Portland, OR
University of Portland

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Portland

Summer

The University of Portland is very academically driven with an excellent nursing program. At other schools I applied to, I would not have been accepted into the nursing program as a freshman. Since I am already accepted, the pressure and competition with fellow classmates is relieved. All nursing majors are already in the program too, so we all work together and are very united. We are able to strive for the same goals and high test scores without worrying about someone taking our place in the program. In this aspect, UP is unique by creating a tight knit community.

Having a younger brother makes answering this question even more realistic. Often times, when giving him advice, I try to shed light on areas that I wish I had known more about even just a year ago. As a college student who successfully made the transition, I would want myself to know that all of the hard work I had done in high school was completely worth it. Studying for tests when others did not and going above and beyong on homework assignments taught me irreplaceable information refarding time management. I would tell myself to keep pushing through the stress and to keep being myself because even when high school can be distracting, ultimately, being prepared for college is completely worth it. On a final note, I would tell myself to not take myself too seriously. Senior year, it was hard for me to not be completely stern about everything from school to allotting time for friends. I would say that although it is important to time manage wotk, it is just as important to make time for fun.

At the University of Portland, students should be individuals who strive for excellence and who want to be part of a close community. Since campus is small, the University of Portland provides an amazing opportunity to get to know the majority of class mates. In addition, professors are able to be contacted by email or in person as needed. Due to this, students at UP should be outgoing and academic individuals. They also should be people who like being involved in small and fun on campus activities like movies, trivia nights, and other low key events.

Teresa

Attending the University of Portland is not just about graduating and getting a degree. The welcoming and accepting students, the extra-curricular opportunities, and the unique city of Portland help create a school that attracts all types of students. The small size of this school is perfect for those students who want to develop a stronger connection with their professors and peers on this picturesque campus in the beautiful, Pacific Northwest.

Get to know people. Seriously. Transitioning to college can be an overwhelming time in your life. Even though it might be awkward and uncomfortable, make yourself talk to new people. Chat up that person sitting next to you in your Intro to Philosophy class, say hi to the student in the dorm across the hall from you, ask your professors for help on that paper you are struggling with. Becoming more confident in who you are as a student on your campus will make your college experience so much more rewarding. In those first few weeks, and especially during orientation, get to know the people around you. You will probably feel out of place, lost, and fairly nervous. And so will everyone else. So take the plunge and you just might meet some incredible people.

Looking back at my first few years of college, I wish that I had known more about what I wanted to study or the career path I wanted to take. I am starting my junior year and just chose my major this past semester. Fitting in the rest of my required classes is going to be a challenge and I wish that I had more clearly planned out my four years when I first started.

Madeleine

University of Portland is a smaller, close knit, very spirited school with a learning environment that encourages student success and enjoyment of their studies.

Do not worry too much. Be excited, and let your excitement fuel your ambition to keep up on your studies but also to make new friends. Moving is hard, especially when you know nobody, but do not be afraid to just find someone to go to the soccer game, study with, or go to lunch with. Making friends will be extremely helpful in all parts of life including studying and just having someone to hang out with or talk to. Also, do not be afraid to make mistakes. That's what college is for. Take a class you're not sure about or one that isn't related to your major but sounds fun. Explore the city, and take a break from studying every once in a while so that you do not overwhelm yourself. College is about making mistakes to find out what you like, who you are, and what you should or shouldn't do. Just enjoy it and take it all in. As cliche as some of this sounds, it really is true, so do not just ignore it or glance over it because these things are actaully important.

A person very biased against a religous community probably wouldn't thrive here because of the strong catholic influence here. A person that does not do enough studying to keep up in class because they will start to struggle. Also, if a student is looking for a school with big parties with fraternities and sororites and that kind of activities, this probably isn't the place for them. There are things to do, but not related to that, and not nearly as big.

Joanna

The University of Portland is a very friendly and welcoming campus that offers students many opportunities to grow academically, socially, and spiritualty if they so wish.

Students at the University of Portland are very supportative and encouraging both in and out of the classroom. They student body at the University of Portland is made up of very down to earth and compassionate people.

If I were to go back to this time last year and give myself some advice about my upcoming college adventure, my best piece of encouragement would to be to stop worrying about the small things in life. This has been the biggest lesson I have learned during my time away in college, and it was something that would have made me more successful in high school. The four years of college go by so fast, and if you are stuck worrying about the small, trivial details of life, you are going to miss out on some of the opportunities college has to offer you. I would aslo encourage myself to go into this new adventure with self confidence. When you embark on this adventure, you leave home and it's comforts behind. You are really out on your own, and if you are not confident in yourself, no one around you is going to be. Self confidnece will bring you success in your academic, social, and career oriented goals.

