Portland, OR
University of Portland

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Portland

Payton

University of Portland is best known for the amount of service activities its students participate in. There is a large sense of community on campus and everyone is committed to helping each other have the best experience. There are many opportunities to get involved and a variety of service projects offered. Many students participate in service in the immediate community and many students participate in service learning immersions where groups travel to different cities, states and even countries to help serve and reach solidarity with those in need. Without service University of Portland would not be the same amazing school.

If I could travel back in time to when I was a high school senior I would tell myself develop a study strategy that works. When I started college classes my high school study strategies didn't work with the college curriculum. College is much more heavily focused on reading and I had a hard time comprehending some of my textbooks earlier on this year. If I could go back I would work on finding a reading strategy that allowed me to comprehend material that was dense and hard to read. Along with this strategy I would develop a strategy that helped me to review my readings and notes more productively because college is very busy. If I had practiced more college focused study strategies in high school my transition would have been smoother and would have allowed for a less stressful first few months of college.

Somebody who does not like to get involved and build a community would not enjoy attending the University of Portland. Students are very dedicated to helping their peers and taking advantage of as many opportunities as possible. Students strive to create a safe, inspiring environment where everyone feels like they belong. An individual who did not like to build community would have a hard time fitting in because they would be the minority and other students would constantly ask them if they wanted to be involved.

Samuel

At UP the community is really there. It is real, and growing. I have only meet a few people here so far who don't really care about you. Whenever I walk around the quad to classes I see at least one person who will smile and say hi to me. This makes the whole school feel a lot smaller and more personal than it actually is. But in reality, UP is a fairly decent sized school. All in all, UP has become a home for me. The people are amazing, and the environment is one of a kind.

I would tell myself first and foremost to get to know yourself as best as you possibly can. Once you hit college hundreds of opportunities will be thrown at you and everyone will be telling you to sign up for anything and everything. It would have been so helpful for me to have been able to make reasonable choices on what and what not to do. Obvioulsy you will change as the years go by in college, but if you have the insight and discernment to be able to distinguish from you and not so you, it will make all the difference in your first semesters. With that being said I would also tell myself to not hold back. With so much going on it can be hard to give your all in anything. I wish I could've given my all to what I'm passionate in so much earlier, because it will give you so much joy in your life.

I wish I could have known how much I would be doing! Since I've been here I've had opportunities to get involved in almost every club or organization on campus. It really was a shock compared to the small, rural town I grew up in. I would have prepared myself by being involved more in things at home and in high school. Because here, you get exposed to so many opportunities to grow and to live life. Almost anything you are interested in is available, and if it's not you have the power to make it happen.

If I could give advice to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible, to give serious consideration to what I wanted to do as a professional career, and, most importantly to develop good study habits. I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible because I discovered that after high school, it becomes significantly more difficult to find scholarships, it seems, and there's no harm in applying. I would give more consideration to what I wanted to do with my career because being an undeclared major is stressful, and I think it's better to pursue an interest and make a decision after having previous exposure. The most important thing that I would tell myself is to develop good study habits. In high school, material seemed to come to me more easily and the fact that there is signifantly less pressure. When I got to college, I got a C in General Chemistry in my first semester because I didn't know how to study or take the class seriously. I eventually developed good habits, but that C is now weighing down my GPA .

A hardworking, kind, motivated individual who is open to new experiences would thrive at the University of Portland. The ability to form interpersonal relationships, especially with professors, who will likely recommend them for research positions or internships per the student's capabilities, will give the student a competitive edge.

Erin

A person who does not like to think critically about their beliefs and their lifestyle should not attend the University of Portland. Everyone is required to take philisophy and think critically about life.

Alone. I have spent a lot of time alone. Making friends in high school was easy for me. Cheerleader, lead in the musical, homecoming queen. These are all titled a beared. Going into college, my identity was different; I was no longer all of the things I once thought I was. When I leaped into a university, I had trouble making friends, because it wasn't something I was necessarily used to doing. It was difficult to form relationships, because I'd never really had to. Going back, I would not spend so much time alone. I would go out of my way to talk to people, make connections, and learn about their lives. I would leave my dorm room, get involved in some activites, and stop worrying about the finances of it all. I would advise to be fully present in the moment - don't look back at the good times, and don't look to far ahead with plans and stress. Live in the here and now and get out there and live.

The worst thing is that it is in a rainy area, so walking from class to class can get you really wet sometimes. But it is beautiful when it's sunny!

Emma

My best advice if I could go back in time to high school would be a gentle reminder that it is okay to be homesick. I always heard people saying that homesickness would be a problem that I would need to deal with, but I never thought that it would actually affect me. It was not until I was about to drop out of college at the end of my first semester because I wanted to go home that I realized just how easy it is to become homesick without even realizing it. Not only is it easy, homesickness is also totally natural and fine. Change is not easy for everyone, and learning that I am a person who really dislikes change was more a great learning experience for myself, rather than a miserable time.

The University of Portland is a wonderful school, but it is incredibly expensive to attend. As an out-of-state student, it is very difficult to find the money to attend UP, and as a result sometimes I feel pressured to take more credits than I should or to find more jobs than I need to feel as if I am making the most of my college experience.

