Redlands, CA
University of Redlands

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Redlands

Additional Loan Options

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

I love Redlands and part of what I love most about it is that everyone loves being here too. The people you see everyday are excited to see you and excited to be a Bulldog. School is school and not everyone loves every single one of their classes but I don't know a single person that doesn't like being here. I think a lot of the times people at bigger state schools feel like they have to be there because of convenience and try to graduate early. At Redlands, most people stick to a four year plan and each one of those four years just adds to the Bulldog experience and makes students excited to be a Bulldog for life. It doesn't matter if you are a music student, an athlete, a member of a Greek organization, a Johnston student, or a regular student you feel like a part of a community.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Although we are a small division III school, people still get really excited for our sports teams. Probably around 20-25% of students compete for one of our 21 sports teams. Fall season just wrapped up with men's soccer reaching the sweet 16, men's water polo competing at the Western Water Polo Association tournament, and football getting a playoff bid. Many of our sports teams consistently place in the top three of our conference, the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SCIAC). I am a member of the swim team and work for the sports information office so I see a wide variety of sports and I think all the sports teams get a lot of support from the students. We also have a few athletic clubs such as Ultimate Frisbee and Men's lacrosse that are not NCAA varsity teams. We also have an intramural sports program that runs year round with various sports such as flag football, beach volleyball, basketball, softball and even life jacket water polo.

The University of Redlands is such a picturesque campus. As you drive down Colton Avenue, you drive right through the middle of campus and you immediately see palm tree's lining the street. To the left is our luscious quad surrounded by dorms on either side and the Chapel sitting at the end. To the right is the original administration building, with tall Greek columns sitting atop a small rose garden and hedge bushes that spell out REDLANDS. As you continue driving down Colton Avenue, you will hit a third stop light and to the left is Hunsaker plaza. Here is the campus post office, campus bookstore, the Irvine Commons Plaza Cafe and University Club that provide food to students. There is a fountain right next to the road and down Hunsaker plaza you see the newly renovated entrance to Armacost Library. To the right is Currier gymnasium, another one of the historic and original buildings on campus. Past Hunsaker plaza you can see the orange groves, tennis courts, and back side of Stauffer Complex which houses the science and math halls. Walking through campus you will see a mixture of historic, classic looking buildings in addition to more modern and sustainable looking buildings. Last year our campus was presented an award for having an arbor friendly campus and with all the different species of trees just on our campus, you will understand why. Our groundskeeping crew works hard to keep the grass green, plants pruned, and tree's trimmed. With the San Bernardino mountains in the background, our campus actually looks like something you would see on a postcard.

What are your classes like?

My classes are typically upper division classes. As a junior I am starting to take upper level courses for my major and minor. I am currently taking a Research Methods for Psychology course and a course on Gender Psychology for my psychology major. I am also taking a physical education class titled Scientific Concepts of P.E. and Sport, which is very similar to an exercise physiology class that is a requirement for my physical education and athletics minor. To cap off my schedule, I am taking an Introduction to Philosophy course to cover one of my core class requirements. I typically have anywhere from 10-30 pages of reading per class a couple nights a week. My research methods has homework assignments from the chapter that are usually only a question or two. Other than that, keeping up with lecture notes and Powerpoints make my classes very manageable.

College is one of the greatest opportunities to get involved and Redlands students are well aware of the many outlets the University provides. Just this past fall, the Greek community welcomed 100 new members and each of the eleven Greek organizations have anywhere from twenty to sixty active members. Additionally, there are professional and service oriented Greek organizations A lot of students are also involved in one of our twenty one varsity athletic programs. I am a member of the swim team and have met the majority of my friends through the swim team I am also involved with Maroon and Grey Student Ambassadors, Big Buddies, and 2013 Society. Other popular clubs and organizations include Outdoor Programs, ASUR our governing student body, Social Affairs, CHAMPS, Habitat for Humanity, Academic Honors Societies, among others. There is always something to do and be a part of.

