University of Richmond, VA
University of Richmond

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Richmond

Cassie

I am a graduate student so the best thing at Richmond for me is the opportunity I have to teach the undergraduates. I also really enjoy having great laboratory resources available at all times. Considering I am not part of the regular population, I really do not spend much time just hang around campus. I am usually in the lab or in my office.

The one great thing about Richmond is that the class sizes are small, thus there is a lot of teacher student contact. With such small class you get not only the opportunity to get to know your fellow class mates but you get to know your professors as well.

They are all very preppy. They are all spoiled.

Kate

The students at the University of Richmond are what I would consider the "well-rounded" kids. Academics are a top priority, but we are also deeply involved in numerous extracurricular activities: Greek life, volunteering, Student governments, Class councils, Sports and athletics, etc. Most students here are very content. We are always impressed with the renovations and new building projects that are being done - the new dorm, Lakeview, is absolutely amazing. It actually looks like a hotel, not a dorm. The new gym is also fabulous, and meets the students' needs of being athletically involved and fit. Richmond is just the perfect size: on your way to class, you'll recognize and say hi to a fair amount of people walking by, but at the same time, there are always lots of people to meet. At Richmond, no one is just a number. We all have a say and the administration attentively listens to student concerns. For example, students wanted to be able to write with chalk around campus, and after some controversy, the administration allowed it. My favorite part about Richmond is its location. We are not located in downtown Richmond, so we are not a city school at all. But at the same time, we are not in the middle of no where in some cornfield. The city and all of its resources are a mere 10 minute drive, and there is always something going on around the Richmond area.

The best word to use to describe Richmond students is involved. We all take part in numerous activites and extracurriculars and love to have lots to do. There are at least 250 student organizations on campus, and the average student is involved in at least 3 of these at any one time. Students at Richmond are generally preppy and dress nicely to class. A fair amount of us are from the Northeast and come from predominately middle to upper-middle class familes. We are more conservative than the average college campus, but very moderate on the political spectrum.

Students at the University of Richmond come from all over ther nation and all over the world. My apartment next year will have people from Kansas, Delaware, Illinois, West Virginia, and California. In addition 8% of the student population is comprised of International students, who really add a whole different dimension to our education. Although students here tend to dress preppy, that does not mean we all have the money to afford J.Crew. We come from unique backgrounds from all over the nation and the world and bring to the table many different cultures and new insights.

Academics at Richmond are top priority. Students come here knowing that they will need to work very hard to succeed. We are very fortunate to have such a small student to faculty ratio of 1:9. My largest class has only been comprised of 20 students. I even had a lab section that only had 6 students. The only drawback to this is that, well, you have to go to class. Don't be surprised to receive an e-mail from a professor asking if anything is wrong if you missed class that day. Trust me, they notice if you aren't there. Professors truly want to help us learn and will do anything to help us out. The first day of classes, professors already know our names and are interested in our lives and activities. Generally, teachers are understanding.

Greek life is an important aspect of campus life. But our greek system here is very different than at most other schools. You do not need to be in a fraternity or sorority to enjoy many of the things that Greek societies offer. You also can be an independent and still have many, many friends. Greek life is just another opportunity to get involved and is an outlet for students who are interested in it. There are 3 reasons why I think our Greek system is great: 1. We have second semester rush, which means that when you come in as a freshman, you have an entire semester to figure out if Greek life is for you. You can also rush as a sophomore. 2. We have no Greek housing on campus, which really allows all students to be integrated all over campus. It is not as though the people in fraternities are segregated from everyone else. 3. We do have what are known as the Fraternity lodges. Each fraternity has its own lodge, which serves as a meeting room for the brothers and can also be a party room on the weekends. Lodge parties are where many of the weekend social activity takes place. At these parties, everyone at Richmond can attend if they would like to. It is not as though only certain people are invited to go to them; anyone can get in with their spidercard. Social life revolves around being on campus, which reflects the fact that 92% of students live on campus all four years.

We are a bunch of affluent, white, J.Crew-wearing Northeasterners who want to get a good education while attending a school that looks more like a country club than a college. All of the girls wear pearls and dresses to class. You better not even think of wearing sweatpants outside of your dorm room.

Rory

The University of Richmond is a great school. It's pretty tiny (about 3,000 kids), but for me that's just right. When you walk around campus, you're greeted by happy familiar faces. And absolutely everyone holds the door for you. Most people know of Richmond for it's absolutely beautiful campus. It is gorgeous year-round. It's a quick drive to the city for clubs, concerts, food, or whatever you wish to do. One of the biggest controversies that we've had is whether or not you're allowed to draw with chalk on the bricks in the center of campus (the administration changed its policies and now you are).

