University of Richmond, VA
University of Richmond

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Richmond

Amy

The students at Richmond can be summed up as people who work hard but play hard. There are a lot of different groups represented on campus (racial, religious, LGBT (we were ranked as one of the top accepting schools of LGBT groups), and socio-economic) and there are many clubs on campus where these groups can get together to share their experiences and form a connection over these experiences. Students mostly dress nicely to class but you will see people walking around in work out clothes or sweats/yoga pants occasionally. Most students are from Virginia and the North East but there are also greater populations of students coming from around the country and with 6% of students being international students. Richmond has a great financial aid program as well as scholarships so students come from all different kinds of financial backgrounds. Students here are very ambitious, very involved, and very hard working.

Academics are tough here at Richmond. People are always in the library working hard. But I think the atmosphere here seems to be work hard, play hard, which is nice because you don't want to burn yourself out! Professors will know your name here, and ask you where you were if you miss class or ask if you are feeling better if you were sick. The professors are for the most part outstanding. They really care about their students. For a macro-economics class, I was sick and missed a class and my professor, Professor Dolan, allowed me to call him at home so that he could explain a concept to me so that I could finish a problem set that was due the next class. There are always outside educational opportunities at Richmond as well including speakers, round table discussions, and clubs. Richmond requires you to get a full liberal arts background by taking different classes across departments (math, science, literature, visual or performing art, etc.) so you really get a broad education. The education here is a good mix between academia and teaching you things that will actually be applicable in your career field.

The stereotype is that Richmond is full of preppy white kids who are all from the tri-state area. This stereotype is not completely untrue as you will see a lot of people walking around in preppy clothes, etc. but Richmond has been working on increasing diversity for a few years now and I think they are succeeding. There is a greater population of non-white students on campus each year and we even have about 6% of international students. We also have students from over 45 states and each state is becoming more and more represented each year.

Matthew

UofR is the perfect size for me. You don't know everyone, but you recognize a lot of faces. It creates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. The student population is very smart and the work ethic here is super strong. The library is always packed and competition to succeed is high. It is a study hard/party hard kind of school. You wont find many slackers here...the professors wont put up with it and you can't "get by" at UofR. It is a challenging academic school and you learn a lot about yourself along the way in addition to all of the material you learn in the classroom. The campus is beautiful...you will hear that a lot. The school spends a lot of money making sure that every part of campus looks perfect. From the buildings, to the landscape, to the facilities, everything is top-knotch and the up-keep is frequently described as perfect.

There is so much to do on campus that anyone can find up to 10 activities/groups to get involved with. Greek life is popular but not necessary whatsoever. You can go to all the same Greek parties and events even if you are not a brother or sister. There is always something to do on campus 24/7 and you make your experience at Richmond what you want it to be. Most students are always involved and super busy. The common joke is that UofR students struggle to fit everything that they want to put onto their resume on one page...it's basically impossible for most UofR students.

There is the common stereotype that UofR students are only from New Jersey. It's not true! UofR has a diverse student population with students from all over the country and the world. Specifically, Virginia has the largest percentage of students out of all the 50 states. Another stereotype is that all UofR students wear JCrew, Brooks Brothers, and Ralph Lauren to school everyday. This is not entirely true either. However, UofR is the type of school where students go to class looking very presentable. It is uncommon to see students in class wearing sweatpants (unless they are atheletes) and it is more likely that the person sitting to your right and left is wearing some sort of collared shirt, chinos, and boat shoes.

Kelsey

I love the University of Richmond. It is a small University with the small campus feel while at the same time having the resources of a large university. It is a gorgeous campus, and thus many people from the community often come to run/walk around the lake. The school has a lot of traditions which give the university a sense of character. The school is located ten minutes outside of the city of Richmond thus there are a plethora of activities to dip their toes in. However, if students so choose, as many do, you never really need to leave campus because everything you need is located on campus. The favorite hang out during the week is definitely Boatwright Library!

The students at richmond are generally very involved individuals. Generally, students are involved in at least 3 clubs or organizations on campus. As a result, students tend to be very busy! Some of the organizations present on campus are greek life, campus activities board, richmond rowdies, acapella groups, interfaith groups and etc. Greek life is present on campus; approximately 50% of females participate and 30% of males. However, there is no greek housing. Thus, regardless of whether or not you are greek, campus is very cohesive for both independents and greeks. The dress code on campus is generally described as pretty preppy or as something right out of a JCrew catalog. It is common to see students in north faces and patagonias while rocking rainbow sandals. However, this style is not true for everyone and that is what makes our campus so great. There are three rooms in the dining hall. Generally, those affiliated with greek life sit in the first room, athletes sit in the second room (because DUH it's closest to the food) and anyone sits in the third room.

