University of Portland

« See more reviews of University of Portland

University of Portland is respected in both the Portland community and in the business world. What makes this school so special, however, is its ability to mold its students from inexperienced high school graduates to well-rounded, open-minded, and world-conscious graduates. The professors and administrators work one-on-one with students, forming special and long-lasting relationships that extend past college life. University of Portland is an amazing school with a great reputation, but what makes it special are its effects on its students, and the relationships that are formed on, and off-campus.

The University of Portland is very academically driven with an excellent nursing program. At other schools I applied to, I would not have been accepted into the nursing program as a freshman. Since I am already accepted, the pressure and competition with fellow classmates is relieved. All nursing majors are already in the program too, so we all work together and are very united. We are able to strive for the same goals and high test scores without worrying about someone taking our place in the program. In this aspect, UP is unique by creating a tight knit community.

What makes UP unique would be the people one would meet on campus. The campus is a close-knit community and everyone is treated with respect. The staff are friendly and the faculty considers the student's perspective and make it a point to know each individual as a person. Ultimately, this religiously affiliated privately-owned college, is open to new ideas as well as respects and accepts individuals for who they are. Attending UP makes one feel like they're apart of a new family whether they live close by or miles away, theres always a resource available.

The dedication of the students, instructors and clinical faculty, the unique education model, and the high quality of the people really stand out at University of Portland! This is a warm, fun place to get an amazing education. I know I am supported as a non-traditional student and do not have to sacrifice my family to meet my educational dreams. The School of Nursing in particular has a unique focus on providing the students relevant education and experience to prepare student for what they will really face in a professional position upon graduation.

The University of Portland is unique because of all the incredible opportunities available to you. All of the administration only wants to help you progress. If you ask for help, you will get it. Unlike some schools, all of the classes here are taught be professors who will meet with you anytime to discuss homework or anything else. In addition, the student body is incredibly welcoming and unique. Women's soccer, not football is the main sport of UP. School spirit is apparent through the loud cheers, purple paint, and men wearing kilts and togas.

Since UP is a small school, it seems that everyone at least recognizes everyone. This allows a community feeling where everyone is comfortable being who they are and finding long-lasting friends on campus. The class sizes are small so the teachers know all the students names and are willing to do whatever it takes to aid in outside help either in school or non school related issues. I love being able to ask questions during class and not feel out of place when doing so. The food is impeccable and the company encourages healthy eating habits.

The difference between my final choice of school, and schools I applied to, was size and religous affliation that the school has. When applying for schools my senior year, 4 of the 6 I was considering were state schools. With state schools, you have a larger student body, and no religous affliation. I had considered UW, WSU, CWU, and WWU as my state school choices. However i settled on UP, which is a private catholic school, with a student body less than 4000 students. Big difference from what I thought I was going to do and what I did do.

University of Portland school is unique because of the area we are in. Portland offers so much to young people! There is a bustling downtown fifteen minutes away with coffee shops, pubs, hipster shops, and a constant stream of events such as chocolate festivals or "poetry slams." No matter what type of person you are there is something for you! University of Portland is also in a awesome geographical area. There areas to hike, ski/ snowboard, and an hour away to the beautiful Oregon coast. Needless to say you will never get bored.

While looking at universities my parents and I didn't go about it the normal way; instead, we picked a few random colleges that had been highly recommended and started to apply. You see my family and I didn’t know much about the universities in America since we were from England, but when I stepped onto the University of Portland’s campus, something clicked. It was small yet big, close but far, and most importantly everyone seemed close-knit. Everything is enclosed by the bluff which gives it a neighborhood feel; it’s homelike.

I feel like there are many different aspects about the University of Portland that makes it unique compared to the other schools that I considered. The size of the University is very comfortable for me, keeping in mind that I came from a public school with 90 kids in it. Secondly, I find the University of Portland to be unique because the mission statement and goals of the university are very community oriented and I value that greatly. Lastly, I feel that the University of Portland is unique because of the people who attend.