University of Puget Sound Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Puget Sound

Paloma

The University of Puget Sound is a very unique campus and is loved by all it\'s students. Many of the applicants, including myself, are awarded generous financial aid packages that help them attend this wonderful liberal arts college. All the professors are kind and attentive to each individual student\'s needs.

Zoe

I am very happy I am attending UPS. I have made many good friends here, and I am receiving a really great education. Having come from an area where not many people agreed with me politically, it is really refreshing to go to a school that shares many of the same values. I will say that it is what you would expect of a private liberal arts school: expensive and not diverse. As a person in the middle class, it hasn't been a walk in the park funding this education, but the financial aid office has been super helpful. This school definitely draws mainly wealthier white people, but since the school is more liberal I think they're working on it (at least I hope so). One thing I definitely appreciate is how politically active and conscious the student body is. Overall, since a lot of money goes into the school it has nice facilities, and is in a nice residential area that isn't too far from some shopping and restaurant districts.

Camille

UPS is a safe place for students from all over to live and learn. Class sizes are small which is nice and allows students to get to know their professors. The academics are challenging and classes can be difficult but the transition from high school to college is being actively improved upon by the community. The campus is an open campus and lots of neighbors from around the school like to walk their dogs through campus too:)

Emma

So far my experiences at the university have been very positive. As a first year student orientation provided the perfect environment for getting to know our peers and introducing us to the university. Within the first month I felt like I had made the right choice in university and was settling in nicely. There is a lot that students can get involved in to help make friends in the first few months. I have learned a lot in the first few months about school related and non-related topics. Overall I am proud to attend this university and excited for the next three years here.

Kaela

I have had some really exceptional professors who motivated me to learn. Most professors are very accessible via office hours or by appointment, and I have found that they are there for students 100%! There are lots of opportunities to get involved in clubs, sports, or academic extracurriculars. The campus is absolutely beautiful and I'm proud to show it off to visitors. At freshman orientation, students are given lots of resources to succeed, including meeting other first-years and having an academic faculty and student adviser.

Maya

My overall review of the University of Puget Sound is very positive. The campus is beautiful, the environment is very friendly, helpful and accepting; the professors are extremely willing to get to know and help students. Professors are challenging but accommodating, and easily accessible. Other students are generally pretty helpful and nice. Great place for LGBTQ+ indiiduals.

I love it! The professors have a general care for how you do and how to help. I would recommend this University to anyone wanting to work hard and be academically challenged. The whole environment is welcoming and there is always somewhere and someone to help if you ever are having trouble in a class.

Sara

The University of Puget Sound is a beautiful liberal arts campus where students and faculty engage in intellectual and exciting discussions. Classes are hardly ever boring once you find your niche. I recommend trying new things out, its a small campus overflowing with invaluable opportunities!

Matthew

Going to UPS was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The professors are both highly capable and genuinely care about their students. The faculty will do whatever it takes in order to ensure that their students achieve their personal best. I am very thankful for the relationships I have formed at this school.

Tyler

University of Puget Sound is a very small, private, liberal arts school known for its education , physical, and occupational therapy programs, as well as the undergrad psychology, politics and government, and biology programs. The campus itself is kept pristine and beautiful and looks extremely welcoming to those who see the school for the first time. Physically, the school is pleasant and enjoyable. Puget Sound strives to encourage and aid students in their class and career decisions by assigning professors as personal advisors and enforces check in meetings to ensure the students are on track. There are many departments to help with academics and choosing a career, such as the Center for Writing, Learning, and Teaching, or the Career Employment Services. These, along with all other departments, are very accessible and helpful. The professors are very well educated and very clearly work hard to inspire students to advance their knowledge in the subject material. They always have their doors open for help or just to talk if a student needs it. Overall, UPS is fantastic for those who like smaller, discussion based and active classes, as well as accessibility for academic or career-searching help. As a division 3 university, sports are not the main attraction of the school, but art and music is a common past-time for students involved in the school.

Alanna

My overall review of the University of Puget Sound is that is generally very inclusive, very beautiful and there are always clubs for people who want to be involved in activities. You can always find a teacher who is willing to listen and take the time to meet with you, and the food is generally very good.

Gabriel

This is an excellent small liberal arts university that is constantly looking for ways to better itself. It is not always perfect, any student here will gladly to you that, but there is a consistent effort to change to the best of our abilities the things we find problematic. I would not recommend this school to everyone out there - it is not a perfect fit for everyone, but for anyone who appreciates balance between academics and cocurricular activities, who is looking to enjoy the outdoors, and who is looking to complete an education that emphasizes well-roundedness, this is an excellent option well worth considering. In the infamous words of one of the most beloved people on this campus, Dean of Students Mike Segawa, "a Puget Sound education is not something that you get. It is something that you DO." This university stresses understanding of theory, not for the sake of that understanding alone, but so that it can be applied to better our lives in numerous ways.

Kate

The University of Puget Sound was a great place to study as an undergraduate. The campus is absolutely beautiful-brick walls covered in ivy, fountains everywhere, beautiful flora everywhere- but you really need to be comfortable with the climate because it will be cold and raining from October to April. Tacoma is actually a great city to be in. The food is awesome around campus and, if you can get there, the places around Pt. Defiance Park are particularly good. I also really recommend that you try to spend time off campus. It’s good for your sanity and Tacoma is also pretty great. There are plenty of opportunities to volunteer through UPS and also in the city or you could check out some of the excellent coffee shops in North Tacoma near campus. The school itself is phenomenal. The professors are very involved in your education and will know who you are. Do not expect to be able to miss class and not have to explain in person where you were (but seriously they but coffee from the same two places that are available to you. You cannot hide). They expect a lot from you and if you can deliver you will leave with one amazing education. There are a lot of resources available before, during, and even after your time at UPS. Plus the number of jokes you get to make about being part of UPS are boundless. Go Loggers.