The student body is not the most diverse I've ever seen, but also not the least. The majority of people that you will see when walking around campus are preppy, white, upper-middle class kids. This is not to say that there is no diversity what-so-ever...there is. The racial percentages are not much worse than any of the other colleges that I looked at as a high school senior. There is definitely an LGBT community on campus. One of the things that took me a little getting used to was what people wear to class. It would be completely normal to wear a sundress, high heels, and pearls to class. A t-shirt and jeans...not as much. Most of the boys here wear button down shirts and nice pants or shorts--khakis, vineyard vines, etc. However, the more I got used to campus, the more I started wearing jeans and t-shirts to class. It's not like you'll be judged or ridiculed for not wearing a sundress, everyone just likes to look their best for class. It's actually kind of nice.

Most of the campus definitely dresses preppy. I mean, go to one of the football games and you're surrounded by sundresses, khaki shorts, and button down shirts. However, I feel like any type of person with an open mind can come here and feel comfortable. You don't need to know the difference between Vineyard Vines and J.Crew to have an amazing Richmond experience (though you'll learn soon enough). And as far as the "rich kids" stereotype: false. Because of the high tuition and preppy clothes, I guess a lot of people get the vibe that Richmond is swarming with stuck-up rich kids. Nope. The majority of my friends have a comfortable financial situation at home, but none of them fly home on a private jet. Though maybe a little higher, I doubt that the average financial status of Richmond kids is extraordinarily different than any other liberal arts university in America.

University of Richmond is not exactly a school for complete slackers. Academics here can be challenging. The size of Richmond is great though, because since it's so small, the class sizes are tiny as well. Most of my classes are about 15 people. Every single one of my teachers knows my name...and probably my favorite color. Nearly all teachers make themselves available for outside help. The teachers do expect you to do your reading assignments to get the best possible grade. If you're willing to put in a little work, Richmond will have great academic experiences to provide for you.

The greek organizations at Richmond are great--prominent, but not over-whelming. I am in a sorority, but my three best friends are not. It's is totally 100% your choice. Most of the parties that exist on campus are held by fraternities, but you definitely don't need to be a member of a greek organization to go...it's a small school, so everyone's invited! Sororities are great. Very active and involved and just an awesome thing to be a part of. The majority of people that I know would not be scared to leave their doors unlocked. Everyone feels pretty safe at the University of Richmond. Huge party days are: Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Yes, Thursday. However, pretty much any night of the week, you can find something going on. As a southern school, we have a lot of traditions. The girls have an event called "Proclamation Night" where we all dress in white, light candles, sign the honor code, and write letters to ourselves as seniors. The guys have "Investiture" which I guess is like the male version of Proclamation Night. They get all dressed up and sign the honor code. I love the southern traditions here.

I think the first stereotype that comes to mind when most people think of Richmond is "preppy". Also, I've heard the University of Richmond referred to as the "University of Rich-kids".

Kathleen

great school! perfect size and the faculty is amazing and care so much and are so willing to spend extra time with you

preppy and most come from fortunate backgrounds, but so easy to get along with and find your crowd

come to Richmond!! it's the most fun you can have while still working your ass off, getting an amazing education, and graduating with a degree that will take you anywhere you want

many students do come from very fortunate backgrounds, but not everyone (I don't!), and people are really much nicer than they might appear upon first glance... we do like to party as well, but we definitely live by the philosophy "work hard, play harder"

i've never had a class bigger than 25 people, and all your professors will know your name and who you are, it is a VERY competitive and difficult academics but worth it for the amazing degree and you'll learn so much

social life is amazing, obviously... greek life is huge but not necessary to join

preppy, too right for their own good, snobs, hardcore partiers

The University of Richmond is a small liberal arts school near a relatively large city. As a small school, Richmond enjoys the relationships that can only come with personal interaction. The school has developed a system of activities and spaces for parties that includes the University Apartments and the Fraternity Lodges; however, the campus is tame compared to most secular schools. Classes are usually available for registering online and I have never had trouble getting into a class; however many of my friends have stated that popular classes like Arabic, Microeconomics and Organic Chemistry can be difficult. The city of Richmond is full of hole-in-the-wall restaurants and cafes, but many students do not take advantage of this resource.