Students come from all different backgrounds and from all over the world. I would not say that there is one stereotype that fits are campus and that is what is so unique about it. You will find jocks, frats, nerds, and just your average joes.

Margaret

Absolutely love UR. My favorite part of school is the science programs; I'm a biochemistry major so that would make sense. Undergraduate research is phenomenal. The school also has a beautiful campus, and is a manageable size. I like being able to walk from one end of the school to the other in 15 minutes. If I had to change anything, I'd like to have a more vibrant bike culture. Not many people use bicycles as their primary transportation source, and I wish the amount of car traffic on campus was lower. I love being close to downtown Richmond without living in downtown Richmond. We have a lot of school pride, though this is not often expressed through athletics. We are definitely not a football school. I love the library, the paninis in the dining hall, and the recreation center.

I'm involved with the orchestra, Intervaristy Christian Fellowship, a science honor society, and a green advocacy group. Some of the most popular groups on campus include the sororities and fraternities (both social and service-oriented). We also have a large intramural sports system, and there is a lot of participation in that. Many students are involved in student government. One of the most distinctive things about Richmond is the number of students who participate in study abroad. I (and most of my friends) have studies abroad or are planning to in a future semester.

We have a very interesting mix of students at UR. There are the frat boys and sorority girls, who tend to band together. However, there are also tons of religious communities, clubs, sports teams, and other organizations where people find their niche. Most people are very engaged in the student body and community. The Bonner scholars have substantial service projects in the greater Richmond area and are prominent volunteers in local schools and nonprofits. The wardrobe of UR students spans a wide spectrum: from J. Crew to sweatpants and a t-shirt. Though, on average, Richmond students are pretty well-dressed, often in dresses or khakis with Oxford shirts.

I think the two greatest assets of our school are the business schools and the science departments. These provide a level of instruction far above most other undergraduate institutions. We also have very solid liberal arts programs, particularly in political science and international studies. My favorite class so far was organic chemistry, but I also loved my English class and microeconomics, which are outside my major. Class participation is a must at Richmond, usually it is considered in your grade, and the classes are too small to be anonymous in. Teachers and students know each other by name and meet one-on-one frequently. The academics are difficult; you have to work hard to do well here. However, the professors are great and you learn a lot.

University of Richmond has been stereotyped as a "preppy", privileged school with a homogenous population. Though we do have our fair share of designer handbags and people do love to wear sundresses to football games, I don't think the stereotype is very accurate. We have a very diverse student body, and though there is some serious wealth, there are also a ton of students who are here because Richmond provides fantastic financial aide. I have met all kinds of different people, and speaking for myself and the group of friends I associate with, we are preppy.

Kacie

Overall, Richmond is an incredible opportunity. Research is readily available, class sizes are small, faculty and staff are always looking out for students, the campus is beautiful, and the city has a lot to do. Richmond is working on increasing diversity on campus and these efforts definitely show in recent years. The administration is always trying to improve the campus and student life. Also, if you're interested in study abroad, Richmond is the place to be. Plane ticket stipends, reimbursement procedures, a strong international office, etc. are all fabulous perks of studying abroad from Richmond. They work so hard to make it affordable and feasible for everyone. I'm currently abroad and loving it! This is definitely my favorite thing about Richmond. As for complaints, I find school pride a little lacking (until basketball season, of course!). This is a common complaint. The only other complaint is that it's a little difficult to get into the city from campus unless you have a car on campus. However, there are shuttles. For me personally, I find the campus a little small, but I still wouldn't change my college choice for anything. I've had a great first half of my college career and a large part of that is due to Richmond!

Emmy

I love it here! The best thing about Richmond is that you can really have it all - the options of tons of majors, study abroad options, and social events, while still finding time to make close friends, and have tons of fun. One thing I'd change is the transportation available to students. I'd have more shuttles, but they're in the process of doing that now. I love the size of the student body because there are tons and tons of people I don't know, but whenever I leave my dorm room to go anywhere, I see at least one friend. When I tell people I go to Richmond they either say how great of a school it is, or they've never heard of it; it's a tossup really. The City of Richmond is great and has a lot of museums, restaurants, clubs, and fun things to check out, it's worth the 10 minute trip. I love the personal attention that professors give you, sometimes I pass my seminar prof from last semester and he always stops to ask me how I'm doing.

