University of Rhode Island Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Rhode Island

I love it! Gorgeous campus, friendly people, great academics and I feel incredibly comfortable in and out of class. In class, discussions are held and everyone who wishes to participate is more than welcome. I have never felt ashamed or embarrassed to ask a question with my peers. We are give numerous opportunities to build our skills through internships or work study. All faculty I have encountered has been more than willing to help me, whether it be academic advisors, financial advisors or technology help desk workers. The library is large and always available to us and the location is perfect.

Mackenzie

URI is definitely a school I would recommend. Not only is campus beautiful, but it is filled with passionate students and teachers that bring life to it. It is also situated right near the ocean, so students have a place to relax their minds when school is stressful. I'm currently taking part in the best program URI has to offer, the International Engineering Program. It's a 5 year program, in which students study their respective engineering discipline alongside a language of their choice. One year is spent abroad, attending a partner university for a semester and then doing an internship for the next. Every student in this program receives a Bachelor of Science (Engineering) as well as a Bachelor of Arts (language). I recommend this program to anyone, and URI is the only school in the states to offer it!

Spencer

I love the school very much and the academics are amazing. It would be much nicer if there were more stores and restaurants in more of a walking distance. There are some places at the top of campus to go but sometimes it is nice to get off campus. If you really want to get off campus, you need a car usually and have to travel around 20 minutes.

Meagan

The University of Rhode Island is a very good school. The campus size and location are perfect. Class sizes are great. They are above average in civil engineering and that is my major. URI is considered a great value for the money. There are many extra curricular clubs that you can participate in.

The university of rhode island is the perfect size for someone who wants to not know everyone they walk by. There are opportunities to meet someone new every day. There are plenty of activities and clubs to get involved in and there is something for everybody. After my first week of classes, I felt even more excited about my choice of school.

Brian

Upon visiting numerous times the Univerity of Rhode Island has become a school that I have grown to love ever since I stepped onto campus. I am happy to announce that it will be my home for the next four years and I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Rhody Rhody Rhody...Rams Rams Rams!

Emmani

Ever since I transferred to the University of Rhode Island, I feel like I have been happier than I have ever been. The people are amazing, it’s very diverse, the food is great, the sporting events are spectacular, and the teachers are out of this world. I wish I would’ve found this place sooner.

Zoe

As a sophomore here at the University of Rhode Island, I have enjoyed my first year and this current fall semester. As a science major the workload is heavy but many resources are given for harder classes such as math, chemistry, and physics. We have an “Academic Enhancement Center” where upperclassmen who are in the specific major (subject) you are struggling in, can help you with homework and labs. Another great aspect of URI, is the campus size. Getting to classes is not too strenuous and at most takes about 10 minutes. On campus life laid back; dining is easily accessible and provides a wide variety of food to accommodate for different dietary needs and lifestyles. We also have a “quad” where many pop up stands are and gatherings are held. Greek life here at URI is very popular. Some greek life activities are held on the “quad” as well. Many of the buildings here have undergone construction and remodeling so our campus is pretty up to date with technological advances. Once again, being an Animal Science (AVS) major, I must include that we do have a farm at URI. From sheep to horses to cows, all AVS students take classes at the farm; with this we get beneficial hands on experience with the large animals. Some improvements I would recommend for URI would be; to create more parking lots and promote a “zero-tolerance” for littering. Parking at URI is increasing scarce, especially with the new destruction of one of our lots, to the become new residential housing. Lastly, in my year and a half at URI, I have noticed that although we have trash cans scattered throughout campus, there is still a lot of litter around. I hope that URI will soon address this matter since it directly affects their campus quality (plant life, animal life, etc). Overall my academic and social life have been great at the University of Rhode Island and I look forward to continuing my education at this lovely institution.

Edward

As a freshman, I loved URI. It is every high school student's exact idea of college. With parties that resembled Animal House and girls that could have been on the cover of Sports Illustrated (Bikini Edition), I fell in love with URI by the end of the first semester. However, as I have grown and I now focus more on my academics and career, I realize the University of Rhode Island lacks an essential piece that is necessary to build a successful, intelligent student body: experience. I can assure you that the Engineering curriculum has been extremely challenging through the past two and a half years, but how does that affect students in a beneficial way? High stress levels and panic attacks surely ensue for many students when big exams are coming up, along with the finale of extreme pressure that the University calls "Finals Week." All the anxiety-ridden nights of memorizing formulas, diagrams, and charts that will probably be forgotten over summer break. Nonetheless, the students adapt and take proper precautions to perform as well as possible in each class. However, what bothers me the most about the University is that the curriculum lacks interactive learning. As a future mechanical engineer, I expect URI to teach me how to use machines like die pullers, injection molding, lathes, welders, and drill presses; instead, I am forced to teach myself about these machines in my free time, when I'm NOT studying or doing homework. I have been in the machine shop for class a total of two times in the past two and a half years. The school curriculum also lacks when it comes to program usage for engineering. There are several programs that I will be expected to use as an entry-level mechanical engineer that I have never used in my life. So, as I struggle to perform to my fullest ability academically, I am also forced to teach myself about ACTUAL engineering tools in my free time. In this day and age, with the technological advances that have been made, I do not believe books and written exams are the most effective way of teaching and preparing students to be successful in each of our careers paths.

