University of Puget Sound Top Questions

I would tell myself to take my time, don't rush, and don't stress. It's not important to choose a major right away, so find the one that fits with what you want. Make more friends! Be social! Waiting for someone to come talk to you doesn't work, and you could be missing opportunities to meet some amazing people. Make sure you study all of the course material. You never know when something might show up on a test. Above all else, work hard! Don't wait until the last minute to study and do homework. A social life is important for keeping your sanity, but keeping good grades and doing well is important too! Make sure to keep in touch with your teachers when you feel like you're falling behind. They're there to help you, not hinder you. Good luck!

Luke

First off, I would strongly encourage myself to choose a college where my intended field of study was one of the college's well-known fields of study. I would then advise myself to attend a college that is in a great location combined with favorable weather conditions year round. After my choice on a college, I would tell myself to get to know some of the people in the same class as me attending the same school I chose. I would also advise myself to find ways to get to know as many people as possible, which helps make friends and get through college. Then I would tell myself to have fun, as long as I keep my grades up and are making the most out of my schooling.

Jackson

You won't regret the University of Puget Sound. Your big concerns of having any college debt at all? Yeah, you'll have it, but based on how much I've enjoyed going to this school so far it will be worth it. You will meet plenty of great people, but it will take you awhile until you find your real friend group. You'll grow decently close to some people, but then you'll grow apart. Don't worry though, you will find your friend group and it'll be okay in the end. As far as studying goes you do pretty well. ADHD is something that does add some difficulty though, so listening to mother's constant nagging to try and meditate might actually be a good idea. Also, try not to start taking naps. Naps may seem like something absolutely amazing, but they are addictive and they mess up your sleep schedule. Instead of naps just try to stick to a proper sleep cycle as it works a lot better. Overall, college is great and the smaller college was definitely the right choice. You're going to love it. Do your best with no regrets!

I would give my sophomore self advice, because it was the first year I began the Pre-IB program. I would make my advise clear and to the point. This is your education and you are responsible for the grades you earn. Throughout my high school years, I followed the advice of my parents and compared myself to my three older siblings. Not till Junior was I tested for dyslexia. After discovering my dyslexia, I finally began to understand why I was unable to read or understand assignments in the same time as my peers. To this day I wish I had understood my disability earlier so I wouldn't have compared myself to others as severly. I would advice myself to be self-motivated to do my best job, because it will not affect my parents as much as it will myself. Responsibility over one's own actions is a strong trait of mine now. As a college student, I have come to realize what responsibility is. Responsibility at the end of your day gives you the ability to look at your actions and recognize that you are the primary individual that has created the future you have today.

Dearest Younger Kara, Look at yourself. You want so many things. You're lucky in that aspect. However, there are a few things you need to note. The first being if you idly walk along waiting for those things to happen to you, you won't be far from where you started. You create your own opportunities by putting your name out there, emailing the right people asking for what you want, if you don't ask the chances of not getting something are much higher. Things are going to change for you. It's important for you to keep your eye on the prize but the journey there is not a race. Take each and every opportunity that passes your way. Study abroad, go work for Disney World, and do it all again until you feel content. Happiness is created, not found. Enjoy the rest of your year. Education Isn't A Race, Future Kara Snyder P.S. Jade, your sister, is right by the way. Now is the time to really apply for scholarships, especially as a high school senior. You know it too. Jump on that wagon before it's gone.

Chloe

Dear 16-year-old Chloe,It’s your 22-year-old self, here. I've been given the unique opportunity to guide you with a sliver of wisdom, so that when you find yourself at college for the first time, nervous, excited, and perhaps a tad awkward, you might consider yourself even the slightest bit more prepared for the transition. Of the many things I learned in college, this one I’ll take with me throughout the rest of my life: Choose to devote your time to whomever and whatever is life-giving, and never to what is life-sucking. In a world that is so competitive, fast-paced, and often centered around building the perfect resume, obtaining the perfect career, and creating for yourself the perfect life, I want you to simply stop. Chloe, what brings you life? What gets you out of bed in the morning? What brings you unquenchable joy? Do those things. Surround yourself with those people. Yes, focus on your career and on building a life for yourself. Never, however, lose sight of passion, of joy, and of love in the process. Choose what gives you life, and your life will most certainly be full.

