University of Richmond

« See more reviews of University of Richmond

Students are UR are hard workers. These are the students who have worked hard to excel in high school in academics, athletics, leadership positions and extra-cirriculars. The student body itself is extraordinarily diverse as we respresent some of the best students from across the country. Students run the spectrum of political involvement and hold a wide variety of beliefs, yet this dedication to excellence may be one of our biggest unifying traits as a school. This driven group of students has chosen to be in an environment that challenges them academically. At the same time, fun is also an important aspect of Richmond life. UR Spiders like to work hard and play hard.

We have a very interesting mix of students at UR. There are the frat boys and sorority girls, who tend to band together. However, there are also tons of religious communities, clubs, sports teams, and other organizations where people find their niche. Most people are very engaged in the student body and community. The Bonner scholars have substantial service projects in the greater Richmond area and are prominent volunteers in local schools and nonprofits. The wardrobe of UR students spans a wide spectrum: from J. Crew to sweatpants and a t-shirt. Though, on average, Richmond students are pretty well-dressed, often in dresses or khakis with Oxford shirts.

At Richmond the white, upper class portion of the socio-economic scale is definately the most prominent. I think that, for many minority students, it's a little disconcerting during the first few weeks. However, I've got many friends who aren't white or upper class. My friend, who happens to be African American, told me that during orientation he thought he would hate it here because he felt out of place. After the first week, however, he felt comfortable and happy. Different types of students deffinately interact on campus. It's not a matter of excluding people based on looks or anything, I think groups here are formed on interests and personalities.

The typical Richmond student is primarily white (I am Vietnamese American). There are not a lot of minorities here at the school, although we are desperately trying to bring awareness of everyone's culture to the university. Hopefully, it's working. We have a lot of ethnic-based organizations such Asian Beats, Black Student Alliance, International Club, Spanish and Latino Student Alliance, Multicultural Student Union, South Asian Student Alliance, and more. Most URichmond students are from north eastern parts of the US. Some are from North Carolina but there are several students from all over the country and world.

The best word to use to describe Richmond students is involved. We all take part in numerous activites and extracurriculars and love to have lots to do. There are at least 250 student organizations on campus, and the average student is involved in at least 3 of these at any one time. Students at Richmond are generally preppy and dress nicely to class. A fair amount of us are from the Northeast and come from predominately middle to upper-middle class familes. We are more conservative than the average college campus, but very moderate on the political spectrum.

There is little diversity here. People aren't very nice either, especially if your on fraternity territory. They swarm, so watch out, don't start any fights. Black students tend to hang with blacks, whites with whites, outside of the athletic teams. While unfortunate, I can't imagine its much different than most schools. Students seem overly concerned with money and what job they will get, especially in the business school, but that's not too surprising. There seems to be a lot of sleep lost over grades so kids will get the best internships and whatnot.

I felt out of place at Richmond. I was often looked down upon because I couldn't dress myself in expensive name brands or didnt go out to get wasted every weekend. Cliques are common, and most students are from the North--New Jersey (especially), Connecticut, New York, and Massachusetts, just to name a few states. Richmond is just beginning to get the idea of what "activism" really is. Most of the clubs and organizations are all talk and no show. I think the most of what we do for a cause is raise money (surprise surprise)

If people are looking for a lot of diversity, then Richmond is not the place to find it. The students are mostly white. There are a lot of people from the Northeast, but there are also a lot of people from all over. People who don't really like Richmond tend to describe the students as fake, but thats not really it. Everyone is really great, friendly and nice, but they are definitely very stylish and everyone gets pretty dressed up for class. There is definitely a bunch of different crowds though.

The student body at UofR is diverse in every sense of the word. There is not one dominant race, religion, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, or group of students that dominate the population. Nobody would step onto campus and feel that there are no other students like them and that they are out of place. Students come from all over the country, and my group of friends alone come from a breadth of places ranging from Illinois to Kansas to New York.

There is a club or student group that is fit for everyone. For activities that we don't already have, it is extremely easy to start. Richmond wants every type of student to fit in. There are predominantly white students; however, there are students from many different ethnic and religious backgrounds. A lot of students are from the Northeast. Students are very active and like to have a lot on their plate. They are motivated and want to succeed.