University of Richmond, VA
University of Richmond

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Richmond

Colleen

I think this school is perfect. As a freshman I began to think it was too small but now I see people everywhere that I dont know and I see friendly faces everywhere too. I think a lot of the people are great and a lot of them are ridiculous and dont have perspective on the world. But then again- more than 50% of the students have unbelievable stories to tell from their experiences abroad. I dont know, i love it. My brother goes to school at Miami of Ohio. They have access to a small town with a couple of bars. Right next door to our quaint campus we have an unbelievably appealing, adorable, and fun young city with everything you could ever want. We get great concerts, and we are close to everything. Ive been to DC, and Charlottesville, and JMU, for any adventure you want. Theres the river and the mountains and camping- you can do anything and you are never trapped- even though its a small school.

sorry, i dont have much time- none of my grammar in this survey is even close to being correct.

i dont think so- i dont fit the bill and most of my friends dont. You can find people who suck, but you can also find some great people. People suck all over the place and just because the majority of the students dress well doesn't mean that daddy purchased it.

I love academics- small intimate classes. All my professors know my name and care about how I perform. They are kind, and compassionate and awesome teachers! The problem is the competition at this small bubble tends to be quite overwhelming. Expect ivy league stress and pressure, without the ivy league rankings and resume. But awesome classes offered and great learning environment

Social life- go to the bars the apartments off campus parties fraternity lodges - you dont have to be in a fraternity or sorority to have fun- but it sure does make it a lot more fun if you are.

preppy, polos, rich snobs, pearls, money, dress well

I love the small size of Richmond because I can run into people that I know on my way to classes. I feel I am a part of the community when I see people I know and when people say hi to me. Students can get anything they need on campus, but when we do leave campus, we like going into Carrytown to get a bite to eat or to shop. Also, the Short Pump shopping center has an outdoor mall, tons of restaurants, and other stores.

I was so nervous to come to college, but I knew I had made the right college decision from the moment I stepped out of the car at orientation. All of the students were so friendly and the upperclassmen were so willing to help the freshmen find their way. The campus is beautiful, the education is amazing, and the people are genuine. I love it here, and I can't imagine myself at any other school.

While there are some people do fit these stereotypes, the majority of people wear jeans and a t-shirt to class. Everyone is very socially accepting, and there are many different styles of dress. Most people are very friendly, and the one thing that everyone has in common is that everyone is smart.

I love Richmond's small class sizes. Professors know my name and remember my name after I have finished a semester of class with him or her. Professors are extremely wiling to meet with students outside of class to help them with assignments or simply to talk about the lectures and materials. One thing that is a nice change from high school is that people do not judge you or call you a nerd for going to the library. Especially as finals get closer, the majority of the student body can be found in the library. Everyone spends a lot of times studying, and everyone can bond over their crazy amount of work during exam time.

A lot of students are involved in Greek Life, but you don't feel left out if you are not a part of a fraternity or sorority. I am an independent, and my friends are from a variety of sororities and fraternities. It's nice that we rush second semester of our freshman year because you already have a lot of friends, and you do not make your friends based on their Greek label. During the weekends we usually hang out in the dorms before going to an on-campus apartment or a lodge. Seniors can choose to live in on-campus apartments with a kitchen and living room, and they often register parties, which allows them to host students in their home with alcohol. Each fraternity has its own lodge. Lodges are a one-room house with a bar. The lodge parties are like high school dances with beer served to students aged 21 or older. During the week, we do a lot of school work. If we happen to have a light night or finish all of our work early, we rent a movie from the library or take a friend's car to Sheetz or Wawa.

The stereotypical Richmond girl wears sundresses to class with pearls next to her boyfriend in khaki shorts and a polo shirt.

John

It's a good place to be. The size is about right, classes are generally pretty good, it's not terribly hard to make friends, and there's a fair-sized city nearby to go out and have escapades in. "Diversity" is an omni-present buzz-word though, which gets really annoying after a while. When 95% of the campus really doesn't care all that much about race and isn't racist, it can get pretty tiring.

Apathy reigns. I'm quite happy we don't really care much about sports here- obsessive sports enthusiasm wrecked my high school. The general level of intelligence is quite high, which was a very pleasant change from high school, and overall people are pretty decent. Just don't be an ass and you'll be ok.

