Portland, OR
University of Portland

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Portland

Darielle

While at first it was hard to be away from home, University of Portland became my home away from home. I am in love with the small class sizes because the students really get to be personal with the professors. I am in love with the small knit community and the strong faith based environment. Overall, the University of Portland is an amazing establishment with so many different and great programs and opportunities.

Alex

The school seems to be focused on money, and building new things, but are we making enough room for students? Nursing school is pretty intimidating. It's actually the scariest thing here. Every little thing and you're threatened to be kicked out of the school. However, my second major is psychology and that is BY FAR the absolute best major here. I have never had a bad psych professor, or a mean psychology professor. They're mind-blowingly good and amazing people.

Matthew

My school is best known for having great nursing, engineering, and business schools. This school is also known for being big on soccer, especially since there is no football team and the team is Division I even though the population of this school is around 4,000. This school is interesting because it is a Catholic, and sort of conservative school however it is on the outskirt of Portland, one of the most liberal cities anyone could find. This school is also known for being small and supportive. Teachers know your name, and recognize when students miss class.

Enjoy the time you have with friends and family at home. Get ready for a different life, new friends, new classes, and a completely new environment. This school is not very diverse, so get ready to see a lot more caucasians than you are used to seeing. Do not be shy in making friends. Feel comfortable, the first friends you make may not be your best friends, but just keep talking to people and you can make some amazing friendships. Also, be adventurous. You do not have a car, so you have to make the most of campus. Climb some trees, even though you are not supposed to, go down to the river to relax, and say yes to every good opportunity. Keep an open mind, but be confident in yourself. However, at the same time, sometimes you just have to stick up for what you believe in, keeping an open mind does not mean letting others corrupt you. Do not look back on regrets, move forward, so many more opportunities will come, just be ready.

I wish I had known how hard it would be to transition to life in college. Everyone only mentions how fun and life-changing college is, however I never really realized until I got to school that I was leaving behind family, friends, and the comfort of home to come here. I am not trying to say that the transition to college life is miserable, I am just saying that the struggles of transitioning should not be ignored. It is often cloudy and rainy here in Portland, and that was hard to adjust to coming from Hawaii.

Payton

University of Portland is best known for the amount of service activities its students participate in. There is a large sense of community on campus and everyone is committed to helping each other have the best experience. There are many opportunities to get involved and a variety of service projects offered. Many students participate in service in the immediate community and many students participate in service learning immersions where groups travel to different cities, states and even countries to help serve and reach solidarity with those in need. Without service University of Portland would not be the same amazing school.

If I could travel back in time to when I was a high school senior I would tell myself develop a study strategy that works. When I started college classes my high school study strategies didn't work with the college curriculum. College is much more heavily focused on reading and I had a hard time comprehending some of my textbooks earlier on this year. If I could go back I would work on finding a reading strategy that allowed me to comprehend material that was dense and hard to read. Along with this strategy I would develop a strategy that helped me to review my readings and notes more productively because college is very busy. If I had practiced more college focused study strategies in high school my transition would have been smoother and would have allowed for a less stressful first few months of college.

Somebody who does not like to get involved and build a community would not enjoy attending the University of Portland. Students are very dedicated to helping their peers and taking advantage of as many opportunities as possible. Students strive to create a safe, inspiring environment where everyone feels like they belong. An individual who did not like to build community would have a hard time fitting in because they would be the minority and other students would constantly ask them if they wanted to be involved.

Samuel

At UP the community is really there. It is real, and growing. I have only meet a few people here so far who don't really care about you. Whenever I walk around the quad to classes I see at least one person who will smile and say hi to me. This makes the whole school feel a lot smaller and more personal than it actually is. But in reality, UP is a fairly decent sized school. All in all, UP has become a home for me. The people are amazing, and the environment is one of a kind.

I would tell myself first and foremost to get to know yourself as best as you possibly can. Once you hit college hundreds of opportunities will be thrown at you and everyone will be telling you to sign up for anything and everything. It would have been so helpful for me to have been able to make reasonable choices on what and what not to do. Obvioulsy you will change as the years go by in college, but if you have the insight and discernment to be able to distinguish from you and not so you, it will make all the difference in your first semesters. With that being said I would also tell myself to not hold back. With so much going on it can be hard to give your all in anything. I wish I could've given my all to what I'm passionate in so much earlier, because it will give you so much joy in your life.

I wish I could have known how much I would be doing! Since I've been here I've had opportunities to get involved in almost every club or organization on campus. It really was a shock compared to the small, rural town I grew up in. I would have prepared myself by being involved more in things at home and in high school. Because here, you get exposed to so many opportunities to grow and to live life. Almost anything you are interested in is available, and if it's not you have the power to make it happen.

