University of Richmond, VA
University of Richmond

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Richmond

McKenzie

As cliche as it sounds, enrolling at UR was one of the best decisions I've made. I was looking at small(ish) liberal arts schools in the Virginia/North Carolina area and Richmond was more than I could ask for. Carytown is an area nearby that has great shops and restaurants and Short Pump Mall isn't but a twenty-minute drive. The University provides transportation every hour so it's easy to get off campus without your own car.

Janiya

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

preppy bitches who cry while driving

preppy bitches who cry while driving

Will

The campus looks great, too bad that people don't care about things larger than themselves. Too bad people are not generous, very nice, or involved in things like art, politics, or the community. Too bad most majors are not that great, and our reputation is based on the BSchool. Aside from academics, there really are not as many opportunities here compared to what you can get elsewhere. You wont really be able to take part in extracurricular or grow as a person outside of the classroom.

Colby
Love Being a Spider!

I absolutely love the University of Richmond! I couldn't imagine attending any other university!

Love Being a Spider!

The students at the University of Richmond are hard-working, driven academically, and most come from wealthy families.

The University of Richmond fosters a great learning environment through professors that are always available, on campus resources, and guaranteed funding for off-campus experiences such as internships.

People told me that college would be hard. However, there was one thing that no one warned me about: orientation. Orientation at my school consisted of five straight eighteen-hour days. At the time, I felt like crying. I am not a person who does well on a lack of sleep, and my less-than-functioning brain made it incredibly difficult to make friends. Now, as a resident assistant in a first-year women’s dorm, I totally get it. Keeping freshmen busy during orientation means that they will have less time to miss their families, and more opportunities to make friends. If I could talk to myself a senior in high school, I would tell that girl not to worry. Your true best friends won’t be made until the second semester anyway, and that’s okay. You don’t have to be best friends with your freshman year roommate, or the hallmates you lived with that year either. Just be the best version of you, and the friends will come naturally.

Brianna

The worst thing would have to be the amount of drinking on campus during the weekends.

The school is only about 3,000 students so the classes are small and it is easy to get to know one another.

When I was in high school, I was behind on my language credits. Most colleges want their prospective students to have taken two to four years of a language. By the time I finished high school, I only had two years of Spanish under my belt. Because of this, my university, University of Richmond, wanted to make sure that I was proficent in a language so I had to take another year of Spanish. The courses were great, but very intensive and time-consuming. I am glad that I took the courses but I would have liked to have possibly taken another language because the more languages you know the better for networking and any career. Also, I would have told myself to push myself even harder to get better grades and especially join clubs. Joining clubs like leadership or the school newspaper would have further prepared me for the future since college and life is not only about making sure you get an A on a test.

Mary Catherine

If I could go back in time and talk to the high school version of me, I would have told myself to try and be more prepared for the difficulty of college. For me, the jump between scholastics in high school and college was large and I did not realize how unprepared I was. My grades suffered freshman year of college because I wasn't putting in as much effort as I needed to and I learned how hard it is to pull up your GPA after a bad year. As a high school senior, I was mentally prepared for college with the exception of this. I would be sure to stress to myself how important hard work and effort is right from the get go in college.

The people at the University of Richmond make it into a great school, including the fellow students, teachers, and staff. Everyone is extremely helpful. The professors are there to assist you and put you first; something that is not as common at research based schools. The students there are generally very friendly and open. When visiting the campus for the first time, I felt like I belonged and that never changed during my four years there.

I wish I had known better how to balance my coursework. I started out with 17 credits in my first semester freshman year and quickly felt like I was drowning. I would have preferred to space out my general education requirements and if necessary, taken a course or 2 over the summer.

Amy

Overall, I love the school. It has a heavy focus on its high academic standard and wants to help all of the students succeed. I like the small school because it keeps the class size small which facilitates a strong relationship with each professor. The academic standards are high which gives the school a strong reputation. School spirit is there is you look for it, but won't overwhelm you. Richmond is right next to VCU so there is plenty to do ff campus.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

The food is good until you get tired of it. There are plenty of options, but, as it is to be expected, you get tired of the after a while. There are a lot of healthier options, which is nice.

Describe the dorms.

Some dorms are super nice, like Lakeview, and others are just standard college dorms. None of them are gross and it really depends on your hallmates for how much you like dorm life. The cleaning crew keeps the halls super clean and the bathrooms are cleaned daily. The walls are thin, as per the usual in college, but overall dorms are good.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

This school had all of the programs that I wanted, the location was perfect, the financial aid was fantastic, and when I visited I fell in love with the beautiful campus.

Extremely diverse and academically driven student body. Work hard play hard is a definite way to summarize the student body.

Academics are tough. The professors know you so skipping class is not really an option. Most classes are discussion based so if you don't read you're screwed and it will show.

Amy

The students at Richmond can be summed up as people who work hard but play hard. There are a lot of different groups represented on campus (racial, religious, LGBT (we were ranked as one of the top accepting schools of LGBT groups), and socio-economic) and there are many clubs on campus where these groups can get together to share their experiences and form a connection over these experiences. Students mostly dress nicely to class but you will see people walking around in work out clothes or sweats/yoga pants occasionally. Most students are from Virginia and the North East but there are also greater populations of students coming from around the country and with 6% of students being international students. Richmond has a great financial aid program as well as scholarships so students come from all different kinds of financial backgrounds. Students here are very ambitious, very involved, and very hard working.

Academics are tough here at Richmond. People are always in the library working hard. But I think the atmosphere here seems to be work hard, play hard, which is nice because you don't want to burn yourself out! Professors will know your name here, and ask you where you were if you miss class or ask if you are feeling better if you were sick. The professors are for the most part outstanding. They really care about their students. For a macro-economics class, I was sick and missed a class and my professor, Professor Dolan, allowed me to call him at home so that he could explain a concept to me so that I could finish a problem set that was due the next class. There are always outside educational opportunities at Richmond as well including speakers, round table discussions, and clubs. Richmond requires you to get a full liberal arts background by taking different classes across departments (math, science, literature, visual or performing art, etc.) so you really get a broad education. The education here is a good mix between academia and teaching you things that will actually be applicable in your career field.

The stereotype is that Richmond is full of preppy white kids who are all from the tri-state area. This stereotype is not completely untrue as you will see a lot of people walking around in preppy clothes, etc. but Richmond has been working on increasing diversity for a few years now and I think they are succeeding. There is a greater population of non-white students on campus each year and we even have about 6% of international students. We also have students from over 45 states and each state is becoming more and more represented each year.

University of Richmond administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.