Don't burn bridges you might need to cross later on. It pays to get along well with everyone you have to see day in and day out, so if you don't like someone, for goodness sake just don't talk to them. Social gossip is rampant and it just throws more people's reputations into the meat grinder.

Not completely, thankfully. There are a lot of the stereotypical spoiled rich brats, but thankfully at least half of the richer student body isn't at all like that. Popped collars are also mercifully rare. Yes, about 1/3 of us are from New Jersey- mostly North Jersey, I note with sadness, being from South Jersey myself. North and South Jersey are really two separate states, whatever they try to tell you.

I've been annoyed at the lack of history classes, but that's a personal peeve since they're offering numerically a lot, just very few in anything before 1700. There are good classes and bad classes, just like any other school. Use ratemyprofessor.com in conjunction with the class lists to try to maximize your good classes.

I'm told we're pretty tame when it comes to parties and drinking, but I've got no way to prove it. Lots of people (4/5 of 'em) drink, but the number of actual drunks doesn't seem too high. Extracurricular stuff is pretty good and you can always start your own group if you're willing to go through endless red tape to get it after a year or so.

That the majority are too rich for their own good and way too preppy. Popped collars are an epidemic. Everyone is from New Jersey.

Everything at Richmond seems "just about right," from the size of the campus to the size of the city of Richmond to the variety of academics offered. The campus is small and can sometimes feel a little cliquey and high school-esque, but this really just enhances the sense of community on campus. Greek life is strong but not necessary for a happy social life. Non-Greeks and Greeks have plenty of interaction and parties are not exclusive. Recently the school has been struggling with racial and prejudice based issues. There were three major occurrences on campus throughout this school year but appropriate action has been taken and students have been expressing their concerns. A lot of people have gripes about the administration, and I admit sometimes they seem more concerned about moving up in the rankings rather than making students happy. School spirit could use a huge boost, but I think that has to do with the lack of a stadium on campus and the lack of a strong rival.

Students often criticize Richmond for being too homogenous, but I must say those who don't "fit the mold" do a great job of making their presence known and respected. The school has been getting through some racial issues and although I can't say segregation isn't present, I think that's something just about every school suffers from. The administration and student body has made a strong commitment to combat any form of racism and prejudice. There isn't a huge LGBT community but I think any students of that type could easily find their niche. Most students are wealthy and are from the Northeast (and probably belong to a country club) but there are students from all over the country and the world. I would not say students are politically aware but rather politically apathetic. I often hear students voice political opinion or back a particular candidate but they can rarely back their opinions up. It's primarily the business students who are career and future oriented; those in the liberal arts just seem to be aimlessly floating around and will worry about the future when the time comes.

Lots of people transfer. I'm not exactly sure why, but I think transferring is more prevalent here than other institutions. I think the problem is most people don't know exactly what they want out of college or don't do enough research before choosing a school.

There's no denying that Richmond attracts those types of students. But I think their proportion relative to the rest of the student body is exaggerated. I think students of that demographic just tend to stick out. Must be the bright colored clothing or something.

The academic quality of this school is the top reason I've been satisfied with my decision to go here. Classes are small and professors are passionate. All of my professors know my name and even two years later continue to say hi and chat when we rendezvous on campus. Some of my professors could even tell you where I'm from, what I did over the summer, and what my hobbies and interests are. Most studying goes on in the library which could use some extra space but I think students successfully employ the "work hard, play hard" philosophy. Classes are tough but not overwhelming, depending on who your professor is. The business school is one of the most valuable assets of this University. As an Accounting major I think I'm probably graduating with the most valuable major the university offers. I can't imagine my professors being any better than they are. One of my professors was named one of BusinessWeek Magazine's top 22 favorite Business professors. He knows more about Accounting than anyone I could ever imagine. But more importantly, his command over the classroom is phenomenal. Who would have thought the Socratic method of teaching could be applied to something that seems as methodical as Accounting? That's the point- Accounting isn't methodical and requires as much critical thinking as any liberal arts course. And he forces his students to think critically and take his class seriously.

