University of Richmond

« See more reviews of University of Richmond

Recently there have been a lot of prejudices on campus which is a result I think of the lack of diversity on campus. However, I also have found that students and the administration are doing a really good job of changing this and becoming a more unified campus. I went to several events last semester like "The Meeting" and the open forum on racism which I found very enligtening and I thought a fair number of students attended these which was good. Most students "dress up" for class unless you are an athlete, at least that is what it seems to be from my perspective. I feel slightly uncomfortable if I dress down in sweatpants and a T-shirt when going to class because everyone else usually looks nice.

richmond students are predominantly white and from the northeast. anything else is considered a minority. minorities on campus have a bunch of groups and are open to letting anyone come to their events. i have a friend from the bahamas who is starting a club for islanders. sometimes i think it's great that we have so many groups on campus for different ethnicities to meet and get to know each other; however, sometimes that means only deepening the divide between races. the only kind of student i think would feel out of place at richmond is someone extremely punk. the kids here mostly look like they stepped out of a jcrew catalog, and someone different really stands out.

Again, homogeneous, mostly white, a good chunk fairly religious. There are several frat boys and sorority girls as well. Students are predominantly center, with I believe a few more leaning to the right. Different types of students can interact, but such interactions seem to be relatively short lasting, they tend to revert back to the status quo. Of course, people can willingly try to break down these lines, but that is there choice. Freshmans dorms are the best place to meet people, after freshman year, the sense of unity seems to fall. As for what they wear, I have no idea, mostly button down popped colors and abercrombie and fitch, i dont really pay attention.

Most Richmond students dress nice to class. Everyone likes to look cute. There is some de facto segregation between black students and whites. Let me get myself straight- as far as I am concerned there is not a racism problem. I can't explain it but black students here tend to stick together (I blame the pre-oreintation program, which allows minorities to arrive on campus before the rest of the student body. Therefore, the minorities get to know eachother first and that's who they are comfortable with). It's a weird thing but to my knowledge its everyones own choice who they hang out with, no racism, but thats how it tends to be.

While you will find some preppy boys and girls on campus wearing polos, madras shorts, sun dresses, and Rainbow sandals, most students wear jeans a a T-shirt to class or gym clothes. Most students work out on a regular basis because our gym is so nice. It has really convenient hours (6am-12 midnight), and tons of machines. There is also racquet courts, basketball courts, a swimming pool, tons of cardio classes, an indoor track, and a co-ed sauna. Most Richmond students come from the Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York area. But you can find students from all over the United States and from other parts of the world too.

The non-scholars are basically all from the same backgrounds, upper-middle class, white, and preppy. We have a good amount of international students and they organize some really fun activities such as socials, formals, clubs, etc. I would definitely suggest getting involved with the international students as they lively up the place a bit. In the dining hall, athletes sit in one section, frat/sorority kids in the other, non-frats on the other and then some regulars mingle. A lot of cliques and not much interaction between cliques. Most students are from the north, Jersey, PA, New York, etc.

If you don't fit the preppy Richmond stereotype, you may feel out of place. It's not unusual for people to really dress up for class...think sundresses in March. Polo shirts are popular. Pajamas and sweats are never seen in class. Most UR students are either from Virginia or from the Mid-Atlantic, and are well-off. Students tend to be more politically apathetic than aware. Racial/religious/LGBT groups tend to form cliques because it's harder for them to get accepted by the rest of the student body. The student body in general is cliquey and it's hard to make new friends after freshman year.

most kids here are middle to upper middle class people. Black and white. Not too many asians, but they're here. People who like different kinds of things would be out of place here. Like, people aren't upper to middle class, incredibly comfortable to the point of complacency, athletic, preppy, somewhat materialistic, and fairly superficial people. Most students seem to wear clothing to class. Most people here are fairly similar, so there is little interaction between very different individuals. Politics is sort of a passing hobby for a few people here, not too big for most.

Students are all pretty much white and somewhat dress up although it really depends. Polo shirts and dresses/skirts are not uncommon to wear to class everyday, but sweats and stuff are also well represented, especially in the colder months. There is often a disconnect between students and the general athlete population, and fraternities often stick together. Students are a mix of political views and political awareness is somewhat a part of campus, but at the same time students are so busy actual action is stunted by general apathy.

most kids are very rich, well dressed, preppy, cliquish; many, but not all, are not real open-minded about meeting new people and many, but not all, have been given everything unconditionally by their parents no, different types of students do not interact student that would feel out of place: those that are not rich, well dressed, preppy, cliquish, those that are not white (Richmond is about 90% white), and those that are not into loud and crowded parties most students from NEW JERSEY, New York, Pennsylvania, New England