On the whole, I have come to admire my peers. As a freshman, my friends have told me they speak five languages, had full rides to Harvard, lived in Italy for a year and currently research the AIDS virus. Most of the students are from Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey so there are lots of regional identities coming together in this school. There is certainly a pressure to achieve high scores in order to make lots of money when you graduate. That pressure comes from parents, peers, and the general atmosphere.

Most of these stereotypes recall a past that The University of Richmond is constantly working to correct. Like all colleges, Richmond was once an all white school and, like most private schools, still is predominately white. Though Richmond gives HUGE scholarships to allow for a diverse student body in the economic sense, many people associate white skin with privilege and that is simply not fair. There are certainly many wealthy people that attend the University of Richmond, but they are the visible minority. True to the stereotype, Richmond is full of very driven students that work hard to succeed, but we are also driven in many directions in addition to academics.

Each of my professors recognizes my face when I see them around campus and the majority of them know my name. I have had many conversations over dinner relating to the topics in some of my classes ranging from race representation to international health and trade. There is certainly a vocal minority in each class, but the small size means that if you are quiet the teacher will notice. There is no where to hide so if you don't intend to do the work then Richmond might not be the right place. I have met with many of my professors and had in depth conversations about research, classwork, and scheduling conflicts. I have never been penalized for missing class with an emergency, but class attendance is mandatory in most classes on account of the small class size. I have had the privilege of taking a course of twelve students taught by the president of the university, Dr. Ed Ayers, and he still knows my name. I took a trip to Peru in conjunction to my Global Health and Human Rights course that was paid for by the university (all except $150). Richmond is dedicated to connecting an education to real life experience, but except in the case of business classes, the education is not geared toward a profession.

Contrasted to nearby Virginia Commonwealth University, we are often seen as wealthy, stuck-up, privileged, coke addicts who are not very open minded or progressive. Richmond is often represented by attractive white people and that is certainly a generalization as well. In contrast to state schools, students from Richmond are lots of times seen as nerdy and driven ... lacking a sense of humor.

Lee

I feel that as a student-athlete, this school is really small and the attendance at sporting events is limited. Recently however, the attendance at football games has increased as they are now NCAA semi-finalists. Richmond is a very quiet, conservative, studious campus. If you are interested in a rigorous academic program with a tight nit of friends, this is your place. If you are looking for diversity, rowdiness, and lots of activities, I may look elsewhere.

The non-scholars are basically all from the same backgrounds, upper-middle class, white, and preppy. We have a good amount of international students and they organize some really fun activities such as socials, formals, clubs, etc. I would definitely suggest getting involved with the international students as they lively up the place a bit. In the dining hall, athletes sit in one section, frat/sorority kids in the other, non-frats on the other and then some regulars mingle. A lot of cliques and not much interaction between cliques. Most students are from the north, Jersey, PA, New York, etc.

Definitely a rigorous program especially being apart of the Business School. When looking for classes to choose for the semester, research the professor before selecting which class to take. Professor's vary significantly in their difficulty or ease of teaching. Grades can be skewed for different professors teaching the same course. Student to professor interaction is great! They are always willing to meet and conference with you. Often times you will be invited to their house for dinner or a meet and greet. Student's are very competitive especially come Junior year with the discussion of internships. The talk of summer for b-school students will be "who are you working for and where", rather than what are your summer plans. As a liberal arts college, not many choices in "fun" classes. A lot of your classes are chosen for you when you decide on a major. Education at Richmond is defnitely geared to getting you a job.

There are a good amount of different clubs and organizations on campus and its really fun to be apart of differnent ones to interact with different people. I suggest: international club, international business student's association, greek life, etc. Expect to do a lot of work during the week. If you are a procrastinator, expect a lot of all-nighters. If you want to be partying every night, join a sorority/fraternity. Richmond is a very safe campus, students are trusting and trustworthy. During nice days, downtown at the river is the place to be. They have concerts downtown and live music with drinks and just a lot of fun social events. Carrytown, shockhoe bottom, the fan, all fun places.

Some stereotypes include: non-scholars are very homogenous from similar backgrounds, social classes, orientation, etc. There seems to be discretion over the amount (or lack of) diversity. We are viewed as preppy, middle-upper class wealthy students, a lot of greek involvement.

Tim

There is not a lot of school Pride but everyone is very proud of the difficulty of our academics even though it stresses us out at times. I wish there were more southern kids here. On the weekends your time is spend at the lodges or in the apartments for the most part. The administration has been rather liberal in the past but the new president is from Tennessee and he's a great guy so we're excited about the direction he's going to take this university.

