Portland, OR
University of Portland

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Portland

The most frustrating thing about the University of Portland is the price of tuition. I come from a family that values independenacy, and as a nineteen year old college student $53,000 a year is hard to come by.

If I could flash back to a year ago I would make sure I knew how important it is to make friends. As you transition to college life it can be lonely, and having a good group of friends helps you make the transition. I would also tell myself that college is not as scary as I thought. Professors care about you and how you are doing in there class; they are not out to get you. I would make sure I knew that homework is a lot of reading, and make sure you read because you will be quizzed weekly. And my final piece of advice would be to get a job even if it is on campus. Having your own money to spend and save (to put towards the abundant amount tuition is).

The best thing about the University of Portland is the nursing program. As a freshman I have already been accepted, and now I just need to maintain a GPA of 2.7 among other things to stay in the program. This is a lot different than most school; most school you have to do your first two years worth of prerequisites and then apply to the nursing school, which can be really stressful. At UP some of the stress of applying to the nursing school for your Junior/Senior year is elevated because they accept you as a freshman.

Quyen

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to choose the college, which is the most appropriate to my career and financial need, rather than the one that is popular to people. Having education is important, but it does not depend on the popularity of the college. Colleges only provide the basic knowledge for you to start your career in life. The important thing is how you learn and take from it. Therefore, it is not worth to put yourself in debt for something that doesn't guarantee your own future.

Friendly people, small class-size, easy to connect with professors.

It is located on the hill, so there are not too many foodcards around. Thus, it is un-convenient to buy food.

Alyson

The classrooms contain at maximum 50 students. This allows us individuals to form relationships with our professors. This is hugely important, because they will be able to further your education. They can offer advice, give you job opportunities, help you find research, and they highly encourage you to visit office hours. They truly want to get to know each one of us. This would not be possible in a classroom of 300 students seen at many public universities.

There is no point to stressing out about every little detail. You may not win every scholarship and you may not get into your dream school, but as long as you stay dedicated to your goals and true to yourself things will work out. The school you attend will do their best to insure you can afford you can go there. So do not worry so much about the finacial aspect and focus on going to the place that will make you happy whether that is a university, community college, trade school, or work. Everything will work out. Keep a clear mind and always remember to do what makes you happy regardless of the sacrifices it might take.

The best thing about the University of Portland is the sense of community. Many prospective students woud shy at the fact that it is a small Catholic school, but there is so much to benefit from that aspect. The religious faculty are always warm and welcoming regardless of your religious background. You get to meet and know almost everyone. While that seems daunting now it is extremely important when you are job marketing in the future. The community not only helps you feel welcomed, but it provides you with the resources to get you a job in the future.

Goshina

The student body is probably the best thing about the University of Portland. They are a well-rounded, diverse, and successful unit. Being in an environment with such a large amount of motivated students makes it that much more encouraging to work to my full potential. The students are actually more competitive with themselves and helpful with those around them. This kind of support makes the University of Portland a very comfortable place of education.

If I could sit across myself as a high school student, I would advise myself to welcome change as opposed to resisting it. In high school, I truly believed that I knew everything I needed to about myself. The stubbornness and ignorance that can stem from this level of pride can be damaging to one’s character before it evens gets a chance to develop. As I noticed my interests changing, I turned the other cheek. I didn’t realize that change is quite a rewarding experience. Allowing yourself to change is key in self-discovery, and this is a life-long process. This form of flexibility is part of having a strong sense of self, though the opposite may seem to be true. The world is constantly changing, and we must not stay stagnant, or we risk falling behind. A wise man by the name of George Bernard Shaw said that “the reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” George Bernard Shaw was onto something; a concept that every young adult should be introduced to early on.

The University of Portland has some of the most influential and inspiring people as professors. They are devoted to building relationships with their students and genuinely enjoy teaching them. They teach in an approachable manner while still maintaining respect with their students. The professors at UP make it a point to ensure that their students are getting the help they need and connect them will all possible resources. I have been given the utmost opportunity from my professors and have been pushed to my highest potential because of them.

Cuiping

University of portland is best known of the study abroad program. We have an extensive programs in Asia, Australia, Latin America, and Europe. Most students who came back from the abroad program gave positive views on these program, it challeges you to adapt new enviroment in a short tme of period and expecets you to challege yourself to step pass what you thinkyour limit is, it also prepared them for success; to be success, students believed that we must be able to interacting betweeen multiple cultures and capable of analyzing issues on global level.

If I can go back in time, I would like to tell myself not to worry about anything external factors and fo apply every school that I want. Even though some school that you think you will not be able to get in, but just apply anyway. At least then you will have no regrets in your later life time, gave it an ending to your dream. Failure to get in to your dream school isnot ashame, what is embrasses is the regretion that you do not even have the courage to try. This not only applying to the process of applying colleges, but also to anything in life. We shall have the courage to try and fail because now I believe that failures are a beautiful experience in life that we will refer back in our old age. Which those memories and experiences are what created us to be where we are in the old age.

