Portland, OR
University of Portland

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Portland

Ashira

I would tell myself that college is much better and harder than highschool. You get to choose when you have class and for the most part what classes you can take. You buy your own food and are able to get a job on campus. I would advise myself to be more social with other students and be able to ask questions in class. Or at least use office hours if needed. I would also have advised myself not to spend so much time in my room watching tv and listening to music. I would advise myself that college is much more time consuming than high school ever was and therfore I would focus more on studying. I would have also advised myself to take breaks in between tasks rather than trying to crame 40 pages of reading into an hour. The most important piece of advice I would give my highschool self is to be more confident in my ability to succeed and never let anyone put me down.

I wish I would have known about the orginzation of the school and how the food system works. I also wish I would have known how to get a job in the libarby because that was the job I really wanted. I also wish I would have known how kind everyone is and how focused the University is on nursing and engineering and how many credits each class is worth. They are either worth 1 or 3 credits not 4 so students need to take more classes to earn enough credits and it can be overwhelming.

A student who knows what they want to major in. Students who are hard working independent people who strive for excellence. Students that have a good, upbeat, kind personality because everyone at University of Portland is extremely nice. I have yet to meet a rude student. Ideally the type of the student that should attend is a student that has enough money or recieved enough financial aid.

Catharine

It is a very open and friendly enviroment.

It is a very open and friendly enviroment.

To the young and naive Catie, I know you went through a lot your senior year of high school. You were focused on so many other things, go into some trouble, had a lot of fun and you knew you were going to go to college no matter what. You were already accepted into UP in December! And trust me, it'll be awful for the first few months. You're moving from gorgeous sunny Southern California to well, to the Pacific Northwest. The two things you need to know the most is that you are going to do just fine in Portland. You'll make some amazing friends and truly find a good path to follow. However, study hard, focus on those studies and fight for financial aid. Those are your biggest worries, do not brush them aside. Work hard for scholarships, study hard and remember you'll love it.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, i would tell myself to stop being overconfident. As a high school senior, I graduated at the top of my class, I was an International Baccalaureate Diploma Candidate and I also earned a high school diploma in music. As a result, I believed that I was overly prepared for college and that the first year of college would be a piece of cake. However, by the middle of the first semester of college, I realized that because of my cockiness, I had slacked off in my studies and was not doing as well as I could be doing. This led me scrambling to pick up my grades and my stress-level drastically increased. Although I still managed to finish the semester with a decent GPA (3.73), it would have been much less stressful and my GPA would have been much higher if I was not overconfident about my academic abilities.

Before I came to this school, I wish I would have known that there would be a lot of attractive young men on campus. I never knew how hard it was to focus on my studies until now. On a more serious note, I also wish I would have known that I would have to take 9 credits worth of theology. I was mentally prepared to handle one class, but now that I realized I need 9 credits, its making me a bit apprehensive.

The best thing about my school is the sense of community. When I first started college, my greatest fear was making friends and fitting in. However, I quickly realized that it was actually easier to make friends in college than it was in high school. It is absolutely incredible to know that you have friends, professors, and mentors that truly care about your well-being and education. I have never felt more at home than when I am on campus.

Serenity

My school has a ton of free resources and opportunities. It's also located in a great area because it's near many different engineering companies that hire for internships as well as full time jobs and they are always looking at University of Portland students.

The most frustrating thing is keeping track of all the deadlines along with school events happening because there are so many that you don't even know about.

For me, I was always a very determined student when it came to academics but I would advise my high school self to plan ahead better. I would say to think more about the future and what college was right for me rather than leaving the decision until the last minute. I would say to apply for as many scholarships and grants as possible because money can make all the difference in your education past high school. Since I didn't focus as much on scholarships as I should have, I now have taken out the maximum amount of loans that I can and may not be able to afford the school of my choice after my freshman year. Also, I would say to be open to new experiences and know that it is okay to be away from home because there will be many new people there to support you and you can always visit home. Going away for college is the best decision you could make and trying more new things wouldn't hurt. Join clubs and go to school events to meet new people and you'll never be alone.

Be willing to put yourself out there; whether that is in class, meeting new people or networking in your professional field. In high school it is so easy to get caught up in what's cool or not cool, who you are supposed to be friends with, etc., but don't let that carry over into college. College is great oppotunity to meet and socialize with people you may have never come into contact with otherwise. Utilize this oppotunity to learn about other cultures, traditions, professional interests, hobbies, or whatever it may be, and then take that information and use it for your own personal developement and growth. Dont ever overlook someone just because they don't fit into the catagory of who you typically would be friends with. Every single individual has something unique and valuable that they can bring to the table, including yourself. Be someone who looks for that value in other people and you might be surpised what you learn about yourself as well along the way. Best of luck!

University of Portland is home to a wide variety of "types" of people. In general, I think if someone is looking to grow as an individual and be pushed academically and professionally by their professors and peers, University of Portland is a great choice. That being said, in order to reap those benefits, as a student, you must be willing to go above and beyond what is expected and be willing to utilize the oportunities available; they are not just given to you.

University of Portland does not have the social atmosphere of say a large state school, or a school with a greek system. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of opportunities for socializing, meeting new people and having fun at the University of Portland but if as a prospective student you are looking to live it up party style and have the craziest time of your life, this school probably isn't for you.

