University of Richmond, VA
University of Richmond

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Richmond

This school is so unique. It is a small school but has a medium sized school feel. We have division 1 sports and greek life. Yet with greek life you do not have housing so it is not too overwhelming. The school is an academic school that knows how to have a good time. It is in a very nice neighborhood with fun areas surrounding the school. The school itself is gorgeous. The school does a great job with having all buildings look alike and having nice greenery. Overall the professors are amazing and really there for the students. I have had so many professors give me their personal numbers and said to call if we need help at any time.

The stereotype is that the kids at this school look like you should be in a J Crew magazine. To a certain extent yes. People dress up for class while most athletes do not. However, you will see many people in sweats throughout the day and not just when they are going to the gym.

Gwendolyn

I love Richmond. It is a high class place with great profs, interesting people, gorgeous (seriously) campus, and good food. The size is nice, although it feels small sometimes, until I change my routine and run into all new faces. People definitely spend a lot of time on campus, and it would be nice to have more of a "city" culture. But sometimes that just takes borrowing a car/figuring out the shuttles. Probably one of the most interesting things about Richmond is how crazily huge the endowment is. Because of this, our campus stay beautiful, professors top notch, and the activities/venues/resources that are brought to campus are almost unheard of for undergrads at a small-ish school.

There is a lot of wealth on campus, but also a LOT of people who are here because of significant financial aid, which really helps with the diversity on campus. There are a lot of different religious groups on campus, some more prominent than others. The LGBT community is there but underrepresented. The socio-economic bar is set pretty high, but its true that not everyone is rich and had Daddy paying for school. I never hear people bragging or even talking about money, though. Even though that is probably the majority. The culture here is to wear really nice clothes to class and the library, which is annoying when you want to wear sweatpants. So many people are from the North East. Its a running joke that if you guess someone's hometown as Jersey, you'll probably be right. But that makes it an interesting dynamic for those who see Richmond as a southern school, and for the southerners who see it as northern.

Ethan

Richmond is the perfect school for anyone looking for a small, prestigious community to call home for their college careers. At roughly 3,200 undergraduate students, Richmond is small enough where you will see familiar and friendly faces when you are int he dining hall or going to class, but big enough where you will not see the same kids every day for four years. We spiders create a tight community where everyone seems to be looking out for each other. Although not everyone knows of the University when you tell them you go to Richmond, the people that matter such as employers are very familiar with the school and are impressed with the name. Our mascot is the only NCAA mascot called the spiders, and we are certainly proud of them. Our football team won a national championship a few years ago and our basketball team made it to the sweet-16 last year. What's not to love about the spiders?

The student body at UofR is diverse in every sense of the word. There is not one dominant race, religion, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, or group of students that dominate the population. Nobody would step onto campus and feel that there are no other students like them and that they are out of place. Students come from all over the country, and my group of friends alone come from a breadth of places ranging from Illinois to Kansas to New York.

Jill

Greek Life is pretty big here, and a lot of the social scene revolves around it. That being said, Richmond's Greek Life is different than it is at other schools because you don't rush until the second semester of your first year and we do not have any Greek housing. Richmond students tend to be involved in a lot of different on campus organizations, and really just like to add Greek life to their long list of accolades. It's a fun way to meet new people, but if Greek life isn't your thing you won't be completely left out. Non-greeks can attend Greek social events and are often friends with people in various Greek organizations. Besides on campus events, there are so many fun things to do in the city of Richmond including great restaurants, a fun bar scene, plenty of museums and historical sites, and the James River. If you're not into the on campus social scene, it's always fun to go see a two dollar movie at the Byrd theater and grab frozen yogurt at Sweet Frog.

My smallest class here has been 8 people and my largest was about 24 people. With small classes, the professors really get to know you on a personal level which is great. Many classes will celebrate the end of the semester with a dinner at a restaurant or at a professor's home. Academics are tough, and students put a lot of time into their work during the week. I'm a Leadership Studies major which is a unique program here at U of R. Because the school is the first of its kind and one of the only undergraduate leadership studies programs in the country, all of the professors involved are the leading experts in their field and are really dedicated to both research and teaching. I like the Leadership School because it allows for exposure to a lot of really smart people from a lot of different backgrounds including economics, philosophy, political science, and history. Some people complain about the general education requirements, but ultimately, most are glad to have their liberal arts background no matter their major.

The stereotype that U of R if full of rich white kids was, at one time, probably fairly accurate. Even though our student body is currently fairly diverse and becoming increasingly so each year, we still can't seem to shake our reputation. Richmond's financial aid is incredible due to our need-blind admission policy, and a large portion of the students receive some sort of aid package. Sure, as far as trends and styles go, our student body is noticeably "preppy" and many students wear Sperrys and carry Longchamp bags, but that doesn't mean that those same students aren't receiving considerable financial aid or might be the first in their family to attend college. Of course, there are people who attend Richmond that are both financially well-off and white, but they are certainly not the overwhelming majority.

Julie

This school is a place where people go to balance school work and other activities. It is a place where lots of people are involved and know how to have a good time.

It depends on who you ask. There is a greek presence and as a D1 school, there are a lot of athletes at Richmond. However, we have 250 clubs/organizations, so they have a very broad spectrum and most are very active and popular.

There isn't a way to describe all students at Richmond. They care about school and are very much involved in the community that is UR. It may be on a sports team, greek life, theater, dance, community service, art, or any number of the clubs, but everyone contributes.

