Mayaguez, PR
University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez

Zorielys

My school is complete and extremely awesome because the environment between the classmates and professors are very respectful and the learning environment is very cool for that.

My classmates are very cheerful and they are given to help you in whatever you need even they get late in their own works or researches.

Basing in what I know now, if I return to high school I could advise myself of being a little bit more responsible and taking the things more seriously. Although I passed with honors 12 th grade, I could have been more responsible, since the pressure at the University for the studies and compliance with the class teacher and yourself is greater than it was in high school. The effort I had to do was higher than others (as I penalized for receiving any grant benefit because the income of my parents) because I tended to get A in class to keep our promise to my parents and let them see that the sacrifice worth it. Would value more the effort of my parents during my high school and would have given much impetus to higher education.

Carolina
Why did you decide to go to this school?

It was close to home, and they had the most complete Academic offering in the island, especially in the Humanities.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Describe a typical weekend.

Weekends are tranquil, especially because most students commute when they have class (they don't live on-campus). However, there are often cultural activities and the libraries are always open. Nightlife is average, most students go out on Thursday nights.

Academics at UPR are great. At least in the Humanities, there are rarely any big classes - the limit for most classrooms is 30 students. Professors definitely know your name, and they usually appreciate and even give bonus points for intelligent comments and participation. The further you go into your concentration (mine is Comparative Literature), the smaller your classes become, and you will keep seeing the same group of people in your classes, and things can become competitive at this level. Electives allow you to break from this and meet people from all over. Intellectual conversations can be found as often as trivial ones. It is uncommon to spend time with professors outside of class, but it can happen. I couldn't possibly choose a favorite class. Some of my favorites are Medieval Literature, Batik and Tie-dye, Arabic and a special seminar I took on Cortazar and Borges.

The stereotype depends on what sector of the community is asked. Because of the overwhelming media coverage of most student strikes, there are people who believe we all want to live off our Pell Grants and protest all day. This isn't true. Most students are serious and driven, but we know when to have fun. The stereotype also depends on your Major. Students in the Humanities are thought of as free spirited, artsy stoners, while Biology students are often accused of being nerds. None of these stereotypes are exactly fitting because one of the great things about UPR is that you can find all kinds of people from a vast array of backgrounds in the classroom.

NICOLE

Assuming that I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what i know now about college life and making the trasition is to take it slow so i could have more time to take advanteges of the opportunities that undergraduate have that graduated students dont have. i would like to do an intership out of Puerto Rico, and particiapted on a exchanged program. the only time and opportunities are only when you are doing the bachelor degree. the best advised that i really wanted to hear is the same advised that i tell to the high school senior, there;s no rush, study something that you are passioante about and enjoy college life and get advantages of all the opportunities that the university offers.

The best thing that I consider about the University of Puerto Rico is the great opportunities to do investigations, work as a team with the professor projects and preparing me as a professional and set for reality.

I love to brag that the University sponsored me on many of the projects that I participated representing the institute, help me pay the convenctions that i attended. Also the benefits that you have been a honor student.

Francisco

Well we are the best engineering university in Puerto Rico. We are a very proud bunch! We have a saying in here, it goes : "Antes, ahora y siempre, Colegio!". People are always impress when you say you are from El Colegio.

As far as activities go there are different fraternities and organizations. There is the IEEE for ECE students. They have lots of activities like JAVA programming competitions and the sorts. People often hang out on Thursday nights. After that the rest of the week is mostly for studying. On weekends, students that stay on dorms usually play online games together or make study groups.

We have students of all backgrounds in the department and university. Most of the student body is Puerto Rican. Even though there exist many backgrounds everybody gets along very well.

The academics are top class. Computer engineering professors are some of the best in the ECE department (My department!). As a student you have to study a lot but the teachers prepare us very well. One has to work hard but it pays off!

Geek, Gamers & Otaku's That about sums every Engineering and Science Student at UPRM

Monica

The best minds of the country are these professors. There will always be mediocre and mean professors but I am blessed to have these men and women teach me. They are extremely knowledgeable and they love what they do!

The stereotype of my school is liberal, communist, socialists, vegans, protesters tree-huggers. It is not accurate, even though it has a big political activities. But it i historic for the perfect space for debating and arguing about the issues that matter and affect our society. I LOVE UPR. It has different views and it lends a space for debate.

ALBERTO

The best advice I could give myself or any High School student if I go back in time is that they greatly enjoy this stage of their life before entering college and, above all the things, to take seriously each of the classes they take to get as prepared as possible for the college world which is great but also very challenging and competitive. When we are graduating from High School many of us think that college life will be better, others think it will be much harder and we worry about it, but the reality is that we forget to enjoy that specific time, which maybe will be the most important because it might define whether you will do well in college or make it more difficult. We must absorb everything, learn, make friends, know your strengths and weaknesses, work hard, enjoy it, but especially, LIVE THE MOMENT, so then you can have the best experience when entering college and face a whole new world.

I would like to had known all the financial aid they can offer in order to cover the costs of my studies because is difficult to me pay for it.

The most I brag about my university when I talk to my friends is the high quality of the classes I take and how well prepared we are to face the working or job world as soon as we graduate.

Jose

There are many things i would have loved to tell high school self if I go back in time. From the multiple warnings about increasing life difficulty to the many courses he should have taken or at least seen videos of, there is a lot of academic opportunities I failed to appreciate. However, if I had only a couple of minutes and only one piece of advice to give myself, I would have said: just be happy. One regrets all those wasted opputunities but when it comes down to it, the one thing I think I should have done was just appreciate the things I had: my friends, my family, my top-of-class grades and everything that meant something in my life. To many times I sat in front of a TV alone. Now that schoolwork is suffocating, i have lost many social aspects of my highschool life. I wish i would have made stronger connections.

The proffesors teach very well and the challange is tremendous.

That my curriculum depended on certain clases that i could taken in high school.

Ludrian

I have nothing to regret about my university. But if I have that chance. I'll tell myself to think better what i want to study. I love the IT/programing stuff but I'll tell myself to learn in my own way to be ready of what really bring me chances to open soucers to my life. And to look for key personas that be able to help me without any problem.

the strike of students because the government put a fee of $800 in our studies cost

the harder studies and clases and the people with some kind of ego

Herber

Over time, I have learned that one of the achievements I have gotten out of my experience in college was the opportunity to develop myself as a leader and an agent of change. Ever since I was a little boy, my dream of becoming an engineer has motivated to be the best that I can be and to excel in every area of my life. These three years of college experience have helped me overcome my biggest fears. When in High School, I had the idea that college was something almost impossible to achieve, but when I started, I noticed that with my drive and motivation, college would be much more interesting and rewarding than expected. Also, college has provided me with the opportunity to help others even in projects and assignments on engineering design class. This helped me view myself as a leader in order to lead others to successful projects and designs. I have learned that I can be an engaging person and at the same time be ambitious for success in order to make a difference in my society. If I haven’t had the chance to attend college, any of these achievements wouldn’t been made.

What I consider the best thing in my school is the education itself because the simle fact that we do so many reasearch projects and investigations, and the school asks so much of you that it prepares you for everything that life has in stored, profesionally and emotionally.The education is so good that companies and agencys come to recruit students and offer them really good job offers to practice what we've learned.

I think that the kind of person that shouldn't attend this school is the one who, still studying in school, acts like he or she doesn't care for hisor her career and doesn't do good in the courses. Also, the people who spend too much time in extra-curricular activities, especially politics, and doesn't commit to his or her responsabilities as students.

University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.