Redlands, CA
University of Redlands

Video courtesy of University of Redlands.

The University of Redlands is a private, independent university centrally located from the beaches, mountains and desert in the heart of southern California.

Recognized for having one of the highest study abroad participation rates among our peers, Redlands students travel the world, choosing from more than 100 programs.

View the Full Summary

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Redlands

Fixed  rate loan

John

Since my first day on campus as a freshman, I have been extremely happy with my choice to attend Redlands. All my classes are small and I maintain good relations with my professors. Outside of class the OP (Outdoor Programs) center runs trips every weekend to a variety of destinations. For example, I went to Zion, Utah for my "First Year Seminar". I met 8-10 other freshmen and we stayed in the park for about 3 days. During our stay we hiked, road mountain bikes and played fun sports and games. My sophmore year I signed up for OP's fall break trip to San Diego. There, the group surfed , wakeboarded and water skied, and rode bike downtown. Besides the great OP program the school has a solid social atmosphere with many clubs and organizations on campus not including Greek life. Basically whatever your interests are you can find it here at Redlands.

The campus has beautiful architecture and the land is well maintained by facilties. The quad is home to our many intramural sports and multicultural events throughout the year. Snow covered mountains present the backdrop of campus.

What are your classes like?

Classes are small and interactive. My largest class I have taken here was Intro to Psychology. It had about 30 students. Now, as a senior, my upper division business classes range anywhere between 10 to 20 students. I enjoy my classes because the professor knows me and what I am capable of when it comes to tests, homework, group projects, individual assignments, etc.

One stereotype at our school revolves around the Johnston program. Rumor has it that Johnston students are lazy hippies. This is in fact not true. To disprove the fact, Johnston students are in charge of their own education the first day they come to school. It is their responsibility to design their major, negotiate a contract system, and set course goals and objectives throughout their 4 year college career. The Johnston school has graduated prominent students that have gone on to work for NASA, TOMs and other well known businesses.

What are the most popular classes offered?

It all really depends on the student's major. Since I am a business major I can say from personal experience that the most popular classes are marketing and human resources. Those classes tend to fill up very quickly. I also know that intro to psychology is a very popular course for all students. Lastly, the most popular classed at Redlands are usually offered during our May term. Since students take 1 class during the month of May, those classes gravitate towards "specialty" classes such as Mother Earth Chemistry, the science of making beer and wine.

I love the University of Redlands! My only advice to perspective students: come check out Redlands and see the amazing potential this small university has to offer.

I think the most popular student activities/groups on campus are Greek life, OP (outdoor programs), sports, intramural teams, Big Buddies, Habitat for Humanity, Con-vocational lecture series, concerts, Multicultural festival and Fallfest or Springfest.

Walking around campus one will notice the friendliness of the student population. With the sun constantly shining students can't help but smile. Everyone does their homework on the quad or by the pool. Students get together for lunch and congregate to the outside tables. Personally I enjoy the weather and laid back atmosphere. The school is small enough to be familiar with the many faces but large enough to constantly meet and make friends with the new faces.

As a business student I feel my courses are challenging and insightful. Not only do I learn basic theories from the professors and text books but I have had the opportunity to get real world experience out in the field. In my BUS 226 class I acted as a health inspector for some local restaurants in the area. After the inspection I put together a business strategy to help the restaurants avoid critical issues in the future. In my junior year my adviser and Career services helped land an internship in the summer with one of the largest privately held companies in the world. With a business administration degree from the University of Redlands I am confident that I will launch my career upon graduation.

At a liberal arts college, such as Redlands, a diverse group of students attend this university to become critical thinkers and responsible doers. I would not say there is a certain stereotype on the Redlands campus. We have students from 44 different states outside California. These students study business, psychology, communicative disorders, international relations, government, music, and many other majors offered on campus. And if a major is not offered, students can design their own education in the Johnston program.

A

When I was going through the college search process, I was looking for a place to build community away from home. I found that community at Redlands. It became a second home to me, and the people around me grew to be a second family. There were constantly things to do, see and learn. Every day was different, with new opportunities. In two weeks I hiked the tallest mountain in Southern California, listened to Jane Goodall, cried as Maya Angelou read her poetry, and got free frozen yogurt. Redlands provides each of its students with the possibility to do more, see more, and learn more about themselves, their peers, and the world in which they go on to change. Students here are extremely driven to truly be the positive change they want to see in the world.

Redlands students are so involved, and there are so many clubs that it is hard to list the most “popular” ones. About 18% of our students are involved in our local, social sororities and fraternities. We have a strong Invisible Children club, Students for Environmental Action, Big Buddies and our own Outdoor Programs. OP is my all-time favorite organization. It’s open to everyone on campus, and student leaders will lead trips every weekend to go rock climbing, go to the beach, and hike and camp in Joshua Tree, just to name a few. Students here are extremely social; it’s almost impossible to not find something to do, although it seems the freshman who previously posted here doesn’t know about these great opportunities. It’s so easy! We have a lot of signs all over campus promoting so many different ways to get active and involved! People are almost always at the pool, playing on the Quad, or hanging out.

