University of Richmond

« See more reviews of University of Richmond

Note number 1: Richmond is much harder than I thought it would be. Note number 2: I'm still alive and still here. Even though I thought I wasn't going to make it last semester, I did. My professors were extremely helpful and I figured out that I can handle a lot more than I thought. Obviously I have had professors I do not like and taken classes you couldn't pay me take again. Yet I have discovered my passion here and the Journalism department is full of people who are just made of awesome. Seriously, the Department of Journalism (as they're officially called) is amazing. The professors are smart and experienced. They have amazing connections and internship opportunities. They are just fun people who know what the heck they're talking about. Getting a Liberal Arts education is also very nice and helpful. I am glad there is an eclectic class selection because I like a lot of different things and enjoy taking a variety of classes instead of being in the same thing all the time. Sometimes I need a break from writing and want to do a little music or art, etc. But that also means I have to take things like math, which I hate with a fiery passion. Thank God for Elementary Programming! I am irked by the URAware Wellness class requirement, which is an alcohol awareness class. Basically, someone talked to us for two hours about how many drinks we could have a day and how drinking is better for you than not. I walked out thinking, "why did I pay for this?" Overall the academics at UofR are tough but worth it. If you're ready for some serious library hours and intellectual and political conversations with friends, head on over!

Professors definatley know my name and will know it for the next four years... it's not just me. It's amazing. Favorite class: Organic Chemistry because I find it fun and nobody else does because they can't do it. Leave favorite: CORE! Study habits: People are good about keeping up with their work. We are a top 25 school in the nation. We wouldn'tbe there if we didn't work. Class participation: In most classes, yes. BUT in CORE probably not. You can find people to have intellectual conversations with BUT the sterotypical richmonder probably won't. They are too busy getting fucked while they're drunk at the apartment or the Lodges. Competitive: YES Most unique class: American Lit, Radical perspectives... basically a class that is trying to stop capitalism from turning into fascism which at Richmond is big. My major is actually Biochemistry and Molecular biology. I love the department a lot. They are an amazing group of dedicated scientists. Time outside of class with Profs: For me it doesn't really happen but I know pleanty to people who hang out with profs other times. Academic Requirements: They're the usual... no complaints. Getting a job, or learning... Hmmmm probably getting a job. Actually yes, getting a job. I will not say that they sacrifice learning for its own sake but getting a job is very high on the list.

Since I am an athlete that has done very well here athletically and academically, professor do in fact know who I am. My favorite class is a tie between foundations of Education and Journalism. My least favorite class was our mandatory CORE class. Students study here all the time, it is hard to find a time when the libraries are not packed. Yes class participation here is very common. Many teachers base large portions of grades on participation so that students get the complete fufillment from the class. I do believe students have intellectual conversations outside of class due to this being a private school with high standards. Students are very competitive. The most unique class I have taken is Theatre-Performance Ensemble. My major is Sociology with a concentration in Power, Inequalities, and Diversity. I am also minoring in history and business. I do not spend much time with professors out of class, but I do spend time with a couple professors and some occasions. I feel Richmond's academic requirements are ridiculous to some extent, but being a private school they feel they are necessary. The education at Richmond is definitely for getting a job. Businesses and job opportunities respect a person with a university of Richmond degree due to the prestigiousness of this school.

Professors at Richmond are some of the school's greatest assets. With a 9:1 student to faculty ratio and the average class size of 17, there is a lot of student-professor interaction. Many classes are discussion based but even lecture style classes are heavy on class participation. Students are always expected to be prepared for class and a small classroom setting requires it. The work load is sizable but for students who can master time-management there is always enough time for fun. Classes at UR are unique because professors want students to be able to apply the theoretical material they learn in the classroom. As a result, students often work out in the community practicing the skills and utilizing the theories they have been taught. This includes performing leadership asessments of organizations in the community or being a part of the Student Managment Fund which has the opportunity to invest $300,000 into the stock market each year. Aside from tough academics that stress skills like critical thinking, students really are prepared to go out into the work place and the school provides a variety of opportunities to secure jobs. Job expos, practice interviews, resume reviews, and hosting large corporations on campus are the norm and it certainly pays off.