Greek life is huge. Rush happens in the Spring so you get some time to decide if it's right for you. As a girl who is an "independent" but whose friends are in sororities, it is easy to feel left out or different but fortunately any girl in a sorority probably has plenty of friends in different sororities or who are independent. Social life is concentrated on campus. Most parties on campus happen either in the on campus apartments or fraternity lodges (no Greek organizations are residential). If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, I have a big test the next day. If I don't want to drink on a Saturday night, it's totally normal to go out to the movies, go find a cool new restaurant with a friend (Richmond is loaded with them), or stay in and hang out with friends who also don't feel like going out and drinking. Athletic events aren't very popular, so if you're looking for a school with lots of spirit, look elsewhere. Richmond brings a lot of amazing performance artists (musical, theater, dance, etc.) and guest speakers that I wish more students would take advantage of. Performances are another good alternative Saturday night. It seems like most people make their friends early Freshman year, whether in orientation or in your dorm. Since housing isn't co-ed, students complain about segregation of the sexes. Dating isn't all that prevalent and I think a lot of people fall into the random hook-up trap (which I'm sure is the same at every school). The city of Richmond is great. There is a fun downtown scene (fraternities often host parties downtown and take shuttles of students), tons of great restaurants, excellent shopping, and beautiful sight-seeing.

The major stereotype that we all acknowledge is that Richmond students are rich, preppy, white, and probably boarding school graduates. Guys in ties, girls in pearls.

Dale

I can't name the best thing about Richmond- I love mostly everything. The one thing I would change would be to make dorms coed. I think the size of the school is just right, its small enough that you don't get lost in the shuffle and you always see friendly faces on your way to class. I spend most of my weekdays either in the library or in my dorm doing work. If it's a beautiful day, everyone will be working outside on the hill near the lake, at the greek theater, or tanning at the river. College town? Not really, but downtown Richmond is about 15 minutes away. There are plenty of clubs there and lots to do. The frats usually rent them out. We have a new administration that is supposed to be really great at listening to us and getting things done. The biggest recent controversy on campus was the doll incident.

Most Richmond students dress nice to class. Everyone likes to look cute. There is some de facto segregation between black students and whites. Let me get myself straight- as far as I am concerned there is not a racism problem. I can't explain it but black students here tend to stick together (I blame the pre-oreintation program, which allows minorities to arrive on campus before the rest of the student body. Therefore, the minorities get to know eachother first and that's who they are comfortable with). It's a weird thing but to my knowledge its everyones own choice who they hang out with, no racism, but thats how it tends to be.

For the most part, the stereotypes I've hear have been pretty accurate.

All of my professors DEFINITELY know my name. My biggest class has been maybe 20? My favorite class- McGarvie's Foundations of Leadership class. Definitely a must take. Class participation is common in most of my classes unless it's like really early in the morning. Students want to get good grades but they aren't competitive to the point where they won't help eachother. Professors have plenty of office hours and really WANT the students to use them. They love it when students come to talk.

Most popular groups- frats and sororities. Although athletes are cool, too, but they are their own group. Me and my friends alwaysss leave our doors open. Dating scene has a couple options. Either you date someone and get in a REALLY long term relationship, or you just hook up with random people. It really depends what kind of person you are. If you're not in a relationship don't expect to be taken out to dinner and a movies. If you're lucky you'll consider a date pregaming before the lodges. Socials are a lot of fun though. The frats and sororities each have about 3 socials each semester where you have to bring dates so those can be cute. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday I'm probably doing work. Or drinking. depending on the week. Every year there's pig roast. that's a LOT of fun. girls wear sundresses boys wear pastels and ties and the lodges are open and people drink all day. usually people party thursday friday saturday each week. more or less depending on who you are but thats the average. There aren't frat and sorority houses so it isnt IMPERATIVE to be in one but its a lot of fun! I'd say its more important for guys to be in frats than girls in sororities because they are the ones that actually have lodges and throw parties. Frats are definitely more exclusive with just hanging out with eachother. Last weekend.. friday night was my formal and saturday night we pregamed in my dorm then went to the lodges. off campus- tiki bobs, element. thursday night we usually go to one of the clubs.

Richmond is usually referred to as the "Richmond Bubble". The girls are gorgeous and the guys are decent.. but EVERYONE is preppy. It's a BEAUTIFUL campus with beautiful people, most have a lot of money.