My peers here somehow manage to be laid back and driven at the same time. It’s quite a feat to balance those two traits so well, but we Redlands students do it! We know how to study hard, positively influence whatever communities in which we find ourselves, exceed our own expectations, and still make awesome, meaningful relationships. People here are friendly. They actually care about you, and that makes a comfortable space to challenge yourself and hang out with people you might not have in high school or back home.

The classes are small and all taught by professors who actually know you as a student. This is the best aspect of classes at Redlands. Another awesome aspect is the flexibility. Since it is a smaller school it’s not impossible to get classes you need. This allows more flexibility to take classes outside of your department or major, which truly improves the well-roundedness of the students. You can also get credit for classes abroad, which really opens up the possibilities. I took classes in Barcelona and Costa Rica, which was phenomenal.

There are probably a few stereotypes of the types of students at Redlands, none of which are very accurate. There is the jock stereotype, the party-er, the Greek student, and the hippie stereotypes. It speaks to our diversity that there are so many different stereotypes to choose from! No. There are student athletes, and there are students who are more free-thinking. The positive thing about the Redlands community is that it is small, and these students will almost always end up rubbing shoulders with one another at some point. It’s hard to surround yourself solely with completely like-minded individuals. As a student, I was constantly being challenged by my friends and peers to think outside the box. I was almost always surrounded by students around whom I was comfortable, but constantly learning. This is just one example of how the education that Redlands provides spans across the boundary of the classroom.

A beautiful campus, great teachers, and a great administrative board that keeps in touch with you even after you have graduated and started your career.

Since I have only been in college for one semester, I have not been able to experience everything that the University of Redlands has to offer yet. What I have been able to experience is: amazing teaching staff, great community, a beautiful campus, freedom, and courses that push you to the best scholar. The teaching staff at Redlands is very applicable to the students. They are always ready for class, ready to answer questions, and open to meeting outside of class to help you with your questions. Even if you might not be able to meet with a professor one-on-one, there are still numerous programs on campus that are here to help. The community of students is by far the best I have ever seen. Everyone is welcoming and friendly and willing to help you out with anything you have. The dorms offer a great chance to meet with other students that have the same interests as you or are in the same class as you. I have had an amazing first semester at the University of Redlands, and I cannot wait for the upcoming years as I continue to advance in my academic career and social experiences.

University of Redlands is a school that is going to push you, undoubtably harder than you have ever been pushed before; however, here you have the support of not only your fellow students, but the professors as well.

College is like nothing I have ever experienced, ever before. From moving out of the house and living on campus, to having literally three hours of homework every single night, college has taught me so much about time management. Managing time is such an important lesson that students should learn- cleaning rooms, going to class, working out at the gym, rushing sororities, doing homework, going to clubs and whatever else hardly leaves any room for showering and sleeping it seems! It took me a while to find a happy median between all of the above, but I feel at ease about everything now, and I am really glad that I have been learning how to manage time. Another very important lesson that i've gained at colllege is money management. That buying that fifteen- dollar shirt really does "break the bank." Other than these lessons, going to school here has been the most rewarding thing- academically and socially that I have ever experienced.

The best part about University of Redlands is the professor to student ratio; all of my teachers know me by first and last name, whether I have turned in an assignment or not, and if I go to class which really, really pushes me to work even harder in all of my classes.

Alexa

I have learned so much in such little time. I have taken classes in subjects I never had really explored, like Archaeology, and you never know how it will affect you. That class led me to a Sociology/Anthropology minor. College has also given me relationships to such amazing people, and I know the experience I have here will carry out of the classroom and affect me for the rest of my life. I now know how to budget my money, and college has really taught me the importance of an education, as well as shaped me into an adult.

I wish I had known exactly what to expect with dorm life, because I knew what to expect scholastically. However, I do not think a lot of students realize what a huge change it will be to go from a home to a dorm.

A person who actually likes to learn, and is willing to talk, participate, and read will enjoy the school. The classes are challenging, but I throughly enjoy the classes. The school attracts both student-athletes and free-spirits, and people who like to know most of their classmates and teachers will like this school. You form a lot of close relationships, it is a very tight-knit atmosphere.