The most popular activities on campus are sororities and fraternities, a capella groups, and advocacy groups. We have environmental groups, pro-life and pro-choice groups, community service groups, and political groups. Club and intramural sports are also super popular. I'm involved in the Glee Club on campus, a service fraternity, a mentor program, and guitar class. Students are very open, leaving laptops in the library and phones on dining hall tables. Richmond also has some cool traditions like Ring Dance (a dance for junior girls), Pig Roast (a big party in march), and beach week (the first week of summer).

Academics at Richmond are challenging but manageable. As a student here you should expect to be intellectually stimulated and challenged. All of my professors know my name, and I have gotten to know most of them personally outside of class. Students usually spend their days balancing classes, meals, clubs, and studying. You definitely won't feel like all you're doing is studying. Our most popular major is international relations, and we have a top-ranked business school.

Dani

Students are UR are hard workers. These are the students who have worked hard to excel in high school in academics, athletics, leadership positions and extra-cirriculars. The student body itself is extraordinarily diverse as we respresent some of the best students from across the country. Students run the spectrum of political involvement and hold a wide variety of beliefs, yet this dedication to excellence may be one of our biggest unifying traits as a school. This driven group of students has chosen to be in an environment that challenges them academically. At the same time, fun is also an important aspect of Richmond life. UR Spiders like to work hard and play hard.

Professors at Richmond are some of the school's greatest assets. With a 9:1 student to faculty ratio and the average class size of 17, there is a lot of student-professor interaction. Many classes are discussion based but even lecture style classes are heavy on class participation. Students are always expected to be prepared for class and a small classroom setting requires it. The work load is sizable but for students who can master time-management there is always enough time for fun. Classes at UR are unique because professors want students to be able to apply the theoretical material they learn in the classroom. As a result, students often work out in the community practicing the skills and utilizing the theories they have been taught. This includes performing leadership asessments of organizations in the community or being a part of the Student Managment Fund which has the opportunity to invest $300,000 into the stock market each year. Aside from tough academics that stress skills like critical thinking, students really are prepared to go out into the work place and the school provides a variety of opportunities to secure jobs. Job expos, practice interviews, resume reviews, and hosting large corporations on campus are the norm and it certainly pays off.

Overachiever central. Everyone wants to do EVERYTHING. Richmond kids want to excel in the classroom, on the field, in clubs, leadership positions, and in their social lives. People work really hard here, but they also play hard.

Greek life is big for people involved. About 1/2 of the women are in sororities and about 40% of the men are in fraternities. There are always things going on on-campus: concerts, plays, festivals, sporting events, trips, parties, etc.

While we have an exponentially growing international and ethnic student population, the majority of students are white and from the northeast and come from wealthy families.

Academics require a lot of hard work and teachers assign A LOT of reading and assignments. Professors will know your name and so will everyone in your class.

Richmond kids are thought of as just that: Rich, white, northern kids who all were president of a thousand clubs in high school and got straight A's. Overachievers.

The absolute best thing about my school are the people! Richmond is a place where you feel welcome, safe, and most importantly significant. The small class sizes allow you to work close with your professor as well as develop friendships with classmates. The campus is also in an amazing location. We are in walking distance of the James River (which is where people love to go on warm days) while we also reside right outside of the city of Richmond and are less than two hours from Washington D.C.. Being that the location of the school is so great there are plenty of opportunities on and around campus!

Greg

Starting answering!We have a diverse student body at the University of Richmond. I have friends from all socio-economic, religious,and racial backgrounds. We have a very large international student body so it is easy to make friends from all backgrounds. There is really no norm for what students wear to class. Some wear sweats, some wear jeans and a t-shirt, some wear designer labels, and some dress very nicely. The highest majority of students are from the North East USA, however we have students from all over the country and all over the world. The majority of students are not very politically aware but some are. Almost all students interact with each other regales of age, race, religion, socio-economic background, or sexual orientation.

There is no common stereotype at the University of Richmond. The student body is diverse and includes all types of people.

University of Richmond administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.