London

The professors at my school are phenomenal. I love each class for the mere fact that I get to engage and meet a new professor. Each one has their own unique way of teaching and I have not met a single professor yet who hasn't tried to push me to do more than I thought possible. Then, the reward of having done well on an assignment and the knowledge that the professsor was able to watch you grow and aid in that situation is amazing.

The worst thing associated with the University of Portland is also the best think about the school and this is the size. While it is great to have small classroom sizes and actually be able to engage with the Professors, it can also feel like high school because basically everyone knows everyone. Whatever you do is quickly spread throughout the student body and before you know it, others know "information" about you before you even know said information. Sometimes the size can be a hinderance.

As a high school senior I would tell myself not to stress so much about moving and going off to college. Essentially, what is meant to be will be as cliche as that sounds. In high school, I was always stressed about having the perfect GPA and never making a mistake but the truth of the matter is mistakes are a key part of life. Yes, I made mistakes my freshman year, I didn't have a perfect GPA, and I skipped a couple classes when I shouldn't have. But that's what is so great about college. People here understand that each student is transitioning in their lives and trying to discover who he or she is. I would tell my high school self to realize that the person I knew then will not be the end result of who I am to become because high school is just the beginning and when it really comes down to it, high school is a very small stage in the rest of your life. The sooner you can be true to yourself, the sooner you will be well of and actually enjoying your life. Just be happy.

Alexis

Someone who doesn't care about school and connecting with others. If you don't like small classes don't come here either

I love the academics, personal focus, school spirit and study abroad opportunities. It's a great school!

Bianca

The University of Portland is a incredibly fun, culturally and ethnically diversed, academiclly challenging college where the students are able to grow as an individual and become an adult, all while reciving an amazing education and having fun through all the activities the Univeristy provides, and also making friends that will last a lifetime.

The best thing about the University of Portland is the quality education a student can recieve. The teachers are incredible because they offer their help to all students and are always available by email and they offer a lot of office hours. The small class sizes make for a better learning envirnoment because it is easier to have a relationship between the student and teacher, rather than being in a class of 100 students. The education recieved here is one of the best, and one could see that just by sitting in one class.

Now having finished my freshman year of college, the advice I would give my high school senior self would be: Be confident. Confidence is such a key assest in growing up and becoming your best self. I have gained so much confidence this past year during freshman year of college and I have never been so happy with myself and life. Confidence is what pushes you to go beyond your comfort level. It allows you to be social and therefore meet some of the most amazing people in your life thus far. It allows you to become a part of so many amazing experiences. Confidence has given me the ability to start this new amazing journey in life, something my old self in high school never would have dreamed of. Going into a whole new place and being the "little freshman" again was not the easiest thing, but confidence made the transition so much easier and worth while. To my high school senior self: We all have our insecurities. Rise above and show the world what you can do. Be confident.

Melissa

A tight-knit community where one will find outgoing, upbeat, and enthusiastic students and faculty that encourage all to become involved on and off campus, particularly with community service.

Limit yourself to only becoming involved in two or three extra curricular activities. No matter what anyone else tells you, you can reach your dreams and goals. Just work hard, stay focused, and continue to self-motivate yourself. You will get there with the help of friends, employers, and faculty members. As you prepare for this transition, be open to new ideas and ways of life. You have been living in a confined bubble for so long, that it may be difficult to adjust, but persevere past the first couple of months and I guarantee it is worth it. You will make life-long friends as long as you put yourself out there and do the things you enjoy doing. Keep going and stay strong- you have got this!

I wish I had known and remembered that I would need school supplies! Sounds silly, but it completely slipped my mind as I prepared for college... I didn't even have a backpack. Luckily a friend let me borrow hers, but just remember--you are going to college and still need basic school supplies in order to succeed!

Johanna

My classmates are outgoing, lively, introspective, intelligent, laidback, engaging and determined. They put others views into perspective and strive to be the best they can be, without giving up their freetime to be the youths they are. A day with them, is like flipping through a traveling magazine, your excited to be with them, and they with you.

DO NOT DOUBT YOURSELF! Stop focusing on everyone else, stop thinking about it. Have a little faith, things have a funny way of working out when you least expect it. Just because you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel does not mean you won't get there. I know things look dark and scary from where you're standing, but you're a fighter, a believer and that's what makes you special. Believe in yourself, believe in your family, believe that whatever you set your mind to you can and will accomplish. Put into practice every single advice you've gotten and for the love of everything...don't stop believing.

The kind of person that should attend this school is one who loves to learn, and is respectful of others. A person who does not judge based on color, economic status, nor manner of expression. Portland is liberal, enjoy and learn from others everything you can. Imposing yourself will only get you disliked by many. Open and welcoming to new experiences and possibilities is the mindset that an individual attending this school should have.

University of Portland administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.