One of the great things about being at a small liberal arts college is the small class sizes. I can say with confidence that as a junior, each of my professors has known my name and the majority of them still recognize me around campus and ask how I am doing. With small classes, students don't get lost in the mix and class participation actually means something. I am a psychology major with a minor in physical education and athletics. I declared my major after taking Introduction to Psychology and as I was turning in my declaration my professor was in the psychology office. I later found out she would be my advisor and she has been extremely helpful in providing me with resources and keeping me on track to graduate. Professors are great at offering their time outside of class and being as helpful as they can. My favorite class so far has been Instructional Strategies for Physical Education. The class was for my minor and I expected it to be an easy class that would teach me how to be a P.E. teacher. The class was so much more than that. Professor Scott Kerby taught us way beyond being just a P.E. teacher but being an educator and what that means to students, parents, and fellow educators. That class changed my perspective on what I wanted to do with my future and I think the change is for the better. What's great and unique about academics at Redlands is the flexibility. The Johnston program allows for students to create their own major or emphasis. Outside of Johnston, advisors and professors are great about working with students to make sure they can get what they want out of their time spent in class. For instance, I want to end up with a master's degree in sport psychology. Although there are not sport psychology courses consistently offered, I have talked with my professors about what I want to do and they are very helpful in allowing me to steer my assignments toward sport psychology. Overall, classes are what you get out of them but professors make it very easy to get the most out of their class.

Lorenzo

There is a certain charm that the University of Redlands has that cannot be sufficed by box filled with text. If you have the opportunity please come and visit! I am Latino gay male and looking for a college in which I could still continue to be the person that I am was a challenge. However, I found it! The University of Redlands, while in a relatively conservative area, is very accepting towards LGBTQ. To this day I have not received any significant malice or bullying that would make me feel unhappy or uncomfortable. I accepted and appreciated We are a pretty small school with about 2400 students. Classes are pretty small and your professor will always know your name, if you allow so. Professors will become a large part of you college career both in class but outside. I have a few of my professor counsel me in what I should do over my summers in order for me to build a resume that will enable me to get into grad school. 100% of the professors have given me letters of recommendations that have allowed me to get prestigious internships and fellowships. A lot of doors have been opened for me.

Some of our most popular clubs at Redlands are the ones that deal with giving or helping the community. The greek life at Redlands is relatively small. We have less than 30% of our students participating in greek life. All of our fraternities and sororities are local, we have no big nationals. They all tend to throw parties on the weekend and students do like to go to them, but that does not define our party scene. We have OP (outdoor programs) which is an office here on campus that organizes different trips to essentially get you off campus and into the environment. If you like hiking, rock climbing, skiing, snowboarding, camping, canoeing, kayaking, etc, then you will like OP.

We have students from all over the United Stated and from different counties. We do have a high concentration of students that are from southern california, but that does not detract from the overall diverse community. We are in southern california which means that the weather is always going to be NICE! Typically the students at Redlands wear shorts and flip-flops. Politically, we have a lot of students that are conservative and a lot of students that are liberal. It's 50/50.

It all depends on the course that you are taking. The amount of work is based on the type of course. Math and Science courses will have their fair share of work as English and Psychology will too. Tutoring at Redlands is free which is sweet! You are allowed two hours of tutoring per course, so if you are taking four courses (general load) and you need tutoring in all of them then that is eight hours of FREE tutoring! I am double major in Psychology and Creative Writing and almost all of my courses have been discussion based. It is great because you get a lot of interaction with your professor and other students. I came to college to broaden my horizons (cliche) and hear the different opinions of students from all over. That is exactly what I am getting.

There is a common stereotype that our school is filled with rich white students. I must, however, debunk that stereotype because while there are some students who are able to pay full tuition we also have about 80% of our students receiving financial aid. Our school is not very racially or ethnically diverse, however the students that represent different races and ethnicities are VERY open about expressing their pride. We have a very popular office of Campus Diversity and Inclusion that is made of of the Multicultural Center, Women's Center, and Pride Center. We value all of them because they enrich our campus beautifully.

Kassandra

I know a lot of people think that Johnston college kids are hippies, weird, etc, but a lot of them are really chill, down to earth people! I can't think of any specific stereotype for the entire college...I can say with honesty that I think, for such a small school, we have a lot of diversity!

