Portland, OR
University of Portland

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Portland

Teresa

University of Portland, which is a small Holy Cross institution, is filled with professors who truly care about their students, students who take their education very seriously yet still make time for fun, and staff members that go to great measures to ensure that the students are receiving the ultimate educational college experience.

I brag most about the location and the academic merit of the nursing school. Portland is an amazing city to live in, as there are endless opportunities and fun things to do. I like to boast about the fact the University of Portland has its own secluded campus (a beautiful campus, might I add), yet it is still a short bus ride away from downtown. The nursing program here is one of the best in the country, so it's hard not to brag about the quality of education I am receiving.

I would advise my high school-self to take advantage of all the opportunities that interest me as soon as I arrive on campus. When I first got to college, I didn't make an effort to get involved in activities on campus right away because I was too concerned about my academic studies and wasn't sure if I would be able to handle extra-curriculars as well. As a result, I feel as though I missed out on a lot of opportunities that I would have enjoyed and friendships that I would have made. Now, however, I am involved in so many ways on campus and I constantly seek out more opportunities. Although this makes me much busier, it causes me to be much more efficient with my time. More importantly, it gives me a break from my studies and allows me to participate in activities that I love.

Mara Ann

At University of Portland, there is a real sense of community, compassion, and passion. Students who go here care about their peers, and have the drive and desire to accomplish their life goals. You can't feel alone on this campus; everywhere you walk, you are likely to run into a familiar, or at least friendly, face, whether it be a friend, a classmate, a professor, or other faculty.

If I could tell my high school self one thing, it would to never be afraid to be open, to be vulnerable, to new experiences. Coming from high school, where people tended to have a specific group of friends and acitivities, it can be overwhelming to come to college, where there are hundreds of opportunities. But all those opportunities are for growth; they can help you to learn so much about yourself. It's ok to try new activities, and not hang out with the same people all the time. Do the things you love, and show love and appreciation for your friends, but never be afraid or closed off to new chances. You can never know whether a new club, a new set of people, or even a class that is out of your major or comfort zone can affect your worldview, your identity, and your life in a positive way.

I love to tell them how genuine people are at my school. People that I don't even know go out of their way to help not only me but others in the UP community. There's an openess to other people that I don't think you always get at other schools. I am constantly meeting and learning amazing things from new people on my campus.

Chloe

Dear past self. I know what you're thinking: how on Earth can I be talking to my future self? But just listen for a moment, because this is important. First semester of college is going to be tough, but don't give up. Remember that you're doing this for you, not your parents. They love you very much but they aren't always right and they don't always know what's best for you. Just focus on doing your best- and it doesn't matter if they think your best has to be an A, because it won't always be. It's okay to get B's, as long as you do your best. And only you know what your best is. As long as you're learning, mistakes aren't failures. And, most importantly, do what YOU want to do. This is about your life, your future. So don't let anyone else hold you back. Follow your dreams. You'll stumble a bit, but as long as you keep going, it's a win. So enjoy your time in college- it'll go by fast. But remember that the best is yet to come.

I wish that I would've known I wanted to be an environmental science major from the very beginning, and that I wanted to go into that field so I could research internships from the start.

It rains a lot. And I'm currently in my sixth semester here, and I have not had a non-white professor. I've only even seen one non-white professor.

Cora

I haven't started school there but the campus is beautiful and not to spread out. All of the staff I've interacted with have been wonderful.

I don't start there for another week so I haven't met my classmates yet.

Hayley

My fellow classmates are kind and fun to navigate college with, all while pulling their own weight in group projects as well as being helpful and understanding.

I would give myself a few pieces of advice. The first regarding the college process as I was incredibly hesitant to attend a university that was affiliated with a religion as I did not want a religion forced on me. I have discovered that religious affiliations do not matter and are rather a bonus that put an influence on the university to do all that it can to bring their students success, just as mine has. Secondly, I would tell my high school self that making solid friendships is a lot more difficult to do, especially after maintaining only a few for years. I went to a school where I did not know anyone going in and I’m still trying to find a couple of solid, lets-spend-time-together friends. Lastly, I would tell myself to take as many duel credit and AP classes as possible because they are a thousand times cheaper than paying for them during college.

I sprained my ankle once and went to the Health Center to be treated. Instead of receiving the help that I should have, I was told that all available appointment spaces were full and was told to go to ZoomCare which is off campus. I could neither walk or drive anywhere, nor did I have a car or have a solid understanding of the bus system at the time. I was definitely disappointed and frustrated with the lack of help I received from them. Thankfully my Hall Director was kind enough to drive me to the hospital and back.

Abigail

Imagine everyone working together harmoneously, giving everything they've got to achieve the bigger goal of helping those in need; those are my classmates.

While looking at universities my parents and I didn't go about it the normal way; instead, we picked a few random colleges that had been highly recommended and started to apply. You see my family and I didn’t know much about the universities in America since we were from England, but when I stepped onto the University of Portland’s campus, something clicked. It was small yet big, close but far, and most importantly everyone seemed close-knit. Everything is enclosed by the bluff which gives it a neighborhood feel; it’s homelike.