Alissa

Not everything on the internet is true. The word “sonder” was invented by a website, “Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows”, and represents the epiphany that everyone you meet has just as much complexity and personality within them as you have within you. But somehow, a word created by internet mavens has grown to have meaning. Once you get to college, this concept of understanding will be endlessly important for the happiness of yourself and others. Meeting new people, leaving behind important people, and navigating new personalities will be the most difficult part of college. Yes, despite all you’ve heard about college homework and parties, laundry and finances, the people will prove the challenge. But it will be okay. If you can remember that long-distance is hard, and give your loved ones credit for being complex and trying to make it work, you’ll be okay. If you can remember that everyone in college is meeting new people for the first time, just as you are, you’ll be okay. And if you give yourself time to allow yourself to find those who matter, the payoff will be enormous. And you’ll be okay.

Even if the school you end up attending was not your first choice, it's okay. College truly is what you make of it, so as long as you make an effort to meet new people and keep an open mind about the school and the programs, everything will work out fine. While the first few weeks (or the first month for that matter) may seem painfully awkward, as long as you try to put yourself out there and approach people it will all be okay. It is the people who get ridgedly stuck in their expectations that seem to struggle the most with the transition; go with the flow and have a good time. It is also important to keep an open mind concerning your new roommate, because you never quite know what to expect. So long as you are able to make concessions and work together with her (especially when making the roommate agreement), it is easy enough to get along with just about anyone. And even if you aren't the best of friends, it is very possible to live with someone you simply tolerate (although that will not be the case for you).

Kelsee

Kelsee, Take a look around you. Seriously. You are doing amazing things. Not many other high school seniors can hold three jobs, take five AP classes, somehow manage time for a social life, and graduate top twenty-five. Shoot, you even dated a guy for a little there. That, my fair lady, takes skill. What I am trying to tell you is that you aren't going to disappoint. Don't get hyped up on nonexistent problems. Except for that freshman fifteen. That is real, but I swear it is unstoppable and sneaky. I am not going to lie, the transition to college is extremely difficult. You are going to a place where you don't know anyone and family is no where in sight. You will miss Grandma and she will only continue to get worse. You will feel guilty everyday. Just remember that two years ago, she would support you. She is proud of you and always brags about you. Don't fret about class. Class is challenging and teachers expect more from you. Keep your work ethic. I promise that it will be okay even though it feels like its not. We are strong. Love, Me

Ashlee

I know that college is an important obligation for you in your life considering you will be the first in four generations to attend; however, I also know that you believe everything will fall into your lap. As I begin college myself, I can tell you it is not true. Life is about working hard for what you want and working to get everything you deserve. Please, stop worrying about what party you will attend this weekend and realize that your friends will not get you any further in life than where you already are. There will be plenty of time to enjoy life later; right now you need to worry about getting an education and finding who you are as a person. You are so much more than what you see yourself as and you can achieve anything that you set your mind to. Enjoy being a kid but remember who you want to be as an adult. Keep your mind focused on school and realize that you cannot slide through college. Everything you earn from this point on will be because you spent endless hours working to attain it. You worked hard for nineteen years, why stop now?

Advit

As a senior I wish I had gotten more help with my writing skills. This is one of the most important parts of collegiate academics, and although I felt prepared, I could have gotten a lot better, and refined my skills a lot more than what I came in with. Also resource that was not always available in high school, which was asking for help in areas I was struggling in. My high school senior year I was under the impression I had to figure things out all on my own, when in fact I should have gotten help in some more areas. For example, in AP Statistics, I should not have waited half way through the year to receive help. But one thing that I realized was when I did it payed immense dividends. Lastly, time management in high school and college is completly different. In high school I could get away with starting my homework really late at night. Now after spending a semester in college I learned that, starting late would make it extremly difficult to finish my work at hand.

Knowing about college life and the transition, advice that I would give myself is to take a chance and try and do something that you have not done before. Academics are important and you shouldn't procrastinate but don't be afraid to go out and introduce yourself and meet new people, it will all be worth it in the end. Continue to try hard but do something spontaneous.