LeeAnn

Redlands (the university) is my home. I love how beautiful and green the campus is, the weather is great, everyone is friendly, classes are small, professors are personable and helpful... It is just an overall amazing blend of all things I think a University should have and take pride in.

What's the Greek scene like?

We have 6 sororities and 6 fraternities on campus, and all of our chapters are local, meaning that they are unique to our campus. Most social events are put on by greek life and there is normally something going on every weekend, however the greeks are not just about partying. They contribute a majority of the community service hours that the campus does as a whole and all make sure that academics stay a priority. Personally I feel that most greeks are really integrated into the campus community as a whole. Athletes, Johnston students, students from just about every major on campus, and most are involved outside of their greek organization. I also feel that the greeks mesh well as a whole are really friendly with one another and with non-greek students as well.

What are your classes like?

Classes are challenging and demanding, however the professors do a good job at making sure that students stay engaged and understand the material. A lot of the classes are discussion based, giving the students a chance to be more involved with their studies and contribute to the class. I am science student so most of my classes are lecture based, however there are professors who try innovative methods of teaching to better fit the learning needs of the students.

There are over 100 clubs and organizations on campus, and a good majority of the students are involved with more than one. The biggest groups are Greek Life and Intramurals. Community service organizations are vast and very popular including Big Buddies and Habitat for Humanity. Also I feel that students are really good about supporting each other when it comes to sporting events and Social Affair events (Redlands Got Talent, etc). Personally I am involved with Greek Life, Tom's Club, Chemistry Club, Denominators, Admissions Host, and Order of Omega (Greek Honors Society).

I think a lot of outsiders see the U of R as only rich white students. However this is NOT the case. I know people from all walks of life that attend school here. While some people may associate with a certain clique, students don't feel the need to stick to these groups and aren't afraid to branch out and hang out with one another.

Alyssa

Naming the best things about this school is something that would take a lot of time, simply because there are so many. The community here is what really sold me. Sure, we are a small private liberal arts school, but everyone is generally welcoming and kind to each other, whether you know them or you don't. Here it isn't weird to say hello to someone passing you bye, which is really nice. I feel like I am part of something special here and not just another student in the masses. We only have 2400 students and while that is smaller than my high school by about a 1000, I actually like it. Class sizes are smaller, professors like to be called by their first names, etc. When I tell people that I go to University of Redlands, a lot of people first ask where that is, and then respond with "oh, thats nice!" which means that they've simply never heard of it. But lately its more of a "I've heard of that school! it seems really nice!" or "they have a beautiful campus there!" Which makes me smile. :)

The thing that I personally LOVE about the UofR is that we aren't just a number. Here is where our professors know our names, and not only that, but they also know what we are interested in and who we are as a person and not just another paper that they have to grade. They get to know our personalities and can ask us about certain things if they are interested. This being said, our professors here all have office hours that are open to all students, and a lot of the professors are really quick to respond to a question via email. Also, some professors even give out their cell phone numbers should you have a question as well. Our classes here are mainly discussion based so class participation is not only common is expected. If you think you can sit in class and not talk at all, you are incorrect. We are expected to come to class prepared and ready for a discussion and not only with our classmates, but with the professor as well. This adds a level of work to the class, but it also is something I love because you get so much more out of the class material this way. :) Right now I am in a class that focuses solely on Popular Culture. Its a Social-Antropology class that is all about how our generation views popular culture and how it has changed over time. SUPER interesting :) I feel like our school is definitely geared towards getting a job but then also on learning. Students here all take classes because they are interested in them, which fuels our desire to get jobs after graduation. There are so many opportunities that a Redlands student has by just being student here for job opportunities and internships. Its just a matter of who takes advantage of them.

Here at Redlands, I feel that there aren't really any crazy stereotypes. There are certainly groups of people that hang out together, but there aren't people that don't hang out with certain people because of what their major is or what organization they are part of. Part of the reason that I chose this school was because of the breaking down of the walls between groups. For example, in one of my classes I sit next to a sorority girl on one side and a football player on the other. And just being a student is what defines us. There aren't any special treatments to certain groups over others, something that I feel makes Redlands unique. :)

Art

From the outside; hippies, privileged white kids, jocks, etc. From the inside though it depends. Johnston students tend to be seen as hippies, fraternity/sorority kids tend to be seen as people with only party on their mind. Depends where you go really. Really though, we're a lot more complex than that.