Jordan

School is just the right size Most time on campus is spent in the library (big social scene actually) or parties. Not really a college town -- campus is kind of in a "bubble" that just happens to be next to Richmond. The Administration is currently trying to crack down hard on partying across campus at both the apartments and the fraternity lodges. Racism has been a big controversy on campus this school year. Not too much school pride, well at least on the athletic side of things. Pig Roast is the greatest experience at Richmond, but as mentioned earlier, the Admin. is trying to take this away one piece at a time. Going abroad is also an amazing experience that 50% or so of the students experience.

No experience with those groups. They are available though. All students can find a group of their own, but the school is predominantly white. Clothes range from dressing up everyday to students who basically roll out of bed and make it to class. 1 table for greek life, 1 table for independents, 1 table for athletes, 1 table for minorities Most students are from the New England area Upper-Middle class and above Politically aware, but most not active Left/Right -- Ranges Earnings -- yes

Most professors know students by name. Students study a lot on campus during the week, but very little on Friday and Saturday. Class participation is encouraged by most professors with most giving you a grade. Intellectual Conversation -- Yes Competitive -- Yes Unique Class -- Global IT or Enterprise Content Management All professors are accessible outside of class through both office hours, appointments, and email. Strong academic requirements Education in Business school at least is geared toward getting a job

Greek life is the social scene on campus. Students leave doors open when they are there. Athletic event popularity depends on how good the team is and who they are playing, but not too popular overall No experience with Speakers/Theater Not too strong of a dating scene. Lots of movement from person to person Closest friends -- Greek 2AM -- studying or partying Traditions -- Pig Roast (Spring) Party -- whenever they don't have work and all Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays Greek is the major social scene on campus. Last weekend -- party Friday, Saturday afternoon and Saturday night Non-drinking -- Movie on Campus or go off campus Bowling, Food, Movies, Golf

Kelly

The best thing about Richmond is the balance between academics and the social scene. The atmosphere here is very "work hard, play hard". I have never had a class where a professor does not know my name, and even got involved doing research as a freshman. I was able to create my own major in public health through interdisciplinary studies, and it has been one of the best things I have done here. The city of Richmond is nice, but most people tend to stay on campus because there is always so much going on. Sports are not a big deal here, so if you are looking for a school with a lot of school spirit, this school is not for you.

Richmond's student body is definitely preppy, but very motivated and passionate. We have a very activist student body who hold very different opinions. I wouldn't say the campus leans one way politically, it is pretty 50/50.

I think that this stereotype is true at times, but even though people may be rich and preppy most of them are still very down to earth.

The students here are very smart. Everyone I meet seems to have a passion for something. I was able to make my own major in international public health through the interdisciplinary department and with the help of two professors. One of my favorite professors is someone who I feel I will stay in touch in with long after I am gone. This is not rare at Richmond. The liberal arts education at Richmond is great, and I feel like I have been allowed to explore everything I have been interested in.

I am involved in an Acappella group, and I love it. I feel like they are my family. Like I said before, this school is definitely a "work hard, play hard" type of school. There are always fraternity lodges and apartment parties on Thursday nights and weekends. The campus is so safe. We never lock our door, and I have walked back to my dorm room by myself at 3 in the morning without a problem. I have never heard of any incident otherwise. Greek life is big, but sororities cannot throw parties except for socials which usually happen 3 times a semester. Fraternities have lodges where they throw parties on the weekends and people dance and drink. If you don't drink, there are always movies and shows happening on campus. You can also use the city to find something to do, but drinking is big.

That Richmond is full of rich and preppy kids from the east coast.

Toby

The school is tiny and pretty homogeneous. The students don't care about sports, so regardless of what coaches might tell you, the students don't give a damn. They won't go to your games and will treat you like outcasts as opposed to what is generally worship at other schools. The administration here is a joke. They aren't in touch with the students, and for that matter, the student government people aren't in touch with the students. The tuition here is raised every year. It costs $47,000 a year to go here now, but in reality you are paying for average to substandard student services. The food blows and there are few options on campus. Off campus options are pretty weak, but don't worry, no one leaves campus here ever anyways except to go to terrible fraternity sponsored parties downtown once or twice a semester.

There is little diversity here. People aren't very nice either, especially if your on fraternity territory. They swarm, so watch out, don't start any fights. Black students tend to hang with blacks, whites with whites, outside of the athletic teams. While unfortunate, I can't imagine its much different than most schools. Students seem overly concerned with money and what job they will get, especially in the business school, but that's not too surprising. There seems to be a lot of sleep lost over grades so kids will get the best internships and whatnot.

