Redlands, CA
University of Redlands

Video courtesy of University of Redlands.

The University of Redlands is a private, independent university centrally located from the beaches, mountains and desert in the heart of southern California.

Recognized for having one of the highest study abroad participation rates among our peers, Redlands students travel the world, choosing from more than 100 programs.

View the Full Summary

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Redlands

Fixed  rate loan

Caitlen

My classmates are eager to succeed and willing to work with each other to accomplish a set goal.

I would tell myself that college is a time of discovery not only regarding academics, but also regarding life. I would also tell myself to take it easy and not to fret the small stuff. College is a time of self discovery, making new friends and growing up. Don't be so worried about what every one will think about the decisions you make and don't pressure yourlsef to be perfect 100% of the time.

The worst thing about my school is the lack of diversity.

The Johnston Center! As a member of Johnston. I get to personalize my education by creating my own major and taking the classes I want to take. I get narrative evaluations instead of grades. It's great!

Go with your gut! If you like a school, chances are you will like going there. Take others' advice, but don't let them influence you too much. Ultimately, you're the one who is going to spend 4 years at this place, so make the decision for yourself.

The food options have their high points and low points just like any other school...

Aleisha

1. Be true to yourself and don't get caught up in the social scene by trying to fit in. There are people like you for you and your true friends will be there before, during, and after the drama. 2. Stay focused on your goal and the values you grew up with. Nobody is going to give you a great job or a healthy family because you were the one in college that partied the most or had the most friends. 3. Get out there and get involved! It allows you to make new friends, give back to the community, gain new experiences, and/or view life at different perspectives. 4. Find a balance between studying, socializing, and sleeping. Too much of one and not enough of the others make it a little more difficult to stay focused and healthy.

Either the financial aid packet or the professors. The packet creates an opportunity for many middle to low income people to receive a quality higher education. The professors have a passion for what their teaching and really get you in engaged in the material. They are extremely friendly and willing to help, which makes the college experience that much better.

The small classes are amazing! It allows students to build a relationship/bond with teachers and other students. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved on campus. The financial aid packet is amazing! The classes they have available and stucture of their academic program make it easy to graduate in 4 years. All the professors are friendly and anxious to help you succeed. The athletic teams dominate their leagues and the coaches are more than qualified for their position. The size of the school is small enough to know alot of people but large enough to have some privacy.

sam

Redlands is located in kind of a "ghetto" area. School started about 2 months ago and there have already been 3 muggins. The buildings are old and creepy and not definitely not as beautiful as everyone makes it out to be. Overall: very average.

The student body is not very diverse. If you are not an athlete, there is not much for you to do here.

The academics here are very good. There aren't many classes to choose from, but the ones they do offer are very good. The professors are nice and its easy to be on a first name basis with all of them.

There is never much going on here. People consider the most fun thing here to be the "brockton parties" which usually consist of about 5 kids just trying to get drunk and "go crazy" at college. Basically the social life is a joke.

David

This school is closest to my home and the area in which I grew up. Everything I need from groceries to close family is nearby. This school also offered the most financial aid and has some of the smallest class sizes in comparison to other schools.

Alright kiddo, don't stress too much about college. You have done everything you can to prepare yourself up to this point. Remember that you finally get to go be yourself at a home away from home. Eddie, Mark and Sarah will still look up to you. Make them proud and be sure to do things that you would want them to someday do as well. Make your dorm room comfortable yet practical and always get work done before you go out to have fun. You're here to work hard now so you can enjoy life later. That being said, don't neglect your social life for work. Do your work well and make time for friends and family. Finding the balance between work and friends is what will make or break you in college. Either because you aren't doing well due to poor study habits or because you aren't doing well due to lack of support. As strong as you want to be you will always need someone to be next to you cheering you on. As smart as you want to be you will always have to study hard to do well. Good luck kiddo.

I brag most about the residence hall life here. Students are challenged everyday by their Community Assistants to take an active role in their school community.