At Richmond you are either in greek life or an athlete for the most part. There aren't a lot of independents. It is a predominantly white school and most of the students are from the North. There is some interaction between different types of students but not all that much. It is a school that favors the left side of the political spectrum but its just a slight majority, most are moderate. Most students just wear polo's everywhere and the girls where pretty much anything.

It's a lot of work, but it'll be worth it.

There are a lot of northern kids but everyone is pretty nice.

I am a business major and I love it. Richmond is very hard school academically and is just now starting to get the respect we deserve. Our business school is top 20 and is continuing to climb. I have encountered very few professors I don't like but there are a few bad apples that you have to be careful of. How much you study depends on the professor you have and the time of year. The last couple weeks of the semester you are going to study a lot and you're going to be stressed out, so, just accept it and deal with it. Richmond is a school that you sometimes don't like how hard the academics are while you are here but you are very proud of your accomplishment once you're done. It's all worth it when you're done.

Fraternities and sororities run this school. Being an athlete I am unable to join a Frat but you are able to make friends with people within the Frats and Sororities and go to all their events. The athletic events aren't very popular because our basketball team isn't very good.

Richmond is a school where everyone works hard during the week and then parties hard on the weekend. There are plenty of opportunities to do just about anything. The campus is pretty isolated from any sort of off-campus stuff, you need a car to do anything that is off-campus. The administration does a good job of building stuff and providing fun programs, but if you want to join a fraternity just know that they make things harder on fraternities every year. THere has been a lot of controversy over racism, but the actual problems with racism on campus are very small, at least everyone I know is very open minded.

Generally a very fun bunch. Sure, there are plenty of preps, but there are also lots of other people, there's a crowd on campus for anybody.

Not really, most people are really donw to earth and there is room for anyone with any personality on this campus. People generally are pretty smart, but not in a superior way.

Very tough and challenging unless you are smart about professor selection. Also, choose classes that you know you are strogn in, and don't try to do stuff you were bad at before, you'll only be worse at it here.

Lots of stuff to do, good sports teams generally, football is really good. Lots of parties, lots of activites provided by the administrations. Dorms and apartments are where most college life goes on, but all the facilities are great, especially new gym. Fraternities really carry the load of social life on campus as noone else throws parties, and they also get tons of crap from the administration, making their job harder and harder, but we find a way.

Preppy Rich Snoody Smart Connected

Emmerson

non white students probably feel out of place. other than that its pretty open.

non white students probably feel out of place. other than that its pretty open.

generally. most students are white and come from upper middle class backgrounds. seeing students driving beamers are not uncommon. but not everybody is loaded and most people are down to earth

strenuous. seems to be harder than most schools. very rare to find a class that is an "easy a". classes are small, i've never had a class bigger than 20something people and i've been here three years. last couple weeks of semester are always hell work hard play hard

football games are well attended and kind of a big deal. attendance for every other sport is a joke. if you're not big into boozing you'd probably want to stay away. not uncommon for people to drink more than three nights a week.

Katie

The best thing about Richmond is the gorgeous campus. It is really very beautiful here. If I could change one thing it would be the separate living spaces for men and women. It divides the sexes permanently and only allows us to meet in an academic setting or worse, when we are too drunk to act honorably or sensibly. The school is a little too small by the end of the four years, but I absolutely loved the sized through my Junior year. I have a feeling it feels the same for people at other schools. Richmond City is amazing! It is absolutely necessary to have a car here, though, if you want to go anywhere. It is also much more fun when you are 21 because the bars are pretty strict on IDs. There are a lot of nooks that you wouldn't otherwise find. There is not a lot of school pride. I feel like the alum network is so strong because we are such a small campus, but beyond that football tailgates and any other sporting event is seriously lacking. Hardly anyone stays at games beyond halftime and no one sports our colors. It is rare to find a true fan that tracks our sports throughout the year. Richmond has an amazing study abroad program, which was one of my favorite things I've done here. I highly recommend doing it.

