University of Pittsburgh-Titusville

« See more reviews of University of Pittsburgh-Titusville

I would tell my self as a high school senior to visit college campuses more. The current school I am enrolled in, does not reflect me in any way. It is rural and nothing to do. I came from the city, therefore I am used to the busy life of a city, compared to the farm life. Also, to look at the opportunities the university offers. I personally like to study abroad, and this was one of the reasons I choose this university. They have a very creditable programs that offers many oppurtunities for undergraduates. Out of state is alluring however, not always the most intelligent. Being on your own is every teenagers dream, being away from parental supervision, however you tend to miss your family the most. Definetly do not follow your friends in their decisions. You need to become an independent adult and not follow your best friend or significant other to their dream school. Keep in mind, that it is okay to change your major. There is no point waking up each day miserable regreting choosing this career. Finally, keep in mind each year school tution goes up 7 percent. Remember to consider scholarships and financial aid.

I thought college was going to be similar to high school as far as homework and reporting to class is concerned. I thought if you miss a class, the instructor would review the material. And if an assignment is missed, there would be some leniency so that it could be turned in late. Again, I failed to realize that there would be consequences for those actions. If I do not turn in an assignment on time or report to class, I earn a zero for the assignment and have to find another way to learn what I missed in class. If I knew then what I know now, on the first day of school I would have been better prepared to handle the challenges of collegiate academics and the lack of privacy that prevails in dorm life. Specifically, my habit of procrastination when it came to studying or completing assignments left me ill-prepared for the demands of navigating class schedules and assignments, while sharing a bedroom and bathroom in the dormitory poses challenges of a much more personal nature. Now that I have been here for a year I would warn high school self about the dangers of college.

Dear Meni, You’re finally a SENIOR! You’re probably thinking, “OH YEAH! I’m a senior! CLASS OF 2012!", well you really need to relax. This is the year you really need to focus. There’s no time for slacking off; colleges have their "binoculars", looking at your GPA, extracurricular activities, and ACT/SAT scores. This is some advice I will need you to follow through your senior year and towards your first year of college: 1.Don’t Be Afraid Participate in Class Discussion I know it’s very nerve racking to state your opinion because you may think that your answer is wrong but, remember, just go with your instinct. 2.Learn to Take Responsibility You had your chance to do whatever you wanted because your parents or teachers were able to fix it, but now it’s time to be accountable for your actions. 3.Always Be Yourself Never feel obligated to change who you are, no matter what anyone says. Do the best you can and if the results don’t come out the way you wanted, just know that you tried your best while others don’t try themselves. Your Future Self, Meni

I believe that out of my three years experience on this campus I have learned so much. I have learned more than just what is taught in my classes, but what other classmates have taught me from their classes, their life experiences, along with teamwork, being a responsible adult, and the importance of reaching out to the community and keeping in touch with family. I feel that being here has helped me get the extra help I needed to help me reach my goal in becoming a physical therapist. If I didn?t have professors that cared about their students passing, I would have never felt comfortable about approaching them to explain things that seemed unclear to me. They want us to know the information so that us students can become the best in the fields we are applying into which, when we go for our job interviews or even graduate class interviews we will be well prepared. So every day I learn something new; either in the class room, in the dorms, or just around town. It has opened me up to new things and allowed me to become a more rounded person.

My name is Tony Deshaun Manuel. I am a sophomore at Pulaski Technical College. I graduated from Hall High School in 2008. After I graduated from High School, I enrolled to Pulaski Technical College. This will be my second year at Pulaski Technical College. My goal is, to attend to 4-year-university. My ultimate goal is to become a businessman, hoping to own my business one day. I am currently taking 12-hours so I can transfer to a 4-year-university. I have learned that I have to depend on myself I can't depend on my teachers, I have to depend on me. College is much more than just pursuing another level of education its an experience that will make me a better, wiser, and more intelligent person. I hope one day when i have children that they too will attend college and get the same experience that i have experienced. College does have similarities as high school, but they do not have as many hours and study time as college do. That is something that i definitely had to get use to is studying more now I am use to it. i am use to it.