If I could go back and talk to myself from my senior year of High School, I would not only lecture myself on taking school more seriously, I would have smacked some sense into myself. I now realize that while at the time, it seemed like I just wanted High School to be over, I miss High School now more than ever. I would have told myself that grades do matter. I have always been a very good student and have received high grades all of my life. Senior year, however, I just wanted to get out of high school and no longer cared. My grade point average suffered, and I received my first C- mark. I often wish that I could go back in time to warn myself about the troubles I was headed for. I wish that I could go back and redo my senior year and get much higher grades. Even though it didn’t seem so in high school, grades really did matter and I could have been given a much better start in college if I had only realized that a little bit sooner. Thank you for taking the time to read my application.

High school self, you are more ready to go to college than you think. Try not to worry too much about academics. You have always done well in school, and that is not going to change any time soon. Instead of worrying about academics, it might be time to worry a little bit about your social life. College is not all about the grades, despite what you may think. Grades are important, and you should not neglect them, but remember to have fun. Join a club! Try something new! Go out of your comfort zone, because that is where you will really discover who you are. Also, try not to stress about not fitting in. You will find friends, as long as you forget about that little comfort zone of yours. This is perhaps the best opportunity you will ever have to go into a new space with new people and a clean slate. Sieze the day, and discover who you are outside of the classroom. It is just as important to be social as it is to get good grades, and it will make your life infinitely more enjoyable. Self, take a chance, because you will not regret it.

Hey, Old Me. You’ve got so very much going for you and you have endless amounts of good in you, and for that you need to take a deep breath, quiet your mind, and grant yourself a deep and serene gratitude. With that done, I have one piece of advice: Analyze yourself. Strip every bias you can, uphold as many external, objective perspectives as possible, and find a way to illuminate every part of your personality. Do not be afraid of the ugly things you see. In fact, embrace and run with these things. They are part of you and cannot and will not be neglected out of existence. In your analysis, try to tend to these antagonistic components of who you are. Gently identify instead of harshly accusing; be kind to yourself, and strive for bravery in your self-correcting ways. Imagine you are your own, ideal, personality-parent. A parent and guide with mature vision and a gently firm way of correction, rife with rewards but grounded with firmness and honesty in noting failures. Be kind, and have the courage to constantly improve what you see in yourself. Good luck out there.

It is A LOT cheaper, easier and more fun if you can really take the time to research what you truly want to do for yourself (not for mom and dad or your friends!) I changed schools 3 times, and eventually picked a major and graduated. Now I am trying to decide if I want to take out more loans to attend a different school and get a Bachelor's in photography, which is what I should have done in the first place. DO INTERNSHIPS! (In a field that actually means something to you...!) Don't do foreign exchange in high school-you have a lot more freedom and options if you wait till college. Try to always be taking a sport club or PE class -you will feel so much better and be healthier! Netflicks is your best friend! Apply for a passport; take roadtrips and go somewhere new! Explore everything you can! Auditing is awesome! You don't need perfect grades. No matter how much you love your boyfriend, choose a school and major that you would have chosen without him-it will be worth it! Keep playing music! Keep in touch with old friends! Learn to laugh.

Gabriela

If I could go back in time and give advice to my high school self upon coming to college, the main point would be to go to every event. Yes, the floormates you have freshman year are going to be awesome, but meet as many people as you can because that will only make things easier down the road. When people start taking different classes, declare majors, or head out of the country to study abroad, a wider friend group will act as a support system. The more people you meet, the more interesting things you will be exposed to and the more complex your social learning environment will become. You may meet someone that has an inspiring passion for social justice or you may meet a person that can teach you how to do all the outdoor activities you’ve always wanted to do. Ultimately, you may find that one person that reminds you of home and who becomes your best friend. Seeing familiar faces all around campus can be a comfort because in the end, you know you won’t be the only person that feels just like you do. A confused and happily lost freshman.

Tessa

The advise that I would give myself would be to work harderd and to strive for the best, and try to become Valedictorian of my class. Re-take my SAT until I was able to get the best possible score I could achive, and take the ACT's. Another word of advice I would give is to take as many college now classes as I possibly could, and go to more college visits. To appy to as many scholarships as possible, and appy early. To look at more than one college, and find the best one that would be suited for me and the amount of education I wanted to achive.

