University of Portland

« See more reviews of University of Portland

Sadly, this school has limited diversity when it comes to race/ethnicity. A common complaint among the students is the lack of diversity at the university. It is working on increasing the diversity of the student population but the majority of the students are middle class Caucasian individuals. If a potential student is looking for a school where they are exposed to a variety of people, I would not suggest this school. However if a potential student wants to help increase the diversity by attending the university, I would highly recommend it as the school wants to increase its diversity.

People that just want to earn a college degree should not attend University of Portland. University of Portland professors exspect you to come to office hours, ask thought provoking questions and learn the material in hopes of being the best in your field or study. It is not a school were you can just float through your classes, but a school were you have to be passionate about every class you take. Other than that, anybody can attend University of Portland! The school does not discrimnate racially, ethincally, religously or by sexual oirentation. It is very accepting.

Everyone can make the University of Portland their home. I believe that the University of Portland will become home unless a student decides to commute. Because the University has a smaller population I feel that it is harder for commuters to feel like a part of the campus. Living in a residence hall allows students to be a part of the vibrant student life. For example, I participated in the Villa Maria Drum Squad during the soccer season and performed a dance that raised $5,200 for Holy Cross Charities. Not living on campus is a mistake at UP.

The University of Portland is an incredibly welcoming and friendly environment. Being from Portland, I've had students from acrosss the country remark on how unexpectedly friendly people in the Pacific Northwest are, and I love being able to say I'm from Portland. The University of Portland, while a private Catholic school, is very open-minded; if you have a serious problem with Catholicism or religion in general, the required Theological Studies classes might be a deterrant, but I've never felt in any way forced to believe a certain way on campus.

The school is very expensive and the instructors expect a lot out of their students. If you are looking to just party and skate through classes without really learning the material and putting in any effort, you should not attend this school. Additionally, if you want to just earn a degree, without caring about the quality of the education, or the reputation of the University, and do so as cheaply as possible, UofP is not for you. This is a school for serious students who want the best education possible for their money and their time.

A person should not attend the University of Portland if he is uncomfortable with there being a religious atmosphere on a college campus. If a person is looking for the "large-school" vibe while attending college then this is not the school for him. The University fosters a tight-knit community and before long students know everything there is to know about their classmates. Students who would like to sit back and work very little during their college experience will be hard-pressed by the difficult classes the school has to offer.

This is the type of school that is extremely rigorous, to a degree that can catch students off guard. However, those students who have a plan for thei r study and pursue it accordingly succeed. The University of Portland is really in a league of college quality that is just a notch below the Stanfords and the Ivy Leagues, and so the education that students receive there must be taken seriously. The type of student who will not succeed (I've seen it happen) is the one who regrets settling for U.P. Make the most of it!

The kind of person that shouldn't attend this school is someone who doesn't take their academic life seriously. This is because UP is one that honors learning, teaching, and service. Someone who does not enjoy volunteering or serving others would also not be a good match for this school. Also, because UP is a small, private, Catholic university, one who does not like being in a small classroom setting and/or does not see Christianity and its teachings to be important or interesting should not attend this school.

Somebody who does not like to get involved and build a community would not enjoy attending the University of Portland. Students are very dedicated to helping their peers and taking advantage of as many opportunities as possible. Students strive to create a safe, inspiring environment where everyone feels like they belong. An individual who did not like to build community would have a hard time fitting in because they would be the minority and other students would constantly ask them if they wanted to be involved.

A student who seeks a "big school" environment should not come to the University of Portland. Moreover, a student who wants high spirit and lots of activity would probably not be satisfied. Certainly, Portland has school spirit for their athletic teams, but the lack of a football team or star sport result in a smaller athletic hype. In addition, the University of Portland's campus is rather small with not much activity on the weekends. The campus seems rather dead at night and when students are not in class.