University of Richmond, VA
University of Richmond

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Richmond

Blake

Richmond is making an effort to be culturally diverse, however, some of the students and falculty do not embrace color skin. The students are not perfect and the campus can be fun if you want it to be. Yet, Richmond is the perfect place for individuals who just want to concentrate on getting a good education. Richmond has many resources and at least one supportive staff member for every student.

Expect a challenge! Every course is tough and will require your effort. At times it seems impossible to get more than two A's a semester, but it's not. You will just have to push your self, by studying A LOT more than you did in High School. Class discussions are VERY COMMON in most (if not, all) of Richmond courses. Some of Richmond academic requirements are a little OD. (like Core and Calculus for the Business school!) In addition to the hard classes, Richmond does offer free tutoring in just about EVERY subject! Our library is GREAT!! The class sizes are also small, which i personally think is better because the Professor has the chance to address all your questions, compare to a Big University where your hand and voice could not be heard or seen because the room is to large and filled with 300 students.

Greek Organizations are really popular on our campus as well as sports. People party Thursday through Saturday like any other school. The dating scene isn't to big since the school is so small. The dorms are nice, compare to some of the schools I have visited. The laundry is FREE!!! I have left my dorm room open a couple times on ACCIDENT, but our campus has an honor code, and have not had any of my things taking a way. In fact, many students leave their items on the desks in the Library to go eat or whatever, and return to every object in its place. So I nevered worried about my things getting stolen by someone. (yet I still wouldn't leave my dorm room unlock on purpsoe lol). I'm not a big drinker myself so I constantly look for things to do that doesn't involve drinking. There's always parties on campus and off campus (alcohol is usually present) but you can ignore drinking it and just dance, talk, etc. The best activity to me is hanging out with my group of girl friends either watching a movie or going out to eat! Our school also has a resturant that have Kareoke nights and our library rent out movies. We also have movie showing in the Pier ( a student center building) that show movies that just left the movie theatre, but haven't made it on DVD yet. For instance, I saw Bourne Ultimatum weeks before it made it to Blackbuster!

That Richmond is inclusive, every student is perfect and warm hearted, and the campus is boring.

People don't realize what the city has to offer... outside of Shockhoe Bottom/Slip. They have no idea what the city really is like, nor what else is in Henrico/Chesterfield/Hanover/etc besides Short Pump.

Anyone other than white, upper-class, straight Christians will probably feel uncomfortable. Even so, there is a mix, so you will almost always find someone you can relate to.

Classes can be ridiculously hard, and sometimes unfairly easy. It depends on the department. There are amazing professors, and some that I think are nuts.

WILL is really big. Greek life is half and half... you won't be left out if you don't join, nor will you be shunned if you do. Community service is pretty big. People mostly party on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, and drink heavily when they do, but there's always other stuff to do... including free movies in the Pier.

Rich, snotty, more money than brains. Like to party a LOT!

Dylan

The school is too small in terms of how many undergrads there are. The school itself is big for how many students there are. People react in a good way when they hear Im from Richmond. Richmond students tend to be studius during the weekdays and usually are in the library or whatever. Sports events could be better in terms of school pride. Freshman orientation and core class is something ill always remember..richmond does a great job with everyone getting to know eachother and making new friends. Student complaints are not enough places to eat, or seeing the same people everyday.

students are usually from the north. either pennsylvania new york new jersey etc...

Nah..i mean, I like Richmond, but you'll never find a perfect college. Richmond has its pros and cons. It has really good academics and a good social life. You have to take the iniative and take advantage.

classes are small, professors know your name, really good professors, smart students, fair amount of classes to choose from. Plenty of opportunities to spend time with professors outside of class.

Most people go out on the weekends. Everything is done on campus. There are lodge parties which are fun, especially as a freshman. A lot of people just hook up at these parties. People will generally have fun at parties. Beer is free which is nice. In general, Richmond studies hard and parties hard.

Pretty preppy- people tend to change the way they dress when they get here. Fraternity Oriented- All social events are run by frats and sororities Kids usually pretty wealthy

Jenna

Richmond is a really good school academically, but it lacks passion for anything. The main social seen is the fraternities, and few people go off-campus unless they are headed to a bar on Richmond nights. The administration seems to care and attempts to respond to student concerns. Most recently, our campus has been having issues with race on campus. A lot has been done to address the issue, but it is definitely still unresolved. Few people attend spots events. It is a beautiful campus that affords a lot of opportunities.

Students that are not upper-middle class white people will feel out of place initially. If you give it time, you can discover people like you though. Students dress well for class. Girls wear sundresses to football games, and guys wear khakis and ties. The campus is predominately wealthy. Students are not politically active.