Dalton

"Hello self", I would begin, judging the look on his face to be that of pure astonishment, "I am you of the future, I have come with advice for your upcoming year, do with it what you will." After we had figured out exactly how I invented a time machine and or time lapsed to the past, I would give to him the same advice I have given to many current high school seniors. "Love those closest to you, but don't be afraid to become a true individual." This has been a tremendous struggle for me. I attend school roughly 1500 miles away from home, from a family that I love deeply, lifelong friends, a really awesome dog, and even a girl friend. I have had to really find myself as a person, an entity seperate from my loved ones, yet still maintain the relationships that I have with them. Becoming my own man has been both a challenge and a revelation for me, leading me to hope that each new college freshman has a similar experience. I hope that each does not cling to the past, but develops as a human. That is what college is all about.

Freshman should really look forward to and get involved in orientation. There is a 10 day, 3 part orientation process. There is Passages (group trip), Prelude (group classroom session), and Perspectives (volunteer work). Orientation is such a great way to get involved and meet other freshman before everything starts up. This is a great opportunity and can be overlooked!

Jordyn

After I was accepted into the University of Puget Sound in March of my senior year, I became very lazy in school. I figured I had already made it and I could pick up my slack the following year when grades "really mattered". It turned out I could have made things a lot easier on myself. If I could go back and tell myself what I know now about college, I would start with the end of senior year. First of all, "don't give up, the fight isn't over". Many scholarships have a GPA requirement, and as I was stressing about my financial situation going into college, I was beating myself up during the summer scrambling to get scholarships done and realized I couldn't find many to fit my GPA standing. If I had tried harder I would have gotten more money. My second piece of advice to myself going into college would be "take off the cool cap". I was shy during orientation week of college and very stand-offish toward my peers. The first weeks of college are vital when trying to fit in. Be yourself and honest friends will the love person you are.

Sebastian

It has been valueable because of the opportunities i will have in the future and all the great people i have met!

My college experience can definitely be called an adventure. I have had my high and low points, but through it all I have grown as a student and an individual. I have learned things not only academically, but personally about myself that I think I couldn't have learned anywhere else other than at my university. Going to college to learn chemistry, art, philosophy, politics, film/media, and a language were subjects I was expecting to learn during my experience. I was not expecting to learn more about myself than my academics, which is exactly what happened. I have not only learned to except other opinions, but to voice my own despite my fears of not being excepted or liked because that is what makes me an individual. I have learned to be more open to new experiences and opinions not only in my academics, but in my everyday life. The main thing that I have learned through my first year of my college experience is to explore the world by learning new things not only about the environment and individuals around me, but to not be afraid to grow and learn new things about myself.

Mahal

I would tell myself not to hold back in making friends and to be open to join clubs but not to lose the reason why I chose to go to college, to educate myself further.

Listen, young man, I understand how immensely talented and thirsty for knowledge you are - and how far your sheer intellect has brought you with mininal resistance - but there is a harshness in the world you have yet to understand. Your chosen path has been a privileged one, on which financial support has allowed you to proceed thus far, unfettered by the basic obstacles that beset the average person. To be frank, there will come a time - and sooner than you might imagine - when the rug is pulled out from underneath you, when your parents can no longer afford to finance your education, and the gift-money granted you by your chosen university will fail to suffice your needs. Prepare yourself for this eventuality, which I know you have not been made sensitive to as of yet. You must find away to become more financially self-sufficient. You must find the funding for your own education, as there will soon come a time when others cannot carry you any farther. Get a job. Look for third-party scholarships. Apply to cheaper schools that offer what you seek. Open your eyes, that you might escape the trap I failed to see.

The advice I would give myself would be simple. I would tell myself to appreciate my family, my existing friends and my new friends, and to enter all situations with a positive attitude. My father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's during high school, but I never understood or accepted that fact until I was halfway through college. I wish we had spoke more often while I was away at school, and today I try to make up for it by spending time with him as much as possible. Also, I made a close friend freshman year of college, who died a year ago in a tragic accident. I will always miss him, but am very greatful to have known him. When I went to college I identified myself as an athlete, not a student, so I thought of the classroom as an obligation, not an opportunity. As a result, I hated schoolwork my first two years, and my grades suffered. I then forced myself to take on a new, more upbeat outlook to academics, and it made a world of difference. I not only enjoyed classes immensely more, but my grades reflected the change in a huge way.