I fucking hate this place. The girls are ugly (but think they're attractive, of course), the guys think they're gods gift to the Earth, the facilities and food here are pretty mediocre. Class selection is ridiculous and dumb. You simply cannot get what you want in course selections and don't expect to get the professor you want or even your second choice even if you get the class you need. Do expect to be surrounded by the work hard/play hard types who overly stress about tests, papers, and exams and at the same time are completely inept at the "play hard" part of that equation. I'm sure I'm leaving a lot out of this, and I know I can't fully explain why this place sucks because a lot of it is personal. What I've said is relatively accurate. You won't think the parties are good unless you lived a sheltered life at home, which I get the feeling a lot of kids here did.

For the most part, yes. If you stay out of groups like the athletes. The average student here would fit best into the Northern, stuck up category. They embody this with their Greek life especially. They're overly exclusive and think their shit doesn't stink...and think their parties are actually good. For the most part girls are pretty mediocre to disgusting here give or take a few good looking ones here and there which are few and far between.

If you want small classes, then you'll like this place. I know all my teachers and all are very available for help. Class selection is incredibly competitive because the administration is super concerned with keeping the student/teacher ratio down. So don't count on getting close to what you want every semester, especially in your freshman and sophomore years. Students are overly competitive here and think they're a ton smart than they are. Most kids here are the try-hard type who really aren't that smart on their own, just study all damn day to make the ever important A. The assignments here tend to reflect that, especially in English. I had a teacher who insisted that I work 20 or more hours on each paper he assigned us. Keep in mind these were 4-6 page papers. The teachers, for the most part, are pretty damn smart, but maybe a little too opinionated. The professors liberal slant is a stark contrast to the rich, aristocratic atmosphere of the students here.

Fraternities and sororities are huge here. I think around half the girls are in some Greek organization and little less than half of the guys. The problem with the Greek organizations here is that they don't really know how to throw a good party. The parties are pretty weak comparative to other schools I've experienced. Add on top of that the fact that the fraternities are overflowing with a bunch of groupthink douchebags who think adhering to a frat gives them special powers is quite annoying and not conducive to your health if you cross them. I'm not the type to dislike Greek guys for being greek because I have experience with other schools. Its just the people aren't very nice here. On the whole, the social life is weak at best here. The parties are downright bad. Stick to a big school if you plan on being a big party person, trust me on that one.

Rich, conservative, stuck up, Northern, douchebaggery all around, ugly girls

AL

It's an excellent school academically - great classes, teachers, learning environment, opportunities, atmostphere. The campus is goregous, and the weather allows you to enjoy it. People really are invested in learning and doing their work; a lot of time is spent in the library. It's a fun place, too, on the weekends. You will see friends while walking around campus, which is always nice. The administration really listens to student voices and results of hardwork are seen and rewarded. Organizations are visible, and LOTS of people participate in them. EVeryone is busy all the time - with school work, greek life, volunteering, organizations, etc. The people who fit-in LOVE richmond and wouldn't have it any other way. Most people who don't fit into the steryotype hate it.

The following information is a generatlization for the majority of the student body, it does not describe EVERYONE by any means. However, it is an accurate representation of the majority of "typical" Richmond students. I'll be honest here. Richmond is not diverse at all. The dominent steryptypes - white, preppy, rich - consume the student body. If you don't fit in this group, you will likely feel like an outcast, to varying degrees. You'll be "weird." Most students wear sundresses, PEARLS, polo brand polo shirts, J. Crew, vineyard vines, etc clothing to class every day. They dress as if they're going on a job interview, or to a preppy new england yacht club or something. Most people are from the North. They're rich and they know it. A lot of them want you to know it, too. Most girls are thin, blonde, and beautiful (no joke). They all look the same, and dress the same. The boys are not ashamed to wear pastels, tightish pants, or the likes. "Preppy" is an understatement. Most people are not aware of money/the real world. They use their parent's credit card for everything. It is NOT by any means a lifestyle or population representative of the real world.