College can have some of the same features as highschool, yet at the same time very different. There are more responsibilities as well as requires a lot more self motivation. In college, mom isn't waking you up, packing your lunch, and getting you to school on time. You have to know where you are goin and when and how to get there. College life requires accountability. If you miss class, it is up to you contact your teacher and get yourself caught up. College life has been portrayed to be a big party and it's not. Along with self motivation and accountability, you have to be well organized and always on tract. Schedules vary, things get confusing, but always keep it in the back of your head that this will all be worth it one of these days. I know it seems like you will be in school for the rest of your life after 4 years of high school. But, I can personally guarantee you if you don't take college seriously, it will be one of your biggest regrets. It doesn't seem like it now, but take my word for it. It is a guarantee!

Three advice that I would give myself if I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior are not to get influenced by my peers, be productive with my time, and know the reason why your in college. My first year at Pitt Titusville was a life changing experience due to all the things that my peers were trying to influence me on doing such as, drinking and partying every night. Second, one thing that many of my peers including myself had a difficult time with was time management. Yes, you are in college and you want to have fun, but you have to be able to manage your school work and fun at the same time. Third, you must know what you want to accomplish in life and why your parents are paying thousands of dollars for you to be in school. Many people come to college and try to live the college life (fun life, independent life) but don't put much work on their education and dream. Finally, get involved in your school like I did, it could be joining SGA, intramurals sports, honor societies and etc.

If I could go back to August 30th I would. And while am there, I would change my effort on math So far this term, after math class I have held off on doing my homework, when it was time to do it. I would give half effort on my math . My habits became consistent in allowing myself to give half effort on any math assignment. I noticed my homework started to affect my test scores. The problem was due to the fact that I never checked my answers to see if they were right. And if they were wrong, I would be studying from wrong solutions. Therefor I would familiarize myself with wrong work which showed on my math test results. This was a result of me to giving half effort on my homework. If I could go back to August 30th, I would do my homework with full effort. I have begun to ask my professor for help after class on a concept that I don’t understand. Also I have begun to review my math homework and work on practice quizzes. Most importantly I have started to check my math solutions to make sure they are correct.

Right now you are probably more concerned with your upcoming road trip and dates with that cute boy you met at your cousin’s wedding, but check it out. You are soon to enter a whole new world (kind of like Aladdin & Jasmine). Take everything the future has to offer, experience as much as possible. There will be moments in which you want to give up, pack your things and run back to mom & dad (hard to believe, I know) but stick to it, you can are strong enough. You’ll learn the friends you make in college will stick with you in life, the classes you struggle with will likely be the most memorable and the dining center food isn’t all that bad! You’ll learn that life happens all too quickly and you wish you could go back to not worrying about a job and mortgages and car payments and keeping food in the cupboards. Take my advice. Be nice to the guy that delivers your Pita Pit at 2:37am on a Wednesday because you are still awake writing a paper for your class that starts at 9. You can do this!

The best advice that I could give to a highschool senior is just to keep moving forward. Remember, life is never hard; it's just how you perceive life. Being a high school senior myself, I've learned a great deal of how to take control and moving at my own past of life. You're going to make mistakes. At times you will look back with some regrets, but just don't be hard on yourself. Keep going and never look back. Stepping into a new era of education, I made myself a promise. I promised myself to devote my time and energy to nothing but achieving the best I can, and I'm glad that so far I have kept this promise and I hope you will as well. Transition to adulthood can be difficult. Never forget its all about how you perceive the world. Be in charge of your life. You are a bright soul who has so much potential in life. You deserve all the best. Don't lose your momentum to keep moving forward. Take baby steps. YOU CAN DO IT!! -Truly yours