The classes are fairly challenging. No matter what subject or class you take, prepare not to get much sleep and spent a lot of time sitting in the library. Students here are from the top of their class, so one can also come to expect a fair amount of competition--only because everyone here is an overachiever and wants to excel at everything they do. Also, if you are a fan of skipping class, Richmond should not be your top pick in colleges. Since the classes are so small, expect the professor to know your name--and also notice if you arent there. Class participation is a must. Group discussions are common so your opinion matters--and therefore your voice is required to be heard. I know a lot of students that have a very close and good relationship with their professors outside of class. It's not uncommon to see students and their teachers eating lunch together or office visits by students just for a chat. Academically, Richmond is very challenging. I know several people who sometimes spend the night in the library, and I myself am no exception. Most of the University is business oriented (Robins School of Business) so I would say Richmond is mostly geared toward preparing you for the workforce.

Due to the small class sizes at Richmond, all of your professors know your name. If you make an effort to get to know them, usually they know what extracurricular interests you have as well. Because of this, many professors ask students to help them with research projects, which they know the student is interested in. Every first-year student at UR takes and introductory writing and reading course called CORE. It's supposed to give each student the same foundation as they enter into the University. CORE is taught by professors from all departments and in a variety of ways. Class participation is pretty common. Since class sizes are small, you have a lot of opportunities to discuss reading and class materials in a close group setting. Even outside of the classroom, UR brings many distinguished speakers and scholars to campus, and students can attend for free. Part of my reason for choosing Richmond related to the academics. The curriculum at UR is challenging, but manageable. Because the University cross-lists many classes, most students have more than one major or minor. Watching seniors graduate, I know that a UR degree is a great foundation for obtaining good jobs.

Academics are tough here at Richmond. People are always in the library working hard. But I think the atmosphere here seems to be work hard, play hard, which is nice because you don't want to burn yourself out! Professors will know your name here, and ask you where you were if you miss class or ask if you are feeling better if you were sick. The professors are for the most part outstanding. They really care about their students. For a macro-economics class, I was sick and missed a class and my professor, Professor Dolan, allowed me to call him at home so that he could explain a concept to me so that I could finish a problem set that was due the next class. There are always outside educational opportunities at Richmond as well including speakers, round table discussions, and clubs. Richmond requires you to get a full liberal arts background by taking different classes across departments (math, science, literature, visual or performing art, etc.) so you really get a broad education. The education here is a good mix between academia and teaching you things that will actually be applicable in your career field.

Academics at Richmond are amazing. Classes are very small and intimate; everyone participates and is actively involved. Attendance is mandatory for sucess and to pass. Skipping class is rare and has consequences. Professors know your name - always. They talk to you outisde of class, via email, around campus; some people are even friends with their professors and "hang out" with them. Students spend a LOT of time studying here. The library is the "cool" place to be on any given night; you'll see all yoru friends there. It's a social zone - do your work and see your friends at once. If you're not at the library or don't have work to do, you're the one who's out of place. The opportunities are awesome. There are field trips (one calss went on an airplane to new york this winter!), famous guest lecturers, and a multitude of opportunities for students. Lots of support and help getting internships, study abroad, and pursuing activities in the community. There are SO MANY great opportunities this school has to offer and it is an enriching, excellent learning environment in all ways.

The University of Richmond has a very strong, serious academic culture. Students really have a passion for learning. Most classes are discussion based, under 20 students, and involve a diverse array of learning techniques. When admitted to UR, students can take classes in any of the 5 academic schools that make up our University: the School of Arts and Sciences, Robins School of Business, Jepson School of Leadership, T.C. Williams School of Law, and School of Professional and Continuing Studies. The University is great about including undergraduates in all of these schools, even though your main area of study may not be in more than one. As a result of the small class sizes, students really get to know their professors well. I have gotten to know several of my professors at UR very well, and have met their families, eaten dinner with them, and been funded by UR to do research with them. There are so many great majors and minors at the University of Richmond, and behind each of them are amazing professors, classroom environments, and out-of-the-classroom learning opportunities.

The academics at this school are top notch. The largest class I have taken so far has been 21 students, for an intro level business course. I am pursuing a double major in both the Robins School of Business and the Jepson School of Leadership and I have loved all my teachers. They truly care about you and want to make sure that you know the material. Last semester I had a professor agree to meet with me at 10pm the day before the exam and he answered all my questions throughly for over 2 hours. I dont think there are many other schools where that will happen. If you are coming to Richmond expect to have a rigorous courseload. To achieve success, you will most likely be studying or doing homework every night. While students can skate by without that daily work, I usually find that an hour of work per class a night is a recipe for success. The classes are small and engaging so participation is important, especially since most teachers count participation in your final grade.