If you're not rich and PREPPY you won't fit in here. As much as richmond likes the pretend, the campus is EXTREMELY monogomous. There is little diversity, and most people dress alike, act alike, and think alike. If you dont fit in the steryotype, you will most likely not like this school very much. Lots of people are snobby and conceited, and act like they're better than if you aren't "like them." Richmond sells Vera Bradley and Vineyard Vines in the bookstore - that gives you an idea of the demographic here. There are BMWS and Audis in the parking lot. Boys wear tight, pastel, pink pants. If its above 55 out, about 75% of the girls will wear sundresses (with the obligatory pearls, of course). IF YOU ARE NOT PREPPY BEWARE. you MUST realize that this steryotype is accurate. IF you fit in, its an amazing school i'm sure. People LOVE Richmond if it's right for them. They think its the best place on earth. It is a great place in many ways (particulaly academics, campus, weather, location). Please just be aware that there is a definite demographic which dominates it, regardless of what they try to tell you or how the brochure looks. Obviously, these generalizations don't hold true for everyone. Clearly I don't fit in here, but I still have friends, i still go out, and i still have fun. So it's not all bad and not everyone is the same. Just be aware of what you're getting into. It's not the real world, and it is not for everyone.

Academics at Richmond are amazing. Classes are very small and intimate; everyone participates and is actively involved. Attendance is mandatory for sucess and to pass. Skipping class is rare and has consequences. Professors know your name - always. They talk to you outisde of class, via email, around campus; some people are even friends with their professors and "hang out" with them. Students spend a LOT of time studying here. The library is the "cool" place to be on any given night; you'll see all yoru friends there. It's a social zone - do your work and see your friends at once. If you're not at the library or don't have work to do, you're the one who's out of place. The opportunities are awesome. There are field trips (one calss went on an airplane to new york this winter!), famous guest lecturers, and a multitude of opportunities for students. Lots of support and help getting internships, study abroad, and pursuing activities in the community. There are SO MANY great opportunities this school has to offer and it is an enriching, excellent learning environment in all ways.

People party on the weekends, and some thursdays. Its not a party school. Yes, we have a lot of fun / go out hardcore, but schoolwork is the priority. If you have a huge paper, you just don't go out that weekend. its that simple. Fraternaties and Sororities dominate college life. If you aren't into greek life, well, that just sucks for you. Lodge parties are the main weekend events. Apartment parties happen too, but again, they are usually thrown by someone who is greek-affiliated. Frat/sorority socials are also big things here. Sometimes there are downtown "richmond" events, but they are also sponsered by frats. you dont need to be involved in greek life to partake by any means, but its a huge thing. It's hard to go off-campus. It requires a lot of planning, money, or both. The bars/downtown are about 20 minutes away, so you have to get a cab (or convince a friend to DD). It's more of a hassle than anything, so basiclaly you're stuck in the bubble. If you're awake on 2 am tuesday, you're doing homework. Things non-alcohol related to do? There are lots of campus sponsered events - movies, speakers, lectures, music, outside festivals, etc. Some are better than others. There are 3 malls within 10 minutes of school, and a little town, so shopping is a big thing. So is going out to dinner - people LOVE to go out to dinner here. there's a river nearby where people go to swim/tan in fall and spring. Other than that, people really don't go off-campus all that much.

"Pretty campus, pretty people." Richmond is steryotypically full of extremly preppy, rich, white people from up north. It is also often described as the "Richmond Bubble." It's not the real world, nor representative of the actual population. You cannot escape the bubble; all of campus is its own little pseudo-world, sheltered and disallusioned from the realities of life.

Shannon

I really like Richmond for its size. It's really not too big so that I feel like a nobody who knows nobody, nor is it too small (where you know everyone on campus and get bored). I still feel like I'm constantly meeting new, interesting (I guess sometimes not interesting too) people. So, I would say "just right". I still get tired of people staying in pretty much cut out typical groups (sorority girls with sorority girls, frats guys with frats guys, internationals with internationals, blacks with blacks, the "outsiders" with the "outsiders", etc. I wish there was more interaction between these clearly cut groups. I really like the committment of the faculty, administration, everything(!) to the students. I honestly feel so spoiled here, but it's awesome. Endless abroad, research activities... student involvement in different groups is definitely doable, there are so many events going on that I'm interested in. What I think it still lacks however is a kind of community unity feeling... I dunno, I wish people didn't stay in their rooms so much, close their doors so much... that they'd be outside more often or in a more "common area" type space just chillin'.