The worst thing I consider as the worst in University of Portland is the financial aid. Statistically said there are 77% of students applied for need base aid but only 5.5% of students's need were fully met, I understand that in such a small campus it's hard to met everyone's need but I do strongly encourage the staffs and students work together to solve this high tuition fees.

Madison

Love every minute of being surrounded by your childhood friends. College is a new world, and even though high school seems so long, it's not. That said, I would advice myself to have applied for more scholarships. College is not cheap, and every application that you turn in can make a difference. Overall I would have adviced myself to cherish the memories I made in high school and be ready to make new ones.

The most frustrating thing about this school is having to take the core requirements, like Fine Arts and History. Although these core requirements are helpful and make our education more well-rounded they take up a lot of space in schedules. This then makes schedules much more rigorous, and creates an atmosphere that a student must sefficiently plan for. Although it is the most frustrating in the long run, I think it will end up benefitting every student.

Someone that should attend University of Portland, is someone that loves to be in a thriving community. This school is full of amazing individuals that together create an atmosphere that allows for one to be successful. Someone who comes to University of Portland also has to want to be at a small school. The classroom sizes are comparable to high school sizes, and that is not for everyone. Overall a perosn that should come to University of Portland has to be willing to immerse themselves in the new community that is provided.

John

At the University of Portland, every student matters.

At the University of Portland, every student matters.

Being a top school in the west, the nursing and engineering school, the network and assistance available to students,.

Getting one major scholarships doesn't cut it, apply for more scholarships. Always be prepared to work in groups, and volunteer even more than you did. Volunteering is huge in college.

Molly

The University of Portland is best known for its community, location, and focus on educating the whole person. The school has a reputation of having an incredibly warm and inclusive community. People also know of this school because of where it is situated, overlooking the beatufiul city of Portland. And perhaps most importantly, the University of Portland is known for its very deliberate focus on educating the whole person through a liberal arts curriculum. Instead of taking classes just in one discipline, each student takes core classes and different courses through many different departments.

The University of Portland has two very distinct features that make it a unique school. The first is the school's location. It sits overlooking the vibrant city of Portland, while still maintaining a very college feel because of how enclosed the campus is. It is truly the best of both worlds because the city is so close yet separate from the campus location. The second unique thing about this school is the community. It is not simply a place to learn or to live, it is a home to become a part of.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to relax and to trust myself and my abilities. As my senior year of high school ended I was filled with an incredible excitement that could'nt be contained. I was ready for the next phase of my life. However, this excitement was mixed with nervousness. There were so many things that I was unsure of or that I thought would go wrong in college. I had an image of what my life would be like for the next four years and I was scared that college would not meet my expectations. However, now that I have gone through the transition of graduating and starting my undergraduate studies, my advice would be to relax. Expectations should be thrown out the window. Instead of expecting certain things or being nervous, my advice is to live each moment and be as present as possible. To do this, I wish I could go back and tell myself to trust in who I know I am and in my abilities to lead the life that I want to lead.

Yurenia

Now that I’m armed with the knowledge of what to expect from college, some advice I would have given myself would be, “Yuri, give yourself time.” Learn to be patient and not expect for everything to be perfect the first week. Take time to make friends, see what you like and get involved; pursue deep friendships. Don’t be afraid to get to know your professors, they are there to help you succeed. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and take advantage of their office hours; it shows you care about their class and your grades. Most importantly, remember that your main priority is your education. Before deciding to go out exploring your new surroundings, make sure your homework is completed and that you have taken the time to study. I would tell myself to remember that freshman year can be one of the best years of your life if you go into it with the right attitude and a light heart. Take chances, step outside your comfort zone, make long lasting friendships, work hard, and above all become the success you deserve to be. College opens many doors for your career and personal life, chase after them.

Matt

The sense of community on campus. I see at least 15 different people that I know just on my way to class or while getting food. This University is a small, but growing school and there are a ton of great people here that you interact with everyday.

I would tell myself to relax. I would tell myself that everything will work out the way that it is supposed to. There are more important things than grades in life. I was 12th in my class of 273 people and I got into a lot of really good schools, but I wish I would have had more fun in high school and let loose a little more. I would also encourage myself to appreciate those closest to myself. Now that I am here at the University, I realize how important family and friends are as a support system. When I am having mental breakdowns or I have way too much to do and am stressing about it, those are the people that I call because I know I can rely on them. Family is the most important thing you have and it's important to be there for them so that they can be there for you. I would tell myself to have my priorities straight. Make time for family and friends, but don't lose sight of your goal or what you are trying to accomplish. Don't settle for anything and keep believing in yourself.

It's inability to adapt to the changing world. Views about sexual orientation and things like that are changing, but this University has had some issues with that. They are very set in their ways and it doesn't seem like there is always a chance to be free as a college student. Some requirements of the Unviersity are very uncommon in other places such as intervisitation hours and requirements for Theology classes. However, it is a Catholic University, so this is kind of expected.

University of Portland administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.