Portland, OR
University of Portland

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Portland

Richelle

University of Portland is a school where students truly come to learn and get an education not only in the classroom, but also in real life as the faculty encourages the students to move beyond their textbooks and learn from the world from downtown Portland to rural towns in Kenya; in sum, this school is populated with students and faculty that are committed to learning, exploring their curiosity, opening themselves to the world surrounding them, and applying their gained knowledge through academia to life.

The rigor that my classmates approach both their academic and social lives come in many different flavors; for example, some have their heads down in the books their entire four years, some are incredibly outgoing and maybe do not pay enough attention on their schoolwork, but the people I like to surround myself with are those that are shockingly vivacious in their studies and their interpersonal relationships.

Say yes to everything. Coming into college, you are greeted with a multitude of opportunities to join clubs and teams, you are encouraged to take classes a bit out of the norm, and to do things out of your social comfort zone. Say yes, get involved, and be safe. Oftentimes, people can feel trapped in a school as small as University of Portland. You see the same people in the same part of the library, you take the same classes with the same people, and you eat the same lunch with the same people. Getting involved in a variety of activities can help you expand your horizons socially and academically at the same time. I have learned over the past three years that some of your greatest ideas can come from conversation with just the right person. In fact, you can do your greatest learning through interaction, which not only strengthens your relationship, but it also reinforces your ideas and your growth as a person. You will never know when these key people are going to pop up, so you might as well engage everyone you can merely by saying “yes.”

Nicolas

The University of Portland is probably best known for it's womens soccer program. We have one of the best womens soccer teams in the country and our graduates have been a staple of the womens national team for years (Megan Rapinoe, Stephanie Cox, ect.) and the school comes out in full support for the team. We have topped womens collegiate soccer attendance records for multiple straight years, and our dedicated fans make Merlo Field a great soccer environment and a very difficult place for the opposition to play.

I would tell myself to be more active in trying to meet people in the beginning of school. In the beginning of college you are surrounded by thousands of people who don't know anyone either. This makes it much easier to get to know people at the beggining of the year because they have not yet formed their friend groups. Unfortunatly I spent much of my time in the beginning of the year in my dorm skyping with friends back home, and as a result when I finally did form a friend group at the school it was mostly restricted to just people who lived in my dorm. Eqquiped with this information I will be more open towards the incoming freshmen to help expand my friend group.

The University of Portland is ideal for people who are considering schools with smaller class sizes. Class sizes tend to be between 25-35 people and it gives you a chance to make personal relationships with professors to make sure you get the help you need. While the University of fairly small in terms of enrollment (around 4,000), it's location, only a 20 or so minute bus ride from the heart of Portland means that you will always be able to find things to do.

Kristin

What makes UP unique would be the people one would meet on campus. The campus is a close-knit community and everyone is treated with respect. The staff are friendly and the faculty considers the student's perspective and make it a point to know each individual as a person. Ultimately, this religiously affiliated privately-owned college, is open to new ideas as well as respects and accepts individuals for who they are. Attending UP makes one feel like they're apart of a new family whether they live close by or miles away, theres always a resource available.

A negative aspect of the university is the pressure to succeed. Just like any family, a parent would only want the best for his/her child and a child's only wish is to make his/her parent(s) proud. At this university, there is a strong emphasis on good grades making successful people. This puts students in a highly stressful situation which potentially sacrifices the student's overall health for the sake of his/her grade. Overall, implying that failing in college translates to failing in life, is an unhealthy mindset that the university often instills in its students.

As a sophomore in college, I would tell my high school self to enjoy every moment of college; to be emotionally and physically present everyday. I would say to embrace your experiences because the next four years are going to change you whether you're ready or not. She has to know that at this point, she’d have to be more independent, completely mindful of herself, and understand her own physical and mental health. Furthermore, I would say to her that academics are important, but they’re not everything. My high school self has to know that failing is a crucial part of life. Lastly, everyone has their own experiences and she doesn't have to follow anyone else’s path. She doesn’t have to be who some else tells her to be, but be able to embrace that fact that she is a unique person who has something to offer the world if she just puts her mind to it. Ultimately, the only person that gets in the way of her dreams is herself: she is her own true enemy. She can get to where she wants to be if she only lets herself experience things.

Sean

As I said already, I would tell my self to be more organized.The only other thing that I would tell myself is to use the resources that were made available to me more efficiently. This would allow me to achieve higher marks in my classes, and I would have an even better understanding of the subject material that I had studied.

Before attending the University of Portland I wish that I had known better organizational tactics. Being organized is one of the most important things one can do to be successful in any university.

Lillian

My school is a place with the capacity for us to grow in life and in our self-image, here, we can find individuality and push ourselves to our utmost potential.