Haley

I loved my time there, I particpated in a varsity sport, was a part of greek life, and loved my major and minor. My only complaint about the school is that it is so politically liberal that it can be distracting/get in the way of school. I'd even use the word "aggressive" for a percentage of the student body & their liberal agendas. I grew up mildly conservative from a suburban town, and loved opening my eyes and gaining new perspectives, but I also thought there was a line that could have been drawn. Now out of school, I see that there will always be niches of people who are so liberal that they protest anything, but more or less there is a balance in the "real world" and that school was just a unique pocket of it.

Neil

My University is what it is. It's a privately owned liberal arts university. It has towering brick buildings that remind people of Hogwarts, and vines growing up and down everywhere. It has negative aspects such as investment in fossil fuels and hardly-updated dorms, but the fact of the matter is, most people I know are absolutely proud to call this university their own. This is due to not only the dedicated people who work here, but the students and friends that make it worthwhile. I think it's an excellent school for it's size and reputation.

Valerie

It is very clean and everyone keeps to themselves. Overall, it is a peaceful university to attend to. The professors are very helpful and there are many sources for students that need help in certain areas. So far, it has been a different experience.

Richard

The school is great. The campus is beautiful, the people that I have met at the University of Puget Sound are people I will remember forever and the teachers are great. The class sizes are small so you get to know your classmates and teachers well. The teachers are always willing to help and hold office hours regularly.

Darby

The University of Puget Sound is the best place for me. I really enjoy the class size because I feel as though the teacher really knows and cares for me. I also enjoy the curriculum: with the university's core requirements I have opportunities to learn about different subjects I probably would not have. I also run DIII cross country and track which is great because the team is supportive, the facilities are perfect, and the level of rigor is fitting for me. The people at University of Puget Sound are what make the campus what it is. I have met some though provoking, funny, safe, and nice people since I have been at school and I feel myself around them.

Kenna

The University of Puget Sound is a nice community to be a part of, with the warm welcoming of orientation and the encouragement from students and staff alike, but it isn't perfect. There is very little diversity, with a predominantly white campus, and most people share the same political views. Now, having the same views isn't necessarily a bad thing, but there is almost a hive mentality when it comes to "dealing with" students with different views. This school praises its acceptance, while most of the students only want to hear what they believe in. This is not the school's fault per say, but the students are what make up the school, and we're honestly getting a bad wrap because of it. This doesn't make it an awful place to attend, but things could definitely be better in this regard. The campus is beautiful and most of the staff is kind and easy to talk to, but just like any other school, there are professors that will never be as nice as you'd like them to be. That's life though, I suppose.

Kathryn

Though University of Puget Sound has an acronym in common with the United Postal Service (UPS), the campus itself looks nothing like the many shipping warehouses located around the country. Instead of maintaining a fleet of brown delivery trucks, the campus is packed with students' and professors' vehicles each day of the week, and is home to a fleet of vans used by groups such as Puget Sound Outdoors (PSO). The campus itself is reminiscent of Hogwarts with its staunch brick buildings that crawl with ivy. Classrooms in Jones Hall look like something out of an old movie made in England about school children, and though there is a great charm in the history of the buildings, they are certainly not outdated. The classes themselves are relatively small, the largest being around 30 students, which bodes well for conversations and connections between students and professors. All of the professors are willing to discuss school work with students, and are also happy to talk about their research and other things going on around campus or Tacoma. Professors also clearly care about what they are teaching and try to make their courses challenging and engaging. The campus is relatively small, which makes it extremely walk-able, and it is easy to get from class to class. Not everybody at UPS takes their education as seriously as you might expect which was a slight surprise, but it is important to remember that there are also many people who are there to learn and put in the work.

Emma

Overall, it's a great school and from attending the University of Puget Sound, one gets a great broad college experience. The courses are very interesting and even though it's considered a liberal arts school. Also, it's very easy to get engaged on campus through clubs, sports, work, etc.

Katherine

Overall the school left me wishing for more. The school is beautiful, class size was great, I almost always had access to my professors and there was lots of things to do. However, my academic experience could have been so much better. As a student I didn't feel listened to when I had concerns with other aspects of the school. I was constantly ignored by the administration when my concerns arose. My professors either graded entirely on exams or on their own opinion of students. The student culture can also be incredibly alienating. Theres definitely little groups for every type of person, but the school is overwhelmingly liberal and very hipster. As open minded as the community wants to portray themselves, there is a major political leaning that is incredibly close-minded and often found myself being chastised for even bringing up another view. Nearly all campus jobs were work-study only, making it a bit difficult to find a way to earn a bit unless it was written into your financial aid. The athletics are not excellent but they exist, and several rec sports are available. In all, I wouldn't attend this school again, its too expensive for the shotty education I received.

Sierra

The University of Puget Sound is great for students focusing in any of the humanities, arts, politics, economics, or environmental sciences. The professors are very invested in their students and encourage thinking/exploring beyond what is covered in class.

Ainsley

I love it here! I really appreciate how accessible and understanding my professors are, they usually get back to emails quickly and have both open office hours or by appointment options. One of my favorite parts is the Repertory Dance Group, which is a super inclusive dance club for people of all levels. I had never danced before, but performing each semester is so fun and they have tons of options for people with all varieties of experience. I <3 UPS.