University of Richmond

« See more reviews of University of Richmond

To be quite honest, it's mostly true. A lot of the students here, like me, are here on a scholarship--but if you aren't able to keep up the pretense that you have a lot of money, expect to be ostracized and miss out on a lot of off-campus social get-togethers. The surrounding area, Carytown, is full of really neat places to shop and eat: but only if you are pulling in some serious cash. There is also a lack of diversity on the Richmond campus--whether that diversity is socio-economic, racial, or religious, there is a lack of it here. Most of the students here are white, very well off, and christian. (The campus tries to give off the impression it's accepting to all cultures and religions, but the pretense is constantly being unshrouded with a huge christmas tree in the dining hall in December, or the fact that a lot you never see the international students mingling with any students native to the US)

Students at the University of Richmond come from all over ther nation and all over the world. My apartment next year will have people from Kansas, Delaware, Illinois, West Virginia, and California. In addition 8% of the student population is comprised of International students, who really add a whole different dimension to our education. Although students here tend to dress preppy, that does not mean we all have the money to afford J.Crew. We come from unique backgrounds from all over the nation and the world and bring to the table many different cultures and new insights.

The stereotype that everyone is rich and snobby is definitely inaccurate. Because we are a private school, there is bound to be rich and preppy people who are able to pay the ridiculous high tuition (although URichmond offers a lot of grants and scholarship). Not all "rich" students are not snobby but they may be ignorance or a bit close-minded. Of course, there are many great people at Richmond who are fun and quirky (like me!). Many are also brilliantly smart. Yes, some people dress up for classes and football games (sundresses and collared shirts, not me though).

For the most part, yes. If you stay out of groups like the athletes. The average student here would fit best into the Northern, stuck up category. They embody this with their Greek life especially. They're overly exclusive and think their shit doesn't stink...and think their parties are actually good. For the most part girls are pretty mediocre to disgusting here give or take a few good looking ones here and there which are few and far between.

For a lot of students they are. I'd say about 85% of students wear preppy clothes pretty much year round (especially in warm weather). It's not stuck up though. I think most kids come here getting some assistance in paying and the ones that don't are smart enough to realize that they're lucky to have enough money to do that. It's not like people don't understand what an opportunity they've got.

To an extent. There is your "typical" Richmond Girl or Guy who wears preppy clothing. And of course if its warm there will be dresses with Uggs and if its raining there will be funky rain boots. But there are those of us who either don't fit into the Abercrombie category at all or are somewhere in between.

Not all the white students feel that way, but a large portion of the white student population feels that way. Contrary to their beliefs the black people here are just as intelligent as them or they would not be there and as far as athletics, most of them are mad because they cannot play them anymore

There are a lot of rich students, but not everyone is. The preppy stereotype isn't really true-of course there are people who are preppy, but a lot of people just dress really well. They are stylish and fashionable.

Yes, but there are some poorer people and a little bit of ethnic and racial diversity. If you look hard enough you can find the people with personality.

Not by any means. The school has made diverisity an important factor and has been very succesful. The students are also very friendly.