Ruby

The Johnston center of learning which allows students to create their own majors to their likings. The music school is very large and prestigious. Also the drug use on campus is quite popular and many teachers and other academic people are very aware of the recreational use on campus.

I don't think there is really a way to know about the right school until you find it or you get to campus and you realize this is the place I want to be. Sometimes the first choice isn't the right one. Its very important to feel comfortable with all aspects of the school you are attending. Being involved makes college all the better, being greek and an athlete provides so many amazing experiences that you wouldn't get otherwise. College is the best time of your life if you give it the chance.

Very conversative students may feel out of place, the campus is very open. Many of the students are very liberal. The campus strives for diversity and acceptance of all lifestyles and choices.

Alannah

The University of Redlands is very diverse, and is also not too huge for those who don't prefer big campuses.

When looking for the right school, don't just rush in or only pick one that you think you really wanna go to and then regret it later. Take your time, search thuroughly and schedule campus visits so you can get a hands-on feel for the campus. Talk to some of the students and faculty to get an idea of the curriculum and academic programs. Also, if possible, schedule an overnight so you can get the full dorm life experience. After that, decide which school you felt more comfortable at and that will ultimately be your college choice.

Some students seem to think that they have a free ride just because they go to a top school.

Rebecca

?I think you?re good at empowering and healing people. I think you?re good at empowering women,? the advisor rattled off with precise articulation, as if he were reciting a well-rehearsed poem. I was given these words when I was questioning my identity. Ah. Guidance. If only it were that easy! But it wasn?t. When I discovered the Johnston program within the University of Redlands, I was overjoyed to identify my passions and craft an emphasis that strengthened them. However, learning the initiative and management skills were the backbreaking methods to my emergence as a true leader. When I think of The University of Redlands, and the high ratings I gave it in campusdiscovery.com?s survey, I think of Johnston. Yet, because the College of Arts and Sciences at Redlands and the Johnston Center are combined in a constructive environment, I had so many choices. I could design my women?s studies classes and take classes in the art department, taking away skills to create my own activist-focused art. I learned to be an entrepreneur for myself. Simply put, that?s what I want for my children someday: lots of choices and entrepreneurial leadership.

I wish I'd known about the Johnston Center within Redlands, which is an alternative college program where one can design their own degree. I transferred to this program. My evaluations mostly assess the Johnston program, though I also kept in mind my experiences in the College of Arts and Sciences within the U of R in my assessments.

U of R is in a college town, and it's small. It's easy to make community connections and find friends, but I missed the big-city feel of living in other cities in my life, like Portland, OR, or Amsterdam for my semester abroad. The environment is supportive from a large-scale view, but it is also very cliquey in petty ways. I think the best thing for that is more community-based programming and a re-designed version of the First Year Seminar, a peer group for new students.

Heath

Great university with professors who care about their subjects and teaching them.

To find the college or university that best suits your needs, I would advise turning to the internet first. This can be a huge time-saver, and, with the information flow on the internet today, it is assuredly a best bet. Armed with a web-site like Campusdiscovery.com, students and families are bound to narrow down their search for the right school in a matter of minutes! One can browse through colleges based on very specific preferences and even see what the current students are saying about it. Once a particular interest is gained, a campus visit can be a helpful option. This can be expensive, but it is a great way for the student to experience the campus, social life, and environment first-hand. As far as making the most of the college experience is concerned, it is all about attitude and participation. Students will find that they will enjoy their college years if they have a positive attitude. Stay connected with people, make new friends, and try to attend events that appeal to your interests. Just remember to stay safe and keep a sharp mind for your studies.

Small classrooms with interactive teachers; beautiful campus.

Melissa

Go to the school, stay a night there if you can. There is no other way of knowing whether or not it is the right fit. Don't out-rule private schools! It is not as expensive as you think. Most private schools give excellent financial aid!

I wish I had known more about the people in greek life so I would know it is much different here. Other than that, I feel like I knew a lot coming into the university

A person who relys on others to make friends. There are plenty of people who are nice, but they will not do the work for you. If you are introduced to someone new by someone else it is up to you to make the conversation

University of Redlands administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.