Nicholas

Besides continuing my education and helping me decide on and prepare for a career, the college experience has been a great transition from living at home in high school to being independant when I graduate from college. Whether living in dorms or apartments, having to live with a roommate and manage your time and activities helps prepare for life after school. Living on your own in college you must depend mostly on yourself, but because you are still in school there is enough support to help when you are having trouble. I think the process of going from dorms as a freshman and sophomore, to an apartment as a junior has helped me develop more independance and self-reliance at a steady and appropriate pace. I find myself much more mature and have no doubt that once I have graduated from college I will be more prepared for living on my own than I would have been if I had not attended college.

The class sizes are great because there are usually about 25 students in each class. This allows for a closer relationship with teachers, which means teachers can help you in the areas where you are having trouble more easily because they have enough time to get to know each student individually. The small class size also allows for discussions amongst students and makes it easier for questions to be asked and answered in class.

Nydia

Although I have not attended yet, because I am supposed to start Aug. 2. I am very excited to be attending so I can get right into the career I am wanting. I would like to be and will be a paralegal. I have chosen this profession due to my past and what I have seen. I would like to make a difference instead of becoming apart of the problem, I want to help others as much as I can and if you grant me with this money I would be more than appreciative and you will definitely not be let down or questioning how your money is being spent due to whatever grants or scholarships I receive go to my "account" that the school holds. I am not so sure of how to explain it, but if you want to you can contact the school I am going to. I am not sure of the number, but it is Santa barbara business college although it is the ventura,ca campus for paralegals.

allie

I've learned a lot about being able to manage my time properly. through my school I have been able to take trips abroad to Africa and the Balkans to learn about genocide reconciliation. These trips have changed the way I understand the world, I see the world in terms of humanity, not in terms of nationality, ethnicity, religion or class. The experiences I have had in other countries have been invaluable to my life and learning proccess.

Dakota

College are not only the best days of your life but also the most valuable and memorable. I have gotten so many things out of my experience. I have 40 beautiful sorority sisters that are my best friends and behind me 100% and a great alumnae network. I have gained great communication skills that cant be replaced by any other experience. I have also gained a safe place to be me 100% of the time because of a special retreat I went on my freshmen year I have 83 other people I know I can count on and can always feel safe with for sure. I have gained knowledge and the tools needed to take it to any level I could ever want and the resources to help me get there. Most of all I have gained value of life, people and education, I have learned that passion is what leads people to position; whether it is in their fraternity/sorority or in their persuit to a career. Most valuable is that I learned that while we may be young, we make an impact from every action and decision made on a daily basis, whether positive or negative, we decide.

The worst thing would be that the area surrounding the university is either very rich or very poor so it makes for an interesting off campus life.

I brag about the great professors and the small student to professor ratio as well as the strong feeling of community and the great and diverse amount of clubs and organizations. Also, that there is always a campus event going on so there is no lack of opportunity to meet new people and get involved.

Jesse

Redlands is a very small University which is a great thing. I always know the exact number of students in a class and most if not al of the names of those in my class. The town itself is small so there isn't much to do, but we are only a few hours away from the beach, the moutains, the desert, LA, even Los Vegas if you are willng to drive a bit. There are alwasy people who organize transportaion for off campus events, sports teams, theater, camping, and plenty of other things, all very cheeply and often times completely free.

We have a pretty wide varitey of student sat Redlands. I feel we try to keep an open mind but there will always be deep rooted topic of disagreement. I have had conversations at dinner about upcoming elections, the real meaning of words, or just plans to tan on the quad and study. Most of the students aren;t from the area but we do have our locals, because it is a small school my favorite question to ask people is how they heard about it.

Moral of the story Redlands is a great school, not perfect, but still worth while. We have great professors, an acessible administration team, and plenty of stuff to do when you have nothing else or are just trying to put off a paper, yes we put off papers.

I have yet to meet a professor that doesn;t have tme to help a student, if it's durning office hours, after class or over e-mail they are there to help clarify a lesson or jumpstar an essay or reveiw said essay and help with improvemnts. Of course each class is differnt but other students are usually pretty helpful when you've missed a class or are just looking for a study session. We have recently had a new 24 hour study lounge built under the library that is simply the coolest thing ever. There are comfy couces, tables lots of floor space and private rooms with T.V.s that can be hookes up easily to a laptop for a group study ssession.

I am a member of Alpha Sigma Pi and, though not for everyone, joining a my soroity was a great choice. I didn't make a lot of freinds my first semester, because I was a local so I had people close by to spend time with. So it gave me a chance to connect with the poeple on campus. However some people end up becoming life long friend with there roomates. As far as partying goes there is always something happening on the weekend. With Greek row there will alwasy be someone throwing a party. If Greeks aren't your scene there are always the non-Greek orgainizations who throw a great party too. during the week there are always speakers who come on campus are while they aren;t always great we have had some great poeple come speak to us, my favorite so far is Ben and Jerry, two guys with a great story interesting thoughts and free ice cream, what more could you ask for?

University of Redlands administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.