Hayley

Overall I am really happy with URI. I really love the people there and the environment.

Robert

I love the University of Rhode Island I so much! There is so much to do and so many opportunities to get involved. I have made so many friends and am so glad I chose to spend my undergrad here! I chose URI for the Leadership Studies Program, and that has opened up so many opportunities for me both inside and outside of the classroom.

Scott

Great school

stephanne

Its a good school but some of the students are stuck in high school. you realize soon enough that sometimes branching off into your own thing is what is best for you. I find myself enjoying my own company as I stay longer on campus, and thats something i have never been fond of.

Catherine

"You're going there for the school" - My mother kept telling me as I was driving up from CT. Honestly, I believe her and I’m here for the academics. I’m in the Doctor of Pharmacy 6 – year program which is an amazing and structured program that produces many successful pharmacists. Although, it may not be all about the academics, you have to live there too. It is your home away from home. You have to love the food(more like, like or tolerate the food, no one loves dining hall food! Even though they do a pretty good job!), be happy in your dorm, and enjoy spending weekends on campus. URI is a good mix of everything. Study hard and party even harder! Even if you don’t party, it gives you amazing people to hang with and just have a good time! Everyone is warm and very nice. The facilities on campus are also well maintained and very nice. The gyms are clean and the hours are not too bad. The dining halls are new and although the hours aren’t the best, there is always the Ram’s den to grab something. All the academic buildings are air conditioned and the classes are very good. The academics are strong, well at least for the sciences! Overall URI is a fun and educational school that is a good balance between school and life.

Zachary

I have enjoyed my time thus far and am excited to continue attending URI. I have met many great friends and have not experienced a single professor I did not enjoy. Although there are not a ton of things to do off campus, the social aspect of the school is excellent. Through Greek Life and other organizations, I feel that I have branched out more than I possibly imagined I would. This is definitely a place where I feel at home.

Kyle

Overall, URI is a great university, for students of almost any path of interest. URI offers a wide array of majors and minors so incoming students will be able to find a major suited to their goals or interests. There is a strong Marine Biology program (based on my experience), as well as a strong engineering, pharmacy, and nursing program. The campus is very safe, with high security, yet has a reputation in the past of being a "party school," though this should not be an issue for those who do not wish to partake in such activities. URI offers many extracurricular activities, so students have an opportunity to participate in activities suited to their own interests easily. URI also provides many scholarship and internship opportunities to students, although students must take responsibility to seek these opportunities themselves for their best interest. The meal plan at URI gives many options for students with any accommodations, although the quality of food is often complained about by students.

Joy

University of Rhode island is a great school both academically and socially! There are plenty of different courses offered with professors TA's and tutors available for help when needed. There are over 180 student organizations and plenty of parties.

Danica

I have only finished my first year at University of Rhode Island and I can say that I am proud that I chose to become a RHODY RAM! I met amazing people and created lifelong friendships, there's always something for somebody whether its the gym or the theater or an organization. The food can always be better. Professors are amazing, they want to be involved and be available for students if they need help.

Melissa

The university of Rhode Island has given me classes that are challenging, professors that support me, extracurriculars that keep me happy and healthy - I love it here. My goal is to get my PhD in Chemistry, and I feel like the University of Rhode Island is the best stepping stone I could have taken.

Alexa

I believe that the University of Rhode Island is a safe and rigorous learning environment. I am only a freshmen that just finished my fall semester but I have felt welcomed since the very beginning. Professors make their office hours known and always make sure that they are available to answer any questions students may have. It is an extremely beautiful campus especially with it being a very agricultural based school. People were extremely easy to get along with and everyone is so dedicated and driven into their academics. The University of Rhode Island is a good fit for me and I am lucky to say that I found myself there.

