University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez

« See more reviews of University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez

After attending college, I realize that every step of the way towards your bachelors degree your are preparing yourself for the workforce you are going to enter once you start to work. If you want to suceed in life it is curcial that you take very seriously your education. I like to call it your pre-work environment. The tecnics and skills that you obtain throw your university life will determine what kind of professional you will be. The college experience will also mold your personality and values, you will become a new you with all that you have learned. If you gasp this experience with both hands, when you graduate your will be a very sucessfull person in every way you can. University is not only about books and academics but also in learing and experiencing new things that will make you a better person. Its your desicion what you absorb and how you perform in college, but please keep in mind that you are handling you furture with your desicions. With all this in mind my college experience was tuff but I survive and this experience has made me who I am now. A great human being.

First of all my dear and naive child you need to make up your mind. You know that you are excellent with math and science and I know you would succeed as an engineer. -What happened? Why I can't see the exciment in your face! you are already admitted to the best school of the country. This is a one in a lifetime opportunity! You have all the benefits that a student could have. To begin, you have the best professors with the highest standards on the education, you have differents groups and organizations, you have everything that you need for you personal stuff just a few blocks away from you. So tell me what is the problem. - What worries me is that I do not want to study engineer I want to study Languages and travel the world! -You should have said that before! we want you to be happy! For that the university offers an excellent an affordable exchange program, you could practice your french, italian, english and spanish wherever you like to study. That way you could learn more about their culture, history and traditions. Thanks you for the opportunity. My dream will come true today!

Over time, I have learned that one of the achievements I have gotten out of my experience in college was the opportunity to develop myself as a leader and an agent of change. Ever since I was a little boy, my dream of becoming an engineer has motivated to be the best that I can be and to excel in every area of my life. These three years of college experience have helped me overcome my biggest fears. When in High School, I had the idea that college was something almost impossible to achieve, but when I started, I noticed that with my drive and motivation, college would be much more interesting and rewarding than expected. Also, college has provided me with the opportunity to help others even in projects and assignments on engineering design class. This helped me view myself as a leader in order to lead others to successful projects and designs. I have learned that I can be an engaging person and at the same time be ambitious for success in order to make a difference in my society. If I haven’t had the chance to attend college, any of these achievements wouldn’t been made.

The advice I would give myself is to study hard for all subjects. All subjects are very important for the attaining of a college degree. Although not all subjects have as high an interest for my own personal life, having a broad knowledge in a diversity of subjects helps a person to be well rounded, it widens the horizon of possibilities career wise. The goal is to attain a degree and to do it well. Since the GPA you get in college is most important in being employed by a good industry, government or business, it is most important to do the best that you can in all subjects. While still in high school learn to manage your time and learn to make long term plans for your future. The second advice I would give myself is to go to graduate school directly after finishing the undergraduate studies. Graduate level degrees are now very important to obtain a good paying job. Do not delay going to graduate school. The longer you wait the harder it is to complete the degree. If possible go to graduate school before you have the responsibility of a family and full time emplyment.

Since I could remember, when I was a little girl I had always an interest in music. When I turned 18 years-old, I became a little unsure about what I was going to study and what kind of profession I was going to choose. I became interested in studying music. Some people encouraged me to study it and some did not. People used to tell me ?If you study music the only job that you can enroll is been a teacher. There?s no future in Music, you will barely make money.? My family did not encourage the idea about me studying music. So I decided to pursue a career in Biology. If I could go back in time I would tell myself: ?Be strong, don?t hesitate. Fight for what you think is going to make you happy. Everything happens for a reason. You have to love God and yourself in order to love others. But most of all do not lose your faith because you are a champion since you were conceived and you have the Almighty beside you, guiding you, making sure you are going through the right path.? Right now I want to study Music.

The advice that I would give myself is to not take things to seriously. In many moments through your college life you will feel pressured, and you will be surrounded by many people you don't know. The best you could do is your absolute best, staying positive. Don't get angry when a professor puts you in a group, it will make the work more easily. Try to not be a controller, let other ideas reach to you. You won't get to see all your high-school classmates all the time, don't worry about it. In college you'll find many people to talk to, don't feel pressured to find your "new best-friend". You'll find yourself frustrated because the class or the professor that you want is already full: be POSITIVE. There a lot of professors and a lot of options for classes to take, be courageous and decide what's best for you. Don't think of others or the time period, think of you. As a final note, no matter how bad things look to you, think that this experience is making you a better person and professional for the future.

Out of my college experience, I have developed a lot of skills so far to help me succeed. I've learned to manage my time more efficiently than I did in high school. With my busy schedule, I tended to put things off until a later time but in college, I learned to do everything right when I get the task. This definitely helped me to not be as stressed out and I would not have to worry if I'll get something done or not. I have also learned to be flexible. It is easy for me to adapt to changes because college isn't like high school where everything is usually a fixed plan. It has been valuable for me to attend college so far because I am receiving a great deal of education that will only help me succeed in the future. Everything I learn now will be useful throughout life and my career. Some people are not as fortunate as I am for being able to have the college experience where I will learn anything and everything to be successful in my lifetime. Deciding to attend college is the best decision I will ever make.

The first, and most important, piece of advice I would say to my high school self is: “Don’t take a break after graduation!” It is so much easier to just continue going to school, rather than to take multiple years off like I did. Plus I would have been the closer in age to my classmates, instead of being almost 6 years older than them. That would have allowed me to better relate to people in my classes. The second piece of advice would be to take career assessment tests to help figure out what to major in. I had a very difficult time deciding my major when I first enrolled in college. In fact, I ended up changing my major four different times and I cannot help but think that maybe I should have taken some assessments before applying to college. And the last piece of advice would be to take courses that are interesting in addition to the required courses for your major. This balance of required and interesting has helped tremendously to get through some of my tougher semesters.

Knowing what I know now about college life the advice I would have given myself back in high school would have been to not have gotten pregnant my senior year! The transition from parenthood to college student is kind of overwhelming at the least very stressful and hard to deal with. The cost of tuition and the cost of providing for a child at the same time is just the icing on the cake when stress is concerned. Knowing this now is the hardest part because if only I had known two years ago could have saved me a lot of frustration and stress. I don?t regret having my child but I sometimes wish I could go back and change the timing. The balance between the two is not an easy job and only being nineteen its like I really didn?t get a chance to enjoy normal life as a teenager I had to grow up fast and now being a single mother and a full time student I have a lot on my plate and I wish I had thought about all these possibilities while still in high school.

First of all to be sure what I like to work and what career I want in the future. When I'm really decided of what I'm going to do, I will ask persons and search anything about my future career and what I can do immediately if I were being accepted to the program I want. Also I will find researches with professors that are involved in the area you want to work and find summer internships so you have experiences and the knowledge for your future work. Don't waste to much money in things that are not worth it and save money for college expenses, in case that you don't have any scholarship that will help you. Don't hang out with people or friends that don't care to much of the studies and university. Study everyday, so when the professor gave you an exam, you are ready and you can have good grades. Make good relations with professors and faculty of the university. Rest the time a people need to rest to have a healthy life.