If I could give advice to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible, to give serious consideration to what I wanted to do as a professional career, and, most importantly to develop good study habits. I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible because I discovered that after high school, it becomes significantly more difficult to find scholarships, it seems, and there's no harm in applying. I would give more consideration to what I wanted to do with my career because being an undeclared major is stressful, and I think it's better to pursue an interest and make a decision after having previous exposure. The most important thing that I would tell myself is to develop good study habits. In high school, material seemed to come to me more easily and the fact that there is signifantly less pressure. When I got to college, I got a C in General Chemistry in my first semester because I didn't know how to study or take the class seriously. I eventually developed good habits, but that C is now weighing down my GPA .

A hardworking, kind, motivated individual who is open to new experiences would thrive at the University of Portland. The ability to form interpersonal relationships, especially with professors, who will likely recommend them for research positions or internships per the student's capabilities, will give the student a competitive edge.

Erin

A person who does not like to think critically about their beliefs and their lifestyle should not attend the University of Portland. Everyone is required to take philisophy and think critically about life.

Alone. I have spent a lot of time alone. Making friends in high school was easy for me. Cheerleader, lead in the musical, homecoming queen. These are all titled a beared. Going into college, my identity was different; I was no longer all of the things I once thought I was. When I leaped into a university, I had trouble making friends, because it wasn't something I was necessarily used to doing. It was difficult to form relationships, because I'd never really had to. Going back, I would not spend so much time alone. I would go out of my way to talk to people, make connections, and learn about their lives. I would leave my dorm room, get involved in some activites, and stop worrying about the finances of it all. I would advise to be fully present in the moment - don't look back at the good times, and don't look to far ahead with plans and stress. Live in the here and now and get out there and live.

The worst thing is that it is in a rainy area, so walking from class to class can get you really wet sometimes. But it is beautiful when it's sunny!

Emma

My best advice if I could go back in time to high school would be a gentle reminder that it is okay to be homesick. I always heard people saying that homesickness would be a problem that I would need to deal with, but I never thought that it would actually affect me. It was not until I was about to drop out of college at the end of my first semester because I wanted to go home that I realized just how easy it is to become homesick without even realizing it. Not only is it easy, homesickness is also totally natural and fine. Change is not easy for everyone, and learning that I am a person who really dislikes change was more a great learning experience for myself, rather than a miserable time.

The University of Portland is a wonderful school, but it is incredibly expensive to attend. As an out-of-state student, it is very difficult to find the money to attend UP, and as a result sometimes I feel pressured to take more credits than I should or to find more jobs than I need to feel as if I am making the most of my college experience.

While the University of Portland is a Catholic University, it is also incredibly accepting. This is not a college for people who discriminate against peoples of other races, gender identities, or sexual preferences. That type of behavior is not tolerated on this campus, and could easily result in expulsion. People who do not enjoy community service or reaching out into the local community are also discouraged to attend.

Regan

In one sentence, the University of Portland can be described as a small, tight-nit community where you walk outside and run into multiple friends, your professors know who you are and care about your academic success, and school pride runs deep in the veins of everyone on campus.

Looking back on my senior year of high school as a current college freshman, I would tell myself to appreciate lazy days way more. Don't get me wrong; in college, you will still watch copious amounts of Netflix and go to class in sweat pants, but the work load is so much more than anything given in high school. You may have fewer classes in college, yet the amount of studying you must do to outside of class in order to succeed is crazy! While you're procrastinating and watching that next episode on Netflix, you have a feeling that is a mix of guilt, shame and stress looming over you for every minute your textbooks stay closed and your papers aren't typed. Those lazy days in high school when you come home and have no homework are very few and far between in college and should NEVER be taken for granted!

Thinking of the worst thing about my school was a lot harder than I expected it to be; however, I was finally able to think of something! Portland is one of the rainiest cities in America, and myself, coming from California where there is a severe drought, appreciates any rain at all. What really irks me is when the grounds crew runs the sprinklers as soon as the rain stops, or even while it's raining! It is so unnecessary!

Chelsea

The University of Portland is known for their exceptional rates of after graduation jobs. Most students that graduate the University of Portland are givin a job opportunity within 3 months of graduation. Other students have a job lined up before they even graduate. The University of Portland creates hard and well trained emplyees that are very sought after in the job feilds.

The University of Portland offers opportunites that include interships and other netweorking opportunities. As well as, the university is small which allows for one on one experience with staff, teachers, facullty, and other students. The university has an amazing business program that allows for exeptional growth and experience in not just your specific feild of study, but other business feilds as well. Overall the university has an amazing atmosphere that allows for growth in your major and in your life.

Chelsea, College is amazing. You never thought you would like school did you? Well, you do now. You never thought you would find something you're passionate about did you? Well, you have and it's business. You never thought you would find a career did you? Well, youre on track to do so. You never thought you would fit in did you? Well, you're on track to be a residence hall community assistant and leader. You're involved in an immersion trip, and are helping lead events for that. You never thought you would do well in your classes did you? Well, youre doing better than you and everyone else expected. You didnt want to go to school? You are, and you're loving it...

University of Portland administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.