Christopher

It's a fantastic school, with many opportunities for all kinds of students. The university has something to offer to everyone. The academics are quite good, but, like most schools, are lacking in some areas. The Chemistry department is filled with many professors who are passionate about their job, but don't know how to teach. They are very qualified and are knowledgeable, but often it is hard for them to relay the information back in a way students understand. I have heard this about the math department, but have not seen it myself. Either way, there are plenty of resources for students to pass as long as they try. There is an academic help center, that provides 1 on 1 tutoring, group tutoring, and other useful resources. Each professor has available office hours to talk, and answer many questions. The professors might not be able to explain it well in the classroom setting, but if you have time, they might be able to explain it in a 1 on 1 setting. Overall, that's the only complaint. The school has something for everyone, from art, to sports, to dungeons and dragons club. Everyone can find their spot in this university.

I really love URI! I was excited to move in last fall and wasn't nervous at all! The school sends out tons of remind cards or how to's in the mail so youre not totally lost! I like the school a lot more than I thought. The school is constantly improving by renovating or building :)

Loved URI. Great location. Beautiful campus. Between Providence and Newport. Near beaches. Great activities and school spirit. Solid academics. Went on to law school and am a federal attorney . Learned a lot at URI and will always love it.

Allison

The University of Rhode Island, while it was never my dream school, is still a beautiful campus full of nice people, well-taught classes, and many opportunities for students. While it was not my first choice, I don't regret choosing to attend over my first choice school. I have made lasting friendships and gained a great deal of knowledge, and cannot wait to continue in the next few years.

Jana

Great school, especially for those in the college of business, and the college of life sciences. I love the diversity because it makes me feel more welcomed and a part of the community. They offer so many programs, so there is no excuse to not be involved.

Jason

Cool that it's near the ocean and can easily go to the beach. The campus is kind of isolated from shopping. Even Walmart is a good drive away. Most of the students are friendly and it was easy to make friends my first year. Academics are good. Engineering is challenging, as expected, and there are people available in the living/learning communities to help.

Alyssa

URI is a great school for my major- kinesiology. There are a lot of different courses/ organizations to join to better my understanding of it. The students/ facility were welcoming when I first got there, and made my transition from a high school student to a college student awesome.

The campus is really nice and there is so many activities students can do on and off campus. Also there is a diverse community and everyone seems to get along. Also everyone on campus seems to respect other people. The safety system is also very good, on campus I feel safe to walk around at night time.

Abigail

I think that the University of Rhode Island is a great school. The students and faculty are generally friendly people. The teachers genuinely care about how you are doing in their class and they make sure you understand the material. They make themselves available to you whenever they can. The school has good food, a great gym, and a beautiful campus.

Kaelin

University of Rhode Island is a beautiful, close community. The campus is alluring and coming from a small town, it was nice to have an open, colorful area where you could walk around. Also, talking to the people on campus, it seemed like everyone knew each other and it was a very close-knit community that made it exciting to be apart of.

Mike

I believe that the University of Rhode Island is a great school and was definitely the correct decision for me. The school is wonderful and I feel extremely comfortable at living at this school. I would strongly suggest this school to any upcoming college student because of how great the school is as a whole.

Yuen Wei

I’m really glad I decided to pick this school. There is a lot of school spirit and there is always something to do. People are really friendly and inclusive and you will find a group of people that you like easily. Faculty are nice and are always willing to help. Overall, a great school and you would not regret enrolling.

Zachary

URI provides an impressive learning experience to its ambitious students including a vast amount of different internship opportunities lead to future jobs. The sports culture is a Division I school and driven by mens basketball, mens baseball and track and field. The campus is located in South Kingston, RI and as a current student that commutes to school, I feel comfort saying that I feel very safe at school each day.

Karissa

The University of Rhode Island changed my life. When I thought all was lost for myself, I was accepted to URI. They welcomed me with open arms. All the resources that are offered at this University are amazing. Overall, URI has allowed me to start my life over and go into the field of my dreams. I am coming from the Community College of Rhode Island and while I was there all I ever did was struggle. While here at URI I haven't faced any stressful situations. Everyone is always willing to help you and answer any questions you may have. My future lies at the University of Rhode Island and I can't wait to see all the amazing opportunities that await for me in the years to come.

Laurel

The University of Rhode Island is my ideal school. Everything they offer is phenomenal from educational support, to community activities. The people on campus are very approachable intellectuals who aren't afraid to share their opinions on matters and are able to do so while also acknowledging other opinions and feeling towards that subject. Overall it is a great place to be and I cant wait to spend my next 4 year there!

I personally love URI and couldn't see myself going to school anywhere else!! There are a lot of opportunities and connections to be made through this school and I find myself discovering new ones everyday. As far as the social scene goes, you can always find something to do. The school campus is a town in itself and the residential life as I experienced it caused me to make many new friends and meet so many interesting people.

