a beautiful campus situated in a richly diverse city. We get a bus pass that allows you to take advantage of the different little areas of the city, and tons to restaurants/coffee shops/music venus (and even comedy!) to keep you occupied. The University has a deal through Pitt arts where students are able to get cheap tickets to shows and orchestra concerts, and we're able to access most museums for free. Be as open-minded as you can and good things will follow! The students are really nice and have a lot of pride for the Steel City. There are tons of things to do, a farmers market when the weather is nicer, and a lot of events put on by the school like movies, painting, etc... Make sure to visit the stress-free zone (this is how I got all my yoga for free my freshman year)!

Damoni

Ever since I have visited University of Pittsburgh I really enjoyed the campus and the environment in itself. It is my number one choice in schools and I am 100 percent positive that I will be attending University of Pittsburgh in the fall. I hope that everything that I have seen or heard about the school is true because if so, I'all absolutely enjoy it!

Caroline

An incredibly true statement I encountered during my college search is that a college is as small as you want it to be. Pittsburgh has a tremendous quantity of resources because it is a city, but within your major at Pitt, you will find a community of students who know you by name.

Hana

I adore the urban atmosphere of Pitt! It is located in its own neighborhood of Pittsburgh, and the public transport is free and goes everywhere. There is a strong research atmosphere and impressive people are your professors. I will look back on my experience fondly.

Jacquelyn

Good school with many opportunities for academics, social and entertainment activities. Many majors to choose from and excellent graduate programs. Choise of housing is plentiful. Cultural opportunities are plentiful as well. Weather could be better but only 3 months are are uncomfortable.

Julie

When you arrive at Pitt, everyone will tell you that the city is our campus. It may seem like a cliche intended to get you excited about the campus but it really is true. Being in Pittsburgh, you have easy access to so many amazing opportunities in all the neighborhoods of Pittsburgh. You can experience the culture, the food, and more downtown and in the strip. Being in a city, there are also so many opportunities for internships and networking if you look for them. Pitt is also amazing at helping students find those types of opportunities.

Kenny -Phm

The dorms and city feel safe. The off campus food selection is great, on campus food is expensive. Class sizes are good for a university so large. The Computer Science department is doing a lot to improve. Lot's of clubs available. Nearby shops are great.

Aliyah

I love it here. The atmosphere is exactly what I was hoping to get out of a city school, and the culture of the university is exactly what I was expecting, and even excelled it. There are lots of opportunities and adventures awaiting you if you decide to apply here.

Julia

I love the urban campus. There is always somewhere new to explore! There are plenty of different food options around campus. The classrooms are decent. We have a diverse school with plenty of exchange students. Pitt is one of the highest ranked public colleges for academics in the U.S. and Pitt graduates reflect that. I hail to Pitt!

Adele

I believe the University of Pittsburgh’s a wonderful place for a college education. They have so many wonderful opportunities for everyone, including freshmen! For example, First Experiences in Research guarantees every student a chance at participati in research, and they have a similar program for internships!

Brandon

I absolutely love the school. I cannot think of anything I would change. I have made some of my best friends while here, along with some of the most academically challenging classes I have ever taken. The school has a lot to offer, socially and academically.

I think that the campus overall has a unique environment that I am glad to be a part of.I have never felt unsafe or threatened and enjoy the activities that you can go to while here. The academics are top notch and make me feel like I will have a competitive chance at securing a job once I have graduated. Overall, I think that my experience at Pitt has been fantastic.

Emma

I came from a small Community College from the suburbs to a big University in the Middle of a sprawling city was a huge change. Even though it is in a big city sometimes it can get really lonely when you don't know anyone. This biggest thing that stood out to me about the University is how much activity is going on from the Student Union. Feeling included is really easy because everyone can find something they like here from Greek life to comic book clubs.

The University of Pittsburgh is an amazing campus all around. There are hundreds of student organizations for people to do the things they love, the campus is lively and interesting, the food is pretty okay, the professors are great and there are many different classes to choose from.

Marina

Pittsburgh is an amazing city and Pitt has it all! Every activity you want is located in the city without the overwhelming feeling of being in a major city. The weather is great and gives you a range of temperature. The buildings (especially our Cathedral of Learning) are gorgeous Gothic structures! Professors are always available, through emails, office hours etc. If you can't find your professor, find your TA or head to the tutoring center! Everything is accessible and you'll meet the best people!

Gilbert

The campus atmosphere is open and accepting. Teachers are always available when you need them and always willing to help. Overall, the University of Pittsburgh has everything you could want. You get out what you put in and if you put in the effort here you will definitely not regret your time here.

