Redlands, CA
University of Redlands

Video courtesy of University of Redlands.

The University of Redlands is a private, independent university centrally located from the beaches, mountains and desert in the heart of southern California.

Recognized for having one of the highest study abroad participation rates among our peers, Redlands students travel the world, choosing from more than 100 programs.

View the Full Summary

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Redlands

Fixed  rate loan

Shelley

A small, friendly and dynamic interdiciplinary institution.

A small, friendly and dynamic interdiciplinary institution.

Every college is going to give you the education you need to be successful in the "real world," and any book or counselor will be able to point you towards the college that is best suited for your intended major or career. What is most important, in my opinion, when deciding which college to attend is to visit the campus and see if the "vibe" is right for you. What I mean by this is that each school has an intangible aura, present in the student body, professors, and classes that elicits a different feeling in each person, of either comfort or distress. Walk through the halls and try to imagine yourself in a year walking there as a student, would you feel content? Once in college, take advantage of every possible opportunity, because you will only be at that school, with those people, and at that moment in your life once (and you're paying for those opportunities!). Don't let anyone or anything stop you from meeting someone, taking a class, or joining an organization. There is nothing worse than leaving college saying, "I wish I'd done..." and nothing better than saying, "I have no regrets."

The lack of culture in the surrounding city, also the lack of public transportation.

Leah

The University of Redlands is a fun-loving, intelligent environment home to many driven students with diverse, and often ground-breaking, beliefs and goals

The Johnston Center for Integrative Studies is one of a very small number of independant studies available to students in the modern American college/university path.

Follow your heart. This is a huge decision, and the decision can not be made according to what you can afford, or even what you hope to gain from the college experience. The choice needs to be all about a single factor, and do you know what that factor is? Neither do I. It's something you've got to find for yourself. The one thing that I ABSOLUTELY needed from college was an independant studies program and a place where all of my insane interest could come together to (somehow) form a degree. Maybe for you the factor is more than 40,000 students or the very best biology labs in the nation. Once you find that driving force then you go for it without relent. Make no compromises, and don't settle for what someone else suggests. This is the first time that the decison is all on you! Don't mess it up, as I believe you won't.

Lindsey

My classmates usually like to participate in discussion and critical thinking if the teacher fosters this kind of interaction...

The most important thing about finding the right college is about where one feels comfortable and able to express themselves as individuals. Your education is really what YOU make of it, and in order to make the best of your education, I think you need to feel comfortable to be yourself in that setting.

I wish I would have known that the school is lacking in ethnic/racial diversity.

Victoria

My school is best known for their communicative disorders program and their excellent sports teams.

Make sure you visit the colleges that you apply to and get accepted to because when you visit the schools it helps you get a feel of what the campus is like and whether or not you think you will fit in with the other students. In order to make the most of the college experience make sure you become involved in all the activities that your school offers too because that is a good way to stay busy and meet new friends.

I believe that any person who wants to get an education could attend this school

Iyleen

I would definitely look into the academic programs that the schools offer as well as visit the schools beforehand to see what their facilities are like. I would also interview students who go to that school and get their personal viewpoints. Also check to see if that school provides financial aid to students who are below a certain income level.

The best thing about my school is the small classroom sizes and the fact that the professor knows each individual person in that classroom. We are able to have more productive and open classroom discussions and the professors strongly encourages students to express their viewpoints in class. They are also available to students for extra help and advice outside of class. They definitely respond to their emails in a timely manner. They are also willing to help the students do well in the class and are flexible of students handing in their work late.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that not all dorms have the same facilities despite the fact that we all pay the same room and board fee. Some dorms do not have air conditioning whereas other dorms do. Also some dorms are more run down and old whereas other dormitories have been renovated and are brand new. There are dormitories that are very close to the lecture halls and cafeteria and library whereas other dormitories are faraway. The university has been rather slow in renovating and maintaining the old dorms also building more dorms to maintain the population.

Jackie

When I stepped foot onto the campus, I knew it was my new home. My simple advice is to go to each campus you are considering and see how you feel there. Stay and make appointments to meet with advisors and students to get the feel of the school. It is truly your home away from home.

Every kind of person should attend this school. There are so many opportunities to thrive and excel at this university. We are a very diverse campus and take pride in that as well as our academics.

Honestly? Waking up for an 8 AM class. For everything else there is more than enough help from professors, faculty and staff, as well as tutoring on campus.

Isaac

My classmates do as little as possible and rarely participate in discussions.

My classmates do as little as possible and rarely participate in discussions.

Visit the school during the academic year and make sure to sit in on classes. In order to properly gague the fit of the school you must be willing to put forth the effort both in online research as well as in-person visits.

There is little trust between professors and students- we are not often treated as adults but rather as children who need coddling.

Theresa

My school is supportive and helpful of my goals.

My school is supportive and helpful of my goals.

I would tell them to explore a school's options for prospective students visiting the campus, such as overnight stays and sitting in on classes, so they can see if they like the school more. I would also tell them to find schools with class sizes that are smaller, which usually means a private shcool, but it really is beneficial and although I have never had a class size larger than 30 students at my university, everything I have heard about large class sizes is negative. Another thing to pay attention to is the number of majors offered. If you don't know what you want to do for sure, pick a school that has a variety you might be able to choose from as opposed to a school with only three majors (yes it's out there) so that you won't be stuck down the road. Also, don't count out universities where the major you are interested in is small because that does NOT mean it is not as good.

I tell them how beautiful my campus is and how much I love the small class sizes.

Kailey

Visit the college. If you can, stay over night. Just because it's a prestigious school, doesn't mean it's the best for you. Sometimes smaller is better. Get out and get involved. The more involved you are, the more friends you'll make. Make your own decisions; you don't necessarily have to listen to everything your new-found friends say. Most importantly, be yourself!

College in general is very very different from highschool. Keep your head on straight and don't get carried away by your new found freedom.

Someone who wants a small town and small school experience. The biggest class size I've heard of was 30 or less. There's a huge variety of classes so someone who doesn't know what they want to do, has the perfect opportunity to take whatever they want.

University of Redlands administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.