University of Portland

« See more reviews of University of Portland

We have a new head of internet connections on the board. They've decided that our access to certain websites will be slower or faster based on what the website rates on a scale of "Relevance". This seems trivial -- and to students it is trivially important sometimes - however, in class, it's much harder to try and incorporate videos (especially YouTube) since most video websites are so low on the scale. Professors must also deal with internet connection problems in class. There is talk of an uprising in the Fall Term that may bring about change. This is greatly challenging.

A negative aspect of the university is the pressure to succeed. Just like any family, a parent would only want the best for his/her child and a child's only wish is to make his/her parent(s) proud. At this university, there is a strong emphasis on good grades making successful people. This puts students in a highly stressful situation which potentially sacrifices the student's overall health for the sake of his/her grade. Overall, implying that failing in college translates to failing in life, is an unhealthy mindset that the university often instills in its students.

The smallness of the school. Sometimes it feels like some classes are too big and the administration couldn't adjust for the increasing number of students. Because the school is so small it's sometimes hard to find new people and new things. People tend to make friend/social groups, like cliques and stay in those groups. There's also a small amount of racial, cultural, and political diversity, which is limiting to students' and the school's progress. It's a very Catholic minded school and administration, which can be oppressive to other students and faculty.

The worst thing about the University of Portland is that is sometimes feels very small. With such a small number of undergraduate students (around 4,000) people get to know each other quickly which causes some students to feel cramped and suffocated. The activities of one student can easily become the latest news on campus just hours after they occur. People are in close proximity and gossip travels quickly. Some days a person would rather go unnoticed by those around them but at UP you are likely to pass 10 of your friends on the way to each class.

It's a bit hard coming up with a worst thing, but I suppose it'a a lack of anonymity that one has on campus. While there are always some people you don't know, and new people to meet, one can never go somewhere or do somehing and be guaranteed of not knowing anyone present. Nights out, or embarassing stunts or actions are often witnessed by several of your close aquanitences, rather then by an anonymous crowd. I suppose this is a rather weak negative, but it's the most substantial negative aspect that I can think of.

Although I'm from Seattle, the weather in Portland can prove tiring. Even when rain is not pouring and my hood is not flying off my head due to wind, the gray and dreary atmosphere is not always invigorating. There are times when I wish for nothing more than the feeling of sun on my face, when I'd love to abandon some of my winter layers for the positive energy that comes with warmer weather. I feel as though it's been seemingly forever since my hands haven't been numb with cold and my desire for warmth quelched.

The worst thing about University of Portland is the condition of some of its buildings. While most of the buildings are kept beautifully up to date, some are left lacking. For example, Howard Hall is the campus gym and it looks like it hasn't been renovated in years! Low ceilings, worn carpet, and a miniscule swimming pool make for a gym that needs work. Luckily, there is work being done to build an entirely new Howard Hall, but only after I graduate. Otherwise, the campus is spectacular and classes are fantastic!

The worst thing about my school is just the expectations the professors have for you. Coming from a small Catholic high school I glidded through school pretty easy but coming here and UP is a very good academic school, it was a shocker how much harder I would have to work. I am still working on getting into a routine but it is getting easier everyday. Another thing which I wish could be better here is it is hard to find an on-campus job. Other than that I love the school and have no bad things to say.

The worst thing associated with the University of Portland is also the best think about the school and this is the size. While it is great to have small classroom sizes and actually be able to engage with the Professors, it can also feel like high school because basically everyone knows everyone. Whatever you do is quickly spread throughout the student body and before you know it, others know "information" about you before you even know said information. Sometimes the size can be a hinderance.

I believe the worst thing about our school has to be our athletic gym. The building is older than I can honestly remember, and whenever I am in it, I feel like the ceilings are going to cave in. Luckily for me, I have the ability to go to my local family gym that has been more recently built. By having a poor athletic facility it deters students from working out as much as they may possibly like. The student teacher ratio is perfect, the student body size is nice, but the gym needs remodling.