Lisa

The University of Pittsburgh was actually my second choice - I originally wanted to attend the University of Wisconsin, but the diving coach there told me there was not a spot for me on the team. Long story short, that rejection was one of the best things that happened to me. Once I arrived on campus, I kept finding more and more reasons why Pitt was the school for me. Academically, Pitt is phenomenal. There are so many majors, minors, and certificates to choose from, and new classes are constantly being developed. The biology research labs (had I known about them prior to committing) would have been a huge seller for me, as they allow undergraduates to get experience in research while fulfilling lab requirements. My only complaint about Pitt's academics is that there is no psychology minor; however, this may become an option in the not to distant future. There are also so many opportunities to study abroad, and so many scholarships available for studying abroad. One such scholarship is completion of the OCC (Outside the Classroom Curriculum). The OCC has ten focus areas, such as wellness and global awareness, that you earn points in by performing tasks and going to campus events. After completing the OCC, you can earn a $1,500 scholarship for study abroad, reimbursement for a non-paid internship, or a research grant. Aside from academics, there are tons of student groups and club that you can get involved in. From a capella groups to activist clubs to the powerlifting team, it's hard to find a student that isn't involved in at least one club. The Greek life here isn't too crazy like it is in the South, but it definitely exists. Personally, I am not involved in a sorority or co-ed fraternity, but I am friends with people that are and they love it (and they don't judge me for not being involved). Some other reasons why attending Pitt is a fantastic experience that don't necessarily have to do with the school itself: 1. $4 t-shirts, $10 long sleeve t-shirts, and $15 hoodies. I mean, seriously, what other school has that? 2. Free access to all Port Authority buses, which can take you basically anywhere. Which leads me to my next point... 3. Pittsburgh isn't exactly a city, it's more like a bunch of cute neighborhoods that conglomerated together. Sure, there's downtown, which, compared to New York City, is newer, cleaner, and less crowded/touristy. But there's also Shadyside, Lawrenceville, South Side, The Strip, The North Shore, and Squirrel Hill. 4. It's not totally urban - while you do have all of the shopping/food areas listed above, there's also Schenley Park which is GORGEOUS. And, of course, all of the rivers and mountains not too far from campus. 5. ALL OF THE PITTSBURGH FOOD. 6. Football games at Heinz Field, where the Steelers play. Incredible. 7. Do you really need any more convincing?

Jenny

This is my second time attending the University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Campus. I have to say I enjoy it much more this time around because I make use of the services and facilities. The campus libraries have a great variety of literature that make for interesting research proposals.

Margaret

University of Pittsburgh; what can I say except that I had some of the best four years of my life there. Do I wish I had done some things differently? Yes, of course, but who doesn't have a few regrets from their undergraduate experience. First and foremost, I have almost nothing negative to say about the academics. I learned so much valuable information, including life lessons, that I will carry with me forever. Regardless of some of the large class sizes and lack of availability of some professors, it was the best education I could have asked for from an undergraduate college. My heaviest complaint about the school is that there seems to be a lack of diversity. Perhaps I did not branch out enough during my time there, but I found it difficult to find a wide range of interests among the student body. Every semester, my classes were filled with a different crowd of people but nothing really felt different about them. It was the same one-hundred kids that had a heavy interest in learning on the weekdays and partying on the weekends. Of course, I still managed to find my niche, my group of half a dozen life-long friends that I will always be able to turn to, and for that, I will always thank Pitt.

I am in love with the University of Pittsburgh!! I could not have made a better choice of where to continue my education. Pitt has the best of both worlds being located within the city of Pittsburgh but also having the capability to have a suburban campus feel. One go the best perks is students get to ride the public buses for free so if you and your friends want to take a trip downtown or to any of the amazing neighborhoods in Pittsburgh its only a free bus ride away. It has amazing academics where the professors are usually available to help if needed and the school spirit amongst the students is like no other. Pitt is truly one of the best universities in the country and the world.

Nathaniel

I love the University of Pittsburgh due to the social scene and great academic variability. I love that the food is of great quality and variety. My only complaints would be that it is a big university, so you may feel a bit out of place at first, but don't worry because you will find your place and great friends!

Priyanka

The University of Pittsburgh is in an urban city with a small town feel. This allows you to get the best of both worlds. You can experience the traditional campus while having access to many opportunities and amenities. Pitt is known for its STEM programs and it is especially ideal for those looking to pursue a career in the medical field. With several teaching hospitals on campus, like UPMC Presbyterian, students have endless opportunities to volunteer, shadow and participate in research programs through several hospitals on campus. It's candy land for any premed student! The student body is very welcoming and you will quickly start to call Pitt your home. When football season rolls around, get ready to see how dedicated we are to our team! As a student, I am genuinely satisfied with the education that I am receiving. The curriculum is challenging and the professors do an incredible job supporting and encouraging their students. Overall, I am so happy that I made the choice to come to Pitt. Hail to Pitt!

Pitt is an amazing school and provides endless opportunities. There is always something to do and you're honestly never bored. Pittsburgh is such an unique city and filled with great food. The people I met here are the most genuine people I have met and I felt that it was really easy to meet new people! The academics are great and the professor really understand the material they are teaching. Pitt is a well rounded school and I highly recommend this school to anyone!