University of Portland

« See more reviews of University of Portland

My classmates come from all sorts of varied backgrounds and cultures, and most are friendly and determined to succeed. There are students from every socioeconomic class and religious background. This variety allows classrooms to be an open place for students to express themeselves and provide different opinions on various issues or topics. Class sizes are small, so it is easy to form close relationships with classmates. Study groups can often transition from classroom topics to social justice issues, and students are usually willing to have an open mind. In class relationships extend past the walls of the classroom.

The stereotype of hipsters in the NW is very apparent at UP. Don't worry though, if you don't fall into this category (I do not) you will be fine. Most people wear jeans, vans, Northface rain jackets, hoodies, and for some reason the nurses find it necessary to dress up everyday. Lots of people wear sweats too and this is totally acceptable. Most students are from WA or OR with a large handful from CA. It is rare that there will be someone from the midwest or east coast.

Most of my classmates were focused, intelligent, dedicated, intense, and nice people. They were willing to join study groups, but were completely focused on how well they do in the course. Most of my classmates were science majors, which means that they are very intense individuals. They know that they must do their best at all times in order to get their perfect grade. This makes sense because most of my classmates were planning on graduate school.

Portland students are introverted. They'll hold doors for you, but they'll never go out of their way to make a new friend. That's what made it hard for me to make friends, but through time, I asserted myself and gained a group of trustworthy people. My peers don't judge and know what it's like to be ridiculed. Though it may be hard to make a friend, once you do, they seem like they'll be with you for the next four years.

The rigor that my classmates approach both their academic and social lives come in many different flavors; for example, some have their heads down in the books their entire four years, some are incredibly outgoing and maybe do not pay enough attention on their schoolwork, but the people I like to surround myself with are those that are shockingly vivacious in their studies and their interpersonal relationships.

University of Portland is a very unique school in that almost everyone you meet is approachable. What I mean by that is that most people at the University are always willing to answer a question, nice, and, most importantly, do not think they are too good for you. This is something you do not find at every school and I appreciate that a lot here U.P.

My classmates are outgoing, lively, introspective, intelligent, laidback, engaging and determined. They put others views into perspective and strive to be the best they can be, without giving up their freetime to be the youths they are. A day with them, is like flipping through a traveling magazine, your excited to be with them, and they with you.

The typical classmates I encounter are friendly, respectful, on time, participate in discussions in class, and are eager to learn and perform well. Although there are always a couple exceptions, this description fits 90% of the students I encounter.

My classmates are awesome; they are very friendly and very accepting. I enjoy meeting new people each semester, everyone is generally very friendly and open. I can't describe them in one sentence because they are just too awesome for one sentence.

My classmates compose a class of little diversity, and primarily come from strong family backgrounds and have worked hard throughout their lives either academically or in sports, bringing their values and work ethics with them into the classroom.