Academics are challenging for sure, but are invigorating. I certainly spend time in the library, but what differentiates academics at Richmond is the professors. The intimate atmosphere means office hours are encouraged to be taken advantage of. I may struggle with material sometimes, but there are so many resources to help me, that I never feel like it is a mountain I cannot climb.

Richmond is a place with lots of different types of people. If you start talking to people, you will find they all have a unique story to share.

Richmond is a place where every student has a different story, and if you look past the surface, you'll find interesting backgrounds and lots of different kinds of people.

Austin

The stereotype of students that go to this school are a bunch of sheltered students that have lived their whole life in private school with really loaded parents that want to go to private college, where only they can afford it. This summary, however, could not be farther from the truth. True, there are some sheltered people here, some people who have only gone to private school, and some people who have really rich families. But, this certainly doesn't apply to the entirety, or even the majority of this school. One thing Richmond really is underrated on when students skim their future options is their outstanding financial aid program, which opens up a lot of opportunities for students with lower income parents, I, for one, am a recipient of their generous financial aid, without which I would not have been able to afford to go to such a great university. Because of their financial aid program, a very diverse group of students attend Richmond, from all different countries and states, all of which are really willing to learn and put out all their effort to create an inclusive and academic environment. There is always a group you can connect with, no matter what "group" you consider yourself to be.

I am literally in love with everything about my school. I could not imagine myself any other place. Occasionally it seems like my school is too small because it often seems like everybody knows everyone else, but other times, that is another awesome part of my school. It is so good to walk to class and see a ton of familiar faces. You always have someone to eat with or study with or just hang out with. UR literally gives me every opportunity I could possibly ever want and every single person on campus genuinely wants me to succeed.

There is a club or student group that is fit for everyone. For activities that we don't already have, it is extremely easy to start. Richmond wants every type of student to fit in. There are predominantly white students; however, there are students from many different ethnic and religious backgrounds. A lot of students are from the Northeast. Students are very active and like to have a lot on their plate. They are motivated and want to succeed.

Joey

I could not love it more! Richmond is on the smaller side of schools, but it is just right. It is slightly bigger than most high schools and provides big school experiences with a small school atmosphere.

I met most of my closest friends through our fantastic Orientation program. During New Student Orientation, students are paired off into groups based on their halls and paired with a hall of the opposite gender. That's where I met my first friends!

Richmond is a community where everyone finds students that will become their new best friends.

The average class size is 17 students with a 9:1 student to faculty ratio. I know all of my teachers on a personal level and they all know me by name. I am a double major in Leadership Studies and Political Science but I would say that most people have the same positive academic experiences.

Kelly

Overall I am in love with this school. It has provided me with opportunities to enhance my personal, academic and professional life every semester. The personal relationships I have formed with professors have led to internships both domestic and international as well as research projects that have given me the experience I need for my future. If you are thinking about the University of Richmond you already know about the amazing programs and the top notch education you will receive. If you didn't know the food is some of the best in the nation and Richmond City provides even more delicious options ( Cous-Cous.)You most likely have seen the astonishing beauty of this campus and yes it always looks that pretty! If there was one thing I would change would be to allow students to swim in the gorgeous lake that lies in the center of campus. While stunning to look at as the sun sets and the water glistens, a little splash in the spring when things get warm would make my experience here at Richmond the best I could ever imagine.

Students at the University of Richmond are stereotyped as rich, white, preppy kids from the NorthEast. On the surface this could seem accurate but Richmond and it's students pride ourselves on being diverse. You will meet a lot of people from New Jersey and Long Island but also from Washington State (like me) and Alaska. One of my closest friends is from Guatemala who went to high school in Norway. Another is from Jersey but he bikes everywhere, eats vegetarian and has traveled the world studying social justice. Sure a lot of students wear Vineyard Vines and Sperrys but others enjoy comfy old sweaters and jeans with patches. At the University of Richmond you will never feel alone or one of hundreds, tossed into a stereotype but a part of a diverse community, adding your own splash of color.

Ryan

I love Richmond. The amenities are absolutely amazing and everybody on the campus is so friendly and helpful. This is definitely a small school, but that is not a limiting factor at all. People are always hanging out and having a good time and are not defining themselves by a certain group. The school is always working on new initiatives for students and the administration, particularly President Ayers is fantastic. I had Dean Benner as my academic advisor coming to school and I was extremely impressed how the accessible he was and how much he actually helped guide me with any questions I had. The only real complaints I hear on campus are that there are limited late-night on campus food items and that the school can be a little small.

The academics at this school are top notch. The largest class I have taken so far has been 21 students, for an intro level business course. I am pursuing a double major in both the Robins School of Business and the Jepson School of Leadership and I have loved all my teachers. They truly care about you and want to make sure that you know the material. Last semester I had a professor agree to meet with me at 10pm the day before the exam and he answered all my questions throughly for over 2 hours. I dont think there are many other schools where that will happen. If you are coming to Richmond expect to have a rigorous courseload. To achieve success, you will most likely be studying or doing homework every night. While students can skate by without that daily work, I usually find that an hour of work per class a night is a recipe for success. The classes are small and engaging so participation is important, especially since most teachers count participation in your final grade.

Richmond can tend to have a stereotype of possessing a lot of students who are viewed as being rich/snobbish/elitist. That's what I always heard prior to my attendance at Richmond and I do not feel that is an accurate description. You can certainly find those stereotypical kids on campus but many of my Richmond classmates are the nicest and down-to-earth people that I know.

University of Richmond administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.