My experience with different social groups has been positive. Because we have such a strong study abroad program, our school admits a lot of international students which exposes us to many different nationalities, religions, etc. Within the classroom it is great because we are able to get a much more direct account of global events - globalization is made that much more real for us. Outside of the classroom, though, it is rare to see the international group. The different social groups on campus sort of stick together. If you are involved in Greek life, it is a very plain vanilla group (which is about 50% of the student body). The other half of campus does get exposed to different social groups. My experience has always been that LGBT groups are very open and accepted, but I have heard contrary reports from peers and friends. The races on campus are very divided, not segregated, but we do not go out of our way to mix. Our campus is also very divided based upon schools that we are in. For example, the business school is considered the elite bunch who rarely interact with the Liberal Arts school. This may correlate with Greeks vs. Independents. Most Richmond students are from New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut. There are Pennsylvania and Delaware students, but more rare is someone not from the northeast. Most students wear jeans and collared shirts, Greek shirts, etc. We dress for class. Rarely (except in the instance of the athletes) do we show up in sweat pants or pajamas. The students at University of Richmond come from middle-class or upper-middle-class. If they aren't, they act like they do. I'd say that 70-80% of our campus is not politically aware. Those that are, are the very left-wing and the very right-wing parties. Everyone else stays quiet. Everyone in the business school is very open and frank about the fact that we'll be banking millions one day.

Richmond classes are generally capped at 25. It is both good and bad. It is good because the teachers are really able to get to know you - if you have a bad test grade or are doing poorly in class they can pull you aside and talk about how to improve the grade - be it independent projects or additional studying. You also get to know everyone in your class, which is helpful if you need help or a copy of the notes. The downside of having only 24 other classmates is that when you miss class the teacher definitely notices. There is a strict attendance policy in the business school of only 3 absences a semester. Some professors come up with their own attendance policy that reduces your grade by 5% every time you miss a class. As a senior, we are giving ample opportunities to spend time with our professors outside of class. I feel like this is the first year I have really done this. It's really nice to be able to engage outside of the formal academic stetting. Richmond's academic requirements are frustrating at times. There are so many introductory courses we have to take and core courses within the business school that you sort of decide your concentration based on a whim. The first advanced course I took in my concentration wasn't until the fall of my senior year. The system also doesn't allow you to take things for fun. I was interested in so many other classes that were not related to my major or minor, but I had no time to take them because I would not be able to graduate with on time. This is to be expected from a Liberal Arts College, though. Richmond's education is geared to getting a job. From the moment we step on campus we are made aware of the CDC ((Career Development Center) and are asked to make good use of it. I don't see this as a negative, but it does influence academic paths.

Greek life is about 50% of the student body, but we do not have houses on campus. There is a lot of Greek pride, both for individual fraternities and sororities, but also collectively. We have six sororities and six fraternities now, as well as two historically black sororities. There are a lot of semi-formal socials, socials with themes that are invite only. But on a general Friday night, the fraternities have lodges on campus - which essentially is like a large club house. They are open to everyone. There are usually parties off campus at fraternity houses, as well. We do not leave our doors open in dorms. Our athletic events are very poorly attended. Our football games are tailgated - we dress up in sun dresses and nice khakis and collared shirts for the men, but when the game starts only half of those people go in and the other half that do go in rarely stay past half time. The dating scene is very slim! The boys really don't "date" until junior/senior year, if they choose to date at all. Most of my friends went all four years without a boyfriend on campus. Most of my closest friends and I met through living situations (being on the same hall in dorms) or through fraternity/sorority events. If I am awake at 2AM on Tuesday it is because I decided to go out to a bar or a party on campus. I would only be up that late due to academics if it's during Midterms or Finals, otherwise it is definitely a social reason. Every year we have Pig Roast (or Festivus -- it's new name). It occurs in late March. The fraternities open up at 11AM so we are usually up drinking by 9AM. The girls wear sundresses and the boys are in cute preppy clothes. We have it catered by a local BBQ place. All of the lodges open up with live music, good food, and lots of beer. We used to meet the apartments on campus and everyone would be in the parking lots hanging out but the police and administration got rid of that aspect this year for liability reasons. The lodges close around 4PM, people pass out for a nap and meet up downtown, again if they can rally. People party 3 times a week on average. It is usually Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night - but depending on class schedules and the semesters it can vary. There are the occasional Tuesday night Pong tournaments or whatever but they are definitely smaller parties contained to 30 people or less. Fraternities and sororities do not have to be important at all. Only half of our campus is involved. I am involved in a sorority, though, so I don't really know what the other half does. Last weekend went like this: Thursday night I went out to a bar with some friends. Friday afternoon we had a picnic at The River (a river with big rocks on it that you can tan on) and drank. That night we went out to dinner and drank a little more but went to bed around midnight. Saturday I studied a little, Saturday afternoon my friends threw me a surprise birthday party around 3:30. We drank, grilled food, hung out until late and went to a bar. Sunday we had brunch and watched Friends in bed all afternoon.

They are very preppy, Type-A, and snobby.

University of Richmond administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.