Don't come here if you want the stereotypical college environment. As a campus few people are involved in politics, campus sports, or anything really. Basically students go to class, shop for more expensive clothes, and drink on the weekends.

Yes, but there are some poorer people and a little bit of ethnic and racial diversity. If you look hard enough you can find the people with personality.

Richmond has small class sizes. In general, professors know your name and care about your success. Small classes mean a lot of personal attention, and most teachers are very available to answer questions. Richmond is a challenging school, especially the science departments. It is a lot of work, but a lot is gained from working hard. Some students are competitive, but no one is ripping pages out of books in the library to hinder others.

Partying is kept to Thursday, Friday, and Saturday usually. Those with a heavier workload will go out less, and those with less of a load might go out more during the week. Typically students are busy with a lot of work during weeknights though. The main social scene is definitely the fraternities. They throw all of the big parties, socials, and formals. The campus does provide on-campus movies and other events on the weekends for those that do not wish to drink, but they have low attendance. There isn't much transportation off campus into Richmond, but I have a car. When I go off campus I usually go out to eat and to a movie. Otherwise most students only go off campus if there is a shuttle to a club downtown on a Thursday night.

That the student body is typically wealthy, good-looking white students.

Terry

The best thing about Richmond is the campus, especially the lake because it adds a lot of scenery. The size of the school is alright, but in my opinion kind of small, most people here like that though. Another nice thing is the location. It is located in the suburbs but is right on the edge of the city so you won't have to be stuck in the middle of nowhere like most colleges in Virginia. If you are into lots of school spirit for sports teams don't bother coming here because the students care too much about themselves to worry about the sports teams, which is a shame.

The down side of Richmond is the student body; it is very close-minded for the most part. I come from a very diverse high school which makes it hard for me to adjust here. Even though everyone is nice to your face I feel like they are fake and two-faced. This year there were two incidents of racial discrimination, but our school is trying very hard to prevent that in the future. Since it is a private school, lots of the students here are very wealthy, but there are many who receive great amounts of financial aid as well. Lots of guys here wear their polo shirts tucked into their multi-colored shorts which personally I think looks pretty gay, and the girls go crazy with wearing sundresses pretty much every single day. Most students come from Northern states such as New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey, but there are plenty of people who come from all over the country. Politically the students here are surprisingly diverse there is probably an even amount of Republicans as well as Democrats. The school is trying to head in the direction of including more diveristy on campus. They want to break the stereotype of rich, close-minded white kids, so please if you don't fit that category come here and save me!

Overall great school, just needs improvement on the student body.

For the most part the stereotype is pretty accurate, but there are definetly people that are genuinely nice here too.

The academics at Richmond are fabulous. Even though I'm a lazy person who used to try and get by in high school barely gettting honor roll I definetly appreciate the way this school encourages me to work hard. This school is making me realize that it is important to get a good education not just to say I did but to actually expand my knowledge. The professors know everyone's name because classes are small and students are strongly encouraged to participate because it is usually part of their grade. The students are very intelligent here and sometimes intimidate me because I feel like I didn't prepare myself for this school well enough. I gaurantee that getting a degree from this college will find you a good job because it emphasizes the need to think critically and work hard.

There are no certain organizations/clubs/groups that are more popular than others. Students could leave their dorm room doors open if they wish to, because our school goes by a strict honor code that involves no cheating or stealing and generally everyone abides by it. Athletic events are not too popular here, we even get bribed to go to them. Going to listen to guest speakers or seeing theater shows is moderately important because some professors offer extra credit or students might just be interested in the topic. The dating scene is alright, but if you're not into preppy types then you've got no business here. If you are awake at 2am on a Tuesday you would probably either be doing your homework with everyone else or driving down to the local gas station Sheetz to get some food. There are some traditions that happen each year here. At the beginning of the year all the freshman girls put on white dresses and write themselves a letter to read at the end of their senior year about their experience from the first few weeks of school, and the guys do something similar as well. A couple of weeks before finals there is an event called Pig Roast which is apprantly a huge deal (still don't really get why but whatever). There is a tradition of Ring Dance for junior girls, and some other traditions which I can't remember the rest. You can find people partying here every single day. I don't know how they do it but they manage. During the weekends the parties are either at the university apartments where the seniors and juniors live, or at the fraternity lodges on campus. Fraternities and sororities are not that huge of a deal here, if you are not in one you can still end up being best friends with people who are in one since they do not live separately. If you are not into drinking there are other activities which you could do such as movie nights in the commons or go somewhere in town. Off campus there are plenty of things to do museums, parks, malls; pretty much anything.