John

Since my first day on campus as a freshman, I have been extremely happy with my choice to attend Redlands. All my classes are small and I maintain good relations with my professors. Outside of class the OP (Outdoor Programs) center runs trips every weekend to a variety of destinations. For example, I went to Zion, Utah for my "First Year Seminar". I met 8-10 other freshmen and we stayed in the park for about 3 days. During our stay we hiked, road mountain bikes and played fun sports and games. My sophmore year I signed up for OP's fall break trip to San Diego. There, the group surfed , wakeboarded and water skied, and rode bike downtown. Besides the great OP program the school has a solid social atmosphere with many clubs and organizations on campus not including Greek life. Basically whatever your interests are you can find it here at Redlands.

The campus has beautiful architecture and the land is well maintained by facilties. The quad is home to our many intramural sports and multicultural events throughout the year. Snow covered mountains present the backdrop of campus.

What are your classes like?

Classes are small and interactive. My largest class I have taken here was Intro to Psychology. It had about 30 students. Now, as a senior, my upper division business classes range anywhere between 10 to 20 students. I enjoy my classes because the professor knows me and what I am capable of when it comes to tests, homework, group projects, individual assignments, etc.

One stereotype at our school revolves around the Johnston program. Rumor has it that Johnston students are lazy hippies. This is in fact not true. To disprove the fact, Johnston students are in charge of their own education the first day they come to school. It is their responsibility to design their major, negotiate a contract system, and set course goals and objectives throughout their 4 year college career. The Johnston school has graduated prominent students that have gone on to work for NASA, TOMs and other well known businesses.

What are the most popular classes offered?

It all really depends on the student's major. Since I am a business major I can say from personal experience that the most popular classes are marketing and human resources. Those classes tend to fill up very quickly. I also know that intro to psychology is a very popular course for all students. Lastly, the most popular classed at Redlands are usually offered during our May term. Since students take 1 class during the month of May, those classes gravitate towards "specialty" classes such as Mother Earth Chemistry, the science of making beer and wine.

I love the University of Redlands! My only advice to perspective students: come check out Redlands and see the amazing potential this small university has to offer.

I think the most popular student activities/groups on campus are Greek life, OP (outdoor programs), sports, intramural teams, Big Buddies, Habitat for Humanity, Con-vocational lecture series, concerts, Multicultural festival and Fallfest or Springfest.

Walking around campus one will notice the friendliness of the student population. With the sun constantly shining students can't help but smile. Everyone does their homework on the quad or by the pool. Students get together for lunch and congregate to the outside tables. Personally I enjoy the weather and laid back atmosphere. The school is small enough to be familiar with the many faces but large enough to constantly meet and make friends with the new faces.

As a business student I feel my courses are challenging and insightful. Not only do I learn basic theories from the professors and text books but I have had the opportunity to get real world experience out in the field. In my BUS 226 class I acted as a health inspector for some local restaurants in the area. After the inspection I put together a business strategy to help the restaurants avoid critical issues in the future. In my junior year my adviser and Career services helped land an internship in the summer with one of the largest privately held companies in the world. With a business administration degree from the University of Redlands I am confident that I will launch my career upon graduation.

At a liberal arts college, such as Redlands, a diverse group of students attend this university to become critical thinkers and responsible doers. I would not say there is a certain stereotype on the Redlands campus. We have students from 44 different states outside California. These students study business, psychology, communicative disorders, international relations, government, music, and many other majors offered on campus. And if a major is not offered, students can design their own education in the Johnston program.

A

When I was going through the college search process, I was looking for a place to build community away from home. I found that community at Redlands. It became a second home to me, and the people around me grew to be a second family. There were constantly things to do, see and learn. Every day was different, with new opportunities. In two weeks I hiked the tallest mountain in Southern California, listened to Jane Goodall, cried as Maya Angelou read her poetry, and got free frozen yogurt. Redlands provides each of its students with the possibility to do more, see more, and learn more about themselves, their peers, and the world in which they go on to change. Students here are extremely driven to truly be the positive change they want to see in the world.