While the University of Portland is a Catholic University, it is also incredibly accepting. This is not a college for people who discriminate against peoples of other races, gender identities, or sexual preferences. That type of behavior is not tolerated on this campus, and could easily result in expulsion. People who do not enjoy community service or reaching out into the local community are also discouraged to attend.

Regan

In one sentence, the University of Portland can be described as a small, tight-nit community where you walk outside and run into multiple friends, your professors know who you are and care about your academic success, and school pride runs deep in the veins of everyone on campus.

Looking back on my senior year of high school as a current college freshman, I would tell myself to appreciate lazy days way more. Don't get me wrong; in college, you will still watch copious amounts of Netflix and go to class in sweat pants, but the work load is so much more than anything given in high school. You may have fewer classes in college, yet the amount of studying you must do to outside of class in order to succeed is crazy! While you're procrastinating and watching that next episode on Netflix, you have a feeling that is a mix of guilt, shame and stress looming over you for every minute your textbooks stay closed and your papers aren't typed. Those lazy days in high school when you come home and have no homework are very few and far between in college and should NEVER be taken for granted!

Thinking of the worst thing about my school was a lot harder than I expected it to be; however, I was finally able to think of something! Portland is one of the rainiest cities in America, and myself, coming from California where there is a severe drought, appreciates any rain at all. What really irks me is when the grounds crew runs the sprinklers as soon as the rain stops, or even while it's raining! It is so unnecessary!

Chelsea

The University of Portland is known for their exceptional rates of after graduation jobs. Most students that graduate the University of Portland are givin a job opportunity within 3 months of graduation. Other students have a job lined up before they even graduate. The University of Portland creates hard and well trained emplyees that are very sought after in the job feilds.

The University of Portland offers opportunites that include interships and other netweorking opportunities. As well as, the university is small which allows for one on one experience with staff, teachers, facullty, and other students. The university has an amazing business program that allows for exeptional growth and experience in not just your specific feild of study, but other business feilds as well. Overall the university has an amazing atmosphere that allows for growth in your major and in your life.

Chelsea, College is amazing. You never thought you would like school did you? Well, you do now. You never thought you would find something you're passionate about did you? Well, you have and it's business. You never thought you would find a career did you? Well, youre on track to do so. You never thought you would fit in did you? Well, you're on track to be a residence hall community assistant and leader. You're involved in an immersion trip, and are helping lead events for that. You never thought you would do well in your classes did you? Well, youre doing better than you and everyone else expected. You didnt want to go to school? You are, and you're loving it...

The most frustrating thing about the University of Portland is the price of tuition. I come from a family that values independenacy, and as a nineteen year old college student $53,000 a year is hard to come by.

If I could flash back to a year ago I would make sure I knew how important it is to make friends. As you transition to college life it can be lonely, and having a good group of friends helps you make the transition. I would also tell myself that college is not as scary as I thought. Professors care about you and how you are doing in there class; they are not out to get you. I would make sure I knew that homework is a lot of reading, and make sure you read because you will be quizzed weekly. And my final piece of advice would be to get a job even if it is on campus. Having your own money to spend and save (to put towards the abundant amount tuition is).

The best thing about the University of Portland is the nursing program. As a freshman I have already been accepted, and now I just need to maintain a GPA of 2.7 among other things to stay in the program. This is a lot different than most school; most school you have to do your first two years worth of prerequisites and then apply to the nursing school, which can be really stressful. At UP some of the stress of applying to the nursing school for your Junior/Senior year is elevated because they accept you as a freshman.

Quyen

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to choose the college, which is the most appropriate to my career and financial need, rather than the one that is popular to people. Having education is important, but it does not depend on the popularity of the college. Colleges only provide the basic knowledge for you to start your career in life. The important thing is how you learn and take from it. Therefore, it is not worth to put yourself in debt for something that doesn't guarantee your own future.

Friendly people, small class-size, easy to connect with professors.

It is located on the hill, so there are not too many foodcards around. Thus, it is un-convenient to buy food.

Alyson

The classrooms contain at maximum 50 students. This allows us individuals to form relationships with our professors. This is hugely important, because they will be able to further your education. They can offer advice, give you job opportunities, help you find research, and they highly encourage you to visit office hours. They truly want to get to know each one of us. This would not be possible in a classroom of 300 students seen at many public universities.

There is no point to stressing out about every little detail. You may not win every scholarship and you may not get into your dream school, but as long as you stay dedicated to your goals and true to yourself things will work out. The school you attend will do their best to insure you can afford you can go there. So do not worry so much about the finacial aspect and focus on going to the place that will make you happy whether that is a university, community college, trade school, or work. Everything will work out. Keep a clear mind and always remember to do what makes you happy regardless of the sacrifices it might take.

The best thing about the University of Portland is the sense of community. Many prospective students woud shy at the fact that it is a small Catholic school, but there is so much to benefit from that aspect. The religious faculty are always warm and welcoming regardless of your religious background. You get to meet and know almost everyone. While that seems daunting now it is extremely important when you are job marketing in the future. The community not only helps you feel welcomed, but it provides you with the resources to get you a job in the future.

University of Portland administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.