Auriel

College is going to be a challenge. It wouldn't be considered higher education if it were easy. Do not be afraid to accept defeat every now and then, because at some point throughout your college career, you will experience it. Things change, and are not what they always seem to be. Accept that, be okay with that, and do not stress over it. People will push you, forcing you to show yourself what you are really capable of, as well as help you to realize what your true ambitions are. College provides endless opportunities, so when you arrive to campus, come with an open-mind. Do not feel like you are a horrible student when you receive your first bad grade. It's bound to happen. It doesn't mean you will flunk out. It doesn't mean you are no longer capable of graduate school or a good job. It helps to recognize your strengths and weaknesses, and offers you a modified direction to take to reach your ambition(s). Keep up the hard work and determination, and just remember it won't always be easy, but you are there for a reason.

Adriana

I would advise anyone looking at college to truly evaluate what is important to them. Location, family, friends, scholarly interests, and weather are all valuable aspects of a school to look at. Once you get to your school you need to be excited and willing. Forming friendships is a vital part of college life and all new students are in the same boat so be outgoing and take initiative when making friends! Don't close any doors when it comes to extracurricular or academic opportunities; college is the place to explore new areas of interest and you can make wonderful friends in the process. Lastly, don't be afraid to seek extra help in schoolwork. There are many people willing and paid to help you with any range of problems from writing papers to calculus problems. If asking for help enables you to succeed then it is worth it!

Work as hard or harder than you did senior year because the University of Puget Sound is all you're hoping it can be a much more. Going to any other school after spending the last three years here would be a huge disappointment. It's going to be hard at first when all your friends go to a state school and at times when you visit them you will feel that you are fading away from the relationships you used to have. But within a year you will realize that you wouldn't trade your collegiate experience for anything. The students here are modeled after everything you value; open, kind, willing to share and genuinely friendly. The professors feel that a class of 40 people is way to big, just like you. Sitting in a class of 12 people, all of whom you can consider a friend is worth all the money that going to school here costs. Keep your nose to the grindstone because if you do, the next four years could be the best of your entire life.

I would say self: I know you want to go have fun, but 10 more minutes and a little more effort will make life so much easier for you when you are out in the world. Learn great study habits now, and you will be normal to you. Talk to your teacher, your guidence counselor, they will help direct you. Now is the time. Go for what you want you are worth it and you can do it. Believe it you are GREAT, YOU can do anything you want. Now is the easy part, later it gets harder and you will have to find the help, it won't be right there for you. It's ok to be be a little scared, so what if you fall on your face, you are out of here in a year on to a bigger and better world. And you will know how to find what you need out there, because you have already done it.

If I could go back in time and visit myself as a high school senior I would have told myself to be prepared for something completely different from high school. I would have informed my high school self of the higher expectations, need for self-motivation and discipline, and general independence that comes with college life. I wish I could have known coming into college that my previous study habits and routines simply wouldn't cut it here, but instead I had to learn the hard way and struggle through my first semester. My high school self thought she was independent and I wish I could tell her otherwise.

Not everything will be perfect, but it will be okay; that is the hardest lesson I have learned since entering college. If I could go back in time and talk to myself a year ago, I would tell myself that a lot is going to change very quickly. I would say things like, you cannot procrastinate in college like you did in high school and you are going to gain a new perspective to life. You are going to realize what you want to do with your life, so stop worrying about your indecision. I would tell myself not to turn down those trips to grandma's house, because she has less time than you think. When you reach college you'll realize that your friends are going their own ways and you need to go yours. People will come and go out of your life and you just need to accept it for the way it is, and know that even when you live on your own you will never be lonely. I will say the college work is harder, but do not get down on yourself because it is like that for everyone. Never lose your faith.

Stuart

To be honest, were traveling through time possible, I don't think my first priority would be to visit myself after high school--things like the Colossus of Rhodes or the library of Alexandria would be far more interesting to see. However, should the opportunity present itself, I would tell myself 2 things. The first would be to accept what i know about myself--my perfectionism, my love of pondering, my weakness for being overwhelmed--and really try to consider what kind of school I wanted. It took me almost 3 years to figure out what I really wanted, and while it was an excellent learning experience, starting my college career at the school I attend now sounds wonderfully appealing. The second, and the more important, would be to LIGHTEN UP, take some time to enjoy the world i was living in and the opportunities I was being presented. I'd want to tell myself, heck I'm still trying to, that I don't need to figure out all the answers right now. "Get out of your room (and your head) and explore the world a little. Just live. Don't get trapped in academics."