Redlands students are so involved, and there are so many clubs that it is hard to list the most “popular” ones. About 18% of our students are involved in our local, social sororities and fraternities. We have a strong Invisible Children club, Students for Environmental Action, Big Buddies and our own Outdoor Programs. OP is my all-time favorite organization. It’s open to everyone on campus, and student leaders will lead trips every weekend to go rock climbing, go to the beach, and hike and camp in Joshua Tree, just to name a few. Students here are extremely social; it’s almost impossible to not find something to do, although it seems the freshman who previously posted here doesn’t know about these great opportunities. It’s so easy! We have a lot of signs all over campus promoting so many different ways to get active and involved! People are almost always at the pool, playing on the Quad, or hanging out.

My peers here somehow manage to be laid back and driven at the same time. It’s quite a feat to balance those two traits so well, but we Redlands students do it! We know how to study hard, positively influence whatever communities in which we find ourselves, exceed our own expectations, and still make awesome, meaningful relationships. People here are friendly. They actually care about you, and that makes a comfortable space to challenge yourself and hang out with people you might not have in high school or back home.

The classes are small and all taught by professors who actually know you as a student. This is the best aspect of classes at Redlands. Another awesome aspect is the flexibility. Since it is a smaller school it’s not impossible to get classes you need. This allows more flexibility to take classes outside of your department or major, which truly improves the well-roundedness of the students. You can also get credit for classes abroad, which really opens up the possibilities. I took classes in Barcelona and Costa Rica, which was phenomenal.

There are probably a few stereotypes of the types of students at Redlands, none of which are very accurate. There is the jock stereotype, the party-er, the Greek student, and the hippie stereotypes. It speaks to our diversity that there are so many different stereotypes to choose from! No. There are student athletes, and there are students who are more free-thinking. The positive thing about the Redlands community is that it is small, and these students will almost always end up rubbing shoulders with one another at some point. It’s hard to surround yourself solely with completely like-minded individuals. As a student, I was constantly being challenged by my friends and peers to think outside the box. I was almost always surrounded by students around whom I was comfortable, but constantly learning. This is just one example of how the education that Redlands provides spans across the boundary of the classroom.

A beautiful campus, great teachers, and a great administrative board that keeps in touch with you even after you have graduated and started your career.

Since I have only been in college for one semester, I have not been able to experience everything that the University of Redlands has to offer yet. What I have been able to experience is: amazing teaching staff, great community, a beautiful campus, freedom, and courses that push you to the best scholar. The teaching staff at Redlands is very applicable to the students. They are always ready for class, ready to answer questions, and open to meeting outside of class to help you with your questions. Even if you might not be able to meet with a professor one-on-one, there are still numerous programs on campus that are here to help. The community of students is by far the best I have ever seen. Everyone is welcoming and friendly and willing to help you out with anything you have. The dorms offer a great chance to meet with other students that have the same interests as you or are in the same class as you. I have had an amazing first semester at the University of Redlands, and I cannot wait for the upcoming years as I continue to advance in my academic career and social experiences.

University of Redlands is a school that is going to push you, undoubtably harder than you have ever been pushed before; however, here you have the support of not only your fellow students, but the professors as well.

College is like nothing I have ever experienced, ever before. From moving out of the house and living on campus, to having literally three hours of homework every single night, college has taught me so much about time management. Managing time is such an important lesson that students should learn- cleaning rooms, going to class, working out at the gym, rushing sororities, doing homework, going to clubs and whatever else hardly leaves any room for showering and sleeping it seems! It took me a while to find a happy median between all of the above, but I feel at ease about everything now, and I am really glad that I have been learning how to manage time. Another very important lesson that i've gained at colllege is money management. That buying that fifteen- dollar shirt really does "break the bank." Other than these lessons, going to school here has been the most rewarding thing- academically and socially that I have ever experienced.

The best part about University of Redlands is the professor to student ratio; all of my teachers know me by first and last name, whether I have turned in an assignment or not, and if I go to class which really, really pushes me to work even harder in all of my classes.

University of Redlands administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.