I still feel like there's a big racial divide on campus. The campus is undoubtedly overwhelming Catholic/Christian, which I consider kind of a bummer. Most don't seem to be practicing, however (something important to note). I still have many friends who are Hindu. Don't know too many atheists on campus... (at least they're not out-spoken enough to be known). Most students get too dressed up for class (in my opinion). I think students who are more of the "outsider" type would feel out of place at Richmond, but I think that they should not be scared away from Richmond- there are others like them here! A lot of Richmond students come from PA, MD, CT, NY, VA, NJ, etc... aka, the north east. I'm from CA, and I've definitely met more Cali/west coaster students here than I expected to meet. Lots of internationals, which I love. There are definitely students here paying full price, but I also know a lot of students who are on practically full financial aid (though you would never know unless they told you). There are also a lot of scholarship recipients (50 full-tuition scholars out of every class). Students are as politically aware as I would like, though I think the election is changing that attitude a little bit at least on campus. I wish however, that students were more passionate about [especially] international issues, and the US's effect on the rest of the world, good and bad. Most students seem to be center-ish. There are too many crazy liberals on campus putting on protests (I would like to see that). I think everyone hopes they'll make a lot of money one day, but I've met students here who know they won't because of what they want to go into (teaching, social change, etc.).

Honestly, I have mixed feelings about this school. There are things about it that I don't like, but there are things about it that I just love. Coming up to my senior year next year makes me realize how much this place has become home, and how much I'm going to miss it when it's all over.

I would say there are definitely a lot of rich and preppy students here, but there are tons of other students that totally don't fit these stereotypes.

I definitely know all my professors my name and they know me for sure (which sometimes sucks if you want to slack off). Students study A LOT here... there's a lot of work. Of course it depends on the student and how much he/she decides to take on (unfortunately double majoring with all these minors is very popular on campus thus stressing you out even more... I'm a victim of the viscious cycle) and his/her time managment capabilities. All of students seem to pull things off pretty well. Others, don't, but get by. I would say there are definitely Richmond students who want to engage in intellectual conversations, but I wish there were more of them/more opportunities to get involved in such conversations. Students are definitely competitive here (how can any student not be when looking at grad school admissions, etc.?). I'm doubling in Spanish and French, and for the most part love it. I think the French department spends too much time on literature, and not enough time on the history of francophone countries, current events, etc. One of my French teachers once invited our 6-person class to her appartment to have lunch and make up a missed class. It was awesome. Definitley one of the more memorable experiences I've had a Richmond. I feel like education is definitely geared toward learning for its own sake, which is what's best (or so they say?) for the "real world" since, if you know how to think, you can adapt yourself more easily to different jobs/learn faster.

Sororities and fraternities are [unfortunately] the most popular groups on campus. They dominate the social scene/social ties. I think that people have to devote so much time to them that they don't get involved in other activities/multi-cultural groups, and thus there's this kind of divide between those in Greek life and those not. There are exceptions, of course, but I usually don't meet a Greek student unless he/she lives next to me or is in a class of mine. I'm involved in VOX (Voices for Planned Parenthood), SALSA (Spanish and Latino Student Alliance), and Ambassador's Club (where American students get matched up with international exchange/4-year students). The multi-cultural scene on campus is definitely improving, and I really enjoy participating in and attending different cultural performances to learn about other countries/ideas. I think it really depends on the dorm/hall as to whether or not students leave their doors open. Athletic events are so-so popular, but the administration is really trying to get students more interested in attending. There are toonnnnnsssss of guest speakers, educational, non-educational- they're great :) The dating scene... well, I've been in a steady long-term relationship, and there are definitely others on campus who are in the boat, but I still here more often than not about weekend hookups, etc. Because it's a closed campus, it's kind of hard to go on the traditional date, so the dating scene is definitely different than if you were living at home. I met my closest friends through organizations I joined. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, then I'm DEFINITELY doing hw/procrastinating on doing hw. People party Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. Last weekend was our president's inauguration, so I went to all the events for that on Friday plus played some tennis, slept all day Saturday (it was a lonnngggg week), and mostly did hw on Sunday. Not too eventful, but then again it was my first free weekend in a long time and I wanted to just chill. This weekend, I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to even get to hw with all the events going on!

People think that all Richmond students are rich and preppy.

University of Richmond administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.