Ellen

Once you get to college, get involved and meet new people. Being without your high school friends is hard, so do your best to make new friends who can support you if you start having problems. And don't just make lots of friends, make good friends. Meet everyone on the floor of your dorm, introduce yourself to the other people in your classes, get involved in clubs (not just one club, lots of clubs), sit with people you don't know at meals. Don't be shy, because everyone else wants to make new friends too.

Sonia

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would let myself know that picking a college isn't only about picking the best education that a college can offer you in the classroom. I'd suggest that I better assess what makes me feel comfortable with a living situation. I'd tell myself that I need to recognize what is important to me socially in a school such as diversity and within the community the school is located in. Being able to feel comfortable enough to live within a completely different community on your own is an exeptionally important part of choosing the right college; this I know now and I wish I knew it as a high school senior applying to colleges. I would tell myself that I should apply to colleges not just to apply, but because I could see myself living there and being a part of that campus.

Derek

Learn to effectively time-manage before attending college, and prepare to read far more than you did in high school. Having said that, remember to take breaks so that you don't completely overload yourself with stress. If you take your time and give it your all, you can easily get through college.

If I knew then, what I know now, I would have told myself, "Learn how to study!" There is an art and a science to learning good study habits and high school was a breeze! Getting good grades didn't involve much studying or talent and I think my high school teachers did me a disservice. They rewarded me for being likable and for completing my assignments. They didn't actually critique my work. The good grades I received got me in to my top choice school on scholarships; however, once I got there, I didn't know how to do school work. I graduated high school with a 3.8 GPA. My first semester college GPA was a 2.34. Ouch! Thank goodness for my wonderful floormates that taught me the lesson, "Sometimes, it's just not possible to watch TV every night. Sometimes, you actually need to read 100 pages before class the next day." After that first semester, my grades skyrocketed and I was back to getting grades I was used to receiving; however, I will always wonder how much better I would have done in school had I learned how to study earlier in my education.

Lydia

First of all, try to break out of the image you've gotten during high school of what kind of college you "should" go to. It doesn't need to be the school with the highest academic ranking, and your life does not depend upon picking the perfect school. However, try to pick a location where you will be happy living for the next four years, and a school where you feel comfortable and from which you will recieve a good education. Don't go into college with a definite career path in mind, although it is helpful to have a general idea of the subject area you are interested in. There will be many resources at your college to explore your options for careers, more in fact than you will probably encounter in any other situation in your life.

Don't have any expectations. College will be a completely different experience from what you think it will be. It will be both great and terrible. You will have the best time and meet the best people but you will also have the worst times and meet not so good people. But take time to appreciate the good moments. They will not last forever, nor will the hard parts never end, so don't dwell in them. Go crazy, make lots of mistakes, and take honest time to learn about yourself. Most character building moments are not as fun or as heroic or as romantic as you may imagine them to be, but they are what will make your time more rich. And in the end, cut yourself some slack. Be ready to learn, more about life than anything else and be ready to learn how much you don't know and how far you can reach.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would honestly tell myself to do exactly what I have done. I love where I am, I love what I'm doing, I love where I'm going, and I'm super excited for what lies ahead. I would tell myself to work hard in school and to trust my inclinations. I would tell myself to find people who make me feel cared about. I would say to take classes that follow my passions, and to find people who will help me to learn and grow. Do what feels right, don't let people scare you out of living your life. Take chances and live it up. College is what you make it, and I am making it amazing.

Gerad

I would tell myself that college will really be the most fun you will have. You'll make great friends, have amazing experiences, and yes you will be able to finally be in control of all of your choices. Don't worry about telling people you are gay everyone who is going to the school you are attending will love you for telling them. Remeber that you are not alone and when you are off to college you can finally accept yourself for who you are. There are two other really important things. First, don't be afraid to try new things, those will be the most exciting moments you will ever have. Second, try as hard as you can to find scholarships during your last year of highschool. It is way easier then, than when you are in college.