Most of the students that go here are extremely rich, high maintance, and stuck up.

Anne

I don't know what I'd change about UR...I think it's just the right size. When I tell people I go here they usually say, "Oh, so you're really smart," or "Oh so you're rich." I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm room or in my friends' dorm rooms, OR in Modlin (the music center) or in apartments. Richmond is not a college town b/c it's such a big city. UR is located on the West End (aka the "richmond bubble"....nice, suburban setting but close to the city). I haven't really met UR's administration, but I really like our new president (Ayers). Biggest recent controversy on campus was the race relations issue.....sort of got blown out of proportion, but a good issue to expose. I'll always remember my freshman orientation b/c I met great friends and fell in love with the school. The most frequent student complaints are that UR costs too much and charges us for anything and everything they can.

Student body is not that diverse, but they try to be.

Every stereotype has a hint of truth hidden in it, but most people here are really nice and very approachable.

Professors definitely know your name; my favorite classes are my Spanish classes; least favorite classes are ones where I don't like the professor. The professor either makes or breaks the class. Students study a lot; class participation is very common; yes UR students have intellectual conversations outside of class; students are moderately competitive, but not too much. My major is Spanish--I've loved every teacher I've had in that department except for one. I meet with professors outside of class if I have questions about anything. Richmond's academic requirements are hard but fair...you definitely leave here with a good education.

Social life is FUNNNNN FUN FUN here. There's always something to do for both those who like alcohol and those who do not. Weekends are fun. Frats and sororities aren't too too important to me, but I guess they're fun for some. There's great shopping off campus too!

That we're all rich, snobby, high strung, and spoiled.

Charles

Richmond is small. Almost too small but I wouldn't trade a larger student body if it meant losing the small class sizes. The faculty is awesome. Great people all around. So is the Administration. The big problems with UR are definitely the overwhelming peppiness and some overt acts of disgusting racism. Weak. That aside, UR is great if you take the initiative to do what you want with the resources they offer. Kinda sucks as a school if you don't do that. You have to learn to love it.

Some racism does occur and it is offensive as hell. Although the student body has responded very much against such acts which is encouraging. As I've said there are tons of preppies. However, there is still a great community of non-preppy cool kids. Even some preppies are cool and open to different types of kids but they seem to be few and far between.

Watch out for the drug game. It'll get you.

For most of the students yes. There are some cool cats there. Just have to try to find them.

Small classes, hard classes from time to time. Feel that you really get your bang for your buck. Love the teachers and they all know your name.

Either you're Greek or you're on a sports team. Everyone does some sort of extracurricular. Fun that way. I'm a heavy drinker so I party from Thursday through Saturday and then again on Tuesday. Pig Roast is like St. Patty's Day part 2. Good event although the Admin is trying to shut it down or make it mad weak.

Preppies abound at UR. Collared shirts, not always popped though, and polo with those stupid little Nantucket red pants. Gay.

Erin

It's a small school, but perfect size for me. I spend most of my time on campus, as do most students. Friendly atmoshpere. Kids are really into their schoolwork but also really into having fun.

Tough, but professors willing to help.

A lot of greek life activites. Mostly stay on campus. Drinnking

Katy

The best thing about Richmond is the size. There are less than 3,000 students and that makes for great class sizes. You get to know each of your professors and they know you. Not only do they make time for you, but you can work individually with them outside of the classroom, because they are not juggling hundreds of students. Although Richmond may seem small at times, there are still tons of people who I haven't met! Another great aspect about Richmond is its location. It's nested back in the west-end of Richmond, in a very nice, small community. Essentially, the University sits behind neighborhoods. Because of its location, there are many shopping areas, parks, and restaurants close by. Many students love to drive into Cary Town, a modern area with street shops and dining. Most students complain that Richmond students do not have much school spirit. Most sporting events consist of students tailgating with drinks and food, and then leaving at half-time. Students do not usually dress in school colors for football games. Instead, women wear sundresses and skirts, while men dress in suits and ties. I will always remember orientation at Richmond. It is a unique experience. Richmond first-years arrive on Wednesday, and all of the upper-classmen arrive on Saturday. That allows four days for first-years to get adjusted on the campus before everyone else arrives. Each first-year is placed in an orientation group with both a male and female orientation advisers. During the four days of orientation, first-years attend dances, listen to speakers, participate in engaging activities, play intramurals, and attend a unique series called PlayFair. Orientation at Richmond is certainly memorable.