Linda

It doesn't matter what the name of the school is. Don't try to get into an Ivy League (or something similarily competitive), it'll be a waste of your time, tears, and money because in the end we all get the same degree that does the same things. The only thing that is different is the amount of money spent and quality of education you get. If you go to a public university or somewhere that's considered "easier", that's cool. It might even be better, just make sure to make the most of your education and experience. Make the learning experience top notch even if the school is not. And most of all, you don't have to be a doctor or be a bio major! Realize early on if you are a good fit for your major and will succeed, and make the right adjustments! Don't be afraid to ask for help and admit you need a lot of it, otherwise you'll fail some classes. Don't get too distracted (with boys)! Discipline yourself, learn how to study early on, have fun, don't lose your smile.

The smallness of the campus. It creates a more intimate learning and social environment. Smaller class sizes allows for greater discussion and learning. There's a sense of pride and togetherness in being a Pilot. The soccer games are also pretty great.

The smallness of the school. Sometimes it feels like some classes are too big and the administration couldn't adjust for the increasing number of students. Because the school is so small it's sometimes hard to find new people and new things. People tend to make friend/social groups, like cliques and stay in those groups. There's also a small amount of racial, cultural, and political diversity, which is limiting to students' and the school's progress. It's a very Catholic minded school and administration, which can be oppressive to other students and faculty.

Marissa

The best thing about the University of Portland is the environment it is in. Portland is such a youth friendly place, and the career and life opportunities it holds are unlimited.

In all honesty, college students’ lives are unnecessarily complicated. My advice to you? In order to make the smoothest transition into college, be uncomplicated. The best way to do that is to take advantage of your resources. You’re going to a place where every professor, faculty member, staff member, every administrator is set and ready to help you succeed at their university. Even upperclassmen get in on the action. Please please please do not be reluctant to ask for help. Going about any problem by yourself can be so much more difficult than necessary. There are people near you who’s jobs are to solve your problems and make your transition, and life, much easier. Please, take advantage of whatever help you can find, because it will be the determining factor of whether you become stronger or fall apart during your first year at college.

At UP, there are so many faculty members that are willing to support you throughout your entire college life. If you are one of the few who needs no guidance while you enter the world of independence, feel free to pick any college. But if you want a learning experience, not just by furthering your education but furthering your life skills, the University of Portland is the place for you..

Allison

There is a wide variety of people at U of P. That is one of my favorite things about this school. However, there are the few that attend large state schools such as Oregon State or the University of Oregon for social reasons as well as academic. While a good support system is important, there is more to college than parties and social gatherings. I feel that U of P has rather rigorous courses, so the students who attend should be very commited to their school work.

Dear sixteen-year-old Alli, If only you knew then what I knew now. How many times have you heard dad say that? Well it's true. Sure high school prepares you for, and gets you into college, but college determines the rest of your life. In college, it's important to take risks. Join a club, go out with friends, approach a teacher. Everyone on campus is there to help you. I used to be horrible about reaching out to people when I needed help. Don't be afraid to do that. What high school doesn't teach you is money management. You're about to embark on a debt-accumulating journey at a private university. Save all the money you can, and spend it wisely. You probably don't need that new pair of Adidas, or that really cute sweater. One more thing: remember how shy you were in high school? Don't be afraid to cut loose and be real. You have a beautiful soul, and people can't wait to get to know you. Do everyone a favor and introduce yourself. I can't wait to see where life takes you, Alli

Before I came to the University of Portland, I wish I would have known how important it is to develop good study habits. I am one of the kids that made it through highschool with only minimal amounts of studying, so I lacked the skills that would help me succeed on tests. I've learned the hard way how important it is to turn off the music, sit somewhere quiet, turn off my phone, and focus only on what is infront of me.

James

I'd say that the best thing by far about my school is the sense of community. Literally everyone is open and friendly and willing to include you. Each dorm is great and you can easily find people that are you can become freinds with. Campus Ministry is also fun and inviting but there is so much more than that. The way that the University organizes the freshman classes really makes it easy to get to know fellow students in similar majors and become friends with them.

Don't worry about the transtion. It's nerve wracking and easy to assume that you won't make any friends or that you're going to hate your roommate. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to relax and let all those worries fall away. You are at the start of what's going to be a great year. You're going to meet a lot of new people and you're not going to becoming friends with everyone, but that doesn't matter. It doesn't matter because you will honestly make so many new friends that you're going to feel like sometimes you don't have enough time to see them all. So just relax and enjoy this last year of high school because you're about to start on the most exciting time of your life.

If you are the kind of person looking for a big school that you can lose youreself in, then this isn't the school for you. The University of Portland is a small school where at times it seems like everyone knows everyone. You also shouldn't come to this school if you're looking for a party everyday. There are a lot of things you can do to entertain yourself with your friends but generally you can't just find some random house party to walk into.

Alicia

A small school that is accomadating to every students needs.

A small school that is accomadating to every students needs.

I would advise every high school senior to go into college with an opened mind ready to learn. Most importantly, take advantage of your resources, and learn how to learn!

I would like to see more healthier options in the on-campus cafeterias, as well as longer hours.

University of Portland administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.