Definitely the campus and its class size. The classroom environment is none like others. Teachers remember your name, they say hi to you. The campus is not scattered but in one place, which makes it convinient to get to classes. Also, the people here are all very friendly and unique. They all portray individuality and integrity. The student body is very diverse. There are people who come from all over the world, which is why everyone stick together and help each other whenever they misses home. My school is none like others, we are all family to one another.

Jessie

One of the stereotypes I have noticed while at UP is that outsiders think we are wealthy white kids. I do not think this is completely accurate because almost every student is on some sort of financial aid whether it is coming from the University, outside loans, or private scholarships. Although many students are Caucasian, you will find differences in religious background, political views, and sexual orientation. One stereotype that does hold up is that UP students are smart, caring, and dedicated to what they do.

Kerrie

Besides our wonderful Salzburg program and the heavy ROTC presence, I would say we're best known for our teachers. I have yet to have a teacher who didn't enjoy teaching everyday and who wasn't truly gifted at it. I don't expect to encounter one. Every teacher I've had at UP so far has cared immensely about his or her students and put all of his or her time and effort into bettering the classroom environment. I really appreciate that.

Honestly, it would probably start as a pretty light-hearted conversation. The first thing I would say would be, "Kerrie, now I know everyone tells you that it rains a lot in Portland, and you think you've accepted that fact. However, you must know that that rain will also be very cold, and at some point it will snow." I would follow up with more important aspects though. I would tell myself that making friends will be the least of my worries, and it'll be even harder to say goodbye at the end of the year than it was to meet them in the first place. I would say that the teachers are not nearly as scary as I think they are, not in the slightest, and it's imperative that I work with them during office hours so that I don't fall behind. It's important to call mom and dad because I will miss them. Homework is also important, but studying and knowing the material is even more so. Remember to have fun, but remember that whatever you accumulate throughout the year will have to, somehow, be packed up at the end of it all.

The only thing I find frustrating is that, unfortunately, we seem to seriously lack diversity in our student body. While the majority of students are white, we have an alarmingly small number of students of color, and I think we could do a better job of reaching out to potential students who are people of color and making them feel welcome here.

Ryson

One of the unique things about my school is its location. We get the awesome serenity of nature all around mixed in with just the right amount of the "hustle and bustle" of downtown, which is visible just over the bluff and across the river. It allows for the perfect amount of rest and relaxation from the stresses of work or school. This is a very great place to be young, and also a peaceful and welcoming place to grow old.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend this school is someone who's mind and heart is not truly motivated to obtain a higher level of education. This school costs about $50,000 a year to attend. If someone were to attend this school without the intention of making the most of their education, then they would not be utilizing the schools resources to its maximum potential and therefor not maximizing his or her potential and wasting a big sum of money each year.

If I could give my high school self some college advice, I would start off by saying that this is the time to realize that the small things in high school that were important may not be so important anymore. Going into college will allow you to gain a first hand experience at what is most important for the rest of one's life as an adult and a student at a higher level of education. With the obvious increase in scholarly expectations aside, making the transition into college life will allow you to truly see who you are as a person at large. You must allow yourself to adapt with changes and transform as the surroundings transform, find your passions, and strive to learn what kind of person you are. Don't try to change in order to fit in, but allow the positive natural changes to happen then observe where it will take you, because most likely, there are others that are similar in character, personality, and spirituality. You must also realize that you cannot please everybody, but an honest effort goes a long way. And finally, maintain a healthy support group with your peers and mentors.

Abbey

University of Portland school is unique because of the area we are in. Portland offers so much to young people! There is a bustling downtown fifteen minutes away with coffee shops, pubs, hipster shops, and a constant stream of events such as chocolate festivals or "poetry slams." No matter what type of person you are there is something for you! University of Portland is also in a awesome geographical area. There areas to hike, ski/ snowboard, and an hour away to the beautiful Oregon coast. Needless to say you will never get bored.

The biggest peice of advice I needed to hear about making the transition to college life was that even if you aren't ready to leave home, once you get to college you will fell ready! I was honestly really scared and anxious about going to college but it has been the best two years of my life. Every day I find myself excited to go to class and learn about science from my even more enthusastic proffessors. I also would give the advice to take grasp every opportunity the University offers. Currently I am studying abroad in Fremantle Australia for the semester with two weeks of pre- traveling through New Zealand. I feel like I have been on vacation for 4 months! Through this expierence I have made friends and memories that I will cherish through my whole life. Though at time college can be incredibily challenging I would not change any moment of it. As I high schooler I needed to know that I was about to have the biggest adventure of my life. I would tell myselft to take a deep breath, smile and be excited for what the future holds!

People that just want to earn a college degree should not attend University of Portland. University of Portland professors exspect you to come to office hours, ask thought provoking questions and learn the material in hopes of being the best in your field or study. It is not a school were you can just float through your classes, but a school were you have to be passionate about every class you take. Other than that, anybody can attend University of Portland! The school does not discrimnate racially, ethincally, religously or by sexual oirentation. It is very accepting.

University of Portland administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.