Sydney

The University of Rhode Island is an amazing place to be. People are extremely friendly, the teachers are always accessible, and the campus is beautiful. There are so many extracurriculars and clubs that people can join so everyone can easily find where they belong when they are attending school here.

Katrina

In terms of academics, extracurriculars, nightlife etc., URI was great. Our football team was awful but our men's basketball team was great and even made it to the Sweet 16 in the 2017 season. However, anything tech-related was terrible. The school wifi would stop working for no reason, and the two student portals seemed like they were developed in the early 200's and not changed since then. It was also a little bit difficult to get any sort of administrative work done. Overall, I would give URI a 7.8 out of 10.

Catrina

I love URI. It gives you enough of the social "college experience" either on campus or off. Most students live on campus freshman and sophomore year and then down by the ocean junior and senior year. The academics are mostly based around STEM subject so it is a little different to be in liberal arts but you can count on the school supporting you no matter what. I am a senior and I have really loved my years here and I'll be sad to leave :(

kelty

I love my school. There is always something to learn, to do and to try. The professors are approachable and caring. I am very happy with my decision to attend URI.

I do love the University of Rhode Island, it is a beautiful campus, although very cold and snowy most of the school year. Everyone still finds ways to have fun and be together, and it's not hard to get involved and make friends. I wish the Gen Eds and the College of Business were more flexible with required classes, as I was forced to take some classes that were useless and not interesting to me and wouldn't be able to graduate on time if I took the classes that I was seriously interested in. The business classes are not fine tuned to my major and my needs nearly as much as I wish they are. Besides my classes, I have found my passions and my best friends here, I've learned so much outside the classroom as well as in it, and I will always be grateful for my crazy experiences here in Southern RI.

I really like the University of Rhode Island. I have been a Rhode Island resident for 20 of my 21 years and I know a lot about this school. It has been really great to grow up and attend a school that I took swimming lessons at when I was 4 years old. I have learned so much and been blessed with some really great Professors and fellow students that have become life long friends now in such a short period of time. I am really sad to be leaving URI this May as I will be graduating but It will be bittersweet because I got to have the experience of a lifetime.

Sophia

I am only in my Freshman year but so far I really like it here! The atmosphere is very inviting and all of my current professors are almost always available and very friendly. All of the faculty on campus make a huge effort to help you in your studies and with any problem that you may have! Overall, very pleasant!

Kimberly

this is such an amazing school. There's great programs offered. Multiple of majors to choose from. Various of facilities you can get ahold of. Many people to ask for help. The classes are great run super well. The only problem would be some of the housing and the price to attend.

Natalie

University of Rhode Island is the true definition of a college. The quad is the perfect place to hang out in between classes or after classes. There is always for students to take part in including bus trips to Providence and Newport. The class sizes are on the bigger end but many professors make an effort to connect with all students. Highly recommend!

Alyssa

I'm really not enjoying my time at URI. The class sizes are way too big to be engaging, professors are generally friendly but not always helpful, and most after school clubs and activities take place later in the day (usually after 6 pm), which makes it difficult for commuters to become more involved on campus.

Matthew

Overall, I feel that the University of Rhode Island is a solid state school that would be great choice for many people. There are many opportunities to get involved around campus and there is a solid amount of resources available to the students. Many of the professors push the students to motivate themselves and work hard on their studies.

Jacqueline

It becomes your home. As simple as that. The people, turn into friends, and then turn into family. The professors are hands down the most supportive when it comes to helping you in anything you need. Campus life is so much fun and it's a beautiful scenery, from bricked buildings to glass window modern built buildings. URI is where you belong, come and be a ram! Go Rhody Rhody rhody, rams, rams, rams!

phoebe

For me, URI was hard to get used to at first. Life at URI is very cliquey and reminds me of high school. Greek life totally takes over and makes it hard to find friends at first if you don't want to join, like myself. Also, people love to stare at you here for some reason. Maybe it's a Rhode Island thing? But Im from MA and this is not normal to me, and my roommates from NY and NJ completely agree. Walking to class is very annoying because the campus is spread out on a huge and very steep hill. When you get to move off-campus you will love it! URI is right by the beach so all the students rent beach houses that families don't use 3 out of the 4 seasons.

Kathia

My overall opinion of the University of Rhode Island is good so far. It's only my first year, going to be second next semester, but it's been great. I made plenty of friends, found some clubs that interested me and found great hangout spots with my friends and taken many adventures with them. The professors I've had were great and really cares about their students and making sure they were doing well inside as well as outside the classroom. I've been able to get out of my comfort zone and have been presented many opportunities to grow. The support system has been amazing and will definitely have long lasting friendships/relationships with my friends, professors and advisors.