Resarch carefully and visit the school. Also, do an overnight

Make sure to visit the schools, talk to student and professors about their experiences. Don't just talk to the tour guide. Do an overnight stay and attend a class. Apply to many different schools and wait for financial aid packages before making a descision. Think about how far you really want to be from home by thinking about the events that will happen during your time at school, are there big things you don't want to miss during the year? If so, you will want to be within easy traveling distance. When you first start school make sure to limit your visits and calls home. It will be hard at first but in the long run you will adjust more easily to living away from your parents. Try new things even if they sound different and make sure to leave your dorm once in a while. Sign up for more clubs than you want to be in, then only attend the ones that sound the most interesting. Leave your dorm room door open and invite people in. Most of all, work hard and stay on top of homework, this will make life much easier when tests roll around.

Going to college is all about finding what you need, even if that may be different from the people around you, so it is important to have a good hold on the things you know that you want and do not want. Finding the "perfect" college is nearly impossible, so take this opportunity to go wherever you feel like you should go and study whatever makes you happiest. As long as you try your hardest and put your efforts into everything around you, you will be happy with the way you are spending your time. Also remember that everyone has their own goals and goes by their own schedule, so try not to compare yourself to the people around you. This is the one time where you need to be a little selfish and really focus on what you are doing. As long as you feel like you are working hard and you are happy with who you are, you will be fine.

Gita

Students should talk to students who they know personally who go to the school (friends, family freinds, friends of friends) becasue they are the most open and free to express how they truly feel about the school

The most important thing to remember when deciding which college is right for you is that your life will NOT be ruined if you choose wrongly. Many people, including parents, college counselors, and even other students, put so much pressure on this decision, telling you that it is the end-all be-all factor for the rest of your life. Having the right fit is important, however, finding it instantly isn't always necessary. There are always options if you are not happy, and this does not just include transferring, and there will always be people there to help you. Equally important, find the college that YOU want to go to according to YOUR standards, whether those standards include the legacy of the college, or just how good the weather is. This decision is for you, and although the many opinions of your parents, counselors, and friends may help, it will ultimately be your journey. Do the research, including talking to students who attend each school and looking online. Make a list of the things you want and deserve in a college, but be practical. Finally, follow your gut and make the decision that makes you happy.

My advice would be to start early! Exposing yourself to a college or university at anytime possible is a valuable experience. Even if it's not at all what you're looking for, taking tours or visiting a friend at a nearby college/university is very helpful when it comes to figuring out what you want out of your experience.

Lynda

Applying for colleges has no one-size-fits-all answer. Each person needs to consider what they really want out of their college experience, thinking critically about class sizes, educational interests, and extracurricular activities that they want to participate in. What helped me gain a college experience I could enjoy was knowing what I wanted before I applied to schools. I made a list of what I wanted in my school, and then found all the schools that fit the categories before choosing which I would apply to. Sure, my interests and study changed, but I set myself up in a neighborhood I could be comfortable in and with a school I love. While not every kid is going to get into Harvard or Yale, it can be good to aim high in your collage search, applying to at least one school that you may not think you can get into, but that you would love to study at. Don't immediately settle for the easiest option if there is somewhere out there you want more. College is your time, and you should have a chance to love it. Work hard for the school where you think you would fit.

Coby

As precisely as you can, figure out how much of a priority academics are to you. Be honest with yourself, and then do what you can to achieve that goal without driving yourself crazy. And for goodness sake, pursue something you love!

I think the best advice I could give parents is to remain interested in their childrens' college selection and the process that goes with it as possible. Finding the right school is challenging; parents should help educate but certainly not help choose too much. Independence is key, and even if initially your daughter or son seems off-track because of the new-found independence, remember that no amount of restraint can actually solve the problem. Making the most of the college experience is more possible if one can have the satisfaction of having earned everything be his or her self. To students: pick the school that feels right to you, and a place that looks academic and makes you feel studious is really a plus. Pick a school with things around it! I'm so glad I did not pick a school in the middle of nowhere. Being in a city, in the middle of a big neighborhood can be a pain for noise complaints, but it is most important that you remember that the real world still exists while you're safe inside the college bubble! College is a stepping stone to the world, not another high school.