You have absolutely no idea what’s ahead of you. Yes, it’s amazing, but there are also hardships. For instance, even though you think you won’t get homesick, you will. You will also be dealing with all-nighters, last minute cramming before a test, and yes, the inevitable final exams. But do you know what? It’s worth it because you are going to make a difference. So ignore every single person who has told you you’re not good enough, that you’re not going anywhere, and that you need to change because you don’t! You are going to be the change you want to see, not the change others want you to be! College is a place for new adventures; this is the time in your life to truly dream. Anything you set your mind to you can do as long as you don’t let anything else hinder your longing for a better tomorrow.

Darielle

The transition to college from high school is a tough one, especially if you are not from the area. I wish I knew how homesick I would become, or how hard it would be to adjust. Another important lesson to know is while college is a time for new experiences, it does help to have someone you know with you. If you don't, then it is important to make friends. While college at first is difficult, it does eventually get better.

I really enjoy the small community University of Portland provides. Since there are around 4,000 students on campus, the students get to really know their classmates. Along with that, I enjoy the small classroom sizes because the teachers get to know the students personally and the student in return gets a better understanding and a full educational experience. I enjoy how the classes challenge the students to think outside the box. Lastly, I enjoy the family community and school pride the University gives.

At first, you are going to hate it. You are going to miss your parents, your family, and your home. But as the days go on, you'll realize you are now an adult. You are entirely responsible for your actions. You are going to realize there is a bigger purpose for all of this. The transition gets easier and by the time you know it, you have adjusted. There are times when you want to go home and quit, but remember the reasons and the sacrifices made for you. Make friends and surround yourself with people who will make you forget about being sad. Don't be afraid to ask your professors or upperclassmen for help. Try new experiences, join some clubs, and don't overwork yourself. The workload may seem like a lot, but trust me, it is not impossible. College is a time for new changes, so do not be afraid to make them. Yes, it will be horrible at first. But with time, friends, and a few Facetime calls home, you will be able to get through it.

MADDISON

University of Portland is known for many different things, such as the School of Nursing and the Shiley School of Engeering but really what stands out is the Shepard Freshman Resourse Center. It's a unique place that is designed to help freshman. Not many schools offer such a place. The Freshman Resource Center is known for making sure that freshman succeed and shows that students really do come first.

I would tell myself not to be so timd and get out there to do something that you usually would never do. I would explain that college is very different from high school and it won't be a drag everyday. If you take step outside your box you will end meeting people who will change your life and learn to enjoy life again. I would also explain that if you are given an opportunity take it, these are the time you will never get back so you might as well as make to the most out of it. I also make it clear that this is the chance you have been wanting, that you are finally away from everything so just do your best and at the end of the day you will be happy.

I wish I would of know how kind and caring the professors really are, they really just want you to try your best and succeed. In high school teachers are always telling us the negative parts, if your late to class you get locked out of class and if you are sick you never get a chance to make it up. At time you may get a professor like that but a lot of the time they just want you to do your best. If I had know this about my professors they would not of seem so intimidating.

Marcella

Hard working coffee addicts with minds set on attaining a degree, a job, and ultimately financical stability.

The best on campus food in the northwest, nursing and engineering schools, and our magnificent bell tower.

Well well, look at you. You eat three square meals a day, you go to bed no later than 10:30 on weekdays, and you get in class homework time. Love it. Eat it up (literally if it's homemade food, because you'll miss that one for sure), soak it all in and bask in a world where you're topping off a solid foundation, taking enjoyable classes and living the good life at the top of the high school food chain. Embrace the freedom to slack off on that one homework assignment a little, and don't stress out so much about tests that make up less than twenty five percent of your grade. Enjoy the last year, but don't worry so much about which school you like, don't worry so much about leaving home. Yeah, it won't be that easy, but at the end of the day when you're choming down on the same salad you've had three days in a row while working on physics homework, you'll come to an important realization - you will be okay.

Ashira

I would tell myself that college is much better and harder than highschool. You get to choose when you have class and for the most part what classes you can take. You buy your own food and are able to get a job on campus. I would advise myself to be more social with other students and be able to ask questions in class. Or at least use office hours if needed. I would also have advised myself not to spend so much time in my room watching tv and listening to music. I would advise myself that college is much more time consuming than high school ever was and therfore I would focus more on studying. I would have also advised myself to take breaks in between tasks rather than trying to crame 40 pages of reading into an hour. The most important piece of advice I would give my highschool self is to be more confident in my ability to succeed and never let anyone put me down.

I wish I would have known about the orginzation of the school and how the food system works. I also wish I would have known how to get a job in the libarby because that was the job I really wanted. I also wish I would have known how kind everyone is and how focused the University is on nursing and engineering and how many credits each class is worth. They are either worth 1 or 3 credits not 4 so students need to take more classes to earn enough credits and it can be overwhelming.

A student who knows what they want to major in. Students who are hard working independent people who strive for excellence. Students that have a good, upbeat, kind personality because everyone at University of Portland is extremely nice. I have yet to meet a rude student. Ideally the type of the student that should attend is a student that has enough money or recieved enough financial aid.

University of Portland administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.