Most Richmond students tend to be from the northeast, but the dynamics are slightly changing. Being from the south, I felt somewhat out-numbered, but it's a great experience to get to know people who are different from you. Richmond also has a large percentage of international students. In 2007, Richmond was voted "hottest school for international studies," since Richmond sends so many students abroad and allows so many to study here. Unfortunately, the student body is predominately white. I know that the school is working on increasing the diversity on campus, and that any form of racism is not tolerated. Because of the large tuition payment, it seems like everyone at Richmond has to be rich. While some are, without question, many students are only attending because they are receiving so much money in financial aid. I don't feel like students talk about which category they fall into, and it's never an issue.

Richmond is a wonderful school. I could not have picked a better place!

Some, but regarding the stereotypes there are people who match and people who don't.

Due to the small class sizes at Richmond, all of your professors know your name. If you make an effort to get to know them, usually they know what extracurricular interests you have as well. Because of this, many professors ask students to help them with research projects, which they know the student is interested in. Every first-year student at UR takes and introductory writing and reading course called CORE. It's supposed to give each student the same foundation as they enter into the University. CORE is taught by professors from all departments and in a variety of ways. Class participation is pretty common. Since class sizes are small, you have a lot of opportunities to discuss reading and class materials in a close group setting. Even outside of the classroom, UR brings many distinguished speakers and scholars to campus, and students can attend for free. Part of my reason for choosing Richmond related to the academics. The curriculum at UR is challenging, but manageable. Because the University cross-lists many classes, most students have more than one major or minor. Watching seniors graduate, I know that a UR degree is a great foundation for obtaining good jobs.

Richmond offers just about any club or organization possible. However, if we don't have it, you can create it. I have had several friends start clubs or organizations on campus, and it seems virtually pain-free. Beyond clubs, Richmond offers six sororities and six fraternities to join. Greek rush is in the Spring Semester of your freshman or sophomore year, so that you have a chance to get settled in socially and academically before you rush. More than half of all girls participate in rush, while about 1/3 of men do. I met my closest friends in my freshman year dorm. We still live together and remain very close. However, I've met a lot of other great friends in my sorority or through campus activities. The dating scene at Richmond seems pretty casual. Most people tend to date around versus having one serious relationship. It's extremely easy to meet people because Richmond has a great social scene with parties at the campus apartments or fraternity lodges. Of course, if students choose not to drink, there are always movies showing on campus or concerts in the drama theatre.

Rich, white, small student body, party school, hard teachers, pretty campus

Kris

I love the coordinate college system and our strong honor code. Campus is a beautiful and happy place for most people, even when things get stressful or you are sad. There is a strong sense of community and plenty of opportunity to become involved with whatever interests you! School spirit could be improved and people could be better Spider athletic supporters, but, other than that, everything is fantastic! I will always remember the Westhampton College traditions. Proclamation night for first year and senior women, Ring Dance for juniors and Senior Celebration for seniors. Truly unbelievable and unique. Another unique aspect of the University is the Jepson School of Leadership Studies - it is definitely worth checking out. Being a part of the Jepson community enhanced my personal and academic experience so much. Frequently, students complain about the available food options on campus, but it has improved tremendously since my first year.

I think the campus could always strive to be more diverse in terms of racal, religious and socio-economic categories. One of our new president's top initiative is diversity, so I think that this will improve in the years to come. Many people say that the students are very homogenous, but I think that is not really true.

Yes, but no. Many people are preppy conformists, but there is a good mix of those who dress uniquely, those who don't really stand out and dress "normally" and those who have a good sense of style. People are intelligent and hard-working, definitely. Everyone I work with on Student Government and class projects is reliable and independently motivated.

Professors quickly and easily learn students' names because the class size is very small and intimate. Faculty and staff are very friendly and really make the effort to get to know you. Professors are very available to meet outside of class and frequently invite you over to their houses for parties/dinners, etc. Class participation is a big part of many classes, but it depends. I don't think students are very competitive with other students necessarily, but I do think that many have very high standards for their own work. The education at Richmond is not career-focused, especially my major in Leadership Studies. The focus is on broadening your mind and learning about the world from many different perspectives.

There is always an event on campus, all the time. There are many different performances and lots of student run activities. Many activities and philanthropy events are put on by Greek Life groups and are available for the entire school. People party often. Greek Life is great - not too intense, but very enriching. You can definitely still have a lot of fun and enjoy Greek Life without being in a sorority or fraternity. Richmond has a ton of great restaurants and bars. Single-sex housing has its pros and cons - as far as social life, it is a negative thing because girl/guy interaction is limited to class and parties (usually of the frat lodge variety). The library is probably the most popular hang out spot on campus. It is actually true.

That they are preppy, wealthy and smart.

University of Richmond administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.