University of Puget Sound Top Questions

Tell us about your professors.

Leah

I have never had a professor (I have had 15 so far) who was not willing and easily accessible to meet outside of class to discuss coursework, a paper, or just planning my future course schedule or interests in general. This is remarkable for me to consider, but again I may just be lucky in my experience in the Politics and Government department. My favorite class has been an Comparative Politics class, Iran and Israel, with Patrick O'Neil. Not just because of his vast knowledge of Iran (he occasionally strolls over the border and casually watches religious ceremonies in the streets of Tehran) or because of his dedication and support to his students (will pick up his phone and call to give one of his students a recommendation on the spot), but even more because of the feeling of community that emerged in the class throughout the semester. Prof O'Neil is known to be one of the toughest in the department, so students banded together to have long study sessions and group documents to facilitate studying that listed hundreds of terms from the semester available to students in the class. All of these elements created an ideal classroom experience.

Erika

My professors are fabulous. They are all so passionate about the subjects that they teach. They are truly interested in their students and an understanding of the material not just scores. They hold office hours so students can drop in and get help, but they really don't need to because they are always willing to help. I have had a professor email me back at 2am before knowing we would have questions. They really are there for their students not other motives.