University of Richmond

« See more reviews of University of Richmond

If you're not rich and PREPPY you won't fit in here. As much as richmond likes the pretend, the campus is EXTREMELY monogomous. There is little diversity, and most people dress alike, act alike, and think alike. If you dont fit in the steryotype, you will most likely not like this school very much. Lots of people are snobby and conceited, and act like they're better than if you aren't "like them." Richmond sells Vera Bradley and Vineyard Vines in the bookstore - that gives you an idea of the demographic here. There are BMWS and Audis in the parking lot. Boys wear tight, pastel, pink pants. If its above 55 out, about 75% of the girls will wear sundresses (with the obligatory pearls, of course). IF YOU ARE NOT PREPPY BEWARE. you MUST realize that this steryotype is accurate. IF you fit in, its an amazing school i'm sure. People LOVE Richmond if it's right for them. They think its the best place on earth. It is a great place in many ways (particulaly academics, campus, weather, location). Please just be aware that there is a definite demographic which dominates it, regardless of what they try to tell you or how the brochure looks. Obviously, these generalizations don't hold true for everyone. Clearly I don't fit in here, but I still have friends, i still go out, and i still have fun. So it's not all bad and not everyone is the same. Just be aware of what you're getting into. It's not the real world, and it is not for everyone.

I can sincerely say I didn't really enjoy my first year at Richmond. It just isn't the place for me--not accepting, open, or diverse enough--but I do know many people that are perfectly happy there, and have a great deal of fun. It all depends on what you are looking for and how well adjusted of a person you are. If you don't have any idea who you are or are not strong enough to maintain your individuality in a majority of people who have the same background and priorities, Richmond is not the place for you, because you can be assured if you are different, it will be a challenge to find friends. I also suggest visiting before making a final decision on your University. I know a lot of people visit Richmond and are in awe over how beautiful the campus is (which, we do have a gorgeous campus) but make sure you scratch that superficial of a surface. Ask different students what they think, pay attention to behaviors of people, notice details, etc.

The campus is just plain beautiful. All we have are giant red brick buildings and walkways and trees. Fall this year was unlike anything I have ever seen and I've been to some pretty cool places. We have amazing facilities including a brand new gym and fitness center. The lake is great, of course. I was very impressed with the fact that the commons overlooked a lake. How many people get to say that? I know I sound like a public service announcement or a paid plant but I am serious and mean everything I've said so far in this survey. Richmond is a great school full of awesome people. I have had my share of difficulties and am still working on some but so far the good has far out weighed the bad. And I think that is what college is all about. How are you going to learn how to adapt and deal if nothing bad ever happens? How are you suppose to appreciate the awesome times if things never suck?

I fucking hate this place. The girls are ugly (but think they're attractive, of course), the guys think they're gods gift to the Earth, the facilities and food here are pretty mediocre. Class selection is ridiculous and dumb. You simply cannot get what you want in course selections and don't expect to get the professor you want or even your second choice even if you get the class you need. Do expect to be surrounded by the work hard/play hard types who overly stress about tests, papers, and exams and at the same time are completely inept at the "play hard" part of that equation. I'm sure I'm leaving a lot out of this, and I know I can't fully explain why this place sucks because a lot of it is personal. What I've said is relatively accurate. You won't think the parties are good unless you lived a sheltered life at home, which I get the feeling a lot of kids here did.

I feel that the stundents along with the faculty/administartors have much to learn about equality for all people. They fail to realize how much of true assholes they are beginning to show as events of racism continue to occur hear dealt with unfairly. Minorities understand the majoirty is white, but we will not submit to just rolling over and accepting these injustices. I belive this school can change, but those hear do not want to change.

Absolutely not worth the new price of admission. I applied and subsequently chose to go to Richmond based in part and its extraordinarily reasonable tuition for such an esteemed education. However if I were applying just a year later the odds are much slimmer I would have considered it so highly. If I had gone on to enroll I would have been dissapointed at a University that is noticably lacking in a number of fields.

Richmond is SO MUCH FUN! If you love crazy, drunken dance parties on the weekend and working hard during the week to get a great education, you will love Richmond. Also, most juniors try to study abroad during their first semester junior year. So many people do it and go places all over the world. Almost everyone lives on campus for all four years, which makes it a very bubbly place.

Richmond has a great balence of strengths. It's in a residential part of Richmond, but the city is so accessible that there is always a lot to do. The Greek community is strong and a blast to be a part of, but you can be independent and still maintain a fun social life. The students like to work hard and play hard, so you're learning a lot while also having the time of your life.

This school fosters an education that is grounded in lived experiences. Academic freedom is given to students who wish to create majors, minors and concentrations. Professors are the best resource for any student. The community of students lives close together and the social atmosphere is relaxed and includes non-drinkers, light-drinkers, and heavy drinkers.

Richmond is a place I hated at first but have grown to like and even started to love. Take a look at it and if you truly want to learn and meet some very interesting people this is the place for you. They set you up with success for the rest of your life, there is a reason why this is one of the best schools in America.