University of Puget Sound Top Questions

My classmates at Puget Sound are active and involved members of the community at the university and in the city, they are enthusiastic and hard-working, and bring new ideas to the table.

Advit

My classmates are hardworking, and very encouraging, throughout the process of attending classes.

Cameron

My typical classmates at Puget Sound consist of interested, genuine, quiet and intelligent individuals who are eager to play a meaningful, fulfilling role in society.

Nolan

Starting answering!The University of Puget Sound is such a warm and inclusive community; I feel welcome and involved from the minute I step on campus. I was a transfer student and was afraid that I would find transitioning to a new social environment to be difficult, but I was immediately welcomed and accepted here. The students here are from all walks of life and brings with them a different set of experiences that adds to the wonderful environment here on campus. A great majority my classmates are from California, Washington, Oregon, Colorado and Minnesota, but are welcoming of students from any state or country. The campus community accepts and respects people from every different background. While there are certainly different social groups, everyone is kind and courteous for the most part. At this University we seem to be most concerned with exploring the things we are passionate about and sharing those passions with our peers.

Lukas

Puget Sound could be more diverse in terms of race or socio-economic background, but diversity is found in other areas. We have a reputation as being very accepting to the LGBT community. I have experienced a fairly liberal or progressive slant among students, so more conservative students may feel a bit uncomfortable. That being said, students are respectful and open-minded here. Some states are heavily represented, such as Oregon, California, Hawaii, Colorado, and Minnesota, although students come from all over the country, and only about a fifth of students are from Washington itself. While there may be some degree of a cliquish vibe, the overall friendliness and inclusiveness of students remedies this problem. In mine and others' experiences, students tend to have multiple niches on campus, knowing a variety of people from class/majors, extracurricular activities, and residence halls.

Dalton

The students at UPS may not be especially diverse in their ethnic backgrounds, but their diversity on a more personal level knows no bounds; their interests range from environmentalism to playing the ukulele to Madden NFL enthusiasts.

Leah

Students are Puget Sound are accepting, aware, and academically-driven. Students do not dress up to go to class usually, jeans and sweaters or jackets are the norm to wear to class. Because of the weather (frequent rain) rainboots and boots in general are popular. About 3/4 of the students are from out of state, which makes for a wide range of students coming from mostly California, Oregon, Colorado, Hawaii, and Minnesota but pretty much all over the country as well. Students are generally liberal but engage with students from any kind of political background, and this also goes for different religion, race, socio-economic class, and sexual orientation.

Leah

Leah

Maya

Even though Puget Sound doesn't have as much racial diversity as one might find on other campuses, students here possess a diversity of thought. We have a vocal LGBT community, a variety of religions, and a liberal viewpoint. Students are predominantly left and depending on who you hang out with, are politically aware. Most students are casually dressed (like most of the Pacific Northwest), and no one would look twice if someone wore sweats to class.

Serena

Puget Sound students don't tend to be the most diverse, although the administration is working hard on this issue. We are, however, a very accepting campus and I think most students wish the student body was more diverse. Puget Sound has been recognized as one of the most LGBT friendly schools in the country and has a significant presence on campus. Students tend to be upper-middle class, and more obvious about their wealth than I'm used to, but like to act like it's not a big deal. Liberal students are very active and students tend to be pretty politically aware overall, and students are tolerant of diverse political beliefs. Business students seem to be pretty goal and financially driven, while liberal arts majors seem a little more idealogy-oriented.

Erika

In general, students are incredibly passionate and focused at Puget Sound. Everyone is very interested and concerned about their academic progress. We are students and so school is very important. Many conversations I overhear are about some sort of intellectual topic rather than what color shirt to wear this weekend. However, we like to have fun and do things in a relaxed manner. People care about what they are doing but like to be a bit more relaxed and care free about it.

Jonathan

My classmates at Puget Sound were extremely diverse; many students were very liberal, even radical, dressed loudly and clearly tried to be noticed through their apparel, hair style etc. At the same time, student athletes had a very different profile and were more conservative in both their social and political beliefs and style.

Coby

There are a lot of stupid people out there, but I was surprised at the concentration of intellect at my school.

Andrea

My classmates tend to be liberal, white and pretty well-off economically, but they all looking for ways to change the world.

Jesse

For the most part, my classmates are very engaged and very intelligent as well as very friendly and helpful; some of them have become very good friends.

Heather

My classmates are really intense. They are all highly intelligent, yet are all unique. They are friendly, open minded people, that love to have fun.

Phillip

Most of my Class mates are friendly, intent, and want to do well. However, there are some who are not motivated

Lydia

My classmates are mainly caucasion, middle class, liberal, and dress accordingly to those categories.

Lacy

Many work very hard on their school work.

Kate

My classmates are typically well-rounded accomplished individuals who love to work hard and have fun on the weekends.